Conquer Club

Lisbon Metro [08/3] V4 pg3/3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Lisbon Metro [08/3] V4 pg3/3

Postby Armandolas on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:43 am

Map Name:Lisbon Metro 2030
Mapmaker(s):Me & a XML volunteer
Number of Territories:66
Special Features:: Victory achieved for holding 1 metro line for 1 round
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:No Lisbon or metro maps

Hello everyone
This is my first attempt to create a map to CC

This is a simple map, in some ways similar to route 66, where the win objective is to hold the route. Here you have a bit more options and connections.
Its based on the real life metro of Lisbon, but ive added a few stations and connections that would/could be build in the future
My idea is that all connection stations and Bus/Ferry station beggin as neutrals, so in a 1vs1 game each player starts with 25 territs each.
No bonus for territories count
I hope you like it, and if you do, please comment.If you dont you can comment too.

Map Image:Image

Click image to enlarge.

show: Previous Large Versions
Last edited by Armandolas on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Colonel Armandolas

Re: Metro Lisboa 2030

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Hello - Welcome to CC and the Foundry ;-)

You should find some useful information in the [Official] Conquer Club Mapmaker Handbook
If you still have questions after browsing those topics, feel free to ask any specific questions in the Foundry Discussions subforum - you should find people eager to help and give any advice in there.

Cheers,

koontz1973

Can I ask you where you got the background image. I only ask as we cannot make maps that have copyrighted material on them. If this is copyrighted or anything for that matter, you will need to get permission. Also, what about any logos or icons you have?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello.
Background is from google maps.
I was trying to understand in google's terms and condidtions, but i did not clarified it yet.
The icons are not mine, but im sure i can replace them with licensed material or make them on my own.
The logo is from the actual Metro Company, and will be replaced by something else, i just want to fill that square with something illustrative
The shield in the left bottom cornor is the city shield wich im pretty sure i can use
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm

The city shield I would say you can use, the rest you probably will not. Google is copyrighted up to the hilt. Most Metro symbols are but check.

As you cannot use the background, why not simple draw it. You now have the template to work from.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 am

Moved to ideas till copyright can be sorted out.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Lisbon Metro 2030

Postby Armandolas on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Updated
Copyright issues sorted
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 am

Now that is sorted out, what sort of background are you figuring to go with? A simple city background like Copenhagen or a more complex one like Charleston. Either way would look nice but it all comes down to what you are capable of. One way forward would be to go Rail Asia and give each part of the city a different looking station depending on what is there. Make each station or at the very least the lines different in looks with another version for the connection stations. The every 3 stations on the same line, this will be a no from game play side of things as players will all start with different troops. You have 2 options here,
change the bonus to say 3 connecting stations (like route 66) and place in a lot of neutrals
or
When you have the city in, you can go the normal bonus way (hold all stations in a bonus region for +3). This would give a familiar feel to the map whilst giving something different to players.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 am

I like the suggestion about the 3 connection stations instead of only 3 stations, actually, that was my idea, just didnt mentioned it properly.

What do you mean with this? "Make each station or at the very least the lines different in looks with another version for the connection stations"
If it is what i think ,i can add a stroke around the connection station circle "Northwest Passage Map style"
If its not this(please reexplain)

To see if i understood, your last ideia is:
After the city background is made and "divided by areas/regions, and then add a bonus for number of stations inside that region, is that it?
If it is, it might be a good idea, im just afraid it will only add more graphical confusion to the map.
But i will check what pops up in my limited creativity

Thanks for opinions
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 am

What I meant about making the stations look different is this:
Blue line looks one way, yellow lines looks different. If you look at Rail Asia, you will see the different bonus zones have a different looking station. This will allow players to easily identify stations along a line.

And yes, when you have drawn the city and placed it into bonus zones, like a normal map, all of the stations in that zone become a part of a bonus. I believe this is the right map:
So every station that is in Alenquer is part of a bonus. Hold all of those stations for a +2 bonus. Have this on top of the +1 for 3 connecting stations.

