[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of their medals

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Cheaters should be stripped of their medals Updated

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:25 am

I'm going to leave this thread alone now. I think that the general support for the idea got drowned out due to my presence. Hopefully leaving the thread thread to develop on its own will evoke rational criticism of the idea without the ad homs and slanging matches that I have too readily engaged in.

I hope this idea gets discussed on its own merits as a legitimate suggestion, and that those who disliked me personally having suggested it will engage more dispassionately and with greater reason.

Sym
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Evil Semp on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Is stripping of medals going to stop people from creating additional accounts? Will it be a deterrent?

My opinion is no it will not be a deterrent. Many multi's are created to get around the 4 game limit.

I personally don't concern myself with medals. I have medals and points but I don't play for them. It doesn't matter to me if stripping medals would be an added punishment.
Sergeant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Medals: 76
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (21) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) General Contribution (11)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm

I think this would be particularly important regarding Conqueror medals, if it were instated. I think that proven cheaters should get a perma-ban with no option to start another account. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm not sure how this stands with the mods at the mo, but it kind of looks like most folks have said what they want to say. My take is, of course, that it seems like a good idea. I'm not sure if anyone else has input to give, but do so if you have.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Evil Semp wrote:Is stripping of medals going to stop people from creating additional accounts? Will it be a deterrent?

My opinion is no it will not be a deterrent. Many multi's are created to get around the 4 game limit.

I personally don't concern myself with medals. I have medals and points but I don't play for them. It doesn't matter to me if stripping medals would be an added punishment.

I don't know if this will stop people from making more accounts but I also think this is beside the point. What's fair is fair and what's right is right. If you are caught cheating it's safe to assume that you didn't earn your medals in the first place.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:If you are caught cheating it's safe to assume that you didn't earn your medals in the first place.

That's probably not true, but I don't have a problem with some kind of punishment here.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:If you are caught cheating it's safe to assume that you didn't earn your medals in the first place.

That's probably not true, but I don't have a problem with some kind of punishment here.

My feelings are that if you end up a cheater you aren't deserving of any medals, you're a disgrace. Someone with this mindset can't earn a medal. If you think that medals are just a symbol of winning x number of games on x setting then sure, I agree with you.
I think a more appropriate punishment would be to have a big label below your username, sort of like mods, that says in big red letters: CHEATER. That way you could just write them off as bullshitters and scum. I think it's odd how people can sort of wear off a bad rep on here, in the real military it's not like that at all. In rl you are forever marked, as it should be.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Evil Semp wrote:Is stripping of medals going to stop people from creating additional accounts? Will it be a deterrent?

Stripping medals is not going to stop everyone from creating additional accounts, we can agree on that.

Would it be a deterrent? Yes. Not for those creating multis to get around the 4 game limit, but for those that create multis to get away from their score history, or to increase the win rates for a main account or accounts, yes, "no honors" (no medals) would be a deterrent.

It would do something else, as well.

Many clans require a minimum set of medals in candidates to their ranks. Clans may not know the case history of every player, but they'd be able to see someone has no medals without a lot of research. The idea someone else had, "cheater" could work, too. Maybe that's the only medal they get, a big ugly whatever "medal" that brands them as a cheater and makes it very easy for respectable clans to avoid accidentally inviting one of "them" into their ranks.
Captain stahrgazer

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (7)

Postby agentcom on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 pm

I think we can safely say that CC will not be handing out "cheater" medals. Let's not start up that discussion.
Major agentcom

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 pm

agentcom wrote:I think we can safely say that CC will not be handing out "cheater" medals. Let's not start up that discussion.

Fine, then let me re-emphasize my response as to whether stripping someone of medals would be a deterrent - yes, not for those doing it to play extra games as a freemie, but for those doing it to make a "main" account look better, it could be.

Additional benefit is to clans:
Many clans require a minimum set of medals in candidates to their ranks. Clans may not know the case history of every player, but they'd be able to see someone has no medals without a lot of research - and thus, know to deny that player entry to their ranks.
Captain stahrgazer

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (7)

Postby Commander62890 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:03 am

What about users who were wrongly convicted of cheating? This would hurt them a lot more than the premium strip.
Major Commander62890

Medals: 122
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (30)

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:06 am

Commander62890 wrote:What about users who were wrongly convicted of cheating? This would hurt them a lot more than the premium strip.

I'd think that if they were wrongly convicted, and were able to substantiate that claim, the admins could re-instate their medals.
Captain stahrgazer

General Contribution (7)

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

My feelings are that if you end up a cheater you aren't deserving of any medals, you're a disgrace. Someone with this mindset can't earn a medal. If you think that medals are just a symbol of winning x number of games on x setting then sure, I agree with you.
I think a more appropriate punishment would be to have a big label below your username, sort of like mods, that says in big red letters: CHEATER. That way you could just write them off as bullshitters and scum. I think it's odd how people can sort of wear off a bad rep on here, in the real military it's not like that at all. In rl you are forever marked, as it should be.

Exactly as it should NOT be. The whole point of punishment is that it settles the debt you have incurred by your transgression, and therefore by definition you are starting back with a zero net balance.

It's just as wrong when this kind of dragging shit out goes on in real life. When someone does his jail time or pays his fine in real life, we say "he's paid his debt to society" but then he suffers all kinds of additional penalties that weren't judicially levied, being barred from employment in various fields and from housing in certain buildings, etc., etc. That's double jeopardy, and it's just plain wrong. If he's been punished that should end the matter forever.

And I've never been in the military, but I've read lots of memoirs written by soldiers, from medieval times to Vietnam, and my impression is the opposite of yours. It seems to me the military is much more sensible about these things. If you commit some kind of infraction like sneezing while on stealth recon or whatever, the sergeant takes you out back after the patrol comes in and either gives you a good beating (in rougher times) or gives you three weeks latrine duty or whatever (in gentler times). Either way, when the punishment is done, the incident is over and nobody will ever mention it again. That's the way it should be. Punishment exactly balances the crime. Plus one and minus one become zero -- nothingness -- once they have met.

If people are unsatisfied with the scale of punishments then they should lobby to increase the severity of the scale, but not try to sneak in extra punishments that aren't part of the original bargain at all.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 126
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Gillipig on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 am

I have a little bit more radical suggestion, I was thinking of castration!? Would work as a deterrent for sure :).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 am

Gillipig wrote:I have a little bit more radical suggestion, I was thinking of castration!? Would work as a deterrent for sure :).

Please stay on topic.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions