SoC Training Adviser

Re: HA's 200th Tourney--round23 starts now

Postby Kondrad on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm

City Mogul auto no spoils chained fog trench :P
please
Major Kondrad

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 am

Lots going on with no time to update--and work out the issues from the end of last round--that being said--I have time tonight after work--get requests in now--I will look back for the requests as well
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby kiboyg13 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Rail USA/Europe with any specs. I haven't seen one of these for a while :)
Sergeant 1st Class kiboyg13

Postby Tripitaka on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Alexander's Empire (or any "standard" mid-sized or above map) automatic, sequential, chained, escalating, sunny.
The nature of Image was irrepressible!
Major Tripitaka

Postby dapp69er on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am

King of the mountains sunny no cards chained
Major dapp69er

Postby Tviorr on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:41 am

Das Schloss, no spoils, foggy, unlimited.
PM me for an invite to Ikariam, a balanced strategy MMORPG centered on a city-based empire. Help and extra resources from me and an extra tradships and a small science bonus to both of us if you do :-)
Major Tviorr

Postby TheTrueNorth on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am

Eastern Hemisphere, no spoils, fog, chained
tkx
Corporal 1st Class TheTrueNorth

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 am

Read quote below concerning games no joined. I do agree that it could turn into an unfair advantage for people that wait it out. Other tourneys that I have done with this format receive a warning and they have to match up either by getting out of the map they are on or by someone joining them.

For now on this is how I will run it:

24 hour warning will go out to the players that have no fulfilled a win or games played total for the round.

After that I will allow players that have advanced to join and knock out players waiting--but the map will be random with CC default settings.--This means I will do all by pm or by thread--whichever is easier. This will only happen to the players that are in games that did not start because of a join--not for the players that choose to join one game at a time and then run out of time and are not in an existing game. This will happen when I take the games down.

Although I have had too much personal things going on which are way more important than CC--I would like to try and stick to the one week to join games guideline.

I had one player in games that needed to play to advance--I will play that player in one game and the person who wrote this email will play in one game to finish round 23.

I will have the next round start today.

Hi HA,

I am just going to share with you my approach about this message, because I think you can do better decisions in running the tournament.
In my opinion, players who Joined games but cannot match any opponent are actually in unfair advantage over other players. why?

1. They will for sure play their the strongest map, as they choose to join those and do not drop out.
2. They will maybe get weaker opponent in you than they would get if someone legal player joined. It is not about your playing ability, but is about if someone choose to join, probably he is good at the map, and for you it can happen (in some next round, if you continue to be spoiler with the same principle like now) that there will be some hard map that you have never played so then those players will actually gain unfair advantage in comparing with other players, who both has opponent who choose to join a game, so probably skilled at the map.

What I suggest?

I agree with your "last chance message" that you wrote above, but I think you should have an addition to the message, if someone of active players in tournament who has already played his 3 games wants to volunteer for some map, then he can join 4th game, which would act only as game counting for first player. The player who joins still can gain something, and it is eliminating one opponent from the tournament, so he would not play without a purpose for himself. so you give 24 hour notice, like you did, but if someone of active player states in thread or pm within those 24 hours that he is willing to play that map, then give him to play, and you join only if noone states that he would like to play. on that way, those last players in the round will also get strong opposition which is probably good at the map.

This is especially regarding your recent CC inactivity, so probably there are some of new maps that you have never played, and therefore the players would get obvious starting advantage over other players in the tournament if they play vs you.

If you agree with my suggestion, then I would like to volunteer playing in Game 11913839

Anyway, thanks for running this one, it is my favorite on CC ever. ;)

Kind Regards

Re: HA's 200th Tourney--round24 starts now

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am

PM to join round 24 has been sent out--read below:

Before joining round 24 please read.

I will try and set time frames--and try to stick to them with no guarantees.

If your game has not started nearing the time to end the round and take down games you will receive a warning--it is your responsibility to get in a game that starts--if you have games left to play you will also receive this warning. If you are in a game that does not start and it is time for me to take down the round--you will get a random map with default settings invite--someone advancing will get a chance to knock you out.

Remember to join no more than three games total and try and stay away from the same player in the same round. Try not to join the same player from the previous round as well. I am just looking for patterns --not illegal to join the same player, but illegal to cheat by making deals--I will catch you if you try this :).

Enough with the logistics. You know how to play this tourney by now--so have at it and good luck.

The link to join games is below.

Postby The Voice on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Hi HA,

I am just going to share with you my approach about this message, because I think you can do better decisions in running the tournament.
In my opinion, players who Joined games but cannot match any opponent are actually in unfair advantage over other players. why?

1. They will for sure play their the strongest map, as they choose to join those and do not drop out.
2. They will maybe get weaker opponent in you than they would get if someone legal player joined. It is not about your playing ability, but is about if someone choose to join, probably he is good at the map, and for you it can happen (in some next round, if you continue to be spoiler with the same principle like now) that there will be some hard map that you have never played so then those players will actually gain unfair advantage in comparing with other players, who both has opponent who choose to join a game, so probably skilled at the map.

What I suggest?

I agree with your "last chance message" that you wrote above, but I think you should have an addition to the message, if someone of active players in tournament who has already played his 3 games wants to volunteer for some map, then he can join 4th game, which would act only as game counting for first player. The player who joins still can gain something, and it is eliminating one opponent from the tournament, so he would not play without a purpose for himself. so you give 24 hour notice, like you did, but if someone of active player states in thread or pm within those 24 hours that he is willing to play that map, then give him to play, and you join only if noone states that he would like to play. on that way, those last players in the round will also get strong opposition which is probably good at the map.

This is especially regarding your recent CC inactivity, so probably there are some of new maps that you have never played, and therefore the players would get obvious starting advantage over other players in the tournament if they play vs you.

If you agree with my suggestion, then I would like to volunteer playing in Game 11913839

Kind Regards

The "player who wrote this email" sounds like Josko :-$ :D
Major The Voice

Postby josko.ri on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 am

The Voice wrote:
Hi HA,

What I suggest?

Kind Regards

The "player who wrote this email" sounds like Josko :-$ :D

That "Kind Regards" at the end reveals me, no? :-s
Major josko.ri

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I have decided I miss playing in the tourney so I am back in--no questions --do not disagree with this decision=I am back in no matter what you think

Just kidding, but I do wish I was still in it

Postby agentcom on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks HA. Are there exactly 50 players left? Normally you publish a list or an exact number, which lets me do my little stats thing. Good news is that I have a new computer so I'll include a chart with the next update.
Colonel agentcom

Postby reptile on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:I have decided I miss playing in the tourney so I am back in--no questions --do not disagree with this decision=I am back in no matter what you think

Just kidding, but I do wish I was still in it

Haha, not sure that anyone would argue ;)

Its been many people's favorite tourney ever, i will tell you that much. It was a great idea, thanks for sticking with it.

agentcom wrote:Thanks HA. Are there exactly 50 players left? Normally you publish a list or an exact number, which lets me do my little stats thing. Good news is that I have a new computer so I'll include a chart with the next update.

Ya, i love the charts.
Major reptile

Postby ElricTheGreat on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Game 12061810 Round 5
Game 12061746 Round 6

onto the next round
Last edited by ElricTheGreat on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormbringer is thirsty --- Thursting for YOUR Soul!
Captain ElricTheGreat
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am

agentcom wrote:Thanks HA. Are there exactly 50 players left? Normally you publish a list or an exact number, which lets me do my little stats thing. Good news is that I have a new computer so I'll include a chart with the next update.

Yes 50 left---the list is on the second post under the long first post

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am

Lieutenant and higher left in this tourney? Most Majors and above from the look of the active games

Postby SirSebstar on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm

i am also through to the next round
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Dako on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Same here.
Colonel Dako

Postby Visigoth on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 pm