Conquer Club

You know what really grinds my gears...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: You know what really grinds my gears...

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 am

Richard Gere's Gerbils grind my gears.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Lootifer on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

- Unfunny posts in rant threads
- My job right now
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Lootifer wrote:- Unfunny posts in rant threads

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, Lootifer. :P
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Lootifer wrote:- Unfunny posts in rant threads

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, Lootifer. :P

Hypocrisy
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lootifer on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 pm

- Captain obvious
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 pm

I grind the gears at work!

:lol:

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 am

Dukasaur wrote:I grind the gears at work!

:lol:

That's a nice rig.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 am

get the f*ck out of my thread you two
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby fadedpsychosis on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 am

people who start threads in public forums then whine when people post in them grinds my gears...
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 am

Funkyterrance wrote:That's a nice rig.

(It's a stock photo from a dealership, although the one I've been running recently is very similar.)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Army of GOD wrote:get the f*ck out of my thread you two

I'd really like to know what you are going to do about it, tough guy. :lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby x-raider on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:57 pm

this stupid copypasta on facebook
"A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"

I'm sorry but we all can't play fucking violin for a living.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Army of GOD wrote:this stupid copypasta on facebook
"A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"

I'm sorry but we all can't play fucking violin for a living.

What? You don't have time or something?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Also, why does a 3.5 million dollar violin exist? Did they make it out of the penises of Bigfoot and his family or something?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby john9blue on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:12 pm

if you read the original WP article, you'd find out...
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 am

john9blue wrote:if you read the original WP article, you'd find out...

Oh. So it was made out of a Polish guy's penis.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 am

It was probably made from a particular pollution free first growth tree that was hundreds of years old and basically can't be replicated.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 am

from the article is says that the violin belonged to a famous Polish musician who had it stolen twice. I mean, I guess if you jerk off over violins that is worth 3.5 million. I, personally, would've bought saxitoxin's first born.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 am

iirc there's been a few double-blind studies where even the most talented musicians can't tell the difference between one of those "priceless" violins and a high-quality modern one. It's art snobbery at its finest.

Although I don't know, my violin is a cheapie and it sounds like crap.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 am

Fast posted.

I sort of get you here. I don't have any violins, never mind an expensive one. Doubt I could tell which was which if someone played them both.

Reminds me of watching loony toons with my kids and their cousins that don't watch much television, one of them says, "Bugs Bunny isn't very good on the piano. This sounds terrible."

I suspect at the time the person who played the piece was a pretty good player. Maybe one of the best available.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:37 am

People who request Back in Black on the radio.

Or any AC/DC song, for that matter. Not that I have a problem with them, but can't you just wait, like, 5 fucking songs and hear any other AC/DC tune?

I was listening to Alice Cooper a couple of weeks ago and some twat requested Back in Black. So, not only do you choose to request a song that gets played probably numerous times daily on each rock station, but you choose to waste this request on a DJ who'll actually play something that's not commonly played on the radio? Douche chill.

-TG
Last edited by TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:08 pm

People who complain about the Almighty AC/DC. :p

But seriously, reality TV. Screw it. They make idiots into TV celebs, and even if I never watch the show, I STILL have to hear about them. Paris Hilton and Honey Boo-Boo come to mind. Hell, I had to freakin' google Honey Boo-Boo just to know what people were talking about. Ended up watching the South Park episode on the matter, which, as usual, was awesome.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Lootifer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:02 pm

People who drink Powerade Zero.

Seriously I hate stupidity when it manifests itself in consumption of a pointless product.

[rant about how pointless powerade zero is]
Right!

The thing with powerade zero is it contains electrolytes, but no calories. On the surface that seems fine. Many products are like this. HOWEVER unlike coke zero or pepsi max or other zero calorie drinks powerade zero is marketed as a sports supplement; you dont see ads for coke zero on the wall of a gym.

Now marketing it as a sports supplement is fine; free market and all that. But my problem is people consuming it as a sport supplment. These people are flat out fucking retarded. They should have their voting rights disabled as they have quite clearly shown the inability to critically think. Let me explain why.

Electrolyte sports supplments are very useful things. In fact many coaches and sports nutritionists will actively tell their athletes to consume them. The reason is they work: during hard exercise your body depletes many things, two of which are energy and electrolytes (basically salts). Within 20 minutes of exercise your body is going to want these things, in fact our bodies have been created or evolved to have the ability to absorb these things at a much quicker rate than we normally would stright after exercise - by doing so we are also assisting the training process (i.e. building muscle/improving CV system etc).

Now there are two types of exercisers: those who work hard, and those who turn up to the gym and do f*ck all*. Only those who work hard actually need to drink powerade or any other sports drink; those who do f*ck all dont because they dont deplete their electrolyte or energy levels in any meaningful way. Powerade Zero is useless to both these types (but is aimed at both). The first group would be shooting themselves in the foot by drinking powerade zero because they need the glycogen injection into their muscles - regardless of motivation (weight loss/fitness/whatever) you dont really want to neglect this as it will hurt your progress - in fact the energy top up is more important than the electrolyte top up. The second group should just be drinking water; they do not need the electrolytes; in fact if they want something other than water drink coke zero or some other low-cal fizzy drink: it usually tastes better (I dont drink either, but generally speaking).

TL;DR: There is no one who needs to drink powerade zero for sporting purposes. Thus anyone who does is a fucking toolface moron.
[/rant about how pointless powerade zero is]

* I am being unfairly harsh on casual or low-pain exercisers: dont get me wrong, I like what you are doing and encourage you to keep doing it; but just think: If you could get another wear out of your gym gear at a push (you wouldnt of course, but its not dripping in sweat) then you dont need to drink powerade.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby john9blue on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 am

i drink PZ cuz it tastes good
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,