Conquer Club

Battle Royals a Waste of time???

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Battle Royals a Waste of time???

Postby Chewie1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:49 pm

After an afternoon of Battle Royal Freestyle madness some things to discuss.

1 The obsessed noob who auto assaults first round on a major or higher.
2 The poor bugger whos computer gets lag right at the kick of losing him the game.
3 ( Probably the most important) There is no real point playing a freestyle battle royal unless you have a super fast computer/broadband connection.
Sergeant 1st Class Chewie1

Re: Battle Royals a Waste of time???

Postby Paddy The Cat on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Chewie1 wrote:After an afternoon of Battle Royal Freestyle madness some things to discuss.

2 The poor bugger whos computer gets lag right at the kick of losing him the game.
3 ( Probably the most important) There is no real point playing a freestyle battle royal unless you have a super fast computer/broadband connection.

1. I agree... ive gotten noobed several times today, have won one of the games, and still I am like -200+ points

2. Thats a risk that i think is worth it, though unfortunate for him, this has to be a very small minority

3. I think only very slow connection is bad. i think where 99% of the problem lies is that people havent practiced being quick enough. i used to think that my cpu was just slow, but when i learned how to master clickable maps and got the timing down, i realized it was just me all along. even so, i was always competitive in freestyle speed games, regardless of my speed.
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby Catarah on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

well. from a cooks point of view its a valid way to get some points by killing someone in the first turn.

i do agree about the fast computers, don't play speed freestyle at all unless your computer can handle it.

but i'm having fun with them, so i can't say they're a waste of time!
Captain Catarah

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

agree--I lost my interest in them after I won one last year. Tried twice this year, but after gaining two more foes, decided I was done for this year. Was not going to waste anymore time.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Gilligan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

I don't think that actions taken in Battle Royales necessarily relate to how someone plays a standard game.

For example, if I saw a kill in a BR for 4-5 cards attacking 7v6 or something like that, I'd auto it. Why? The risk is higher than usual, but the payout is immense. Sometimes people get trigger happy and just auto attack and hope it's a last territ. I did that in a Madagascar game, and killed someone out of the panic of freestyle - unfortunately that person only had 1 card and I ended up losing the game.

Would I attack 7v6 in another game? Not necessarily, unless it was also for a great kill.
Captain Gilligan

Postby betiko on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Paddy The Cat wrote:
Chewie1 wrote:After an afternoon of Battle Royal Freestyle madness some things to discuss.

1. I agree... ive gotten noobed several times today, have won one of the games, and still I am like -200+ points

2. Thats a risk that i think is worth it, though unfortunate for him, this has to be a very small minority

3. I think only very slow connection is bad. i think where 99% of the problem lies is that people havent practiced being quick enough. i used to think that my cpu was just slow, but when i learned how to master clickable maps and got the timing down, i realized it was just me all along. even so, i was always competitive in freestyle speed games, regardless of my speed.

not true. I'd like to know if there is any great freestlye player not in the US/canada. My computer is rather good, less than 6 month old, and my connexion is quite good. The servers are in north america. I press like a mental on B to start a turn and some north americans have already had the time to break my bonus, not even talking about deploying. The ping we have on other continents makes all the difference.
Major betiko

Postby Gabriel13 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I do somewhat agree with all of your points.. I did get noobed quite a few times, but really, you just have to get to the game fast, and click "deploy". Don't even look where you are. That's how I survived so many games. And the connection thing.. I don't exactly agree with completely. You can win with a good, not perfect connection. I have a better than average connection, but I'm just a skilled FS player.. Not trying to brag or anything, but I did win 8 BR's.. I think if you tried to win more, you could do it. Next year, just watch out for me, cuz I'm setting a record ;)
Cook Gabriel13

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

This obsessed noob went 100 points+ by taking out high rankers.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 am

I'm sure my computer is fast enough, but I'm just no good at freestyle. As usual, I got killed first or second round every time and I never even knew by who. The situation changed so fast that by the time I'd scroll down from the map to the player list, the map had changed. I think the important thing is not to have a super fast connection, but to be young and have good eyesight so that you can zoom out enough to keep the map and the stats on the screen at the same time, and not have to scroll up and down all the time.

Still, despite my total hopelessness, I had some fun. Just the total bizarreness of the experience was interesting. Not enough fun that I'd want to do it every day, but for once a year it's not bad. I don't regret the points I donated; not everything is about score.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Chewie1 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Gabriel13 wrote:I do somewhat agree with all of your points.. I did get noobed quite a few times, but really, you just have to get to the game fast, and click "deploy". Don't even look where you are. That's how I survived so many games. And the connection thing.. I don't exactly agree with completely. You can win with a good, not perfect connection. I have a better than average connection, but I'm just a skilled FS player.. Not trying to brag or anything, but I did win 8 BR's.. I think if you tried to win more, you could do it. Next year, just watch out for me, cuz I'm setting a record ;)

Your reply strikes a chord.

I'm an excellent esculating spoils player but my connection is bad.

I have at least a 10 second delay, whilst I'm hitting refresh you are halfway through your next turn. I have watched and learnt how to play Freestyle but dont have the tools to run with the big boys. But still join the freestyle speeders cause I love the concept.
Sergeant 1st Class Chewie1

Postby betiko on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Gabriel13 wrote:I do somewhat agree with all of your points.. I did get noobed quite a few times, but really, you just have to get to the game fast, and click "deploy". Don't even look where you are. That's how I survived so many games. And the connection thing.. I don't exactly agree with completely. You can win with a good, not perfect connection. I have a better than average connection, but I'm just a skilled FS player.. Not trying to brag or anything, but I did win 8 BR's.. I think if you tried to win more, you could do it. Next year, just watch out for me, cuz I'm setting a record ;)

and yet another american player good at freestyle!
I'm not talking about internet connexion as I said it's ping.
I'd like to know if a non north american has ever won a battle royale. The fraction of second you lose on the other side of the pond is critical.
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm

I just did the stats.

I ended up playing in 6 BRs, actually managed to kill 3 players along the way, and ended up with a net point loss of only 82 points. Not horrible.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 am

I missed the boat entirely so whoever is complaining should count their blessings.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gabriel13 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am

betiko wrote:

I'd like to know if a non north american has ever won a battle royale. The fraction of second you lose on the other side of the pond is critical.

firth4eva won quite a few and is in the UK..

Quite a few wins in Canada, especially Waterman5000, who won 8, tied with me.
Cook Gabriel13

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 am

So, what about a Battle Royal taking the better part of 4-5 years in order to finish with most of the players that played in it no longer active?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Gabriel13 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:So, what about a Battle Royal taking the better part of 4-5 years in order to finish with most of the players that played in it no longer active?

It's over now.

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1000001
Cook Gabriel13

Postby Gilligan on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Gabriel13 wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:So, what about a Battle Royal taking the better part of 4-5 years in order to finish with most of the players that played in it no longer active?

It's over now.

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1000001

Now it was a waste of time D:
Captain Gilligan

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

One ConquerClubber's waste of time is another's profitable investment.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby betiko on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Gabriel13 wrote:
betiko wrote:

I would ve thought that canada was in north america!
Major betiko

Postby Gabriel13 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm

betiko wrote:
Gabriel13 wrote:
betiko wrote:

I would ve thought that canada was in north america!

I sorry.. I read that wrong.. I thought he said "America". o.0 But there were wins in UK, and I'm sure other countries as well..
Cook Gabriel13

Return to Conquer Club Discussion