Conquer Club

Gun Free Zones

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should Schools Have an Armed Professional on Campus?

Total votes : 0

Re: Repeal Gun Free School Zones!?

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

I'm not sure that's the case. A person who enters a situation like this with the intent to die isn't going to be deterred by a sign, let alone one that says that it's not a place he'll be shot.

How do you know that?

I speculate it's highly likely the evil-doer will pick another location, possibly even just save us all the trouble and turn their weapon on themselves.

I've actually given you an article or two in the past about what constitutes a deterrent to suicide, suicidal thinkers tend to be very driven toward a single method. Especially those who chose something with a degree of spectacle. It's easily applied to a shooting spree where the shooter expects to die, and in many cases either is killed, or commits suicide.

Do you still have the NYTimes article I sent you about suicide? The findings it mentioned surprised me to be fair, as I said when I sent it to you, but the idea that a fixated individual will simply turn to something else doesn't pan out in the majority of cases.

I think I remember that...makes sense to me. It just so happens to make sense to me that the reality you describe is not going to be prevented by having a "gun free zone" or any gun-control regulations.

Whatever we need to do about crazy people, let's do it. Neither the crazies nor is Progressive politicking going to dictate to the other 99.999% of us on how we live our lives, or what rights are going to be taken away from Americans.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Whatever we need to do about crazy people, let's do it. Neither the crazies nor Progressive strategy are not going to dictate to the other 99.999% of us on how we live our lives, or what rights are going to be taken away from us.

Again, as was pointed out, the principal reason you need to exercise those rights is precisely because of "the crazies." So they are exactly dictating how you act.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Whatever we need to do about crazy people, let's do it. Neither the crazies nor Progressive strategy are not going to dictate to the other 99.999% of us on how we live our lives, or what rights are going to be taken away from us.

Again, as was pointed out, the principal reason you need to exercise those rights is precisely because of "the crazies." So they are exactly dictating how you act.

hmm, pretty sure that burglars, car-jackers, rapists, muggers, drug dealers, stalkers, pussy husbands with fat wives that beat them, animal rights activists, and a tyrannical government are also just a little part of that "dictating".
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:But, signs, "gun free zone" really do make places like that targets for maniacal cowards who want to be violent and make the news.

I'm not sure that's the case. A person who enters a situation like this with the intent to die isn't going to be deterred by a sign, let alone one that says that it's not a place he'll be shot.

How do you know that?

I speculate it's highly likely the evil-doer will pick another location, possibly even just save us all the trouble and turn their weapon on themselves.

I've actually given you an article or two in the past about what constitutes a deterrent to suicide, suicidal thinkers tend to be very driven toward a single method. Especially those who chose something with a degree of spectacle. It's easily applied to a shooting spree where the shooter expects to die, and in many cases either is killed, or commits suicide.

Do you still have the NYTimes article I sent you about suicide? The findings it mentioned surprised me to be fair, as I said when I sent it to you, but the idea that a fixated individual will simply turn to something else doesn't pan out in the majority of cases.

I think I remember that...makes sense to me. It just so happens to make sense to me that the reality you describe is not going to be prevented by having a "gun free zone" or any gun-control regulations.

Whatever we need to do about crazy people, let's do it. Neither the crazies nor is Progressive politicking going to dictate to the other 99.999% of us on how we live our lives, or what rights are going to be taken away from Americans.

The thing is, Scotty, and this is solely regarding the suicide thing, death by cop, or security guard just isn't going to stop them. I find the argument that gun-free zones encourage mass shootings to be kind of silly. These people know they're going to die, and they know how. They're not intending to avoid being killed.

I can see your point, and you have been trolling a hell of a lot here, that perhaps armed presence would reduce casualties, but as I showed you in the stuff I sent you, easy accessibility to a means of suicide results in higher suicide rates. If it were widely known, as it increasingly seems to be now, that walking in to a school with a gun and shooting whoever you see will end your life and get you famous, what's to prevent walking into a school and shooting people becoming an easy way out for suicidal people?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:03 pm

yeah but that isn't any different than saying the less water there is around, the less people will drown. Of course the answer is "well duh" but it's even duher to try to ban water.

All I'm saying is encourage teaching people how to swim, not close all the lakes, or only open on Sundays
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Phatscotty wrote:yeah but that isn't any different than saying the less water there is around, the less people will drown. Of course the answer is "well duh" but it's even duher to try to ban water.

All I'm saying is encourage teaching people how to swim, not close all the lakes, or only open on Sundays

Don't be fatuous Scotty.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:yeah but that isn't any different than saying the less water there is around, the less people will drown. Of course the answer is "well duh" but it's even duher to try to ban water.

Don't be fatuous Scotty.

You can still change your vote.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Don't be fatuous Scotty.

You can still change your vote.

I haven't voted, I consider the argument ridiculous. At the very best, I think that the idea of saying that guns aren't allowed in some areas is a good start to change the culture where guns mean killing people, but they don't mean much either way to prevent the kind of shootings this thread was set up to discuss.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:54 am

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah ā€” Jessica Fiveash sees nothing wrong with arming teachers. Sheā€™s one herself, and learned Thursday how to safely use her 9 mm Ruger with a laser sight.

ā€œIf we have the ability to stop something, we should do it,ā€ said the elementary school teacher, who along with nearly 200 other teachers in Utah took six hours of free gun training offered by the stateā€™s leading gun lobby.

It is among the latest efforts to arm or train teachers to confront assailants after a gunman killed his mother and then went on a rampage through Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., killing 20 children and six adults before killing himself.

In Ohio, a firearms group said it was launching a test program in tactical firearms training for 24 teachers. In Arizona, the attorney general is proposing a change to state law that would allow an educator in each school to carry a gun.

The moves to train teachers come after the National Rifle Association proposed placing an armed officer at each of the nationā€™s schools, though some schools already have police officers. Parents and educators have questioned how safe the proposal would keep kids and whether it would be economically feasible.

The group waived its $50 fee for the training. Instruction featured plastic guns and emphasized that people facing deadly threats should announce or show their gun and take cover before trying to shoot. They cautioned teachers about the liability that comes with packing a gun in public.

ā€œItā€™s going to be a hassle. Itā€™s another responsibility. You canā€™t just leave your gun lying around,ā€ Aposhian said. ā€œNot for a minute.ā€

The teachers at the basic gun training applied for a concealed-weapons permit, submitting fingerprints and a mug shot for a criminal background check. The class kicked off as an instructor in the ā€œpsychology of mass violenceā€ offered various tactics to disrupt an assailant.

The first, the instructor said, was to start with the command: ā€œStop right there!ā€

ā€œI wouldnā€™t hesitate to shoot if the danger was immediate,ā€ said Fiveash, adding that her laser sight would make shooting in tight quarters safer.

English teacher Kevin Leatherbarrow said he often felt threatened while working at an inner-city school in Buffalo, N.Y., where he got a license to carry a pistol. He moved less than a year ago to Utah, where he feels safer. But he said gun violence can break out anywhere.

Leatherbarrow said he was highly trained in handling guns ā€“ and was taking criticism from parents who donā€™t appreciate his views on school safety.

ā€œIā€™m in agreement not everybody should be carrying firearms in school. Theyā€™re not trained. But for some parents to think weā€™re cowboys, that frustrates me,ā€ he said. ā€œI wish parents would understand.ā€

In the U.S., the number of homicides at schools of children, ages 5-18, have been lower year-by-year in the 2000s than they were in the mid- to late-1990s, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics report on school crime released in 2012. At 32 deaths, the 2006-2007 school year was the only one that reached the levels from the 1990s. The manner of death was not listed.

Utah is among a few states that let people carry licensed concealed weapons into public schools without exception, the National Conference of State Legislatures says in a 2012 compendium of state gun laws.

Utah educators say they would ban guns if they could, but legislators left them with no choice. State law forbids schools, districts or college campuses from imposing their own gun restrictions.

Educators say they have no way of knowing how many teachers are armed. Gun-rights advocates estimate 1 percent of Utah teachers, or 240, are licensed to carry concealed weapons. Itā€™s not known how many do so at school.

ā€œI never felt threatened in 14 years of teaching, but I donā€™t think you can be too prepared,ā€ said Tiffany Parry, a dance teacher in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy who applied for Thursday for a license to carry a concealed gun. ā€œI think it could come in handy.ā€
Major Phatscotty

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:The thing is, Scotty, and this is solely regarding the suicide thing, death by cop, or security guard just isn't going to stop them. I find the argument that gun-free zones encourage mass shootings to be kind of silly. These people know they're going to die, and they know how. They're not intending to avoid being killed.

You're missing the point as well as some statistics, Symmetry.

Yeah, those crazies want to die; and they want to take as many people with them as they can before they go.

So, they pick UNarmed targets to take down, because they can take more down before they're taken down themselves; and because it makes them feel more powerful for a few minutes because of the terror they cause to the defenseless.

Arming folks in defense does address two areas:
1) they're less likely to take more people down before they go down.
2) they can't generate quite as much terror, so can't feel quite as powerful.

Thus, according to some studies, they're less likely to pick armed targets, more likely to pick defenseless targets. The more probability the target is well-armed, the less likely these cowardly maniacal perverts are to choose that target.

Will it totally stop any violence whatsoever? Nope. About the only thing that could stop humans turning into monsters is being able to detect the monster in the womb and stop it before it happens.

Banning guns doesn't stop humans being violent.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:46 pm

stahrgazer wrote:Will it totally stop any violence whatsoever? Nope. About the only thing that could stop humans turning into monsters is being able to detect the monster in the womb and stop it before it happens.

