Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Massacre à Paris

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Massacre à Paris

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 am

koontz1973 wrote:...
Have you sent nobodies or isaiah a quick PM yet over the size issue?

size confirmed for 600x900 Small from tnb80 and i'll try to stick to that.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Massacre à Paris CB images

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:05 am

koontz1973 wrote:... can a different colour be found for one of them (for CB reasons)...

yellow replaces the red, koontz, i think from the images below some of these colours may be good... O:)

Protanope
Click image to enlarge.

Deuteranope
Click image to enlarge.

Tritanope
Click image to enlarge.

These images will be posted in front page.
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [29.11.12] V4

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:26 am

All looking much better cairns. I do like the yellow / green. :D One thing though, why use pictures of the monarchs? Everything is so nicely drawn, why not draw those as well? It was something I was thinking of asking for the Spanish Armada map but the pictures seem to suit that one. This one for some reason look a little odd. To have these fine detailed pictures over a very nice but obviously drawn image. What are your thoughts on trying to draw them yourself :?:

Lastly, bonuses ;) and please, just to make my life easier, can you please use the big image tags. Trying to see you work through your medals is frustrating. :evil:

Before you ask, I am keeping my eye on this, but you of all people do not need hand holding in this part.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [29.11.12] V4

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:22 am

koontz1973 wrote:All looking much better cairns. I do like the yellow / green. :D One thing though, why use pictures of the monarchs? Everything is so nicely drawn, why not draw those as well?

thanks koontz, but long way to go acquire standard....i am not in favour of drawing over faces of important people as these provide historical connections to the past...besides all that area is planned for change.

It was something I was thinking of asking for the Spanish Armada map but the pictures seem to suit that one. This one for some reason look a little odd. To have these fine detailed pictures over a very nice but obviously drawn image. What are your thoughts on trying to draw them yourself :?:

i'm pleased you didn't...not in favour as stated above.

Lastly, bonuses ;) and please, just to make my life easier, can you please use the big image tags. Trying to see you work through your medals is frustrating. :evil:
Before you ask, I am keeping my eye on this, but you of all people do not need hand holding in this part.

sorry, i keep forgetting that not everyone has an interface of 1680x1050...but i need it.
Private cairnswk

Re: Massacre à Paris [29.11.12] V5

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 am

Version 5.
Bonuses are in...plus the conditional of holding Henry or Charles.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [29.11.12] V5 - Bonuses

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

cairns, I am having a lot of trouble reading any of the text that is not part of the playing area. So you know, the white text under the title is he easiest for me to read but some of the bonus text is almost unreadable. You have the fleur de lis in colour so maybe the text can go into white. An idea, use it or not, this is up to you, enlarge the fleur de lis and put the number on it. That might give you room to bold the text like under the title.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:05 pm

The map is much easier to read now for sure ; I can more clearly see the bonus borders. I agree with koontz that the portraits would look cooler drawn but of course this is easy for us to say. :)
I did prefer the swordsmen before though, the old image is gone so I can't say why. I think that they all look like girls now.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby generalhead on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I am confused about the word impracticable. That means impossible and not impassable.
The building above the wording cour du louvre blends in to the ground, a different color might look good.
Some of the chimneys on the buildings might need a touch more detail than black squares.
This version is easier to understand.

A good bit of the men in this time period either did have long hair or they wore wigs.
show

It might be neat too for the men with black underwear to be wearing a green cape like the one man in this picture. I will leave that up to
your artistic discretion though.
show

sorry this pic isn't very big but maybe you can still spot him.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 pm

koontz1973 wrote:cairns, I am having a lot of trouble reading any of the text that is not part of the playing area. So you know, the white text under the title is he easiest for me to read but some of the bonus text is almost unreadable. You have the fleur de lis in colour so maybe the text can go into white. An idea, use it or not, this is up to you, enlarge the fleur de lis and put the number on it. That might give you room to bold the text like under the title.

OK, i give you enlarged FLD with numbers on it, and increased the other text.

Funkyterrance wrote:The map is much easier to read now for sure ; I can more clearly see the bonus borders. I agree with koontz that the portraits would look cooler drawn but of course this is easy for us to say. :)
I did prefer the swordsmen before though, the old image is gone so I can't say why. I think that they all look like girls now.

girls...well only early days...so we'll see...

generalhead wrote:I am confused about the word impracticable. That means impossible and not impassable.
The building above the wording cour du louvre blends in to the ground, a different color might look good.
Some of the chimneys on the buildings might need a touch more detail than black squares.
This version is easier to understand.

A good bit of the men in this time period either did have long hair or they wore wigs.
It might be neat too for the men with black underwear to be wearing a green cape like the one man in this picture. I will leave that up to
your artistic discretion though.
sorry this pic isn't very big but maybe you can still spot him.

the word impracticable is the french translation for "impassable"
if someone who is fluentent in french has an alternativer i.e. sempaispellcheck,
i would be glad to hear it...for now it will remain until i hear from sempai.

OK, OK. enough of the graphics comments and suggestions. That comes later.
For now, please let's get down to discussion on gameplay.
Does everyone hear.....GAMEPLAY please.
Private cairnswk

Re: Massacre à Paris [30.11.12] V6 - Gameplay

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Gameplay discussion please.

Version 6.
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [30.11.12] V6 - Gameplay

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 pm

cairns, clarify this for me please.
Apart from the neutral starts, you have 116 (first post) starting positions. Is this correct?
You have on the map that the duellers are +1 auto deploy. Will players also get deployable troops? If so, how many. Small games you would get rather a lot. How do you counter first go advantage? If no deployable troops, this needs to be stated somewhere on the map and in the game play notes.
With the black pants, whilst they are easier to see now why not have a different shirt colour and trousers. The Garde du Corps (royal bodyguard) where red with a blue coat. Bloody hell, did they not have colour blind people back then. :lol: But this might be a better way to show getting into the building.
You say, duellers immediately forward of a passageway have access to an opponent. I take it you mean the breaks in the impassables? This might be tricky but how about showing a dueller straddling the divides?

Text is a lot better, thanks apart from bottom left. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I am color blind as well so I hope that this is taken into consideration whilst fine tuning this map as I am already a fan of it. While I love the Waterloo map I have had some real troubles with it in the past due to zones being too close in color for me to distinguish. Give the guys yellow and pink tights if you have to. :P
Ok, on topic with gameplay...
My biggest concerns with maps are drop issues. That being said I may need clarification on the attack routes. For instance, in the case of H01, CO2, CA, and HB, are all four of these terts considered adjacent? Also, from what I can tell you can only assault the buildings from the front? If this is the case I feel that the Cour du Lourve zone may be a game ender once secured. An even drop would of course delay this progression but an uneven one seems like it could make for a short and potentially unbalanced game. This may or may not apply to Place du Carousel as well but these things are of course hard to tell until the map is actually played. Perhaps a route between those two zones, either by the little alleyway or from Carousel to the building?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I am color blind as well so I hope that this is taken into consideration whilst fine tuning this map as I am already a fan of it. While I love the Waterloo map I have had some real troubles with it in the past due to zones being too close in color for me to distinguish. Give the guys yellow and pink tights if you have to. :P
Ok, on topic with gameplay...

terrance, did you check the previous page of posts and the first page to see that there is a CB version already done?
If you had, you would know whether these colours are suitable for you.
Private cairnswk

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Cairns,

A nice idea but I really can't tell which regions can attack each other at the moment.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:...
My biggest concerns with maps are drop issues. That being said I may need clarification on the attack routes. For instance, in the case of H01, CO2, CA, and HB, are all four of these terts considered adjacent?
OK, i will fix that issue over borders.

Also, from what I can tell you can only assault the buildings from the front? If this is the case I feel that the Cour du Lourve zone may be a game ender once secured. An even drop would of course delay this progression but an uneven one seems like it could make for a short and potentially unbalanced game. This may or may not apply to Place du Carousel as well but these things are of course hard to tell until the map is actually played. Perhaps a route between those two zones, either by the little alleyway or from Carousel to the building?

I assume you mean Place de Carrousel 4...
i really don't want open up that route between PdC4 and Cour du Louvre...while i understand you have concerns about it, you haven't explained it well enough to convince me that this would in the best interest of the even balanced game.

This might be tricky but how about showing a dueller straddling the divides?

i think that would seem logocial to do, but it might also confuse others quite a deal.
I have a fix.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:06 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Cairns,

A nice idea but I really can't tell which regions can attack each other at the moment.

Oh, dear how many lessons does it take to connect the dots.

