Conquer Club

CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Media Ctr is a more commonly used abbreviation (or just simply 'Media'). Small matter though.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm

cairnswk wrote:tnb80...were these changes ever uploaded?

Sent now, sorry again. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby mr. CD on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

cairnswk wrote:
jimboy wrote:Apparently the discussion surrounding the change has been forgotten. Basically this was changed from a great map to garbage in my mind.
jimboy wrote:So is there still going to be another change to the size of the nuetral on the bowler or is this it now? I was under the impression that more changes were on the way

I have not forgotten about this jimboy...RL and other priorities simply get in the way sometimes...
and since there are always going to be people who are unhappy about changes made one way or the other, then these are the least of my priorities...sorry!

Of course there are always people complaining. And in those moments you have to think for yourself what's better for the map. Have an original gameplay and be (slightly) unfair when starting in 1v1 and be tactically great in all other teamgames and most standard games or be just another map in the eyes of virtually everybody. I'd know.

Don't get me wrong, you've done great work in the foundry and I'm very thankful, but in my eyes this was a tactical masterpiece and now it's not. And I hate to see your masterpiece gone. Give priorities to the things that deserve it, there are a lot that deserve it better than this. But if you have the time sometime, please look at it again. (And change the bowler back to not neutral)
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby jimboy on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 am

mr. CD wrote:Don't get me wrong, you've done great work in the foundry and I'm very thankful, but in my eyes this was a tactical masterpiece and now it's not. And I hate to see your masterpiece gone. Give priorities to the things that deserve it, there are a lot that deserve it better than this. But if you have the time sometime, please look at it again. (And change the bowler back to not neutral)

I completely agree that this map used to be a tactical masterpiece, and this is the reason I was frustrated when it was changed. I am aware there are allot of priorities in life and this is low on the totem pole. I could be persuaded that the bowler starting nuetral is better out of fairness but changing it to a 3 completely took it out of the game. I would be in favor of the bowler starting active but if that's not possible I think it should be changed to a single so that it becomes part of the game again.

Anyways, I know this is taking a while but hopefully we can get it right in the end.

Cheers
General jimboy

Postby Ickyketseddie on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:00 am

I still agree with CD and Jimboy on this. I never even ply the map in its current state. I'd certainly like to see the bowler changed back to active!
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 am

you see that's the problem....some people are always going to enjoy something different like having the bowler active, whilst others will always want some balance.
how the f*** do i keep everyone happy :? :? :? :? :?:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am

Simply you can't.
We would have only 1 map if it would be possible. ;)
Just take a decision and stick with it!

Postby jimboy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 am

Didn't you say earlier that it was not your intention when building this map to have the bowler a complete non-factor? Since the bowler has been changed to a neutral 3 to start the game it is VERY rarely touched all game long. It's up to you what you do with your map but I'm just letting you know what my observations are. If the bowler was turned into a neutral single to start the game it would no longer be a non-factor as it would likely be used without having to make it active which some people think is unfair. I think that would be a nice happy medium.
General jimboy

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

It is suppose to be a 1 neutral. They just haven't made the update live.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:It is suppose to be a 1 neutral. They just haven't made the update live.

Don't know Nola...something has gone astray...possibly my end...so i'll have to back track to make sure the next xml file i send has everything in it.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Attachments
cricket_smo_V28_161212.xml
(49.12 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:It is suppose to be a 1 neutral. They just haven't made the update live.

Don't know Nola...something has gone astray...possibly my end...so i'll have to back track to make sure the next xml file i send has everything in it.

Seems the upload simply didn't happen... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I have just re-sent the files, so see how long this one takes. :?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

cairnswk wrote:I have just re-sent the files, so see how long this one takes. :?

No reply yet....
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

The map was updated.

Postby mr. CD on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 pm

This makes me very happy! Thanks cairnswk and thenobodies.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby Ickyketseddie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

Thank you!!!!

I've missed this map!! :D
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 pm

That's stange...it didn't go anywhere!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:The map was updated.

thank-you tnb80. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ViperOverLord on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:34 pm

I was happy with the map before the changes. I liked the bowler with a 3 neutral. And the way it is now, if someone has a streaker, they can just hide out for a turn and ravage the field very easily. I also liked territories like Amos being mixed and not neutral 2's.

I can probably get used to the changes. But imo, there was nothing wrong with the settings the way it was before. I did think it was a smart change to make the bowler a neutral 3 (from a change earlier). But the most recent changes are unnecessary and I like it less.

But if you do make Amos a 2 and the bowler a one and you're aiming for a more fluid map; then something like public03 should be a neut 2 (not 3) as well imo. B/C you've created more opportunities and the person going second needs to be able to counter more easily.

I really hope we go back to the way it was. I don't know who started this campaign to change it b/c it was perfect a month ago.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:I was happy with the map before the changes. I liked the bowler with a 3 neutral. And the way it is now, if someone has a streaker, they can just hide out for a turn and ravage the field very easily. I also liked territories like Amos being mixed and not neutral 2's.

I can probably get used to the changes. But imo, there was nothing wrong with the settings the way it was before. I did think it was a smart change to make the bowler a neutral 3 (from a change earlier). But the most recent changes are unnecessary and I like it less.

But if you do make Amos a 2 and the bowler a one and you're aiming for a more fluid map; then something like public03 should be a neut 2 (not 3) as well imo. B/C you've created more opportunities and the person going second needs to be able to counter more easily.

I really hope we go back to the way it was. I don't know who started this campaign to change it b/c it was perfect a month ago.

VOL...there will be no changes after this, unless there is a major error.
please get used to it ;) and develop your strategies accordingly.
the changes were made to apease those who thought the 1st lot of changes were too much for the bowler.
Thanks, however for coming back to comment. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Unfortunately, today, i have to announce the passing of a most beloved commentor of cricket - Tony Greig.
He will be sadly missed in many circles. :cry:
R.I.P.
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm

starting from Game 12096501, which is the first with the bowler starting as n1, 23 1v1 games have been completed now. of these, player 1 has won 14 and player 2 has won 8, so there remains an advantage in going first (skewed by 4 games where someone started with a bonus, though this was a different bonus each time). the bowler was conquered in 21 games (of which 13 were won by the player who initially conquered the bowler) and ignored in 2; in both of the latter, the streaker also started neutral. in every game where the bowler was conquered, someone received the +2 auto-deploy bonus at least once.

the next most popular bonuses were public 7 (held in 20 games), fielders 9 (held in 18 games) and catching a six (held in 15 games). the least popular bonuses were bars (never held), batsmen 12 (held in 1 game), singles (held in 2 games), fours (held in 2 games) and fielders 12 (held in 2 games).

if these numbers are typical, then we can be reasonably satisfied that we've achieved the main aims of the new xml: a map that is fair to both players in 1v1 games and where a good part of the action takes place on the field itself.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 pm

thank-you ian...when i read the first part, i was afeared we were going to have re-adjust again. we'll see how many players are happy however. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm not usually a Cricket player, but I have been put on the map multiple times since the new change and I like it a lot. I think the map works really well right now. Note: my games were not 1v1 games.
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas