Paris - V10 (May 28) (pgs. 1 & 9) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Paris - V9 (Jan. 1) (pgs. 1 & 8) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:29 am

Why did you change?
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 am

Why did I change what?
Can you lead a nation to World Cup glory? Join the FCCFP!!
High score: 2041 - April 22, 2014
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.
Medals: 59
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (5)
Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (4)

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 am

I like the bright colours. The borders between territories look kind-of primitive, though. I think they could use more complexity, something that suggests the chaotic way borders between neighbourhoods actually evolve.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 126
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:Why did I change what?

well i assume you've changed something, problem is i can't see the previous versions, thus at present i can't comment. :roll:
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 pm

cairnswk wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:Why did I change what?

well i assume you've changed something, problem is i can't see the previous versions, thus at present i can't comment. :roll:

Sorry! Didn't realize making a folder on my Photobucket for all my drafts would mess with the links. :oops:
Fixed now.

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (5)
Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (4)

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I like the bright colours. The borders between territories look kind-of primitive, though. I think they could use more complexity, something that suggests the chaotic way borders between neighbourhoods actually evolve.

Glad you like the colors - Paris is (or, at least, can be) a colorful city, and I want the map to reflect that.
What you say about the territory borders makes a lot of sense. I'll play with them a bit and see what happens - I'll probably try for something more in line with the "accepted" borders first and see how that comes out.

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I like the bright colours. The borders between territories look kind-of primitive, though. I think they could use more complexity, something that suggests the chaotic way borders between neighbourhoods actually evolve.

sampai...these are just ideas to muck around with in your head.
I have to agree with Dukasaur...i think you've got a theme going there with the colours and the bottom left image being the same colours...bright but yes they work.
Yes the borders need work...what is happening on border near Gard du Nord...it's blue and not black...deliberate?

if you're going to use the Paris shield, see of you can get a better version and not so big...its very washed out and pixelly because it's been up-sized.

Perhaps a different softer background for the terts...pencil stroke if OK, but its very all the same way if you get what i mean.

See the bottom fringe around the cafe awning. See if you can create something like that to sit all legend stuff in...it would work in with that picture element.

i think this is the best you've produced so far. and it's heading in a better direction now. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 am

cairnswk wrote:I have to agree with Dukasaur...i think you've got a theme going there with the colours and the bottom left image being the same colours...bright but yes they work.

Glad to hear it - that makes my life a little easier.

cairnswk wrote:Yes the borders need work...what is happening on border near Gard du Nord...it's blue and not black...deliberate?

Yes - that's the Canal St. Martin - an impassable.

cairnswk wrote:if you're going to use the Paris shield, see of you can get a better version and not so big...its very washed out and pixelly because it's been up-sized.

OK. I'll see what I can dig up.

cairnswk wrote:Perhaps a different softer background for the terts...pencil stroke if OK, but its very all the same way if you get what i mean.

I'm not sure I do. Can you explain a little more? (I apologize if I seem stupid, but...I guess I kind of am, as far as this sort of thing is concerned).

cairnswk wrote:See the bottom fringe around the cafe awning. See if you can create something like that to sit all legend stuff in...it would work in with that picture element.

You mean for the minimap - as opposed to just having it against the background? OK, I can work with that.

cairnswk wrote:i think this is the best you've produced so far. and it's heading in a better direction now. :)

Thank you! That's what I thought when I looked at it, and I'm very glad you agree.

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 pm

sempaispellcheck...a suggestion present for you to jog your mind to re-arrange the elements...
notice also the treatment i gave the fill on the territories...it just lessens the intensity of the strokes which are still there but not so pronounced :)

Corporal cairnswk

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, cairns! Not sure that's exactly what I want, but a lot of good ideas and a lot for me to play with.
For example, I do think lessening the texture is good, but I don't think I want to lessen it quite that much. :P I'll play around with it and see what I see.
I'm going away for 2 weeks, and I won't be able to work on it while I'm gone, but I'll get cracking on Version 10 once I get back.

Thanks again!
sempai

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby generalhead on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 am

might be cool to have some landmarks
show

Personal preference: I am not too fond of the cafe gif that you have. I would like to see something a little more realistic, but still a cartoon.
show

not exactly this but maybe a little more like this

Here is a good one that shows the location of landmarks
show

This has nothing to do with this map I just thought it was a neat gif
show

show
Sergeant generalhead

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (14) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 am

[Moved]

Moved to ideas as an update has not been made in a month. If the map maker wishes to continue with this, he can by making an update and contacting one of the cartographers.

koontz
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Paris - V10 (May 28) (pgs. 1 & 9) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

OK, now that I'm done with school and such, I've had time to bang out an update. Le voilà:

Click image to enlarge.

Moved stuff around, added a sky with a sun in it, because it looked empty otherwise.
I still need to get those landmarks in, though.

Thoughts?
sempai

Major sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 am

You haven't done anything with those borders. That's what constitutes the "map" as such. I think you can put off work on the background until later.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 126
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Interesting looking map. I assume you are going to fix the borders? I also do not like the "whole floating map" idea.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas