Conquer Club

Should We Publish Names And Addresses of Gun Owners?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Should We Publish Names And Addresses of Gun Owners?

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
Night Strike wrote:You would rather hope that an intruder won't physically harm you than have a method of self-protection at your disposal? What happens if he decides to take those things and that he doesn't want to leave a witness?

I would absolutely rather hope than an intruder won't physically harm me. According to a 2009 study by UPenn, people who were in possession of a gun at the time of an assault were nearly five times more likely to be shot than people without a gun.

I reject the results of this study for 3 reasons:

1- the study was limited to 677 people

- sample set is too small
2- the study was limited to residents of Philadelphia

- sample distribution is too small
      - Philadelphia has an atypical crime rate (http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... te-matter/)
      - Philadelphia is an urban area; sample distribution limits can't account for different gun ownership and use trends in rural and suburban areas
      - Philadelphia is a Northeastern city; sample distribution limits can't account for different firearms use cultures in western states
3 - most importantly - the study did not attempt to explain a difference in injury rates between persons lawfully possessing a firearm and those unlawfully possessing one (most likely a person unlawfully possessing a firearm will inherently be at greater risk of violent assault than a person lawfully possessing one or a person possessing no firearm at all; persons who have access to black market sources for firearms, logically, are moving in a different and more dangerous segment of society than the average person)
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 am

There seems to be no correlation between firearms ownership laws - either positive or negative - and high or low homicide rates. Different trends must be considered. Some I would like explained are: economic inequality, presence of (contact) professional sports teams per capita, average July temperature, percent of population on psychoactive medications, population density.

edit: only 1 of the 10 states with low homicide rates have a NFL team / 4 of the 6 states with high homicide rates have a NFL team

Eleven U.S. states have a homicide rate lower than Luxembourg (2.5 per 100,000):

Hawaii - 1.8
    Idaho - 1.5
    Iowa - 1.3
    Maine - 2.0

Minnesota - 1.5
    New Hampshire - 0.9
    North Dakota - 2.0

Oregon - 2.3
    Utah - 1.4
    Vermont - 1.3
    Wyoming - 2.0

Six U.S. states have a homicide rate higher than Lithuania (6.6 per 100,000):

District of Columbia - 24.2
    New Mexico- 10.0
    Louisiana - 12.3
    Illinois - 8.4
    Alabama - 7.1
    Maryland - 7.7

Severity of Gun Laws
Restrictive Gun Laws
Middle-Range Gun Laws
Permissive Gun Laws

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ ... 2s0308.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... By_country
http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard
Last edited by saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby HapSmo19 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
notyou2 wrote:So you are saying that a gun gives you a false sense of security as well as taking the situation with most likely a habitual criminal to another level?

That is my conclusion from this study, yes. That being said, there are obviously exceptions to this general rule. If you are a weapons expert or have advanced combat training, then you are probably able to handle your gun for self-defense with much more ability than the average citizen.

What's the the deal with you?
What business is it of yours and why do you care whether or not a person has advanced combat training while defending themselves in their own home?
Should they be a master teppanyaki chef if they're defending themselves with a knife?
Lieutenant HapSmo19

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 am

saxitoxin wrote:I reject the results of this study for 3 reasons:

1- the study was limited to 677 people

- sample set is too small

What would be an appropriate sample size for such a study? I am not sure, but at most this means there are significant error bars on that ratio of 4.5. I really doubt that the error bars approach the 100% level.

2- the study was limited to residents of Philadelphia

- sample distribution is too small
      - Philadelphia has an atypical crime rate (http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... te-matter/)
      - Philadelphia is an urban area; sample distribution limits can't account for different gun ownership and use trends in rural and suburban areas
      - Philadelphia is a Northeastern city; sample distribution limits can't account for different firearms use cultures in western states

These aren't reasons to reject the study, they're just reasons to not generalize the results to outside of Philadelphia.

3 - most importantly - the study did not attempt to explain a difference in injury rates between persons lawfully possessing a firearm and those unlawfully possessing one (most likely a person unlawfully possessing a firearm will inherently be at greater risk of violent assault than a person lawfully possessing one or a person possessing no firearm at all; persons who have access to black market sources for firearms, logically, are moving in a different and more dangerous segment of society than the average person)

The 4.5 times more likely result was given after already having taken into account general characteristics that made a person at higher risk to be involved in gun violence. It does not seem to have taken into account the difference between legal and illegally owned guns, but I would argue that this is subsumed in the general "high-risk" category they describe in the paper.
Last edited by Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:58 am

HapSmo19 wrote:What's the the deal with you?
What business is it of yours and why do you care whether or not a person has advanced combat training while defending themselves in their own home?

It is my business to the extent that as a member of society, I would like fewer people to die in gun-related violence.

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:03 am

Metsfanmax wrote:These aren't reasons to reject the study, they're just reasons to not be confident in the specific result unless you live in Philadelphia.

1. It's reason to reject the conclusion of the study, which states "the probability of success may be low" without the necessary qualification "in the singularly most crime-ridden city in the United States."

Metsfanmax wrote:The 4.5 times more likely result was given after already having taken into account general characteristics that made a person at higher risk to be involved in gun violence. It does not seem to have taken into account the difference between legal and illegally owned guns, but I would argue that this is subsumed in the general "high-risk" category they describe in the paper.

2. I can't comment on this as I don't have access to the full paper and "taken into account general characteristics that made a person at higher risk to be involved in gun violence" isn't explained - or as far as I can tell, even contained - in the abstract.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby HapSmo19 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
HapSmo19 wrote:What's the the deal with you?

...I would like fewer people to die in gun-related violence.

You may not have heard, but, advanced combat training is kind of about the complete opposite of that.
Lieutenant HapSmo19

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:14 am

saxitoxin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:These aren't reasons to reject the study, they're just reasons to not be confident in the specific result unless you live in Philadelphia.

1. It's reason to reject the conclusion of the study, which states "the probability of success may be low" without the necessary qualification "in the singularly most crime-ridden city in the United States."

That fact doesn't substantially affect the result. The question being asked was not "how likely are you to get shot when possessing a gun," but rather "how much more likely are you to get shot when possessing a gun." Only the former depends on the absolute crime rate.

Metsfanmax wrote:The 4.5 times more likely result was given after already having taken into account general characteristics that made a person at higher risk to be involved in gun violence. It does not seem to have taken into account the difference between legal and illegally owned guns, but I would argue that this is subsumed in the general "high-risk" category they describe in the paper.

2. I can't comment on this as I don't have access to the full paper and "taken into account general characteristics that made a person at higher risk to be involved in gun violence" isn't explained - or as far as I can tell, even contained - in the abstract.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pd ... 008.143099

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

That fact doesn't substantially affect the result. The question being asked was not "how likely are you to get shot when possessing a gun," but rather "how much more likely are you to get shot when possessing a gun." Only the former depends on the absolute crime rate.

As I stated, it doesn't affect the data result, it affects the conclusion. The conclusion being "the probability of success may be low" with the implication of the discussion being this conclusion is valid outside the city limits of Philadelphia. Unless Philadelphia represents the demographic mean of all U.S. urban, suburban and rural areas - which it does not in at least one category (absolute crime rate), and most likely in many others as well - the study is of marginal value. This point is aside, however, from the more important fact that ...

Metsfanmax wrote:

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pd ... 008.143099

This confirms the suspicion I originally stated -

However, compared with control participants, shooting case participants were significantly more often Hispanic, more frequently working in high-risk occupations, less educated, and had a greater frequency of prior arrest. At the time of shooting, case participants were also significantly more often involved with alcohol and drugs, outdoors, and closer to areas where more Blacks, Hispanics, and unemployed individuals resided.

