Practice Maps/Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Practice Maps/Games

Postby mr cookies on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 am

Description:
Why can new players with question marks join complex games with hot shot players? I believe that CC should auto set up "Training Games" for new players.

Specifics/Details:
When a new player wants to join a game they should be guided to one of only a few games that are set up on classic with basic settings. These games will be auto set up by CC and more will be created as they are filled. Only new players will be able to join these games(CC can decide when they have had enough training I'd say after two or three of these games). They will battle it out with other new players with simple settings and easy to understand maps. Note: these games will be their only option to join until they complete however many are required.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
This will sort of ease new players into the CC world, pitting them against other new players on maps and settings that will not confuse them. This may increase the likelihood that these players will become CC regulars.
User avatar
Major mr cookies
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:32 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Practice maps (1 player mode)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 am

This is a community site. Its meant to have interaction with other real people.
Also, I can just imagine the complains about the computer player when the dice go bad. Already people our going crazy cause they don't like the dice.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Captain Sir. Ricco
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: Making kingdoms burn and bloodshed start.
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Practice maps (1 player mode)

Postby Streaker on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 am

Maybe the 1 player mode (against CPU) can have other settings.

For example:
-Bad dice for cpu
-average dice for cpu
-good dice for cpu
-godlike dice (or real CC dice, whatever you want) for cpu


Just make private games for new maps and settings, and invite people who are experts on that map to teach you.
You will lose a small amount of points and with that experience you can farm those points back in no time 8-)
Major Streaker
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:05 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Practice maps (1 player mode)

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Yes, please, lets make this happen. I was going to add this to my suggestions about noobs, but you beat me to it. Actually I was trying to find the original suggestion back on page 300...but good enough.

Even if they implemented just one map on a one v computer option, it would be perfect.
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Practice maps (1 player mode)

Postby drunkmonkey on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

There are two options on this site:

1) Play new maps & settings, learn, and have fun.
2) Worry about how many points you have.

I don't think you can have both.
Image
User avatar
Major drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm
Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Training games for new players

Postby CBlake on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Description:
Why can new players with question marks join complex games with hot shot players? I believe that CC should auto set up "Training Games" for new players.

Specifics/Details:
When a new player wants to join a game they should be guided to one of only a few games that are set up on classic with basic settings. These games will be auto set up by CC and more will be created as they are filled. Only new players will be able to join these games(CC can decide when they have had enough training I'd say after two or three of these games). They will battle it out with other new players with simple settings and easy to understand maps. Note: these games will be their only option to join until they complete however many are required.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
This will sort of ease new players into the CC world, pitting them against other new players on maps and settings that will not confuse them. This may increase the likelihood that these players will become CC regulars.
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
User avatar
Captain CBlake
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Where the wild things are
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:31 pm

I think this has been suggested before. I don't have time to check right now.

The issue with this is that, often, new players miss turns. If new players get into games with only other new players, they can become disillusioned because everyone is missing turns.
Image
User avatar
Captain chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby CBlake on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 pm

chapcrap wrote:I think this has been suggested before. I don't have time to check right now.

The issue with this is that, often, new players miss turns. If new players get into games with only other new players, they can become disillusioned because everyone is missing turns.


They will miss turns regardless.. Whether they are playing new players or getting slaughtered by regulars. I don't understand how you can justify having them in games with people who have thousands of games worth of experience on maps that are too complex for them to understand. That's no way to build a community, you want to ease in and CATER to your new players. Otherwise the vicious cycle of them just quitting will continue.
Say some of them do miss turns in the training game, its bound to happen naturally.. Well someone has to win that game correct? How do you think that will make a new player feel winning his first ever game? I'm sure a hell of a lot better than getting dismantled by an experienced player. If you get half of those players to keep playing afterwards then you have succeeded. They have a more built up confidence and will get a better understanding of the basics by playing a basic set-up game.

For instance most multiplayer video games have training modes Ex. On call of duty they have training games for new players and some even have bots playing (Not possible here, but you get the point) You would never just throw a new player into the fire, that just does not make sense. The likelihood he or she will become discouraged after one game is enormous.

More than likely you will just find another reason why it will not work, try to kill it, and this will die out, but to me its just common sense. After all don't you want these players to stick around?
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
User avatar
Captain CBlake
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Where the wild things are
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Some new people want to face better competition. It's justifiable because we want to keep people around. In addition, that's how it's already done. We don't need to justify it. You need to justify this suggestion.

How can we justify segregating NRs, but not allowing rank segregation?
Image
User avatar
Captain chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby CBlake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:07 pm

chapcrap wrote:Some new people want to face better competition. It's justifiable because we want to keep people around. In addition, that's how it's already done. We don't need to justify it. You need to justify this suggestion.

How can we justify segregating NRs, but not allowing rank segregation?


So you are telling me that one or two games against other NRs is going to kill them? If it is their first game, then playing against "Better competition" is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. I wouldn't play my first basketball game ever and walk up to MJ and say hey I've never played bball before but I think I have a shot to beat you.. .That is just silly, they barely even know the game and usually walk into a game that is almost destined for them to lose from jump street, because of the complexity of settings and map, its like a death trap and they probably don't learn anything because they are beaten so quickly.
Sounds like a great way to get repeat customers :roll:
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
User avatar
Captain CBlake
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Where the wild things are
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby darth emperor on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

CBlake wrote:So you are telling me that one or two games against other NRs is going to kill them? If it is their first game, then playing against "Better competition" is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. I wouldn't play my first basketball game ever and walk up to MJ and say hey I've never played bball before but I think I have a shot to beat you.. .That is just silly, they barely even know the game and usually walk into a game that is almost destined for them to lose from jump street, because of the complexity of settings and map, its like a death trap and they probably don't learn anything because they are beaten so quickly.
Sounds like a great way to get repeat customers :roll:

You are assuming two things:
1-That they are new recruits, doesn't mean they don't know how to play this game. This site is not the only who offers this type of world (or whatever) domination. Other pages on the internet, and I also heard some rumors, that someone made a board game about this, but probably is a rumor :roll:

2-Let's assume, you are right about the first thing, and that all NR are clueless of the game, and that this is their first time playing. That doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer to play the experts, to continue in your example, If I had never played bball, I would totally prefer to play against MJ, than some random dude, and not because I think I can beat him, I don't have any chance. But I'll learn, much more (and correctly) for an expert and not against someone who has never played it (aka others NR)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 pm
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby CBlake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm

darth emperor wrote:
CBlake wrote:So you are telling me that one or two games against other NRs is going to kill them? If it is their first game, then playing against "Better competition" is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. I wouldn't play my first basketball game ever and walk up to MJ and say hey I've never played bball before but I think I have a shot to beat you.. .That is just silly, they barely even know the game and usually walk into a game that is almost destined for them to lose from jump street, because of the complexity of settings and map, its like a death trap and they probably don't learn anything because they are beaten so quickly.
Sounds like a great way to get repeat customers :roll:

You are assuming two things:
1-That they are new recruits, doesn't mean they don't know how to play this game. This site is not the only who offers this type of world (or whatever) domination. Other pages on the internet, and I also heard some rumors, that someone made a board game about this, but probably is a rumor :roll:

2-Let's assume, you are right about the first thing, and that all NR are clueless of the game, and that this is their first time playing. That doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer to play the experts, to continue in your example, If I had never played bball, I would totally prefer to play against MJ, than some random dude, and not because I think I can beat him, I don't have any chance. But I'll learn, much more (and correctly) for an expert and not against someone who has never played it (aka others NR)


You wouldn't learn anything you would get pummeled while tears rolled down your face. You would be trying to learn to run before you could walk or crawl. You have to start with basics.
This site is really not too comparable to the board game in my opinion. You are going to tell me that someone playing for the first time on a map like waterloo or AoR with fog of war and trench on know what the hell is going on?
Anyways I could see how you would want new players to be one and done with their games makes alot of sense, I probably won't respond again because I could care less just trying to point something out that makes no sense... Anyways time to go play some more people that are clueless! See ya!
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
User avatar
Captain CBlake
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Where the wild things are
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby agentcom on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 pm

New recruits are blocked from joining games on the more complex maps on the site. That list is updated from time to time. The main concern with segregating NR's is not that they will miss their own turns and cause the games to be unenjoyable, it is that other NR's will miss their turns and excessively delay games. When you're only playing 4 games at a time, I would think it's a better learning experience to get whooped quickly on a couple maps and get to play more games, then wait days and days for turns because everyone else is missing turns.
Image
User avatar
Colonel agentcom
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Training games for new players

Postby darth emperor on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

CBlake wrote:You wouldn't learn anything you would get pummeled while tears rolled down your face. You would be trying to learn to run before you could walk or crawl. You have to start with basics.
This site is really not too comparable to the board game in my opinion. You are going to tell me that someone playing for the first time on a map like waterloo or AoR with fog of war and trench on know what the hell is going on?
Anyways I could see how you would want new players to be one and done with their games makes alot of sense, I probably won't respond again because I could care less just trying to point something out that makes no sense... Anyways time to go play some more people that are clueless! See ya!

And again, you won't learn at all the basics, playing with another who doesn't know anything, atleast with the expert you'll see things(aka tactics, strategies), and you'll try to imitate them in other game, that's how babies start learning by imitation, a baby will learn more to walk watching someone expert in running, than seeing another baby that also doesn't know how to walk (he'll only learn from the other baby, if the other baby already knows or knows much more).
Tears rolled down your face?? Really? That's getting way too emotional for something you don't know, just enjoy being defeated 100 times and learn 100 ways of how not to play.

That's why I said another pages, and then mentioned the board, they have another maps in other pages. But your suggestion says that NR should play only in classic map with the basic settings. How will that help them with waterloo or AoR with fog of war and trench? It seems you just want to get riddance of the NRs.

Also, trench it seems to be a common setting in some places of the world, for the board game, but I get your point.
So tell me, what about your first time in fog games? or in trench? or in freestyle? or nuclear or a old map that you haven't tried? Did you play it with NR? or with noobs of that setting as you were? or with experts that had many games under their belt with that setting/map?
If we follow your logic, then we should do training for players who are new in a setting or a map, in others words, someone who ONLY has played 100000 sequential games, here in the classic map, decides to play a freestyle game in africa's map. Shouldn't he get the training for new players before?
If your answer is no, that means that you only want to ban NR, not to "help them" as you say.
On the other hand, if your answer is yes, how do you suggest that we do that? It would be simple if we had different scores for different settings and maps, but as we don't have it, we should find for something that discerns in which settings/maps are you new. Also, I suppose that, this games being training game I suppose that you can win and lose points as usual right?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 pm
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)


Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shinmen Musashi

cron
Login