Conquer Club

[Beta] - Ethiopia [26.8.13] V16 XML Stamped

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Ethiopia: [27.12.12] V06-P3 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm

x-raider wrote:
cairnswk wrote:How many extra bonuses were you thinking of it the extras were kept?

I'm talking about the ones you got there already.

Suggestions?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm

The drop should be:

2P: 8 + 13N
3P: 8 + 5N
4P: 6 + 5N
5P: 4 = 9N
6P: 4 + 5N
7P: 3 + 8N
8P: 3 + 5N
Private cairnswk

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Right, I wouldn't bother with the cattle or the faith bonuses. The coffee you could have, I suppose. Maybe adapted slightly.

And I see that you have already worked out the number of starting regions, but I think it would be cool if the neighbouring countries started neutral.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Right, I wouldn't bother with the cattle or the faith bonuses. The coffee you could have, I suppose. Maybe adapted slightly.

Well all three are very typically Ethiopian....how would adapt the coffee bonus...idea?

And I see that you have already worked out the number of starting regions, but I think it would be cool if the neighbouring countries started neutral.

Cool...why...what are your reasons here please? :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:13 pm

cairnswk wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:Right, I wouldn't bother with the cattle or the faith bonuses. The coffee you could have, I suppose. Maybe adapted slightly.

Well all three are very typically Ethiopian....how would adapt the coffee bonus...idea?

You could spread them over the map. But see if anybody else can offer any ideas here.

cairnswk wrote:

For one thing, they're not actually Ethiopia. And they offer quick links to bonuses on the other side of the map...really powerful borders.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:36 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

You could spread them over the map. But see if anybody else can offer any ideas here.

cairnswk wrote:

For one thing, they're not actually Ethiopia. And they offer quick links to bonuses on the other side of the map...really powerful borders.

Coffee...well it is only grown in the regions shown, so it would be silly i think to have them eslewhere.
The other countries...OK....good point...and good stratgey, however, will it affect GP drop too much?
It would add another 7 neutrals.

I would offer 4 of those external countries to be neutral, to make the starting neutrals 9 in total.

That would make the drop:
2P: 6 + 17N
3P: 6 + 11N
4P: 5 + 9N
5P: 4 + 9N
6P: 3 + 11N
7P: 2 + 15N
8P: 2 + 13N
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 pm

For the drop above, i don't see the 7 player game as being too much of a problem.
7 player games account for .01% of all games played on the site.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 am

I just got back from a long vacation and still trying to get my bearings back, so bear with me :D, but I don't like the new bonuses at all. They clutter the space up and are going to require a lot more neutrals to be placed around the map.

Good to see this one back into production though :)
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I just got back from a long vacation and still trying to get my bearings back, so bear with me :D, but I don't like the new bonuses at all. They clutter the space up and are going to require a lot more neutrals to be placed around the map.

OK, are any of them useful? or should they be excised completely and leave the map as simple as possible.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:I just got back from a long vacation and still trying to get my bearings back, so bear with me :D, but I don't like the new bonuses at all. They clutter the space up and are going to require a lot more neutrals to be placed around the map.

OK, are any of them useful? or should they be excised completely and leave the map as simple as possible.

That is probably what I would do.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: Ethiopia: [9.1.13] V05-P3 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am

x-raider wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
x-raider wrote:Aw, why'd you have to go ruin it like that.
Either make it a small-size map or give it a bunch of extra bonuses.
You needn't do both.

Well, x-raider, i haven't exactly ruined it...yet!
It is reversible if people don't like it.
So thanks for you feedback on that.

Sure.
But I can't ask people to support my opinion if I don't voice it now, can I? :P

nolefan5311 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

That is probably what I would do.

OK, feedback is slow at present, and it seems people were happy withou the complications i threw into the map....
so i'll get rid fo them....going back to previous version 5 then we can move forward again with other stuff.

Private cairnswk

Postby x-raider on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 am

You still need to include the impassable legend.
I suggest putting it above the bonus legend.

As can be seen in N.W.Oromia, the mountains could do with a touch up so they blend with the map and the colours better.
And the rivers are largely inconsistent...

Good luck ;)
Sorry your previous changes didn't go down well.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm

x-raider wrote:You still need to include the impassable legend.
I suggest putting it above the bonus legend.

As can be seen in N.W.Oromia, the mountains could do with a touch up so they blend with the map and the colours better.
And the rivers are largely inconsistent...

Good luck ;)
Sorry your previous changes didn't go down well.

Issues, will fix.
Dont be sorry about the changes...some things aren't meant to be. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Ethiopia: [10.1.13] V07-P5 Gameplay & Gfx

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Version 7.

1. Mountains fixed.
2. Impassables added
3. Rivers fixed
4. neighbouring country names font changed
5. title adjusted
6. buildings adjusted
7. opacity of region colours reduced slightly

Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 pm

cairns, I will go ahead and sticky this one for the stamp, but I suggest removing the neutral starts from all the capitals since they don't have any significance (that I can see) other than increasing some of the 3 region bonuses to 4. 27 starting regions is also a golden number and in 1v1 games increases the amount of starting regions per player from 8 to 9 which I prefer on a map this small. Also, in the continents the capitals are in, you don't need to worry about bonus dropping since all those continents are 4 regions. As long as N. Afar and W. Snnpr start neutrals, there's no need for any other to.

If anybody else has any suggestions, now is the time to speak up. Otherwise, this map will receive the gameplay stamp in 48-72 hours.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:cairns, I will go ahead and sticky this one for the stamp, but I suggest removing the neutral starts from all the capitals since they don't have any significance (that I can see) other than increasing some of the 3 region bonuses to 4. 27 starting regions is also a golden number and in 1v1 games increases the amount of starting regions per player from 8 to 9 which I prefer on a map this small. Also, in the continents the capitals are in, you don't need to worry about bonus dropping since all those continents are 4 regions. As long as N. Afar and W. Snnpr start neutrals, there's no need for any other to.

OK, but is there any need to increase the amount of each neutral in those territories i.e. once SNNPR is taken it's an easy +2 to add to any player's army.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:12 pm

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:cairns, I will go ahead and sticky this one for the stamp, but I suggest removing the neutral starts from all the capitals since they don't have any significance (that I can see) other than increasing some of the 3 region bonuses to 4. 27 starting regions is also a golden number and in 1v1 games increases the amount of starting regions per player from 8 to 9 which I prefer on a map this small. Also, in the continents the capitals are in, you don't need to worry about bonus dropping since all those continents are 4 regions. As long as N. Afar and W. Snnpr start neutrals, there's no need for any other to.

OK, but is there any need to increase the amount of each neutral in those territories i.e. once SNNPR is taken it's an easy +2 to add to any player's army.

You could increase it to a n4 if you'd like. ian and I discussed this and came to the conclusion that if there are not starting neutrals in the larger continents, players my focus on grabbing one of those and not dedicate troops to the smaller bonus. But making it a n4 won't hurt anything.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

You could increase it to a n4 if you'd like. ian and I discussed this and came to the conclusion that if there are not starting neutrals in the larger continents, players my focus on grabbing one of those and not dedicate troops to the smaller bonus. But making it a n4 won't hurt anything.

OKies. done, update shortly

PS...give me a couple of days...the V07S.png master file is kaput, so i'll have to re-work everthing from a previous version. Bummer. :o :( :(
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 pm

If anybody else has any suggestions, now is the time to speak up. Otherwise, this map will receive the gameplay stamp in 48-72 hours.

nolefan5311...the file is recovered and re-worked...posted as V7 with the ajdustment to neutrals.
please refresh v7.
Private cairnswk

Re: Ethiopia: [15.1.13] V07-P5 Gameplay & Gfx

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Onwards and upwards cairns. Congrats.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: Ethiopia: [15.1.13] V07-P5 Gameplay & Gfx

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 am

nolefan5311 wrote:Image

Onwards and upwards cairns. Congrats.

Thanx nolefan5311 :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Ethiopia: [15.1.13] V07-P5 Gfx Discussion

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 pm

First impressions: The map colors are kinda bright for me, especially for a desert country. Some more earthy tones would be quite good for me, personally, but the rest of the community will likely have a say as well.
Question, where is the border between Sudan and South Sudan? Also I assume Kenya and South Sudan are adjacent, yes? There is a border line from the box from H Harari to W. Snnpr that oddly separates nothing and calls into question what connects to what exactly.
There is an odd blank patch near the mountains in S.B-G
The word "bonuses" in the legend minimap seems kinda redundant to me, do correct me if I'm wrong here community!
Also a question to that, are the cities within regions a part of their respective bonus? if necessary a pit of explination to that may be required.
Oh, and do the bonuses have names themselves?
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: Ethiopia: [15.1.13] V07-P5 Gfx Discussion

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:First impressions: The map colors are kinda bright for me, especially for a desert country. Some more earthy tones would be quite good for me, personally, but the rest of the community will likely have a say as well.

well some colours are taken from the flag, mixed with some earthier tones...or so i thought...so i have reduced opacity on them for you to hopefully an aceptable level.
Also, your statement about it being a desert country only really applies in the Samaliland regions and perhaps a bit in the north...a lot of the country is quite green in the hills where the coffee is grown...a check on google images will show u differently than u think

Question, where is the border between Sudan and South Sudan?

now inserted :P

Also I assume Kenya and South Sudan are adjacent, yes? There is a border line from the box from H Harari to W. Snnpr that oddly separates nothing and calls into question what connects to what exactly.

yes that is same border...bridge across river near lake connects that piece of land and border is horizontal line running east from Harari.

There is an odd blank patch near the mountains in S.B-G

NO, not exactly odd. it's where the border of S.B-G runs under those mountains, and the green is a inner shadow around those borders, so i am not too worried about it as the mountains create the impassable... :)

The word "bonuses" in the legend minimap seems kinda redundant to me, do correct me if I'm wrong here community!

well yes, for you and me perhaps, but looks nice on map anyway :)

Also a question to that, are the cities within regions a part of their respective bonus? if necessary a pit of explination to that may be required.

will attend to that.

Oh, and do the bonuses have names themselves?

mmm...not presently, but need to do something there, so will fix that.

Thanks for your input RB0 :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Ethiopia: [21.1.13] V08-P5 Gfx Discussion

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 am

Version 8.
as changes from above. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Ethiopia: [21.1.13] V08-P5 Gfx Discussion

Postby x-raider on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 am

I still don't think the sea needs 2 colours, just the cyan on the inside should do fine for all of it.
The building image for Dire Dawa is a bit blurry and the text explaining the abbreviations at the bottom should be lined vertically centered and evenly distributed.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas