Conquer Club

League [17/1] [V5] [P1/2]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

League [17/1] [V5] [P1/2]

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:52 am

Map Name:League
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:64 starting territs. 27 neutral starts. 91 in total.
Special Features:Conditional borders negative bonuses and others
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:No idea but the community decides these things.

In a shadowy part of Africa, a warlord uses the most ingenious ways to oppress his people. The international community cannot sit back and watch any more. But the community cannot decide on the best action. To invade or send in diplomats to negotiate. Based in the early 20th century before the United Nations and the League of Nations even existed (hence the reasons for using colonial or old world names for places and inclusion of the USA. Both of these bodies have copyrighted material so cannot use certain aspects of them.
show: History

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

show: game play
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: League [26/12] [V1] [P1]

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:00 am

NIce to see you thinking outside the box. ;)
:idea: Since you're refering to diplomacy, get rid of all references to attack, assault etc, and use perhaps overcome or persuaded....simply words that fit the map better.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby x-raider on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:44 am

Great original idea.
I think I might have to stare at it for an hour before I could play it. :P

cairnswk wrote:NIce to see you thinking outside the box. ;)
:idea: Since you're refering to diplomacy, get rid of all references to attack, assault etc, and use perhaps overcome or persuaded....simply words that fit the map better.

Yes, like City Mogul...

P.S. I think you mean "exclusion of the USA" in the OP.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:47 am

I can never tell when you are being sarcastic, but I will take this as a compliment.

Nice idea. Will add to next draft.
x-raider wrote:Great original idea.
I think I might have to stare at it for an hour before I could play it. :P
P.S. I think you mean "exclusion of the USA" in the OP.

Thanks.
Hope not. I want it simple enough to play speed on.
inclusion, not exclusion as USA is on the map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Egypt, Canada, India, South Africa and possibly others don't have their official flag. Is there a reason for this?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Egypt, Canada, India, South Africa and possibly others don't have their official flag. Is there a reason for this?

These are the flags of the time period. The Union flag as you mentioned for Canada was in use till 1965 when the current 11 pointed maple leaf on a red/white background came into use. The Egypt flag came into use in 1922, so is wrong. Will replace with this one which is correct for the time. The others you mentioned where all part of the British Empire at the time and have the respective Empire flags. Also, I noticed that the USSR name I have is wrong as that did not come into use until 1922. It needs to change to SU.
show: Egypt

EDIT:
Version 2.
Removed most of the references to attacks etc. Left in ones that enable gameplay.
New Egypt flag. Now right one for time.
USSR becomes Russia as the USSR did not exist till 1922.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:17 pm

koontz1973 wrote:

I can never tell when you are being sarcastic, but I will take this as a compliment.

koontz...if someone is giving me a "hard time", i will be sarcastic...otherwise you should always look positively to my comments <- for future reference eh? :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: League [26/12] [V2] [P1]

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Right, right - I didn't realise you based this on a historical event.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 am

cairnswk wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

koontz...if someone is giving me a "hard time", i will be sarcastic...otherwise you should always look positively to my comments <- for future reference eh? :)

I will try not to give you a hard time then. ;)
ManBungalow wrote:Right, right - I didn't realise you based this on a historical event.

The only thing that is not historical to do with the map is the actual event the map is based on. The league was historical and was the precursor to the League of Nations. Th land in the middle is based on what may of gone on and how a body like this may of dealt with it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:52 am

My apologies, koontz, but I couldn't help noticing you wrote "countires" instead of "countries" in the bottom left.

I'd offer more criticism, but I still have to wrap my head around it gameplay-wise (I want to see if I can figure it out on my own, though).
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks sempai, working on another update to get things clearer. GP wise, this is a very simple map, it just looks complicated.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: League [3/1] [V3] [P1]

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 am

Large update here. Things moved, made clearer and look is slightly different.
Major GP change is that the diplomatic pipes are now all connected to the opposite corner. Takes care of any problem.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

Minor update while we all wait. ;)
Sorted out some confusing text and glows. Added the world in for good measure.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:38 am

So,

I don't understand what "junction _ connects to junction _" means.

Attack routes along the back channels..."countries can negotiate with the next one along diplomatic back channels". I think I understand, but I'm not 100% here.
Let's take Greece, for example. The borders I think it has:
Germany
Bulgaria
Canada
Hungary

Is this accurate?

Spelling: deligation = delegation.

"Control all non-civilian areas to win". Does this mean that one can hold all of the green areas - except the village-y regions - in the middle in order to win?

Also, you have a little area of something that looks like a barcode at the extreme bottom border of the map image. On both sides.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:52 am

ManBungalow wrote:So,

I don't understand what "junction _ connects to junction _" means.

I am trying to find a way to get the 4 corners to join up. My original idea was to have both sides separate like Arms race. Then players can battle out for each side and then meet in the middle. Just could not work out a way to do it and have both side balanced. All 4 corners have a name, Junction 1 through 4. 1 to 4, 2 to 3. So all corners meet the opposite corner.
Attack routes along the back channels..."countries can negotiate with the next one along diplomatic back channels". I think I understand, but I'm not 100% here.
Let's take Greece, for example. The borders I think it has:
Germany
Bulgaria
Canada
Hungary

Is this accurate?

Correct. Back channels seems to be a nice way to say attack without using the word attack or assault. cairns made the point that a the map has a lot of diplomacy issues about it, attack and assault are not words that fit with the theme.
Spelling: deligation = delegation.

Will fix.
"Control all non-civilian areas to win". Does this mean that one can hold all of the green areas - except the village-y regions - in the middle in order to win?

Yes, if you hold the majority of the War council. That is one of the winning conditions. For the diplomatic side, it is hold the majority of the diplomats and the capital only.
Also, you have a little area of something that looks like a barcode at the extreme bottom border of the map image. On both sides.

Noticed that myself. Going through the layers one at a time to try and find the offending layer. But now I am up to around 200 layers so it might take time to find. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:25 am

Fixed the spelling spotted by ManB.
Does the new text strip clear up the back channels now?
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: League [5/1] [V4] [P1/2]

Postby mr. CD on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 am

Great idea, I really like it. Great looks for a draft too.

It still says Countires in the bottom right.
I'm not sure what you mean by the population centers, is that the same as civilians? If so I think you should mention that.
I think you should refer to Press corps instead of the news conference in the highest legend.
Are the 'i's in Incursion and Civilians meant to be 1s? It looks quite terrible if you ask me. (no offense)

But on the whole, a great idea, really looking forward to seeing it progress.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks for the look in mr. CD. Always nice to see new guys posting around what they like. Hope this gets all of your concerns but if not, let me know.
Also, finally found the layer with those pixels on and removed them.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BluU on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Some other flags you need to change so they will meet the history timeframe:

Persia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_ ... 910%29.svg
Afghanistan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_afghanistan

I think : Arginitina should be Argentina
I think Russia should be listed as USSR. If you keep Russia, you should change the flag.
Major BluU

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am

BluU wrote:Some other flags you need to change so they will meet the history timeframe:

Persia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_ ... 910%29.svg
Afghanistan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_afghanistan

I think : Arginitina should be Argentina
I think Russia should be listed as USSR. If you keep Russia, you should change the flag.

Thanks BluU.
I believe that is the Persian flag I used but will double check my files later today.
Afghanistan will change to this one. Used between 1901 and 1919.
Will change spelling.
USSR started life in 1922. This was during the League of Nations (started in 1919) so to have that flag, I would need to change the map to a league of nations. That runs me into lots of road blocks on what I can use and cannot use from that organisation, mainly the countries involved on the map. Whilst all the above countries where involved in the LofN, not all where joined up at the same time. The League was the precursor to the League of Nations (1916-1918).
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:07 am

Above changes. Afgan flag and spelling. Also reduced the contrast of brown backing and increased the darkness of the world image to bring it out some more.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: League [17/1] [V5] [P1/2]

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

nice idea.
how did you connection between nations (blue, red, white lines)? sometimes I understand - European nations attack European, but sometimes there is no "lohic" for me. for example UK - Nicaragua o Uruguay...

for Russia you can maybe use this flag (yours were used around 1922!
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm

In fact we are both wrong on the flag Oneyed. Your one is for 1918-1925. That is to late in the time line as the League was around 1916.
This should be the correct one. The dates are 1883-1918.

The connections where mainly done for European powers, blocs of influence, trading partners at the time. Some others where added to balance game play. But more than will for you to suggest adding or taking away of any if it helps.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 am

koontz1973 wrote:In fact we are both wrong on the flag Oneyed. Your one is for 1918-1925. That is to late in the time line as the League was around 1916.

sorry me, but many states did not exist in 1916... maybe move the date after World War I or add there relevant states?
koontz1973 wrote:This should be the correct one. The dates are 1883-1918.

I thought that date is after WWI when I look at states. then this is valid flag from 1914 - 1917, I think.
Click image to enlarge.

koontz1973 wrote:The connections where mainly done for European powers, blocs of influence, trading partners at the time. Some others where added to balance game play. But more than will for you to suggest adding or taking away of any if it helps.

I do not understand why for example UK has not connection to India (its colony)? will look more into this when will be more clear date or states.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am

Oneyed wrote:sorry me, but many states did not exist in 1916... maybe move the date after World War I or add there relevant states?

I know a lot did not exist at some point in the time frame. But all of the ones on the board belonged to the League of Nations and did exist within the time frame of 1916-1919 when the League of Nations came about.

I thought that date is after WWI when I look at states. then this is valid flag from 1914 - 1917, I think.
Click image to enlarge.

That flag is for ceremonial issues only. It is the tricolour Russian flag with the Tsars crest on it. The tricolour preceded the one you showed first. They changed it in 1918. It is on the border of the timeline but not the majority of it.

I do not understand why for example UK has not connection to India (its colony)? will look more into this when will be more clear date or states.

Oneyed

Uk has no connection to India as the two sides do not connect. Do not think of the connections as India belonged to the UK and therefore must have a connection. If you look at the League of Nations or the UN, the seating of diplomats is done in alphabetical order of country. Not who has alliances with who, this is why I did the countries like this. As for the time frame, the League was a body that was set up in 1916 but never really came about. It was the initial idea though that brought about the league of nations. So USA is on the map as it started the League, but it never joined the League of Nations.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas