What specific gun control measures would you support?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What proposed gun control measures do you support?

None of These
5%
Prosecute People Who Lie on Felony-Record Background Checks
27%
Add the Names of the Known Mentally Disturbed to Background Check Database, in Addition to Felons
21%
Create a Registry of Who Owns What Firearms
10%
Require a Government-Issued License to Purchase
13%
Reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban
15%
Require Firearms be Stored at a Gun Range or in a Government-Inspected Vault in the Home
7%
Ban all Firearms
2%

Total votes : 142

What specific gun control measures would you support?

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

Prosecute People Who Lie on Felony-Record Background Checks
In 2009, the FBI reported 71,000 cases. The DOJ only prosecuted 77 of them.
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/l ... 86006.html

Add the Names of the Known Mentally Disturbed to Background Check Database, in Addition to Felons
Under DOJ’s proposal, agencies like the Social Security Administration would have to alert the F.B.I. if they were sending checks to a trustee because a beneficiary had been ruled mentally incompetent.
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/l ... 86006.html

Create a Registry of Who Owns What Firearms
"I think under the Heller decision, registration would be constitutional," Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, Wash., told CBSNews.com this week. "It doesn't make it good public policy." At the moment, a minority of states including New York, Maryland, California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts require mandatory registration for handguns.

This isn't a mere abstraction: four years ago, after Hurricane Katrina laid waste to much of New Orleans, local police, the National Guard, and U.S. Marshals began breaking into homes at gunpoint and confiscating lawfully-owned firearms.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504383_162- ... 04383.html

Require a Government-Issued License to Purchase
A Possession and Acquisition Licence is a licence that allows individuals in Canada to possess and acquire firearms as well as ammunition. Licences are typically valid for five (5) years and must be renewed prior to expiry to maintain all classes. Individuals who wish to possess or acquire firearms, and acquire ammunition in Canada, must have a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence. This licence is distributed exclusively by the RCMP and is generally obtained in the following three steps: safety training, application, security screening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession ... on_Licence

Reinstate Federal Assault Weapons Ban
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban ... was a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following: folding stock, pistol grip, bayonet, grenade launcher, flash suppressor. The Act also defined and banned 'large capacity ammunition feeding devices', which generally applied to magazines or other ammunition feeding devices with capacities of greater than a certain number of rounds. The now defunct federal ban set the limit at 10 rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_As ... eapons_Ban

Require Firearms be Stored at a Gun Range or in a Government-Inspected Vault in the Home

Ban all Firearms
Corporal 1st Class saxitoxin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: What specific gun control measures would you support?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am

In order to preserve the unity of the state as well as to receive free blow jobs, we must ban all firearms; otherwise, the dissenting elements will deprive us of our God-given and/or natural rights through which we interact with each other on a more equal basis. Without such a ban, our moral sanctity will be lost, our children will be destroyed in meaningless conflicts, and we shall be deprived of blow jobs.

A vote for blow jobs banning all firearms is a vote for freedom, unity, and long-lasting peace. Any vote for the other options will lead to damnation and blue-balling.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 pm

You forgot, "Use two hands."
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 pm

I voted for mandatory gun lockers and for government licenses. Both of those things are reasonable restrictions on gun ownership (as someone who cannot even pass a minimum training course is not likely to be able to effectively use a firearm in self-defense; and because of the harm of children or other unauthorized people gaining access to your weapons, for the former).
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (6)

Postby KoolBak on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

The bad guys would definitely follow those laws. Every gun owner I know is a hunter as well and all hunters are required to pass an authorized Hunters Safety Program prior to acquiring hunting licenses....just sayin.

Here ya go Dimey:

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm

KoolBak wrote:The bad guys would definitely follow those laws. Every gun owner I know is a hunter as well and all hunters are required to pass an authorized Hunters Safety Program prior to acquiring hunting licenses....just sayin.

The intent of the training and safety courses is not to diminish the number of gun owners but to increase the effectiveness in self-defense of those who do own firearms. Isn't this something we can all get behind?
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (6)

Postby Borderdawg on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I voted for mandatory gun lockers and for government licenses. Both of those things are reasonable restrictions on gun ownership (as someone who cannot even pass a minimum training course is not likely to be able to effectively use a firearm in self-defense; and because of the harm of children or other unauthorized people gaining access to your weapons, for the former).

Tell me Mets, what kind of training are we talking about? Is the training a one time thing, or timed renewal? Will a fee(tax) be charged? Any circumstances you could see for exemptions? And the mandatory locker thing, could you expand on that? What kind of government approved home gun vault do you envision?
xi member
Private 1st Class Borderdawg

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Borderdawg wrote: And the mandatory locker thing, could you expand on that? What kind of government approved home gun vault do you envision?

I don't really know if I'm for having a bunch of people that would be needed to do inspections but I'd like to see weapons stored properly in something with a good solid structure when they are idle. In the closet isn't really my idea of a good idea though I'm being a hypocrite as I know a few people doing something like that and I'm not phoning them to ask they get a vault of somekind.

Most of the gun safes I see in a place like Bass Pro shops seem good. I realise it's only a deterrent but...
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby CBlake on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Numbers 1, 3, 4, and 5
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
Captain CBlake

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
KoolBak wrote:The bad guys would definitely follow those laws. Every gun owner I know is a hunter as well and all hunters are required to pass an authorized Hunters Safety Program prior to acquiring hunting licenses....just sayin.

The intent of the training and safety courses is not to diminish the number of gun owners but to increase the effectiveness in self-defense of those who do own firearms. Isn't this something we can all get behind?

If someone really requires such training, then let them and/or their friends convince them to voluntarily take such classes.

Compulsory self-defense classes that are monopolized by the government are unnecessary.
And mandatory gun lockers would reduce the effectiveness of self-defense at the home.
Together, your two policies are counter-productive, thus wasteful.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby KoolBak on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I lock up the majority of my guns (in a bigass 3,000 pound safe) because they're valuable....not to hide them from a potential thief.

The loaded, accessible weapons hidden throughout my house are to deter (permanently) the potential thief; the signs outside that say "Criminals Will Be Shot; Survivors Will Be Shot Again" and "Protected By a Doberman" have been effective for over 25 years..... :)
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm

This is from an Australian university so the research may have consisted of a couple roo hunters checking-out their buddies trailer outside Alice Springs while on a beer run, but, for what it's worth ...

Safe Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime
It is frequently assumed that safe storage gun laws reduce accidental gun deaths and total suicides, while the possible impact on crime rates are ignored. However, given existing work on the adverse impact of other safety laws, such as safety caps for storing medicine, even the very plausible assumption of reduced accidental gun deaths cannot be taken for granted. Our paper analyzes both state and county data spanning nearly twenty years, and we find no support that safe storage laws reduce either juvenile accidental gun deaths or suicides. Instead, these storage requirements appear to impair people's ability to use guns defensively. Because accidental shooters also tend to be the ones most likely to violate the new law, safe storage laws increase violent and property crimes against low risk citizens with no observable offsetting benefit in terms of reduced accidents or suicides. During the first five full years after the passage of the safe storage laws, the group of fifteen states that adopted these laws faced an annual average increase of over 300 more murders, 3,860 more rapes, 24,650 more robberies, and over 25,000 more aggravated assaults. On average, the annual costs borne by victims averaged over $2.6 billion as a result of lost productivity, out-of-pocket expenses, medical bills, and property losses.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... _id=228534
Corporal 1st Class saxitoxin

Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

If someone really requires such training, then let them and/or their friends convince them to voluntarily take such classes.

Compulsory self-defense classes that are monopolized by the government are unnecessary.
And mandatory gun lockers would reduce the effectiveness of self-defense at the home.

I wonder if we can make an analogy to something else - another tool that causes many deaths for which you have to take a test before operating. Let's try to brainstorm.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Timminz on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:21 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I wonder if we can make an analogy to something else - another tool that causes many deaths for which you have to take a test before operating. Let's try to brainstorm.

I think I might have a clue as to what you're talking about. If I'm correct, then one of them is a tool designed to kill, while the other is not but does sometimes.

It's pretty interesting (dumbfounding, really) that the tool with non-lethal intentions requires a license, while the one intended to kill does not.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
Captain Timminz

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

1 and 2 seem almost obvious so I voted for them.
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
Cook Army of GOD

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?