So if we can't stop humans being violent, why does the US allow everyone to carry lethal weapons so that when they are violent they are also able to do massive damage to a lot of people very quickly?

Banning guns may not stop humans being violent, but if done effectively it sure as hell would stop humans being able to kill dozens of people in a very short space of time.

Why is allowing lethal force the default setting? Shouldn't restricting lethal force be the default setting?
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:59 pm

crispybits wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:Will it totally stop any violence whatsoever? Nope. About the only thing that could stop humans turning into monsters is being able to detect the monster in the womb and stop it before it happens.

So if we can't stop humans being violent, why does the US allow everyone to carry lethal weapons so that when they are violent they are also able to do massive damage to a lot of people very quickly?

Banning guns may not stop humans being violent, but if done effectively it sure as hell would stop humans being able to kill dozens of people in a very short space of time.

Why is allowing lethal force the default setting? Shouldn't restricting lethal force be the default setting?

you live your way, we will live ours.

I can change almost anything. But I can't change human nature

Major Phatscotty

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm not stating facts there scotty, I'm asking questons. That's allowed remember :wink:
Major crispybits

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:46 pm

What happens when one of the teachers who is allowed to carry a weapon shoots one of the students? What is to stop the next person from shooting up a school bus? Are most of the shooters in school mass shootings either students or faculty?

Banning weapons and putting weapons in all schools are extremes that I don't want to see.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Woodruff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:41 pm

So this just wouldn't happen with a schoolteacher carrying a weapon, right Phatscotty. The schoolteachers would certainly be more trained than policemen, and students would never try to grab a gun from a schoolteacher:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12 ... ation?lite

I still find it fascinating that Phatscotty doesn't think our teachers are capable of effectively teaching our nation's children, but that they are thoroughly capable of defending them with firearms. Quite the juxtaposition there.
Last edited by Woodruff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Woodruff wrote:So this just wouldn't happen with a schoolteacher carrying a weapon, right Phatscotty. The schoolteachers would certainly be more trained than policemen, and students would never try to grab a gun from a schoolteacher:

thank you for making my point. The shooting happened in a place full of guns. The only person that died in the shooting was the shooter.

=D>
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Woodruff wrote:So this just wouldn't happen with a schoolteacher carrying a weapon, right Phatscotty. The schoolteachers would certainly be more trained than policemen, and students would never try to grab a gun from a schoolteacher:

Did the police station have a gun free zone sign?
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Woodruff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Phatscotty wrote:

thank you for making my point, dumbass. The shooting happened in a place full of guns. The only person that died in the shooting was the shooter.
=D>

Your point was that students would happily grab the teacher's gun? Well then, I clearly misunderstood.

Or was your point that there should be several teachers in every room who are armed, so that they can react when one of their guns is grabbed? If so, then I clearly misunderstood.

Yeah, you're the dumbass who doesn't even try to understand the consequences of your "point".
Last edited by Woodruff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Evil Semp wrote:

Did the police station have a gun free zone sign?

Haven't you heard? Signs stop killers.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

thank you for making my point, dumbass. The shooting happened in a place full of guns. The only person that died in the shooting was the shooter.
=D>

Your point was that students would happily grab the teacher's gun? Well then, I clearly misunderstood.

Or was your point that there should be several teachers in every room who are armed, so that they can react when one of their guns is grabbed? If so, then I clearly misunderstood.

Yeah, you're the dumbass who doesn't even try to understand the consequences of your "point".

teachers already have guns in some schools. i havent heard any stories about students grabbing teacher's guns, so you are just speculating.

It seems you guys are more worried about the teachers than the psycho mass murderers...that's fucked up.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Phatscotty wrote:It seems you guys are more worried about the teachers than the psycho mass murderers...that's fucked up.

You bet your sweet ass I am. It is because accidents happen. The more weapons you put around kids the bigger chance an accident will happen.

Like this recent story. This person wasn't thorough with safety with his son around but you will expect teachers to be more thorough with safety.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1216076

It will only take one accidental killing of a child by a teacher to make this a bad idea.
Last edited by Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Evil Semp wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:It seems you guys are more worried about the teachers than the psycho mass murderers...that's fucked up.

You bet your sweet ass I am. It is because accidents happen. The more weapons you put around kids the bigger chance an accident will happen.

It will only take one accidental killing of a child by a teacher to make this a bad idea.

like I said, there are already schools where the teachers carry their guns at all times. That means it's a good idea so far?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:

like I said, there are already schools where the teachers carry their guns at all times. That means it's a good idea so far?

Until an accident happens. So to answer your question NO!
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Evil Semp wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:

are we really more worried about an accident than we are these mass shootings that actually happen (unlike the anticipated accident)
Major Phatscotty

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:

are we really more worried about an accident than we are these mass shootings that actually happen (unlike the anticipated accident)

Yes. One reason the "anticipated accident" hasn't happened is because of gun free zones. I hope the accident that I describe never happens but I would like to eliminate that possibility.
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,