Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Alamo

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Alamo map [12/16/12] Pg14

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Looking good, gh!

I like the new font. It's easier to read and seems to go better with the theme of the map than the previous font did.

Do you have any plans for the bridges? Are you going to do something else with them, or leave them as is?

Did you have any ideas on the 1v1 vs. every other type of gameplay idea that nolefan had above?
Major tkr4lf

Postby generalhead on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:14 am

tkr4lf wrote:Looking good, gh!

I like the new font. It's easier to read and seems to go better with the theme of the map than the previous font did.

Do you have any plans for the bridges? Are you going to do something else with them, or leave them as is?

Did you have any ideas on the 1v1 vs. every other type of gameplay idea that nolefan had above?

Thanks bud, The bridges do need some work; I will try a few things for the next draft.
I definitely agree with the 1v1 drop. I believe that all gets work out in the coding of the drop correct.
Do you think that it needs to be represented on the map somewhere? I think with other maps the drops usually aren't installed in the legend.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm

generalhead wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Looking good, gh!

Thanks bud, The bridges do need some work; I will try a few things for the next draft.
I definitely agree with the 1v1 drop. I believe that all gets work out in the coding of the drop correct.
Do you think that it needs to be represented on the map somewhere? I think with other maps the drops usually aren't installed in the legend.

Yeah, you're probably right about that, just a matter of coding the drops, so shouldn't need to be displayed on the map.

So, what else is going on with it?
Major tkr4lf

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Personally something in the way of clarification needs to be done in the legend or on the map colors to make them more pronounce, where is the hopsital? where is the Chapel? Are they one territ or a bonus? Also for the cannons I don't understand where they bombard... ONLY the little targets? to me that seems completely useless to go through a nuetral... even if you didn't have to, just for one territ to bombard? or is it saying it can bombard all the people in its region color? and To me that seems... well odd, you would want to bombard a whole different region that is within range of the cannon,

so like for instance I would make Ortega able to bombard all of King crawford and winchester maybe? Not just one of them. or is it just allow bombarding one because that is how youd stop the bonus? I just feel if it has such a large nuetral, that it should be able to bombard more.

The way it reads now, "Bombards entire region of the same color" makes me think that ortega would bomb, Gonzalez, Barro, Duque, Diaz, and King. and that is all, am I reading that correctly?
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:Personally something in the way of clarification needs to be done in the legend or on the map colors to make them more pronounce, where is the hopsital? where is the Chapel? Are they one territ or a bonus?

They are shown by the color glow around the names. See the colored boxes in the legend next to the names Hospital, etc.? So, Hospital is Cooper, Lee, Murphy. Convent Yard is King, Crawford, Winchester. Chapel is Elder, Patch, Bell.

Apparently they need to be shown in a clearer manner. Perhaps a more pronounced glow? Or something else?

swimmerdude99 wrote:Also for the cannons I don't understand where they bombard... ONLY the little targets? to me that seems completely useless to go through a nuetral... even if you didn't have to, just for one territ to bombard? or is it saying it can bombard all the people in its region color? and To me that seems... well odd, you would want to bombard a whole different region that is within range of the cannon,

so like for instance I would make Ortega able to bombard all of King crawford and winchester maybe? Not just one of them. or is it just allow bombarding one because that is how youd stop the bonus? I just feel if it has such a large nuetral, that it should be able to bombard more.

The way it reads now, "Bombards entire region of the same color" makes me think that ortega would bomb, Gonzalez, Barro, Duque, Diaz, and King. and that is all, am I reading that correctly?

The way it works is that each cannon bombs the entire region (except the commander) in which the same colored target is located. So Ortega would bombard Crawford, King and Winchester. Todd would bombard Diaz, Ortega, Gonzalez and Barro. Vega would bombard Smith, Todd, Black, Hill and Brown. Etc., etc.

Apparently this needs to be clarified better, or simply worded differently in the legend to make it clearer. Do have any ideas on how to do that, swimmer?
Major tkr4lf

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello Tk

I am not going to do a quote because that would be long.

Swimmerdude I appreciate you looking at all of this it is great to get a new set of eyes on the map.

In the legend it says the cannons bombard the entire region of the same color (and then there is a target symbol). I might have to bung that out more.

In the next version of the map I might try a glow around the three bonus region to make them stand out since
they are the only bonus regions.

The cannons target is something I have been thinking about It is odd to have one little target to show that the cannon can bombard the entire region.
It might be too much for the eyes to have a target on every territory that the cannon can bombard.
If any one has any suggestions on how to show where the cannons will bombard with out it being too much on the eyes I am open for advice.

So in the next version I will work on the bridges, add the glows to the bonus regions and think of a way to better show where the cannons attack
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes I do have ideas on how to show the bombarding area better then. Why don't you have the cannon be the color of the BOMBARDED area, signifying WHERE it bombards.

So you make the legend say "Cannon bombards area that matches its color." In this case you would make Ortega cannon glow with the same color as Crawford, King and Winchester territs. So since they are that brown color, you make the cannon Ortega that color. The territory NAMES should stay the color of the region they are in, but the cannon inside the region could change to the color of the area it bombards so there is a correlation. This should remove the need for the crosshairs, and help make it a little easier to understand (in my humble opinion)

As Far as showing the bonuses, I think it is hard to tell just by looking at the map where you can get a bonus. Maybe you could put a faded txt on the floor of the place "behind" the other text reading, hospital or chapel, going across the territories. And/or you could make the places that are a bonus have a border of the color the names of the territs are. So For chapel I believe it is that Gold color territ names? Could you also put that gold border along the surrounding edges? sort of like a "bolded line" next tot the walls along the floor almost like that room is sectioned off with a different floor or a different level. That way you could connect that territs color with that of the color in the legend. (again just suggestions, but I think that detail lining could improve the clarity of the map alot.)
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby generalhead on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:56 am

Great suggestions swimmerdude.
I will play around with these and get another version out this weekend
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 pm

generalhead wrote:Great suggestions swimmerdude.

Awesome, I will try to check back every day or so, would love to continue following this map :)

Also, have you guys considered having bonuses for each area inside the alamo, not just the few rooms? if you have and decided against it, what is your reasoning behind it? Not saying its wrong, just wondering why there isn't any!
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby nicarus on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 pm

the legend says hold six officers for one round to win, this should say generals. great map by the way, i look in from time to time and it has come a long way. looking forward to playing this one. :D
Sergeant 1st Class nicarus

Re: Alamo map [12/23/12] Pg15

Postby generalhead on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Thank you nicarus. I will fix that in the next draft, good eyes bud.
Last edited by generalhead on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:
generalhead wrote:Great suggestions swimmerdude.

Awesome, I will try to check back every day or so, would love to continue following this map :)

Also, have you guys considered having bonuses for each area inside the alamo, not just the few rooms? if you have and decided against it, what is your reasoning behind it? Not saying its wrong, just wondering why there isn't any!

Thank you for doing so, the more eyes on this the better it will be in the end.

We opted to due the general/ officer bonus over the region bonus.
The general officer bonus makes the map a little more realistic than just having a region bonus.
The bonus's would probably be too high to try and incorporate both. because in one small region would then give you a bonus of 6.
We opted to do The hospital, the chapel and the convent yard with a bonus because the Mexican army way out numbered the
Texan army so we wanted more Mexican generals and officers than Texan generals and officers.
That is the reason why we opted for regular bonus's there.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby jonofperu on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Looks like you're doing lots of good work here, generalhead.

I didn't get through the whole thread, so it may have been discussed already, but perhaps there could be a different symbol for the officers vs the generals.
The generals could be a single star and the other officers maybe crossed swords? I guess a little historical research might turn up something appropriate. Or you could just copy the CC scheme.
Major jonofperu

Postby generalhead on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 am

jonofperu wrote:Looks like you're doing lots of good work here, generalhead.

I didn't get through the whole thread, so it may have been discussed already, but perhaps there could be a different symbol for the officers vs the generals.
The generals could be a single star and the other officers maybe crossed swords? I guess a little historical research might turn up something appropriate. Or you could just copy the CC scheme.

Hello jonofperu. Thanks for checking out my map.
This is a good idea. I believe Koontz mentioned it at one time. I will try it in the next draft,
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

I still need to do the lines like Koontz mentioned, I just wanted to get this posted so the changes can be commented on.
Click image to enlarge.

Need to redo the general star
the Labeling for the bonus region needs to be smaller or eliminated
The purple and light green highlights need lowered
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:12 pm

generalhead wrote:I still need to do the lines like Koontz mentioned, I just wanted to get this posted so the changes can be commented on.
Click image to enlarge.

Need to redo the general star
the Labeling for the bonus region needs to be smaller or eliminated
The purple and light green highlights need lowered

Maybe its just me, so input would be recomended of course, but I LOVE the way it looks now. Question on the one cannon, it looks like it can bombard the pink and the green, is that correct?

Also, I now understand the whole general officer thing and that makes sense. In fact, I love the way you have decided to run that bonus :) Similar to Conquer Rome in a way :)
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby generalhead on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 am

The ceza cannon can attack The chapel and the hospital and the Patch cannon can attack Morales and Romero areas
I tried to show this by highlighting them with two different colors
I might trying it with highlighting half one color and half the other color
the other option would be that two other the regions wouldn't get hit by cannons I would probably make it the hospital since it is in the middle
and Morales since it is a smaller region.
tk what do you think?
tk do you like the insignia better too or should I try something different.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:46 pm

I think it's pretty clear the way it is now with the cannons. It's fairly clear that Patch attacks both Romero and Morales. It is kind of hard to tell that Ceza can attack both the hospital and the chapel though, so maybe some work clarifying that would be good. The colors for the hospital and chapel are pretty similar though, so it might be kind of hard to do it. Maybe slightly changing one of the colors would be good.

As for the insignia, I like it. I especially like the general icon, the captain/officer one is ok too.
Major tkr4lf

Postby nicarus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 pm

just a thought, could you import the general star cc uses for its general ranking, it has more defined lines where the one you made seems to have no definition. the diamond for the officers looks good. :)
Sergeant 1st Class nicarus

Postby generalhead on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Redid the general insignia, redid the lines
cleaned up a few specs changed the color of the hospitlal
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 pm

In order to bring in the chapel bonus do you have to hold Patch? if so I doubt that bonus will ever be used, kill 5 nuetrals for a 1+?
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby generalhead on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:43 am

Good catch SwimmerDude.
How about if I move the cannon to Banks and move the border line so Cox goes to the bridge and not Banks?
I will try this for the next draft.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Unstoppable! on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:45 pm

I can't wait to play this map wiiihaaaa
Major Unstoppable!

Postby generalhead on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Unstoppable! wrote:I can't wait to play this map wiiihaaaa

Thank you my friend!
Sergeant generalhead