The DoomYoshi Awards

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The DoomYoshi Awards

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 pm

This is the thread where players can find out more about the Conquer Club's newest award category. Note that these are a totally independent awards, in no way associated with Team CC.

You can also use this thread to nominate candidates, and to check whether or not somebody actually won an award.

Categories:
Year-End Awards

Map of the Year
The foundry does their own version of this which is based on fan reception. The DoomYoshi Award for Map of the Year is a closed award, there is no public voting or nomination. I will decide who deserves the award based on my own arbitrary standards (as opposed to your arbitrary standards).
You can now see the nominations.

New Player of the Year
This award has open nominations, and a poll. Things one should incorporate into the scoring scheme are: skill at various settings, contribution to fora, contributions to the Club.
See the Thread.

Citizen of the Year
Closed Nominations, but this year it includes a poll.
See the Thread

Mafioso of the Year
Open Nominations. Two Categories of Awards and a separate nominations only category. One category is people's choice for best contributor, one is people's choice for best player. See the topic here.
2013 Nominations are already being accepted.
Two Polls for 2012:
Category One
Category Two

Forum-Goer of the Year
NOTE: 2012 Awards are Abandoned, but 2013 will come back with a vengeance!
Nominations are now being accepted for 2013.

Tournament Awards
The CC-Run tournament awards may not run this year. If they do (case A), this will be a small category, with winners of those automatically getting a nomination. If they don't (case B), this will be one of the largest categories (probably 5-10 awards handed out) and will supplant those awards. This is for 2012. For 2013, I will run a steady-going nomination sheet, so that people don't have to try and remember tournaments from January. In case A, it will be a closed award. In case B, it will be open nomination and (hopefully) juried awarding.

Newsletter Article of the Year
Open Nomination, Closed Selection. 2 Categories: Series and Individual.

Suggestion of the Year
Open Nominations, Open Voting. Can be nominated for a) a novel suggestion b) an old suggestion that finally got implemented or c) somebody who later in the suggestion thread, suggests an improvement.
Check out the thread.

Constant Awards
These awards won't be handed out at the Year End Ceremonies. They will just be handed out throughout the year.

Clan Awards
Will be given to a clan that has an upset win (5 or more positions above them on the 400 ranking), a clean sweep (within 10 positions on the rank) or to somebody not in the clan world who organizes clan tournaments.

Lifetime Achievement
Given to anybody, for any reason. Please PM nominations to me.

You may wonder what you will win. All Nominees get to pick from the following Nominee Badges:

All Winners get to pick from the following Winner Badges:

Thanks to makintosh, over at FanPop, for creating these great prizes.
Last edited by DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: The DoomYoshi Awards

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Oh no you didn't!
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:37 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Oh no you didn't!

I can cut out that category if it offends you.
show

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm

TGD, this sounds like a turf war. I think it is time to have a throw-down.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

TGD, this sounds like a turf war. I think it is time to have a throw-down.

--Andy

Unfortunately, I still don't have time to run the Greekies anymore.

So... my only suggest DoomYoshi, is to add more forum-type categories and lose the gaming awards. If you do a search for "greekie" you may find some good stuff.

However... if you choose not to add forum-type categories, I will run another Greekie awards.
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Nominees have been awarded with their badges in 5 categories.

The forum awards have fallen flat, sometime in the next few days, however, I am starting to accept nominations for 2013, so we should have a much more successful year. This year's version is cancelled.

I will be awarding the winners in a Feb 5th Ceremony.
show

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Map Nominees:

Island of Doom: Dim
Knights: Koontz1973
Africa II: thenobodies80
Eurasia: natty dread
Dark Continent: the bison king
Baltic Crusades: thenobodies80

I tend to prefer non-standard gameplay, so I am sorry if your standard-gameplay map was not mentioned here.
Last edited by DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
show

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Cooldeals is not only the first player to be nominated for two awards, but he is starting to look like the first player to win two awards after almost a day of voting.
show

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Er, adding Baltic Crusades to the map nominees.
show

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

2012 Winners!

Map:
Baltic Crusades by thenobodies80, ender516 and thebastard

New Player:
cooldeals

Citizen of the Year:
AndyDufresne

Suggestion of the Year:
Free to Play Speed Games on Classic Map by cooldeals

Mafioso Awards:
Category One (Modding): safariguy5 and / (tie)
Category Two (Playing): Rodion
show

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 pm

No hullabaloo, as I am devastatingly ill. Congrats to the Winners, I will send pms when I am better.
show

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:No hullabaloo, as I am devastatingly ill.

Got the flu shot eh?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:2012 Winners!

Map:
Baltic Crusades by thenobodies80, ender516 and thebastard

New Player:
cooldeals

Citizen of the Year:
AndyDufresne

Suggestion of the Year:
Free to Play Speed Games on Classic Map by cooldeals

Mafioso Awards:
Category One (Modding): safariguy5 and / (tie)
Category Two (Playing): Rodion

Ok. I am going to write at least one pm per day starting now.
show

Postby x-raider on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 pm

=D> :D =D>
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Map Award Given:
DoomYoshi wrote:Congratulations to thenobodies80, as the Winner of 2012 DoomYoshi Award for Cartography, for his Map: Baltic Crusades.

Co-Recipients of the Award are ender516, for his contribution to the XML, and theBastard, for being the idea person. I am not sure to what extent this contribution was made, but I am sure that at least part of the excellence of this map owes its dues to each of the 3 recipients.

I respect the Foundry as the one area of the site where I am least qualified to help. As I could not (or will not) make a map, I am in awe of the creative process, and the community collaboration that goes into making maps. I also recognize that the sheer variety of maps, without compromising quality, are a major highlight of this site for many. In addition, mapmaking can at times seem a thankless job. Two of the nominees this year are no longer contributing to the site, so it is with additional admiration that this award is presented.

On the map in particular: It was not included in the originally press-released list of candidates, as I was going off of Koontz1973's list of maps of 2012. However, I saw no reason for it not to be contained, especially as that map had already impressed itself so deeply in my mind as an instant classic. The premise of the map is simple: take castles and towns for an autodeploy bonus. Since some of the castles straddle two territories they become doubly significant. Not only are they the chief source of income, they are in and of themselves strategically significant positions. This brilliant setup, combined with a bit of luck (the map is exactly the right size it seems, the territories just so placed as to be considered perfect), gave us a map that is guaranteed to keep its popularity in the years to come. It is not without faults, as no map can be said to be, but we are here to celebrate, not denigrate.

The other maps were also qualified contenders. The Dark Continent, although I have admittedly never played on it, strikes me as "the thinking man's map" and I can imagine playing a quick go on it with Winston Churchill and Henry Kissinger. Africa II is one of only 2 good maps (the other being my personal favourite: Christmas) to ever come out of the non-foundry process. With the recent moratorium on this aspect of the site, it will always be remembered as one of the only 2. Eurasia is also veritably a classic, although large maps don't appeal to everyone. Island of Doom seems a rather unpopular map, but it has a certain feeling of fun that can not be adequately described. Knights is a maddengingly simple map, and yet it is also maddeningly complex, a true paragon of strategy.

As a final note on the DoomYoshi Awards, please remember that they are non-official. They are an embodiment of the community thanking you for your contributions to the community.
show

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?