Conquer Club

Why Stiffer Gun Control/Bannings Are In Order

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Stiffer Gun Control/Bannings Are In Order

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
KoolBak wrote:I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

You mean for our checkbooks. We are the ones who pay the taxes.

Actually, at the federal level, we only pay 60% of the costs. They just charge the rest to future generations.
Major Night Strike

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Indeed....thanks for the clarification ;)
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Faith in the State wrote:
KoolBak wrote:I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

You mean for our checkbooks. We are the ones who pay the taxes.

I wonder if an impartial cost-benefit analysis was conducted in order to determine if the current expenditures are more effective and actually save the taxpayers more money--compared to simply paying a $200 ticket.

Here, we can invent several assumptions about the government:

(1) Why, yes, BBS. Bureaucracies fiercely pursue cost-saving methods--regardless of how much it highlights how unnecessary that bureaucracy is and regardless of how much it lowers the budget, and the prestige, power, salaries, and what not of its bureaucrats. Never mind what other bureaucrats have told you how it is!

(2) I doubt it. Each bureaucracy fights to maintain and to expand its current budget--regardless of the cost-effectiveness. They're using other people's money which was gained involuntarily, so the use of such money tends not to be judicious. The many bureaucracies would reject an impartial agency which would monitor them for cost-effectiveness, but they'd be open to an 'impartial' agency to give them the guise of 'doing it right'.

The organization of government does not behave like businesses in the market, so satisfying customers becomes exceedingly difficult without the benefit of making decisions based on changes in profit. It may be the case that issuing $200 or $500 tickets is the most cost-effective manner, but such avenues of discovery are curbed in favor of more 'profitable' endeavors (e.g. expensive TV programs hosted by well-paid doctors which supposedly and without a doubt decrease total Human Vegetables--which the government covers and not including those covered by private insurance and by non-public individuals).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:58 pm

I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right choice. Just that whatever decision is made is ultimately going to affect us and how much we pay in taxes.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right choice. Just that whatever decision is made is ultimately going to affect us and how much we pay in taxes.

Aye, and around 12PM it is noon.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 pm

KoolBak wrote:I believe Star referred ONLY to Gun Control regs that punish honest people and do nothing to criminals. The seatbelt / helmet was an example, which I also DETEST. I taught my children to be safe but, dammit, I don't want to have to wear that shit all the time. I did learn, however, WHY they passed those laws.....

I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

Anyway...I liked your post Star....back to the ropes.

Legalized Euthanasia would help those things.

I mean, if someone's family can foot the bill to keep a vegetable alive, fine; otherwise, let the person move on.. and if there is no "on" well, how many of you would really like to exist like that, being force-fed via stomach tube and intravenous sugar, with machines pumping your lungs? Dr. Kavorkian understood that there are MANY who don't want to continue with whatever conditions they had, and I'd think that was much more humanitarian than what the laws currently force.

But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
KoolBak wrote:I believe Star referred ONLY to Gun Control regs that punish honest people and do nothing to criminals. The seatbelt / helmet was an example, which I also DETEST. I taught my children to be safe but, dammit, I don't want to have to wear that shit all the time. I did learn, however, WHY they passed those laws.....

I got a seatbelt ticket and could either pay $200 or pay $20 and take a class. So, this class was hours of preaching and a horrendous triple-R rated real movie of people fucked up in accidents. 2 people in the class ran out to puke....several were crying...it was awful. But in the end, the Doctor (yes Doctor) that was teaching the class said in a nutshell, the law was passed so the govt ends up footing the bill for fewer living vegetables subsequent to lack of seatbelt / helmet accidents. Apparently it's a multi billion dollar annual expense......makes sense; it's not for our safety, it's for their checkbook.....lol.

Anyway...I liked your post Star....back to the ropes.

Legalized Euthanasia would help those things.

I mean, if someone's family can foot the bill to keep a vegetable alive, fine; otherwise, let the person move on.. and if there is no "on" well, how many of you would really like to exist like that, being force-fed via stomach tube and intravenous sugar, with machines pumping your lungs? Dr. Kavorkian understood that there are MANY who don't want to continue with whatever conditions they had, and I'd think that was much more humanitarian than what the laws currently force.

But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.

Why? Wouldn't responsible gun owners try to follow the law?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:Why? Wouldn't responsible gun owners try to follow the law?

They're the only ones who WILL be following the law. The criminals will just keep doing what they are doing knowing there will be fewer victims with guns around.
Major Night Strike

Postby Ray Rider on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Night Strike wrote:

They're the only ones who WILL be following the law. The criminals will just keep doing what they are doing knowing there will be fewer victims with guns around.