Lastly, I know you are at the start of this and as any normal person, you love your city, but what is it about this that you think makes it unique. What is it that you are hoping for it to look like at the end?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks for input

I understand the ideia of rail asia, but i prefer the Northwest Passage(its a CC map) style because the connection stations belongs to both lines, but i can test it both ways to see what looks better to the eye.
I also believe that the most part of rail maps in CC are only suitable and enjoyable for players who play with BOB, and a lot of people dont even know what it is. If u dont use BOB, its just a mess to the eye, and u spend hours finding the right connection.
Here you have 4 distinct lines/colours(in rail asia u have colours too, but they are almost all from the same colour group, so it adds confusion)

About the city regions and and holding stations inside that region for bonus, i like that ideia.
Actually thats not the map you posted, its only the bottom right region called Lisboa.But the idea is just that. :)

What i think it makes it unique is that there are no Metro maps in more than 100 maps. Toogether with that, your idea of having bonus for stations within a region, makes it original, at least less common.
Apart from that and loving my city , Lisbon does not have any map in CC.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby sannemanrobinson on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am

The draft looks allready very good. Some coast line will be needed and more distinctive bus and taxi lines. Boats, busses and taxis need names as well. Why not go for a typical metro feel like Paris Metropolitain and London?
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Armandolas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 am

Hello sannemanrobinson, thanks for suggestins

I will add names to Bus, Taxi and Ferry stations soon
Those stations are just intended to be a connection, so that metro station dont get really far from eachother. Cnat you see those lines properly or you just want more of them to connect some other stations?
What do you mean by a typical metro feel?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby sannemanrobinson on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am

With a metro feel I mean more orthogonal directions such as this:
Click image to enlarge.

More natural directions can works as well, its just an idea. For the other lines I had thin black lines in mind to contast with the thick colored lines. here they use grey for trains.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Armandolas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:38 pm

@sannemanrobinson - i understand now what u meant with metro feel ;)
Thats a good alternative. Actually...i like the design just as it shows in your pic.
I could even think of include a ferry and a couple of train lines train lines , extending the map a bit, crossing the river. That could be a completely different game play with a starting drop in each of the corners(for ex.Amadora este,Cascais,Sintra,Odivelas, Azambuja, Faro/setubal, etc). Assuming that exists 4 metro lines, 3 train lines and 1 ferry line in the Metropolitan Area of Lisbon, that could a developing ideia for 8 drop points for 8 players. That dropping point could be the base and only attacked by a few "main stations" with lots of neutrals.
Well, maybe im just dreaming but i like to play Lunar war and that kind of gameplay. :)

About the actual draft. Ive made a few changes for you guys to compare the differences.Check it out:

Click image to enlarge.

And this could be the kind of Regions division(not exactly this choice of colours, or instead of colours just different backgrounds, or ever coloures+background)
What do u guys think about bus,ferrys and taxis being neutrals, or not?

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 am

Why the circles even though I do like it. Very different and could work with an outline of the city. The ferries need to be in water so make that blue. Does Alcantara and Cais Sodre have ferry terminals? If so, give these type of regions 2, one for the metro and one for the ferry with no bonus. The buses and taxies reverting to one neutral makes sense and can keep that.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:38 am

Hello Koontz
Did you ever notice in a metro map, that de mores you leave the city center the more you pay for the ticket?
Well normally this is represented like this in circle zones.Thats how i got the idea.
Why do you ask about alcantara and cais do sodre?Are you talking about the neutrals, is that it?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:27 am

The metro map zones looks wonderful, but I remember the first draft had a city shape to it. Having that city shape cutting of the zones in places would make it better.

As for the ferries, I was just wondering if the connections where true to life. If so, giving the ports a name would be nice as well. So when you get to the end of the line, you have to capture the port and then the ferry.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am

i Drew the river line now and ive abandoned the idea of having a real or underlined map on the background, it does not make sense since i want to focus on the metro lines.
Anyway i can draw a few straight subdivisions in those circle zones so i can grab your idea about having "X" stations inside an area for a bonus.

As for your ferries sugestion. Alcantara does not have a ferry station in real life, but as this map is in 2030 i can have anything i want :)
I think understand your idea about getting the station after the metro line(something like towns in baltic crusade?).Its a nice idea, but i dont want to overload the map it with more graphics, so it does not get more confusing.
Anyway i can try to think a solution for that

Ive updated the OP
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Armandolas, a couple of admin things for you.

Title, needs to be changed to this.
Title of map - date of last update - version number - page of last update.
for you this will be
Lisbon Metro 2030 [29/1] V3 pg1/2

Secondly, when you post an update, put the old versions into [url][/url] tags and into a
show
tag. Post the new version in opening post and also into a new post with all changes done to the map. This will allow players to find the versions easier and comment on older versions as well.

As far as the new version, I am starting to like this one a lot. Keep up the good work.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Secondly, when you post an update, put the old versions into [url][/url] tags and into a spoiler tag, like below:
Code: Select all
[spoiler=Previous Large Versions][url]url of map[/url][/spoiler]

In this way it will show up like this:
show: Previous Large Versions

Koontz post corrected here! ;) O:)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Armandolas on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am

thanks for the infos.
Ill resume the map in a few days. Ive changed home this week, so no time for that now..
Next week ill make the necessary changes

-What u guys think about public transportation connections?
Like it White, Black or none?
-How many Neuts shoould be in those stations?
1/2/3 or none?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 am

Armandolas wrote:-What u guys think about public transportation connections?
Like it White, Black or none?

Like you said public transportation is needed to avoid long chains of metro stations. What I would try is black lines.
Armandolas wrote:-How many Neuts shoould be in those stations?
1/2/3 or none?

Revert to neutral 1 is of course an option to encourage using them. Why neutrals and not normal territories? Only if they autodeploy +1, a starting neutral of 3 might make sense. Or think of other bonuses to connect the metro lines with public transportation lines. Holding all three busses for +2 or two ferries for +1?
Major sannemanrobinson

Re: Lisbon Metro [14/2] V3 pg2/2

Postby Armandolas on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am

Hello
Once again, thanks for input given

Ive made a few changes and get the connections done
I ve decided that Public transportation and conection metro station will start neut, but once u get them they will not revert to neutral.

Im thinking about an alternative bonus to make things even more diverse. Apart for the 3 same line conected stations bonus, ive divided the map in 4 separate circles/zones, so the ideia is , if you control "X" territs in that zone you will get "X" Bonus.

Graphically i think it looks cool and i dont want to overload it any more , so it does not get confusing

I hope you like it, and feel free to comment on what you like and dislike
Cheers

Map Image:Image

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm

It still looks cool indeed. The public transportation style is okay I think. Maybe the grey line thickness could be a bit less to make them less prominent. How many neutrals do you have in mind?

The idea with a bonus for an amount of regions in a zone is not visible in the legend yet. Using zones is not really neccesairy. And other options are to bombard neignouring zones or to attack any region in the same zone.

Something to keep in mind is to have enough distance between army circles. Trying to put 888 number in the real size can show if it fits.

The legend does not need the coloured lines and might be a bit bigger.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Armandolas on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 pm

sannemanrobinson wrote:It still looks cool indeed. The public transportation style is okay I think. Maybe the grey line thickness could be a bit less to make them less prominent. How many neutrals do you have in mind?

The idea with a bonus for an amount of regions in a zone is not visible in the legend yet. Using zones is not really neccesairy. And other options are to bombard neignouring zones or to attack any region in the same zone.

Something to keep in mind is to have enough distance between army circles. Trying to put 888 number in the real size can show if it fits.

The legend does not need the coloured lines and might be a bit bigger.

I will get the numbers and reduce the thickness of grey lines, to see how it works.

I had in mind 3 or 5 Neutrals for pub transp and connection stations.

About the zones , the option of attacking territories in the same zone, i dont like it because it would ruin the feeling of travelling in a Metro, where u can only go from station to station.
Also i didnt put that bonus in the legend because it was just an ideia, not sure if it would add something nice to gameplay
About the bombardments maybe it would work if it was only between connection stations, and only from the same color(ex. connection station green/blue can bombard any connection stations with one of those colours)
Colonel Armandolas

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas