No no no no! Not another remake!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 am

They're remaking one of the best movies ever, the Sound of Music now! :x

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/carrie-underwo ... 18311.html
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 am

Pro-tip: Pretend it doesn't exist.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Shameful.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Serbia on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:They're remaking one of the worst movies ever, the Sound of Music now! :x

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/carrie-underwo ... 18311.html


Fixed. I'll be avoiding it like the plague.
User avatar
Captain Serbia
 
Posts: 10056
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Location: Detroit/Cleveland
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby spurgistan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm

For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.


Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
User avatar
Corporal spurgistan
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Wormtown, MA, USA
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby x-raider on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:40 pm

spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.

I 'LOL'ed
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class x-raider
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:32 am
Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby daddy1gringo on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Serbia wrote:... one of the worst movies ever, the Sound of Music ...
spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.
...yeah, no blood, no tits, nothing blows up,...what a frackin' waste of time.
The right answer to the wrong question is still the wrong answer to the real question.
User avatar
Lieutenant daddy1gringo
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:47 am
Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Isabela, NW PR
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby MegaProphet on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult to avoid since it's a made for tv movie
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class MegaProphet
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Serbia on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:
Serbia wrote:... one of the worst movies ever, the Sound of Music ...
spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.
...yeah, no blood, no tits, nothing blows up,...what a frackin' waste of time.


Sorry, that has nothing to do with my reasons for hating that movie. I hate over 95% of the musicals I've ever seen. Singing and dancing make some people happy, but they just make me hate everything. There have been plenty of movies that I've enjoyed that don't have tits or explosions or blood, but Sound of Music isn't one of them.
User avatar
Captain Serbia
 
Posts: 10056
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Location: Detroit/Cleveland
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Serbia wrote:
daddy1gringo wrote:
Serbia wrote:... one of the worst movies ever, the Sound of Music ...
spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.
...yeah, no blood, no tits, nothing blows up,...what a frackin' waste of time.


Sorry, that has nothing to do with my reasons for hating that movie. I hate over 95% of the musicals I've ever seen. Singing and dancing make some people happy, but they just make me hate everything. There have been plenty of movies that I've enjoyed that don't have tits or explosions or blood, but Sound of Music isn't one of them.

It's one of the movies I grew up with and really got me into music. That and the Music Man (they did the samething, a remake).
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby 2dimes on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Hookahs and brothels, bottles of whiskey...
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Serbia wrote: There have been plenty of movies that I've enjoyed that don't have tits or explosions or blood, but Sound of Music isn't one of them.


Name five?
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Serbia on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Serbia wrote: There have been plenty of movies that I've enjoyed that don't have tits or explosions or blood, but Sound of Music isn't one of them.


Name five?


Nice try. Other than Skyfall, I couldn't name you the last 5 movies I've seen.
User avatar
Captain Serbia
 
Posts: 10056
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Location: Detroit/Cleveland
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Meh. I like remakes, in a philosophical sense. I'm not going to judge this one until it comes out.

I'm not sure Carrie Underwood does it for me, but she must be better than Julie Andrews.
show
User avatar
Sergeant DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 4036
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby Gillipig on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:21 am

Are they this desperate to find ideas or do they just figure there's a lot of money to be squuezed out of this? If they were running out of ideas I'd forgive holloywood for their crappy remakes of various successful movies, but I just think the greedy bastards think there's money in this and doesn't care if they taint the legacy in order to roll in some more dough.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby MegaProphet on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:Are they this desperate to find ideas or do they just figure there's a lot of money to be squuezed out of this? If they were running out of ideas I'd forgive holloywood for their crappy remakes of various successful movies, but I just think the greedy bastards think there's money in this and doesn't care if they taint the legacy in order to roll in some more dough.

I don't think it could possibly be them running out of ideas. There's too many places they could look to for ideas. I know of many book series and other musicals that people would love to see made into films for example
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class MegaProphet
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 pm

MegaProphet wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Are they this desperate to find ideas or do they just figure there's a lot of money to be squuezed out of this? If they were running out of ideas I'd forgive holloywood for their crappy remakes of various successful movies, but I just think the greedy bastards think there's money in this and doesn't care if they taint the legacy in order to roll in some more dough.

I don't think it could possibly be them running out of ideas. There's too many places they could look to for ideas. I know of many book series and other musicals that people would love to see made into films for example

So far, those kinds of movies are either hits (Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Harry Potter for example) or complete misses/fails (Eragon comes to mind). And some just should not be made either way (Twilight for example, freakin' sparkly vampires).
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 am

I'd love to see the rest of the Oz books made into movies or a tv series. All we ever get is the first book made over and over again. Now instead of making another book, they are making a prequel and going farther from the rest of the books.

There are over 50 books in the series! Please stop referring to Wizard of Oz as a classic. It's not a classic without the rest. Jack Pumpkin and Raggedy Ann are two characters that were invented in that series.
show
User avatar
Sergeant DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 4036
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
User avatar
Brigadier betiko
 
Posts: 5593
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Paris
Medals: 159
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby spurgistan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:
Serbia wrote:... one of the worst movies ever, the Sound of Music ...
spurgistan wrote:For some reason, my vhs recording of Sound of Music abruptly switched to a special on pandas during the wedding scene. If this remake doesn't do that, it loses about 70% of the reason I enjoyed Sound of Music.
...yeah, no blood, no tits, nothing blows up,...what a frackin' waste of time.


You... know nothing about my taste in movies, broseph. I don't think Pauline Kael knocked the lack of tits or explosions in her famous review of The Sound of Music. But clearly, anybody who doesn't like a movie you like is some sort of caveman.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.


Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
User avatar
Corporal spurgistan
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Wormtown, MA, USA
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby notyou2 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

2dimes wrote:Hookahs and brothels, bottles of whiskey...
I'll hang with you.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant notyou2
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby 2dimes on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm

notyou2 wrote:
2dimes wrote:Hookahs and brothels, bottles of whiskey...
I'll hang with you.

Dirt bikes and airplanes, girls dressed like hippies.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby notyou2 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 pm

2dimes wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
2dimes wrote:Hookahs and brothels, bottles of whiskey...
I'll hang with you.

Dirt bikes and airplanes, girls dressed like hippies.


Love the dead head girls in their granny dresses twirling to Jerry notes.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant notyou2
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby 2dimes on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm

notyou2 wrote:
2dimes wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
2dimes wrote:Hookahs and brothels, bottles of whiskey...
I'll hang with you.

Dirt bikes and airplanes, girls dressed up like hippies.


Love the dead head girls in their granny dresses twirling to Jerry notes.

Locked in with a drummer behind a woman who sings, these are a few of my favorite things.


Ok, I'm just pretending to be cool at the beginning but....
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: No no no no! Not another remake!

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 am

DoomYoshi wrote:I'd love to see the rest of the Oz books made into movies or a tv series. All we ever get is the first book made over and over again. Now instead of making another book, they are making a prequel and going farther from the rest of the books.

There are over 50 books in the series! Please stop referring to Wizard of Oz as a classic. It's not a classic without the rest. Jack Pumpkin and Raggedy Ann are two characters that were invented in that series.


Yeah but BAUM wrote only a fraction of 'em. The series lost its sparkle when the creator's touch was lost.
Have you read Philip Farmer's Barnstormer of Oz?
Or noted heinlein's visits there?
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login