Conquer Club

The Great War, new gameplay and advices needed

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: World War I - poll

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 pm

sorry for late response, but I think about new version of map. now I work on new one with some yours and cairnswks tips.

Industrial Helix wrote:As for Britain, divide it into Scotland, England and Ireland, then let the German Fleet attack England.

I am not sure with this. if I add Egypt with Alexandria to the map it will be the next British regions.
Industrial Helix wrote:Then British were pretty conscious of a German invasion before the war and to them it was a real possibility during the war. One possibility would be to have a German and a British Fleet in the North Sea and have them meet at a Battle of Jutland battle site. From the Battlesite is a one way attack to Germany or Britain.

this could works.
Industrial Helix wrote:Going back to the British Med fleet. I think a route to the battle of Gaza would be a good solution to including that sector of the war. Additionally during the war, Allied troops massed at Salonika in Greece, so a route from the fleet into a Battle site of Salonkia in Greece to Bulgaria would be good.

I will do something ;)
Industrial Helix wrote:And I don't know about how appropriate Verdun is as a battle site. The German strategy there was to create a meat grinder to kill as many French soldiers as possible, they could have broken through, but never did because that wasn't the plan. The French didn't stand a chance to break through there and even if they won the Battle, they wouldn't have been able to. I think renaming it Somme is better.

Somme sounds good.
Industrial Helix wrote:I was also thinking that adding an air element to the map would be cool, like battles can bombard capitals, German Fleet bombards London, but air power did little but terrorize people, so it was kind of negligible in terms of determining the war. So leaving it out might be the best choice.

the bombarding was not so important. and I am afraid that there would be too much "things" with airwarfare.
Industrial Helix wrote:Lastly, some of the labels are too obscured where they cross over borders. The best solution is to put a light glow on the words the color of your lightest tan color on the map. Do it for all the labels and you'll have everything looking pretty.

thanks. I am looking forward to your next tips about graphic. I like your maps :)

thank you for input. :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - new name, new version

Postby Oneyed on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

here is new version with new name. I think The Great War sounds better :D

I added here some new ideas, map is enlarged to Egypt. also new element added - Army. the map needs a little work, not everywhere 888s fit, but I think it is possible to make map with standard size.

all comments, ideas, advices, notices are welcome :)

Click image to enlarge.

PS: could any of mods stop and delete poll? thanks.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - new name, another version

Postby Oneyed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm

I see no interest here, so I made another version.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - more versions, updated

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:34 am

and a little different graphics

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 am

Oneyed wrote:I see no interest here, so I made another version.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed

This is by far the best version. Have you spoken to isaiah about sizes yet? If not, send him a PM. Oneyed, you mentioned to me in the last PM that you where not going to work on this which is why I have not moved it. Do you intend to continue with this one, if so, I will bung it into the drafting room for you.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 am

koontz1973 wrote:This is by far the best version.

I also like this, but version with inner glows looks also fine.
koontz1973 wrote:Have you spoken to isaiah about sizes yet? If not, send him a PM.

yes. I told him that I think it is possible to do this map in standard size. if not then I will write him again for supersize.
koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, you mentioned to me in the last PM that you where not going to work on this which is why I have not moved it.

this valids for the very first version. there were some problems with XML and concept at all. now I found version which I like (thanks for tips) and also I found some guys who like it.
koontz1973 wrote:Do you intend to continue with this one, if so, I will bung it into the drafting room for you.

if map is so far that you can move it, it would be nice :)

thanks, koontz.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am

In here for now you are. Oneyed, going to keep you here for a bit. Couple of reasons so do not be alarmed. Firstly, lets see how you do with the current size and if you need to go larger. No point in going on if you cannot continue as it is and having to start over again. Secondly, the main foundry is very full at the moment. A lot of maps are getting lost in the grab for attention. You will probably get more here as we have very few maps. Will move it as soon as I can though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

koontz1973 wrote:In here for now you are. Oneyed, going to keep you here for a bit. Couple of reasons so do not be alarmed.

thanks and no problem.
koontz1973 wrote:Firstly, lets see how you do with the current size and if you need to go larger. No point in going on if you cannot continue as it is and having to start over again.

lets see how 888s look in map. I think have this map in 630x600 size is possible.
koontz1973 wrote:Secondly, the main foundry is very full at the moment. A lot of maps are getting lost in the grab for attention. You will probably get more here as we have very few maps. Will move it as soon as I can though.

no problem. this map needs any discusion and work.

here is map with 888s at the problematic places. I need help with font, I can not do nice font in circle - around battle sites. I do not know if it is GIMP problem or just me :lol:
also some graphic art will be needed to make things more different.
and also I wait for discusion about gameplay and features used in map.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 am

Font in circles, using the curve tool doe not work well sometimes. Best way to do it is to do each letter individually and rotate it slightly differently.

you have a crease going down the middle, lose this as it is distracting and not done very nicely. A better way can be done, but do you know how to bump map?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Font in circles, using the curve tool doe not work well sometimes. Best way to do it is to do each letter individually and rotate it slightly differently.

I also tried this and font is cluttered then. sometimes a lot. I do not know how for example did Kabanelas font in circles on Napoleonic Europe...
koontz1973 wrote:you have a crease going down the middle, lose this as it is distracting and not done very nicely. A better way can be done, but do you know how to bump map?

bump? what it means?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:11 pm

I also tried this and font is cluttered then. sometimes a lot. I do not know how for example did Kabanelas font in circles on Napoleonic Europe...

If it is cluttered, then just move each letter apart some. I think you may of misunderstood me. You need to do each letter separately. Then rotate each letter by a different degree. Then use the move tool to move it into place. If it looks cluttered, move it further away from the previous one. But you need to do each one separately.
bump? what it means?

Go into filters/map/bump map.
What this will allow you to do is to add some height to the map. You need to have a layer to use but anything works for you to test it out on. You will get a new window, with a few sliders to move around. At the top, a drop down box for the layer for the bump. Choose the right one. The the top two sliders with give you varying heights and shadows. Easy to use and an give good results.
If you look at the middle of folds, you will see creases, little bumps in the paper. Hence bump map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

koontz1973 wrote:I think you may of misunderstood me. You need to do each letter separately. Then rotate each letter by a different degree. Then use the move tool to move it into place. If it looks cluttered, move it further away from the previous one. But you need to do each one separately.

I understod you. I did it so, but some letters are impossible to read after rotate them.
koontz1973 wrote:Go into filters/map/bump map.
What this will allow you to do is to add some height to the map. You need to have a layer to use but anything works for you to test it out on. You will get a new window, with a few sliders to move around. At the top, a drop down box for the layer for the bump. Choose the right one. The the top two sliders with give you varying heights and shadows. Easy to use and an give good results.

I see what it doing. thanks.
koontz1973 wrote:If you look at the middle of folds, you will see creases, little bumps in the paper. Hence bump map.

I edited background by another way, because by bump map background lost also small blemishes.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - gameplay and features commnets

Postby Oneyed on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:28 am

guys, while this map was moved and some of you posted here good tips (especialy cairnswk and Industrial Helix) could we speak more about features and gameplay?

I have some questions:
1, the Trench war was mainly at the western front and Alps. so I think to do eastern front more "open" - without Battle sites. change Battle sites here to Towns?
2, I think I will replace Belgrade as Battle site to Town, but hold it as crossing between Hungary and Serbia.
3, when it is possible to attack England (it was never happends) over Jutland Battle site and Great Fleet, could I have also Alexandria attackable over 11th/10th armies and Mediterranean Squadron (this also never happends)?
4, add any negative bonus (-1) for holding RSFSR and maybe Finland? so Russian Empire has +1 for Finland, but RSFSR -1.

PS: koontz it seems that the problem was with font. I found font which after rotate looks fine. thanks for help.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - nobody, nothing about gameplay?

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Glad to see you adopted some of my suggestions. Maybe its me but I'm having a hard time reading a lot of the labels, mostly the battle names because of the curve but also the other names where they cross over a black border. I recommend you fix this asap as more people will be draw to the map if its all clear at first sight.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Oneyed on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:24 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Glad to see you adopted some of my suggestions. Maybe its me but I'm having a hard time reading a lot of the labels, mostly the battle names because of the curve but also the other names where they cross over a black border. I recommend you fix this asap as more people will be draw to the map if its all clear at first sight.

I work on new font around battle sites. then I will try any outer glow...
thanks.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Oneyed
Here is image i do for you...to show the names straight over the top of battle sites...
Font: Myriad Pro - normal - 9pt - no italics
* you will have to move some things around a bit
* the black borders under the names can be rubbed out...because the colours of different regions tell the story underneath, and then continue the black border outside the name area; this make better clarity reading the names in black because the letters do not interfere with the borders.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 am

cairnswk wrote:Oneyed
Here is image i do for you...to show the names straight over the top of battle sites...

thank you. looks fantastic =D> . do you think that 10pt will be too big?
cairnswk wrote:* you will have to move some things around a bit

I know. I will also rewrite evry text by Myriad...
cairnswk wrote:* the black borders under the names can be rubbed out...because the colours of different regions tell the story underneath, and then continue the black border outside the name area; this make better clarity reading the names in black because the letters do not interfere with the borders.

but bold black border is important, because it is impassable. maybe outer glow around font could helps?

Oneyed
Last edited by Oneyed on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 am

Oneyed wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Oneyed

thank you. looks fantastic =D> . do you think that 10pt will be too big?

you can try, but you might have to make bigger radius on circle to hold font.
cairnswk wrote:* you will have to move some things around a bit

I know. I will also rewrite evry text by Myriad...

well, there is no need to do that, i think the rest looks fine, but maybe just keep the battle sites different from other for distinction.

cairnswk wrote:* the black borders under the names can be rubbed out...because the colours of different regions tell the story underneath, and then continue the black border outside the name area; this make better clarity reading the names in black because the letters do not interfere with the borders.

but bold black border is important, because it is impassable. maybe outer glow around font could helps?

Oneyed

Yes yo-u can try outer glow, but the black border will always be problem underneath black text....so maybe you also make border underneath in black but reduce opacity.
Glad to help. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 am

cairns, has Tannenberg 9pt size to? it looks as 10pt.

Oneyed

Edit: how you rotate font? each letter separate or all name by text along path?
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Oneyed wrote:cairns, has Tannenberg 9pt size to? it looks as 10pt.

Oneyed

Edit: how you rotate font? each letter separate or all name by text along path?

Tannenberg...it is bigger circle because more letters, but can be 10pt or 9 pt so long a you get circle path so accommodate all letters adequately on top.

Once the text is on the path i can rotate the whole thing in Illustrator...i think Natty gave some instructions here
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 am

Oneyed, which version are you going with. I can see three in the first post. Secondly, get the title of the thread sorted for me. Name, date, version number and pages of maps. Sort these out and more feedback may be forthcoming. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm

ok. this would be the version with which I can go. I wait for names of Battle sites from cairnswk.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - update, January 4th, page 4

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Oneyed,
firstly like koontz says...you need to do front page title like i have on Rail S America....this is easiest way for mods to determine what it happening with updates.

secondly, you need to prepare some spaces on the map for those curved battle site names to fit into to, like i show you on the version i posted....you need to move things around a little for this to fit otherwise will look a mess.
1. you need to make somehow more space on continent europe....
* lose all that area west of london and Rosch and Paris and spain...it is taking pixel space that is more important to be used elsewhere.
* you could also lose some of finland and northern russian
* then pull the map up to 630x600 and re-position your legend pieces.
* then move armies like 14th, 16th
* move Tekirdag name out to sea with line to territory
* move sarajevo above cirle
* move name serbia to sit on an indicator line pointing to Serbia
* move name Sofia and Bulgaria up and then move up 16th army

do things like this so those battle names will fit in better...make better use of space you have. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 pm

cairnswk wrote:Oneyed,
firstly like koontz says...you need to do front page title like i have on Rail S America....this is easiest way for mods to determine what it happening with updates.

secondly, you need to prepare some spaces on the map for those curved battle site names to fit into to, like i show you on the version i posted....you need to move things around a little for this to fit otherwise will look a mess.
1. you need to make somehow more space on continent europe....
* lose all that area west of london and Rosch and Paris and spain...it is taking pixel space that is more important to be used elsewhere.
* you could also lose some of finland and northern russian
* then pull the map up to 630x600 and re-position your legend pieces.
* then move armies like 14th, 16th
* move Tekirdag name out to sea with line to territory
* move sarajevo above cirle
* move name serbia to sit on an indicator line pointing to Serbia
* move name Sofia and Bulgaria up and then move up 16th army

do things like this so those battle names will fit in better...make better use of space you have. :)

uf... :o

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Oneyed wrote:...
uf... :o
Oneyed

you asked for my help :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext