Conquer Club

Catholic Archbishop attacks gay marriage as undemocratic

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Catholic Archbishop attacks gay marriage as undemocratic

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Archbishop attacks David Cameron's same-sex marriage plans

The head of the Roman Catholic church in England and Wales issued his strongest attack yet on the government's plans to introduce same-sex marriage, lambasting them as "shambolic" and accusing the prime minister of "shallow thinking".

In the most divisive of a host of Christmas Day comments from religious leaders, the archbishop of Westminster, Vincent Nichols, questioned the democratic credentials of the plans, which could see the first gay weddings take place in 2014.

"Frankly, the process is shambolic," he told the BBC in an interview. "There was no announcement in any party manifesto; there's been no green paper; there's been no statement in the Queen's speech. And yet here we are on the verge of primary legislation. From a democratic point of view, it's a shambles."
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Catholic Archbishop attacks gay marriage as undemocratic

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:12 pm

There's no way shambolic is a word
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Army of GOD wrote:There's no way shambolic is a word

Something that is a shambles is shambolic. Learn it, love it.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby crispybits on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating cake because you're on a diet.
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Is the Queen the head of the Church of England?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:18 pm

I kind of liked that an un-elected head of a church says that it's undemocratic for the elected parliament to pass gay marriage because the un-elected Queen, also hereditary un-elected Supreme Governor of the Church of England, didn't mention it in her Christmas speech.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:I kind of liked that an un-elected head of a church says that it's undemocratic for the elected parliament to pass gay marriage because the un-elected Queen, also hereditary un-elected Supreme Governor of the Church of England, didn't mention it in her Christmas speech.

Who's island is it, really?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I kind of liked that an un-elected head of a church says that it's undemocratic for the elected parliament to pass gay marriage because the un-elected Queen, also hereditary un-elected Supreme Governor of the Church of England, didn't mention it in her Christmas speech.

The gays, obviously, and undemocratically.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

wtf? I mean, what is the real deal. Does the government run the shit, or does the Queen run the shit, or do they share it, or is it something else altoghether?

This Archbishop answers to the Queen right?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

wtf? I mean, what is the real deal. Does the government run the shit, or does the Queen run the shit, or do they share it, or is it something else altoghether?

Constitutional monarchy, or, if you like, look it up on wiki before trolling Her Britannic Majesty.

The Archbishop of the Catholic Church answers to the Pope. :roll:
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby crispybits on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Technically the Queen is still sovereign ruler, but all the power is with parliament and she's no more than a figurehead. The queens speech (well, the policy element) gets written for her by the government and she just adds in the personal and family elements (or her speechwriter does)

I think that's much the same in the church of england. Technically she's the top bod, but I don't think she ever exercises that power to actually do anything.

The royal family are in such a precarious political and economic position, and so reliant on public good will to stay on their gravy train, that they really don't have the power to make even the smallest of waves unless theyre supporting an extremely populist view (and supporting an extremely populist view isn't going to make too many waves anwyays)

But as Symmetry just pointed out she has no authority over the catholic religion
Major crispybits

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:56 pm

crispybits wrote:Technically the Queen is still sovereign ruler, but all the power is with parliament and she's no more than a figurehead. The queens speech (well, the policy element) gets written for her by the government and she just adds in the personal and family elements (or her speechwriter does)

I think that's much the same in the church of england. Technically she's the top bod, but I don't think she ever exercises that power to actually do anything.

The royal family are in such a precarious political and economic position, and so reliant on public good will to stay on their gravy train, that they really don't have the power to make even the smallest of waves unless theyre supporting an extremely populist view (and supporting an extremely populist view isn't going to make too many waves anwyays)

But as Symmetry just pointed out she has no authority over the catholic religion

To be fair, I'm pretty sure she could take him in a knife fight.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby crispybits on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm

With the standards of our TV output recently I think you should write to the BBC and see if you can sell them the rights for the coverage of that :lol:
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Constitutional monarchy, or, if you like, look it up on wiki before trolling Her Britannic Majesty.

Excuse me if I would prefer to ask a real person rather than read it on wiki, and I seem to remember asking about the Church of England....not the Catholic Church

wait a sec,,,, did I hit your G spot???
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Excuse me if I would prefer to ask a real person rather than read it on wiki, and I seem to remember asking about the Church of England....not the Catholic Church

wait, did I hit your soft spot???

This Archbishop is Catholic, and hence...

...nah, I got no more sarcasm for you.

Catholic Archbishop, you really don't need to wiki that, right? Plus there's the link in the OP.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Just trying to be talkative, friend
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Just trying to be talkative, friend

Ah the multifarious benefits of getting the unfoed message from you on my wall...
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby spurgistan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 pm

This thread has now had the words "shambolic" and "multifarious."
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby chang50 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 am

spurgistan wrote:This thread has now had the words "shambolic" and "multifarious."

Shambolic is a portmanteau word,combining shambles and symbolic,like smog or brunch among others..an indication of our evolving language.
Captain chang50

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:07 am

chang50 wrote:
spurgistan wrote:This thread has now had the words "shambolic" and "multifarious."

Shambolic is a portmanteau word,combining shambles and symbolic,like smog or brunch among others..an indication of our evolving language.

like moobs? (man boobs hehe)
Major Phatscotty

Postby chang50 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 am

Phatscotty wrote:Is the Queen the head of the Church of England?

But paradoxically she could not be a bishop..how bizarre is that?
Captain chang50

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:33 am

chang50 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Is the Queen the head of the Church of England?

But paradoxically she could not be a bishop..how bizarre is that?

That's probably only a big deal to people who aint on the "shup" level
Major Phatscotty

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am

Do you realize the utter bias the title of this thread exudes?
It reads like the front page of a tabloid ffs.
Last edited by Funkyterrance on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Do you realize the utter bias the title of this thread exudes?

Major Phatscotty

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 am

Phatscotty wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Do you realize the utter bias the title of this thread exudes?

No kidding.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,