In general yes, although I have many friends who are normally law-abiding citizens in every way; but when the Canadian government passed the long-gun registry law a number of years ago, many of them simply refused to register simply because they believed the government was overstepping its bounds and infringing on their rights and freedoms. Some organizations estimated that around 70% of firearms were never registered.

And as Stargazer mentioned, costs drastically increased from the initial estimate of $2 million to over $2 billion dollars and rising before our current government scrapped it (thankfully).

If that was the result in the relatively non-violent and liberal nation of Canada, what do you think the result would be if a similar program were attempted in the US?
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby unscrupulous2013 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:We aren't even talking about taking away all guns. We're talking about controlling what guns can be sold and who can have access to them.

1) No more handgun sales to the public, but handguns that are already in private ownership can still be bought, sold, inherited, and traded.

2) No more sales of military/assault weapons, clips, jackets, ect.

3) Most guns sold are sold through gun shows where sales are not controlled. There are no background checks, allowing gun manufacturers to sell indirectly to criminals. So either we need to:
    a) strictly enforce background checks
    b) allow victims of gun violence to sue gun manufacturers
    c) ban gun shows

4) Anyone who houses or has an unsound or unstable mind may not have a gun in the home. No exceptions.

Is this not a respectable compromise? This is fair and addresses the problems that both sides have. Gun enthusiasts can keep all the rifles and shotguns that they like, while liberals can rest easier knowing that insane and violent people wont have access to handguns or assault rifles. You even get to keep your hand guns.
If you don't budge an inch you wont get anything you want at all. Because Democrats have repeatedly shown, over and over, that if you wont compromise then we will wait and wait until we have the majority. And then Conservatives get nothing.

I just thought we could all take a sec to LAUGH OUT-FUCKING LOUD :lol:
New Recruit unscrupulous2013

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:13 am

Night Strike wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Also, regulation is perfectly constitutional and legitimate. So I'm not sure why there's outrage against these types of items. Let me ask you this Night Strike - are you in favor of waiting periods and restrictions comparable to regular purchases of guns for gun show purchases of guns? If not, why not? What is the constitutional difference between purchasing a gun from a store and purchasing a gun from a gun show?

Regulations cannot infringe on Constitutional rights

This is a dumb position, Night Strike. There are perfectly valid reasons why the right to, for instance, free speech is infringed on. There is nothing wrong with this.

Night Strike wrote:especially when the 2nd amendment specifically states "shall not be infringed". We cannot continue regulating our right to own and carry guns until that right is gone.

Yet you FAVOR infringing on the 2nd Amendment rights of some people THAT YOU HAPPEN TO THINK SHOULDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT. You SUPPORT the infringement. Therefore, you have no leg to stand on in regards to stating that infringement of the 2nd Amendment cannot happen.

Night Strike wrote:As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous.

Tough shit. Price of doing business.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:19 am

stahrgazer wrote:But, Mets, if they do have stiffer gun control, you'd better believe our taxes will go up in order to pay for more enforcers (police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF, etc.) to sniff out those with the wrong firearm or wrong ammo clips.

Maybe they could get them from the failed War on Drugs.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 am

but of course, ask someone to show their ID when it comes time to elect our leaders who make policy that affects our everyday life and pocketbooks and workplace as well as countless other areas, and it's screaming bloody murder and racism....
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 am

Phatscotty wrote:but of course, ask someone to show their ID when it comes time to elect our leaders who make policy that affects our everyday life, and it's screaming bloody murder and racism....

Yes, why ARE you a hypocrite in that arena, Phatscotty?

Postby Night Strike on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:48 am

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:As for background checks, I already stated that forcing every private individual to call up the FBI and wait for a background check is quite onerous.

Most aren't interstate commerce, so the federal government doesn't hold jurisdiction.
Major Night Strike

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:18 am

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Most aren't interstate commerce, so the federal government doesn't hold jurisdiction.
One of the biggst problems is that a lot of online and interperson trade IS done to people out of state, and its not just a casual problem when someone simply traveling trhough a state (perhaps only because of an emergency) can be arrested for unknowingly not following a state's laws.

And, no, ... it doesn't take a long time to get a check. Usually it takes less than 5 minutes. If it takes longer, then there likely is something to find.

Night Strike wrote:

You have no evidence to back your statements, only beliefs.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 am

I heard an interesting proposal by one of the lesser known gun advocate groups. I only got part of the interview, but what I heard sounded intriguing.

Basically, they proposed having people who want to buy guns from a private person, anyone NOT a licensed dealer, would get a card to prove that they can buy guns. The onus would be on the purchaser, not the seller to do it. ALONG with that, they proposed simplifying the system.

I can see some issues, but it seems like it might be a better proposal than the one that was just rejected. People could still go to licensed dealers, but others could use this online program.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Night Strike on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

One of the biggst problems is that a lot of online and interperson trade IS done to people out of state, and its not just a casual problem when someone simply traveling trhough a state (perhaps only because of an emergency) can be arrested for unknowingly not following a state's laws.

And, no, ... it doesn't take a long time to get a check. Usually it takes less than 5 minutes. If it takes longer, then there likely is something to find.

That's because some states decide it's okay to ignore the 2nd amendment and the federal government has rarely stepped in and remedied those actions.

Night Strike wrote:

You have no evidence to back your statements, only beliefs.[/quote]

Chicago. Both the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado and Sandy Hook Elementary were "gun free zones".
Major Night Strike

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
patches70 wrote:Suicide is not against the law. You won't find anyone in prison for attempted suicide. .

That's not true, though the exact laws vary by state. Jail may be less common than a psychiatric institution, but it definitely is illegal to commit suicide in most areas, mostly because it involves extra use of emergency services.. particularly things like jumping off a bridge.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 am

Night Strike wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

That's because some states decide it's okay to ignore the 2nd amendment and the federal government has rarely stepped in and remedied those actions.

Not even close to true.. and not relevant. You claimed it takes an onerous amount of time to get a gun check. Less than 5 minutes hardly qualifies as an undoamount of time.

And per the different state laws, particularly carry laws, nothing at all to do with the second amendment. You cannot have it bother ways... claim the federal government has no jurisdiction AND that states are not protecting the second amendment properly.
Night Strike wrote:

You have no evidence to back your statements, only beliefs.[/quote]

Chicago. Both the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado and Sandy Hook Elementary were "gun free zones".[/quote]
Definitely not proof of the above, at all.

NO ONE is claiming that any check will stop crime, particularly not those who are truly intent. The claim, and the one you cannot truly refute with evidence is that registering guns or restricting guns will not mean fewer gun crimes. Also, there is a HUGE difference between small, independent "gun free" zones and a widespread, uniform set of rules. Also, by-the way, neither Aurora nor Sandy Hook truly were "gun free zones" -- unless you mean JUST the school and movie theatres.

See, having a lot less crime is significant, demanding NO crime is just unreasonable.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby -Maximus- on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Night Strike wrote: Both the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado and Sandy Hook Elementary were "gun free zones".

FALSE! I live in Colorado and actually it was not a "gun free zone". If you were being sarcastic because of the quotations you do not need to read the rest of what I posted.

If that was a statement:
The CO state regs do not have any language that a conceal carry permit holder cannot conceal carry in that Aurora theater. A gun buster sign is not enough to keep a law abiding citizen from carrying into a business in Colorado. It is merely a rule that the business owner implies. It is not against the law to break a rule because a rule is not law. Now if the business ghosts your firearm and they ask you to leave, you are subject to trespassing by not leaving.

The same applies for the Denver International Airport, as long as a concealed weapons permit holder does not pass through security, that same person can be anywhere in baggage claim, check in, etc. Yes they have gun buster signs entering the airport, these do not meet state requirements to keep a conceal weapon holder from entering (unless they want to pass through security, have fun with that!)
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf (Page 5) But we cannot just assume some website posted correct language, so on to the next URL I have added.
http://www.rmgo.org/firearms/concealed-carry/313-colorado-s-concealed-carry-law (download Colorado SENATE BILL 03-024, look at 18-12-214)

Please don't post false statements about when and where concealed carry permit holders can carry in this or that state unless you know the law for that state.
If you wrong me I will hunt you down and destroy you.
Major -Maximus-

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

It's certainly not unusual for individuals to travel to another state to purchase firearms, Night Strike. I have students who have gone to gun shows in Iowa and Kansas.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:48 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Basically, they proposed having people who want to buy guns from a private person, anyone NOT a licensed dealer, would get a card to prove that they can buy guns. The onus would be on the purchaser, not the seller to do it. ALONG with that, they proposed simplifying the system.

This is not a bad idea, but then we have to worry about counterfeit proof.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:50 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
patches70 wrote:Suicide is not against the law. You won't find anyone in prison for attempted suicide. .

That's not true, though the exact laws vary by state. Jail may be less common than a psychiatric institution, but it definitely is illegal to commit suicide in most areas, mostly because it involves extra use of emergency services.. particularly things like jumping off a bridge.

There's typically a difference seen between attempted suicide and successful suicide. I know that it used to be illegal in Florida (I'm not sure if the law has changed since I moved out of the state) to commit suicide (yeah, I know), but it was not illegal to attempt suicide. I'm not sure WHY there's a distinction, to be honest.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:54 pm

-Maximus- wrote:Now if the business ghosts your firearm

I've never heard this particular term - what does it mean?

I presume it has something to do with being able to tell you're carrying in some fashion?

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,