1.Tournament Achievement
2.General Achievement
3.Clan Achievement
4.Training Achievement
-Contributions
1.Map Contribution
2.Tournament Contribution
3.General Contribution

Change in all these in Arabic up to 999, will solve problems with roman numerals on very long period, and people will get proper counting in hes medals

note: im not a tech,or web master,or site developer,and i don't know nothing about that, and will be good that some who know all these give answer,if these possible to create.
If these possible then i will put poll and community can decide if they like or not.
Last edited by Qwert on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Change Roman Numbers on medal to Arabic Numbers

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:41 am

I like this idea.

This is basically switching to Arabic numbers and not having a cap on medals.

Remember they are virtual medals--no money involved to get them.

The reality is the public needs to make the decision on how they want the medals to be counted.

Come up with the five best ideas and have the public vote
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 am

HighlanderAttack wrote:I like this idea.

I like the idea of using the form.

As was stated in another thread, Arabic vs Roman Numerals do not matter. I actually don't care which are used. The issue is whether or not medals should go up to 999 for each group. So, this suggestion is really just the same as raising the caps on the medals.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 pm

The problem (on the technical side) lies with how the medals are generated. Currently, they're two parts that are put together when the page loads (one part that has the big background of the medal, and the other that has the number. It's difficult to generate number images that match up with the medal size, so the existing approach is used instead (pre-generated images). It's possible to chnage it over, but it would require a lot of coding time, that I personally think could be spent somewhere more beneficial to a larger portion of the community.

Also, Roman Numerals vs Arabic numbers don't change the problem, as you can calculate the roman numeral form of any arabic number.
Private blakebowling

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

blakebowling wrote:The problem (on the technical side) lies with how the medals are generated. Currently, they're two parts that are put together when the page loads (one part that has the big background of the medal, and the other that has the number. It's difficult to generate number images that match up with the medal size, so the existing approach is used instead (pre-generated images). It's possible to chnage it over, but it would require a lot of coding time, that I personally think could be spent somewhere more beneficial to a larger portion of the community.

Also, Roman Numerals vs Arabic numbers don't change the problem, as you can calculate the roman numeral form of any arabic number.

So if there was no cap, your saying it is hard to generate 175 onto the medal for example.

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:
blakebowling wrote:The problem (on the technical side) lies with how the medals are generated. Currently, they're two parts that are put together when the page loads (one part that has the big background of the medal, and the other that has the number. It's difficult to generate number images that match up with the medal size, so the existing approach is used instead (pre-generated images). It's possible to chnage it over, but it would require a lot of coding time, that I personally think could be spent somewhere more beneficial to a larger portion of the community.

So if there was no cap, your saying it is hard to generate 175 onto the medal for example.

Yes.

All of the numbers up to 30 have been pre-made as images. I'm currently working on a solution to generate the numbers dynamically, but it may take a while.
Private blakebowling

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

why stop at 999.

raise it to 9999 so merch and HA have something to strive for.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 am

greenoaks wrote:why stop at 999.

Don't jest. When one does reach the 999, this will come up again.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:37 am

koontz1973 wrote:

i'm not jesting. i know this will be brought up again, so long as CC survives.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:55 am

I don't know if it will help, but let me try to be the voice of reason.

Basically this proposal removes the medal cap. That means people will be able to rise to the top of the medals scoreboard by doing the easiest thing imaginable. At present, that is making 16-player single elim tournaments. I estimate the total time one has to invest in making one of those, from start to finish, is less than half an hour. Obviously, it takes more the first time when you're learning, but once you have it all figured out you can definitely crank them out for under half an hour actual work output. Most of us in the tournament world have more self-respect than to do that. I've done a couple of those, just for a break, but I go back to making serious tournaments right after. But if you allow indefinite medals for doing this, then for sure you will have some GLG type come along and farm the system, and crank out 999 half hour tournaments. Is this really what you want? A new generation of farmers?

Right now we have a good system, which rewards people for stretching themselves. If you want to get into contention and have 100+ medals, you have to push yourself in different directions, play different maps, try fog, freestyle, trench, and so on and so forth, work to get GA medals and GC medals and so on. If you allow someone to race up the medals scoreboard for cheap half-hour tour you kiss all that goodbye.

It takes six months of service on Team CC to get one GC medal. Right now it's worth it. Getting into the 100 medals club is difficult enough that having even three or four GCs in there is worth it. But if you flood the market with easy medals, why would someone do so much work? Seriously, why would I work as hard as I do making sure the newsletter comes out, probably 10 hours of work per issue, or about 120 hours of work in the six-month period, if I can just invest 30 minutes, crank out one more 16-player bracket tournament, and get just as far up the medals scoreboard? Is that really what your want? To kill the volunteer pool?

(And similar things could be said about service as a mapmaker.)

I suppose I don't have to worry too much. This proposal is not going to pass. But if it did, I would quit this site. I'm proud of my medal collection. 69 of my 76 medals involved serious exertion of some kind -- that's exactly 90%. Which is a decent balance: if 90% of your medals are tough, and you throw in some easy ones once in a while, that's a decent system. But if someone can come in and just zoom past you doing only what is easy, WTF would be the point of trying?
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 am

Dukasaur wrote:I don't know if it will help, but let me try to be the voice of reason.

Basically this proposal removes the medal cap. That means people will be able to rise to the top of the medals scoreboard by doing the easiest thing imaginable. At present, that is making 16-player single elim tournaments. I estimate the total time one has to invest in making one of those, from start to finish, is less than half an hour. Obviously, it takes more the first time when you're learning, but once you have it all figured out you can definitely crank them out for under half an hour actual work output. Most of us in the tournament world have more self-respect than to do that. I've done a couple of those, just for a break, but I go back to making serious tournaments right after. But if you allow indefinite medals for doing this, then for sure you will have some GLG type come along and farm the system, and crank out 999 half hour tournaments. Is this really what you want? A new generation of farmers?

Right now we have a good system, which rewards people for stretching themselves. If you want to get into contention and have 100+ medals, you have to push yourself in different directions, play different maps, try fog, freestyle, trench, and so on and so forth, work to get GA medals and GC medals and so on. If you allow someone to race up the medals scoreboard for cheap half-hour tour you kiss all that goodbye.

It takes six months of service on Team CC to get one GC medal. Right now it's worth it. Getting into the 100 medals club is difficult enough that having even three or four GCs in there is worth it. But if you flood the market with easy medals, why would someone do so much work? Seriously, why would I work as hard as I do making sure the newsletter comes out, probably 10 hours of work per issue, or about 120 hours of work in the six-month period, if I can just invest 30 minutes, crank out one more 16-player bracket tournament, and get just as far up the medals scoreboard? Is that really what your want? To kill the volunteer pool?

I suppose I don't have to worry too much. This proposal is not going to pass. But if it did, I would quit this site. I'm proud of my medal collection. 69 of my 76 medals involved serious exertion of some kind -- that's exactly 90%. Which is a decent balance: if 90% of your medals are tough, and you throw in some easy ones once in a while, that's a decent system. But if someone can come in and just zoom past you doing only what is easy, WTF would be the point of trying?

I agree with most of this. I think there are probably even easier tournaments than a 16 player bracket. An 8 team doubles single elimination seems easier to me. Maybe it's a push. But what about the GLG tournaments where all he did was create four 8 player games for the whole tournament? Bottom line, diluting the medal pool is bad.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 am

chapcrap wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I don't know if it will help, but let me try to be the voice of reason.

I agree with most of this. I think there are probably even easier tournaments than a 16 player bracket. An 8 team doubles single elimination seems easier to me. Maybe it's a push. But what about the GLG tournaments where all he did was create four 8 player games for the whole tournament? Bottom line, diluting the medal pool is bad.

and he boasted of it while doing it as if to say i found a loophole to exploit and there is not a damn thing any of you can do about.

boy he showed us.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 am

greenoaks wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

i'm not jesting. i know this will be brought up again, so long as CC survives.

you really do not pay attention to my posts evidently

I dont need 500 medals or more to make me happy

I just dont like a cap

I would be fine with having the medal system uniform and giving medals for achieving certain ranges like 90 percent of the medals--just adding platinum and diamond or something like that. (yes that would mean medals get taken away as the most you could have is five for reaching certain levels) To cap off at 30 is just moronic--my first thirty tourney wins are posted on my wall--those are ancient history and it looks stupid.

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 am

Again, there are less than 20 people debating this--just let the public decide and be done with it.

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am

Dukasaur wrote:

You would quit something you love because others got virtual medals. Your virtual medals mean that much to you. I will be honest, I did medal hunt. I would say less than 100 of my 35000 games were about medal hunting though. I played a few assassin and a few terminator, but that is it. I just found it a waste of time to put the effort towards virtual medals. I would say 4 medals max came from trying to get medals. I cannot help that I won so many tourneys and ran so many tourneys because I loved running them. I would be glad to have diamond level and have 25 medals in each category be taken away. Capping is just stupid.

Postby Qwert on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am

>>If these possible then i will put poll and community can decide if they like or not<<

ok from what a read above i get answer that these its possible , because nobody say that these its not possible to implement.
These its good start, today i will post poll.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am

add poll
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Change Roman Numbers on medal to Arabic Numbers=add poll

Postby MoB Deadly on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 am

I am happy with the current improvements that were announced this morning. If my opinion changes after the actual implementation, I will be back to recast my vote.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby Swifte on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm

It still sounds to me like the admin don't WANT to issue a medal for every number - so I don't see the need to change to arabic at this time. The Roman Numerals will fit just fine for what they have planned, and I think they look cool.
Colonel Swifte

Postby jricart on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm

BS... this keep going no-where!

JRT
Lieutenant jricart

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am

MoB Deadly wrote:I am happy with the current improvements that were announced this morning. If my opinion changes after the actual implementation, I will be back to recast my vote.

This voting is not really public. Should have been put in general discussion and should be announced on the home page to get a real reflection from a large amount of players--not that it would mean anything-lol

Postby Fazeem on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 am

never knew how important the medals were to some people
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

qwert, I can give you a definite no --we will not be changing to Arabic. We have some new medals already made with Roman Numerals and they work fine (to be released soon!). Going to go ahead and give an Admin Veto on this suggestion.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:qwert, I can give you a definite no --we will not be changing to Arabic. We have some new medals already made with Roman Numerals and they work fine (to be released soon!). Going to go ahead and give an Admin Veto on this suggestion.

BMO

REJECTED
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Qwert on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm

wow, so much hostility, unbelievable.
Well after map foundry, these are mine second forum where i will give mine self ban, last post here.
chapcrap, greenoaks,koontz, now you can celebrate , you won a battle.
Last edited by Qwert on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions