Conquer Club

Truces, what do you think?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Does your truces usually work out?

Total votes : 0

Truces, what do you think?

Postby krusher on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 am

Just thought I'd vent a little and get some opinions and maybe advise. What do you guys think about Truces/Border Truces/Round Truces? I have been playing for a very long time and for the most part have never seen such dishonesty and blatant backstabbing as of late. Out of my last 15-20 games I can only recall one game where the guy that I had a truce with actually followed it to the letter. As of recently EVERY truce that I have offered and stated in clear terms have all been broken beforehand. It has become so bad that I no longer trust anyone enough to offer a truce and expect them to honor it. The offenders vary from new player with a low ranking to more expert players with high ranking. So I ask you what is the point of truces if none can be trusted? Does your truce usually work out? Do you see a rise in players breaking truces without notice for their own benefit? And what would be some justifiable reasons (if any) for a player to break a truce without warning? Comment!
Captain krusher

Re: Truces, what do you think?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Maybe your name instills too much fear in their hearts, so they act rashly.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

What usually happens to me if the truce is broken is my opponent pleads ignorance which sometimes is more infuriating than a flat out betrayal. They will say something to the effect of "oh, I didn't know you meant that border", etc.. Some miscommunication is usually blamed when to me the grounds of the truce are pretty plain since I am careful to set them to be that way. I just take it as an insult to my intelligence(insert joke here).
Ultimately I have pretty much given up on declaring truces and no longer rely on them to strengthen my game. I'm sick of worrying whether or not they are going to be broken so I just don't form them anymore. I'm not sure how it used to be but I've had pretty much the same experiences regarding truces as I did when I first started playing two years ago.
By the way, isn't Krusher a former conquerer? If so, why no medal?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Just_essence on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Truces for me usually works in such as I let them conquer my territories that they obviously want, in exchange for me conquering their territories that I obviously want without any retaliation as well, and then it becomes a regular truce. The only time anyone has broken it is when we're the last two people in the game (Me playing stupidly and letting the other guy in the truce take the weak players, and the other guy gets to do the escalating sweep) and there's obviously only one person to attack. I mean, even in escalating Classic, I usually get a bonus for minimal casualties because of my truce. And I'm usually the only one proactively using diplomacy. I would find someone whose continent they're trying to take over is right next to me, propose a truce based on the fact that we would both lose if we didn't, and it takes a lot of pressure off of both of us, and we usually manage to capture our bonuses easily. We also usually are the last two people in the game, which is why having one more ally than the other players is usually what I do in a game. Pick a player, reason with him/her, and they usually accept it (after all, it is a win-win situation).
Private Just_essence

Postby krusher on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:What usually happens to me if the truce is broken is my opponent pleads ignorance which sometimes is more infuriating than a flat out betrayal. They will say something to the effect of "oh, I didn't know you meant that border", etc.. Some miscommunication is usually blamed when to me the grounds of the truce are pretty plain since I am careful to set them to be that way. I just take it as an insult to my intelligence(insert joke here).
Ultimately I have pretty much given up on declaring truces and no longer rely on them to strengthen my game. I'm sick of worrying whether or not they are going to be broken so I just don't form them anymore. I'm not sure how it used to be but I've had pretty much the same experiences regarding truces as I did when I first started playing two years ago.
By the way, isn't Krusher a former conquerer? If so, why no medal?

Regarding the plead of ignorance I had that happen to me quite often. I Adapted by being as specific as possible. What commonly happened was I'd ask for a 2 round notice before breaking the truce on (specific border) people would abuse this and count the round that they announced their wish to disolve the truce i.e end of round 13 they'd finish their turn and announce their wish to break truce, on round 15 they'd immidietly attack, in my mind a 2 round notice would mean they announce on 13 and attack on 16. So 14 and 15 would be the 2 rounds, I don't count the round that they announce because most of the time you have already played your turn and can't do nothing about it and typically a 1 round notice is not enough to prepare your defenses in a border that is defenseless.

I am a firm believer in truces, its a strategy game after all and I think diplomacy is as important as the attack button. Not to mention it can make the game fun.

Back in the day truces were different, the terms were more vague and generally people were more hesitant to attack unless they could eliminate you or hold what they took from you. We were all regulars and knew each other so there was a higher standard. Maps have become more complex harder for 1 man to control and the people more random and "liberal" on their words and actions which all adds up to the decay of the trust that is needed for a truce to work.

I was a former conqueror but sadly these hypocrits refuse to award me the medal since I was busted fo SD. :lol:
Captain krusher

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm

krusher wrote:Regarding the plead of ignorance I had that happen to me quite often. I Adapted by being as specific as possible. What commonly happened was I'd ask for a 2 round notice before breaking the truce on (specific border) people would abuse this and count the round that they announced their wish to disolve the truce i.e end of round 13 they'd finish their turn and announce their wish to break truce, on round 15 they'd immidietly attack, in my mind a 2 round notice would mean they announce on 13 and attack on 16. So 14 and 15 would be the 2 rounds, I don't count the round that they announce because most of the time you have already played your turn and can't do nothing about it and typically a 1 round notice is not enough to prepare your defenses in a border that is defenseless.

I guess if you noted the specific round the attacking could begin that would solve any confusion eh? *makes mental note*.
krusher wrote:I am a firm believer in truces, its a strategy game after all and I think diplomacy is as important as the attack button. Not to mention it can make the game fun.

Don't get me wrong, I've used diplomacy to win, I can be very fork-tongued when I choose but I do end up feeling a little cheap. It's a fault of mine and another reason I don't use it much. :P

krusher wrote:Back in the day truces were different, the terms were more vague and generally people were more hesitant to attack unless they could eliminate you or hold what they took from you. We were all regulars and knew each other so there was a higher standard. Maps have become more complex harder for 1 man to control and the people more random and "liberal" on their words and actions which all adds up to the decay of the trust that is needed for a truce to work.

This is a good point. I don't know most of the people I play with so proposing a truce is that much more risky. If I was playing with a friend and they broke a truce there would be serious consequences.

krusher wrote:I was a former conqueror but sadly these hypocrits refuse to award me the medal since I was busted fo SD. :lol:

Well, live and learn eh? If you became conqueror again would you get the medal this time around(assuming you didn't use SD)? If so, it's never too late. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby krusher on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
krusher wrote:
krusher wrote:I was a former conqueror but sadly these hypocrits refuse to award me the medal since I was busted fo SD. :lol:

Well, live and learn eh? If you became conqueror again would you get the medal this time around(assuming you didn't use SD)? If so, it's never too late. :D

Yeah I would BUT becoming conqueror is very stressful, virtually impossible if you don't use some sort of cheap tactic or questionable bending of the rules to your advantage. When you get to a certain rank (above the medium average) theres no way to maintain it or go any further unless you win win win... and with a high rank you become a magnet for players who just want to suicide on you for the hell of it. It than becomes in your best interest to avoid larger public games where random players are in, which leaves you with singles and team games. Even though you might win 3 or maybe 4 games in a row theres always those times that you just can't get any luck with your dice so you lose one game and your back to where you started... you lose another game and you have to win 4 more to regain those points you lost. There is much stress to maintain your rank which is why so many ex-conquerors have been busted. I really don't have any ambitions to become conqueror or obtain a high rank, I just want to play and most importantly role play which is why I consider diplomacy so crucial. As a conqueror/high ranking player you just think about odds, numbers, and points its the only way to stay on top, which to me is not appealing.
Captain krusher

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 am

krusher wrote:Yeah I would BUT becoming conqueror is very stressful, virtually impossible if you don't use some sort of cheap tactic or questionable bending of the rules to your advantage. When you get to a certain rank (above the medium average) theres no way to maintain it or go any further unless you win win win... and with a high rank you become a magnet for players who just want to suicide on you for the hell of it. It than becomes in your best interest to avoid larger public games where random players are in, which leaves you with singles and team games. Even though you might win 3 or maybe 4 games in a row theres always those times that you just can't get any luck with your dice so you lose one game and your back to where you started... you lose another game and you have to win 4 more to regain those points you lost. There is much stress to maintain your rank which is why so many ex-conquerors have been busted. I really don't have any ambitions to become conqueror or obtain a high rank, I just want to play and most importantly role play which is why I consider diplomacy so crucial. As a conqueror/high ranking player you just think about odds, numbers, and points its the only way to stay on top, which to me is not appealing.

Very refreshing to hear such open/honest insights to what it's like to be at the top. It makes me feel more compassionate towards conquerors in general, those busted included. Thx. =D>
Colonel Funkyterrance

Return to Conquer Club Discussion