You can't do a study of gang-on-gang violence and then imply the mortality figures for street soldiers in a turf war between the Latin Kings and the Surenos will also be representative for a mercantile exchange broker who has a 9MM in his house safe.

next study
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:34 am

saxitoxin wrote:As I stated, it doesn't affect the data result, it affects the conclusion. The conclusion being "the probability of success may be low" with the implication of the discussion being this conclusion is valid outside the city limits of Philadelphia. Unless Philadelphia represents the demographic mean of all U.S. urban, suburban and rural areas - which it does not in at least one category (absolute crime rate), and most likely in many others as well - the study is of marginal value. This point is aside, however, from the more important fact that ...

I agree with this general conclusion about the limited potential applications of the study (and so do the authors). It's still a strong argument to inform government policy in urban areas.

However, compared with control participants, shooting case participants were significantly more often Hispanic, more frequently working in high-risk occupations, less educated, and had a greater frequency of prior arrest. At the time of shooting, case participants were also significantly more often involved with alcohol and drugs, outdoors, and closer to areas where more Blacks, Hispanics, and unemployed individuals resided.

next study

As I stated, the overrepresentation of these groups was accounted for and weighted appropriately when generating the results. They were fairly vague on the statistical method used to weight these factors, however.

U Penn study wrote:Finally, as this was a case–control study, we had the advantage of being able to statistically adjust for numerous confounders of the relationship between gun possession and gun assault. These confounders included important individual-level factors that did not change with time such as having a high-risk occupation, limited education, or an arrest record. Other confounders that we included were situational factors that could have influenced the relationship under study: substance abuse, being outside, having others present, and being in neighborhood surroundings that were impoverished or busy with illicit drug trafficking. Although these situational confounders were potentially short-lived (e.g., a participant may have metabolized the drugs or alcohol they consumed, moved to another location, or left
the company of others) this was less important given the incidence–density sampling and the fact that case and control participants were essentially matched on time.

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:As I stated, it doesn't affect the data result, it affects the conclusion. The conclusion being "the probability of success may be low" with the implication of the discussion being this conclusion is valid outside the city limits of Philadelphia. Unless Philadelphia represents the demographic mean of all U.S. urban, suburban and rural areas - which it does not in at least one category (absolute crime rate), and most likely in many others as well - the study is of marginal value. This point is aside, however, from the more important fact that ...

I agree with this general conclusion about the limited potential applications of the study (and so do the authors). It's still a strong argument to inform government policy in urban areas.

next study

As I stated, the overrepresentation of these groups was accounted for and weighted appropriately when generating the results. They were fairly vague on the statistical method used to weight these factors, however.

U Penn study wrote:Finally, as this was a case–control study, we had the advantage of being able to statistically adjust for numerous confounders of the relationship between gun possession and gun assault. These confounders included important individual-level factors that did not change with time such as having a high-risk occupation, limited education, or an arrest record. Other confounders that we included were situational factors that could have influenced the relationship under study: substance abuse, being outside, having others present, and being in neighborhood surroundings that were impoverished or busy with illicit drug trafficking. Although these situational confounders were potentially short-lived (e.g., a participant may have metabolized the drugs or alcohol they consumed, moved to another location, or left
the company of others) this was less important given the incidence–density sampling and the fact that case and control participants were essentially matched on time.

They only adjusted confounders to make their 667 subject sample set numerically, not behaviorally, representative of the Philadelphia population as a whole. Of their sample set, 53% had prior arrest records (this fact alone should set off some alarm bells). If they published the raw data for the 47% of their small sample set without arrest records I'd be curious about their results. Right now, however, all the study tells us is that violent criminals are more likely to suffer violent fates.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:00 am

In any case, MfM - you said you do not want to ban firearms. What level of regulation would you want?

For instance, in Canada you need to take an 8-hour safety class to get a rifle or a shotgun, and an extra 4-hour safety class to get a handgun (Canada has a low violent crime rate). In the UK almost all firearms other than bolt-action long guns are prohibited, and even those are heavily regulated (UK has a high violent crime rate). Which of those two regulatory regimes would you find acceptable? Or neither?
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:13 am

saxitoxin wrote:In any case, MfM - you said you do not want to ban firearms. What level of regulation would you want?

For instance, in Canada you need to take an 8-hour safety class to get a rifle or a shotgun, and an extra 4-hour safety class to get a handgun (Canada has a low violent crime rate). In the UK almost all firearms other than bolt-action long guns are prohibited, and even those are heavily regulated (UK has a high violent crime rate). Which of those two regulatory regimes would you find acceptable? Or neither?

I would tentatively say that general training requirements are a good thing, and I would definitely say that mandatory gun locker requirements are a good thing. But I just think it's too complex for me to figure out what the best approach is. What I hope will happen is that we actually dedicate more funding to research on the subject. When the best study we have is that one I posted, you know work needs to be done.

Postby Night Strike on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:36 pm

In retaliation against the New York newspaper — the Journal News — that published the addresses of those pistol permit holders in two of the state’s counties, a blogger has created a map pinpointing the addresses of the newspaper’s employees.

Mimicking the title of the Journal News’ original article, Robert Cox with “Talk of the Sound” headlined his post: Map: Where are the Journal News employees in your neighborhood?
Robert Cox With Talk of the Sound Creates Map of Journal News Employees in Retaliation to Gun Permit Map

He wrote:

The map indicates the addresses of all Journal News Employees in the New York Tri-State area. Each dot represents an individual Journal News employee — a reporter, editor or staffer. The data does not include freelancers — reporters or photographers — which can be hired without being an employee. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location is a responsible reporter or editor, just that they are a reporter or editor.

[...]

To create the map, Talk of the Sound submitted Google searches for the names and addresses of all Journal News employees in the New York Tri-State area. By state law, the information is public record.

Cox went onto explain that putting together the map has been a crowd-sourced effort between other bloggers and readers. He wrote the map will be updated as more information continues to become available.

He also noted that since the publication has downsized in recent years, some of the names of employees might not be current. So far, dozens of names and addresses have been collected and published.

See the full-size map here.

Another blogger has been curating the names and addresses of News Journal employees as well (via Beta Beat). Christopher Fountain, a Greenwich, Conn., real estate agent on his blog For What It’s Worth, generally composes posts about real estate and home improvement, has been voicing his thoughts on the News Journal’s publishing of gun owner addresses and also recently linked Cox’s interactive map of employee addresses.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/blogger-retaliates-against-paper-that-published-gun-owner-addresses-by-creating-interactive-map-of-its-employees/
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:
In retaliation against the New York newspaper — the Journal News — that published the addresses of those pistol permit holders in two of the state’s counties, a blogger has created a map pinpointing the addresses of the newspaper’s employees.

Mimicking the title of the Journal News’ original article, Robert Cox with “Talk of the Sound” headlined his post: Map: Where are the Journal News employees in your neighborhood?
Robert Cox With Talk of the Sound Creates Map of Journal News Employees in Retaliation to Gun Permit Map

He wrote:

The map indicates the addresses of all Journal News Employees in the New York Tri-State area. Each dot represents an individual Journal News employee — a reporter, editor or staffer. The data does not include freelancers — reporters or photographers — which can be hired without being an employee. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location is a responsible reporter or editor, just that they are a reporter or editor.

[...]

To create the map, Talk of the Sound submitted Google searches for the names and addresses of all Journal News employees in the New York Tri-State area. By state law, the information is public record.

Cox went onto explain that putting together the map has been a crowd-sourced effort between other bloggers and readers. He wrote the map will be updated as more information continues to become available.

He also noted that since the publication has downsized in recent years, some of the names of employees might not be current. So far, dozens of names and addresses have been collected and published.

Another blogger has been curating the names and addresses of News Journal employees as well (via Beta Beat). Christopher Fountain, a Greenwich, Conn., real estate agent on his blog For What It’s Worth, generally composes posts about real estate and home improvement, has been voicing his thoughts on the News Journal’s publishing of gun owner addresses and also recently linked Cox’s interactive map of employee addresses.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/blogger-retaliates-against-paper-that-published-gun-owner-addresses-by-creating-interactive-map-of-its-employees/

Wow, a shitty thing to do in the first place, but talk about retaliation. More fear for all involved. Are these bloggers trying to show that publishing this kind of information is legal? Or that if you post this kind of information, there will be threatening repercussions?

Probably a good idea not to read TheBlaze, Glenn Beck is still a recipe for paranoia. I could cry.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 pm

MegaProphet wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
CreepersWiener wrote:

This is great! We can go disarm all of these people now!

Why stop there, just go the next step and force all law abiding gun owning citizens to wear yellow stars on their coats.

see how ya are?

Will the stars say deputy sheriff?

or maybe this...

Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
CreepersWiener wrote:

Why stop there, just go the next step and force all law abiding gun owning citizens to wear yellow stars on their coats.

see how ya are?

or maybe this...

Who woulda thought that one day this would be as much a tale of tragedy and redemption as The Diary of Anne Frank?
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Symmetry wrote:For f*ck's sake Scotty, I don't know what's more disgusting, your increasingly ignorant and shit-fueled attempts to portray the Holocaust as something that could have just been prevented by the 2nd Amendment, or your remarkably nasty trolling of a genocide, with pictures, underlined by your partying sig.

I think this might be the point where I think you went beyond being a nasty troll, to simply being a shitty person.

That's what happened after the guns were taken away from them. When you are disarmed and helpless, all kinds of things start to become acceptable, since there is nothing you can do about it anyways....

you can keep throwing cheap shots, I will just keep calling them cheap
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:36 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
CreepersWiener wrote:

see how ya are?

or maybe this...

Who woulda thought that one day this would be as much a tale of tragedy and redemption as The Diary of Anne Frank?

It's about targeting a certain kind of people, invading their privacy, discrimination, making sure everybody knows what kind of person they are and where they can be found...
Major Phatscotty

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
CreepersWiener wrote:

see how ya are?

or maybe this...

It's about targeting a certain kind of people, invading their privacy, discrimination, making sure everybody knows what kind of person they are and where they can be found...

This suggests that firearms owners are a distinguishable class of people with unique genetic characteristics, like Hebrews.

One can disclaim support for publication of registration data without feeling obligated to sign-on to every single likeminded position, no matter how insane.

The Geisha won the admiration of suitors with what they did not reveal. Sometimes, Scott, you may find you advance your position better by keeping your kimono closed instead of letting it all hang out. People like Mets may be won to your side if they think you're hiding a nicely trimmed, tight vagina. When you start flashing a big, hairy cock around, the only person you'll win over is AoG.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:57 pm

It doesn't have to be based on race. High tech social terrorism can be waged against any "segment" or "class" of society.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:27 am

and here is an interestingly honest liberal discussion on the matter.

You get to see 2 Liberals challenging another Liberal in favor of privacy, and Krystal Ball also makes a point I made earlier about "labeling gun owners" I can't find it on youtube so you gotta go to the link if you are interested

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/msnbcs- ... ho-doesnt/
Major Phatscotty

Postby Ray Rider on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 am

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

He wrote:

[...]

Wow, a shitty thing to do in the first place, but talk about retaliation. More fear for all involved. Are these bloggers trying to show that publishing this kind of information is legal? Or that if you post this kind of information, there will be threatening repercussions?

Probably a good idea not to read TheBlaze, Glenn Beck is still a recipe for paranoia. I could cry.

Meh, it's just tit for tat. The newsapaper did a stupid thing by publishing the location of every handgun owner in the area, and someone decided to do the same thing back to make them see what it feels like. What's the harm in that?
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby spurgistan on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 am

Unless I'm mistaken, one of these things involves publicly available information, and the other one doesn't. That, to me, is the difference. If reporters addresses are also in the public record somehow, then I'm fine with it.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,