Conquer Club

Tournament play

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Tournament play

Postby VampireM on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey all,
Lets say you are in any round robin based tournament that is multiple player (standard, terminator or assassin) or 3 teams and more in each game (no 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 games). You have a chance to win the entire tournament but you have to play to make sure someone else doesnt win (u can not win in any other way).

To clarify here is a scenario,

The tournament is a standard 8 player Escalating game where u get points for every player u kill. Its the last game in the tournament you are leading the tournament but have no chance of winning the game. However if player B (who is in second place of the tournament) doesnt get any kills, u win the tournament.

Is it alright to go as far as suicide on player B to ensure Player B doesn't win that game thus giving u the win to the tournament? or just handing the game over to another player for the same results?

Do you play feel its against the rules to play the game purposefully not to your best to ensure you win the tournament? Is it bad sportsmanship? or when it comes down to winning the tournament anything goes?
Colonel VampireM

Re: Tournament play

Postby Swifte on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 pm

I happen to recall a discussion much like this from before: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=171372&p=3743390&hilit=tournament#p3743390

I agree with the conclusion they came to in that thread - in tournaments, do what helps you advance. Some people may not get exactly why you're doing what you're doing, but whatever, you're advancing and they're not :)
Colonel Swifte

Postby Lindax on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm

VampireM wrote:Hey all,
Lets say you are in any round robin based tournament that is multiple player (standard, terminator or assassin) or 3 teams and more in each game (no 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 games). You have a chance to win the entire tournament but you have to play to make sure someone else doesnt win (u can not win in any other way).

The tournament is a standard 8 player Escalating game where u get points for every player u kill. Its the last game in the tournament you are leading the tournament but have no chance of winning the game. However if player B (who is in second place of the tournament) doesnt get any kills, u win the tournament.

Is it alright to go as far as suicide on player B to ensure Player B doesn't win that game thus giving u the win to the tournament? or just handing the game over to another player for the same results?

Do you play feel its against the rules to play the game purposefully not to your best to ensure you win the tournament? Is it bad sportsmanship? or when it comes down to winning the tournament anything goes?

Your goal is winning the tournament, not winning the game. Perfectly alright to lose the game and make sure you win the tournament.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby VampireM on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Swifte wrote:I happen to recall a discussion much like this from before: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=171372&p=3743390&hilit=tournament#p3743390

I agree with the conclusion they came to in that thread - in tournaments, do what helps you advance. Some people may not get exactly why you're doing what you're doing, but whatever, you're advancing and they're not :)

Thanks for the link Swifte but i feel mine is a different scenario seeing as i directly dictate the winner by my action more so then just avoid trying to win..

Lindax wrote:

Your goal is winning the tournament, not winning the game. Perfectly alright to lose the game and make sure you win the tournament.

Lx

and if u do this many times in tournaments could u be warned for being intentionally annoying or suiciding?
Colonel VampireM

Postby JBlombier on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I doubt it, it'd just make you a tournament player to notice. In the scenario you describe it seems perfectly fine to throw the game in order to win the tournament.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby benga on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:11 pm

viewtopic.php?t=107706

I have done it here

in the last game I need to prevent slick from taking anymore kills,
so I made sure he doesn't take any :)

months of hard work would go the drain if I failed to do it
Sergeant benga

Postby greenoaks on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 pm

by taking out Player B you are playing the game to the best of your abilities.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Lindax on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 pm

VampireM wrote:
Lindax wrote:

Lx

and if u do this many times in tournaments could u be warned for being intentionally annoying or suiciding?

No, unless the TO clarifies that your not allowed to this. Then it would be against the rules of that tournament. Other than that, it's a totally acceptable practice in tournaments.

The worst that can happen is that other tournament players will avoid joining a tournament with you. ;)

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby VampireM on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 am

Im surprised the response was win at all costs to be honest.

Second question here,

Is it against the rules to have a player watch ur turns that is in the same tourny (even in different games)? cause they can effect the scoring very easily.

Even more so is i have seen in said tourny where a player plays another players turn (babysitting) when they are both in the same game of that tourny! Twice he said "opps i didnt realize i was in this game" and once he just took the turn all in the same round. I believe a C&A report is needed however neither are in range of winning this tourny
Colonel VampireM

Postby Lindax on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:48 am

VampireM wrote:Im surprised the response was win at all costs to be honest.

Second question here,

Is it against the rules to have a player watch ur turns that is in the same tourny (even in different games)? cause they can effect the scoring very easily.

Even more so is i have seen in said tourny where a player plays another players turn (babysitting) when they are both in the same game of that tourny! Twice he said "opps i didnt realize i was in this game" and once he just took the turn all in the same round. I believe a C&A report is needed however neither are in range of winning this tourny

It is not "win at all costs". But you cannot expect a tournament player to take himself/herself out of the tournament if that player knows he/she can win by letting somebody else win a game.

Your second question: I'm not a C&A Mod, but as far as I know that is definitely against the rules:

Players are allowed to account-sit for others as long as they are not opponents within the game. It is common courtesy to announce in game chat that another player will take your turn(s) during your absence. Babysitters should only do what is necessary to take the turn(s) and should not interact with the community, start or join new games (except for ongoing tournaments). Furthermore, you should only take another player's turn if they are in danger of missing a turn, not for the purpose of gaining a tactical advantage.

Lx

PS: Mods, shouldn't this be moved to the Tournaments Subforum: General Info, Q&A, Discussion?
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Chewie1 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 pm

sure is suicide on his sorry arse....tournaments are a marathon not a sprint.
Captain Chewie1

Postby chapcrap on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:10 pm

I agree with everything Lindax has said here.

This is acceptable... And maybe this thread should be moved.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby VampireM on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 pm

my intention was to have a discussion but it seems everyone agrees
Colonel VampireM

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 am

VampireM wrote:my intention was to have a discussion but it seems everyone agrees

Well, there have already been C&A cases filed for instances like this and the C&A mods usually refer back to the Tournament Directors. The bottom line is, you aren't throwing a game or point dumping, you are winning a tournament.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Conquer Club Discussion