MB, the instructions say that duelers can assault other duelers in their immediate vicinity i.e. the guy next door...
does not that give you some idea of who can assault who from simply looking at the map on either side of the region borders? :roll:
Private cairnswk

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:16 pm

I don't know if this would be graphical or technical so please don't get mad at me.
The gentleman at c36 might need turned the other way, it looks like he is dancing with his partner.
At first I had a hard time telling who could attack who on the old maps, but with the new legend it is pretty easy to understand.
This should be in the main foundry correct?
Sergeant generalhead

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 pm

generalhead wrote:I don't know if this would be graphical or technical so please don't get mad at me.
The gentleman at c36 might need turned the other way, it looks like he is dancing with his partner.

Promise i won't get mad if you create humour :)
yes, those duelers at those angles will be difficult but that is a graphics issues...gameplay discussion please.

At first I had a hard time telling who could attack who on the old maps, but with the new legend it is pretty easy to understand.
This should be in the main foundry correct?

I hope it will get easier for all with the new version i am working on. ;)
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [1.12.12] V7 - Gameplay

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm

koontz1973 wrote:cairns, clarify this for me please.
Apart from the neutral starts, you have 116 (first post) starting positions. Is this correct?
Yes

You have on the map that the duellers are +1 auto deploy. Will players also get deployable troops? If so, how many. Small games you would get rather a lot. How do you counter first go advantage? If no deployable troops, this needs to be stated somewhere on the map and in the game play notes.

Perhaps we need to minimise that somehow

With the black pants, whilst they are easier to see now why not have a different shirt colour and trousers. The Garde du Corps (royal bodyguard) where red with a blue coat. Bloody hell, did they not have colour blind people back then. :lol: But this might be a better way to show getting into the building.
Were the Garde Du Corps around in 1574? Yes since 1419...so i will see about that later in graphics...please remind me if i forget. However, i'll also take account that they were red and blue and we've already had troubles with red for CB issues.

You say, duellers immediately forward of a passageway have access to an opponent. I take it you mean the breaks in the impassables? This might be tricky but how about showing a dueller straddling the divides?
Text is a lot better, thanks apart from bottom left. ;)

Those issues should be fixed this version 7

generalhead wrote:...This should be in the main foundry correct?
your guess is as good as mine ;)

ManBungalow wrote:Cairns,

I hope this is clearer MB. :)

Funkyterrance wrote:...That being said I may need clarification on the attack routes. For instance, in the case of H01, CO2, CA, and HB, are all four of these terts considered adjacent? Also, from what I can tell you can only assault the buildings from the front? ...

I hope this version clarifies this for you :)

Version 7
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Awesome! every thing has been made clear.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Awesome! every thing has been made clear. Much better.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Massacre à Paris [1.12.12] V7-P3 Gameplay

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm

and this is a general 88s vision (from xml) of what it may look like at start
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [1.12.12] V7-P3 Gameplay

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Al right cairns, I can start to see where this one is going now, it take me time sometimes to see these things. All looking good. As always, sticky for a few days and then you get the move.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:22 am

koontz1973 wrote:Al right cairns, I can start to see where this one is going now, it take me time sometimes to see these things. All looking good. As always, sticky for a few days and then you get the move.

Thank-you koontz for keeping as always the stuff upper lip...holding up the process...instead of getting this into workshop where players can see it the gameplay discussion area, you're going to hold it up for a few more days...congratuations...are you sure you didn't work for the Brits before WWI before the "parade ended"...sometimes the bueacracy never ceases to amaze me :roll:
no offense koontz, but holding up a map for the sake of process is simply plain stupid.
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 am

cairnswk wrote:Thank-you koontz for keeping as always the stuff upper lip...holding up the process...instead of getting this into workshop where players can see it the gameplay discussion area, you're going to hold it up for a few more days...congratuations...are you sure you didn't work for the Brits before WWI before the "parade ended"...sometimes the bueacracy never ceases to amaze me :roll:
no offense koontz, but holding up a map for the sake of process is simply plain stupid.

No it is not stupid. And I did not hold the map up for the sake of the process. I held this one up as I was not sure which way you where going with it so until I was, I kept it here as per the drafting room guidelines.
As for the playable image, you only provided bonuses 2 days ago and text that I could read yesterday, and finished that of with the update before your 88 tests. All done whilst I was asleep. I asked you a gameplay question about the starting advantage which you have answered with this:
Perhaps we need to minimise that somehow

You want ideas from us, but you have not given any indication of what your ideas would be, what your preference would be. I gave you the benefit of the doubt as you have made many many maps and gave you the sticky. I did this as soon as I had logged on.

So where in your opinion have I held this up for the sake of it?
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box