Conquer Club

Taking Your First Turn

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Taking Your First Turn

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm

I just played a speed game where someone thought it was a very bad idea to attack a 3 first round. I have never heard of this before. He continued to suicide on me for the rest of the game. This guy is the only foe on my list.

Does anyone else feel this way? If so, why?

Game 12286479
Captain Gilligan

Re: Taking Your First Turn

Postby Paddy The Cat on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Though I did not see the set up of the map, i would generally consider it a bad idea to hit a 3 in a 5+ player standard esc. game.

First off, it saves everyone armies by waiting to hit a single; you lose less attacking, they lose less defending (or at least one of the two usually).

Secondly, attacking a 3 on turn 1 could reduce a players "spread" on the map. This changes everything, including who they can and cannot kill and who can and cannot kill them. It basically puts them at a disadvantage. Picture if this maxim was universal - the games would be a total crapshoot! If one wishes to get position, one could try asking for players to shuffle first. And there is no need to remove anothers position so early~

Finally, getting a card in round 1 is not vital, and I see that others had not carded that round, so it definately wasn't required. Also, if you were going for a bonus (unless you have a phenominal drop) thats usually just not a very good idea.

Thats my experience anyway, I hope I explained that well.

Cheerio
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby AslanTheKing on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am

Out of 10 games attacking a 3 with 6 in the first round, at least in my gameplay, i realized that i fail at least 7 times,
so, its true, first rd dont attack anything, if not a single troop is around you,

on the other way, that missing spoil from round one, can spoil the game too,

where after i blame myself, why the hell didnt i go for a spoil, thats my natural reaction, after things dont turn out the way we wanted,
there are 1000 ways to find a mistake,

but still , after realising this, me for my part, will never attack anymore anything the first round- except single troops,
its still the dice what screws you, not the strategy and not the tactic, if ure lucky your opponent really makes major mistakes,
than u do have a chance,
still searching for the best strategy, havent found it ( u cant plan the dice outcome) u can maybe minimize your bad dice by attacking safe singles,
but even there i fail to win against singles ( or lose alot of troops against them or bloody neutrals ).
I used to roll the daizz
Feel the fear in my enemy´s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

Long live the Army Of Kings !

AOK

show: AOK Rocks
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

Postby macbone on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 am

Weird, man.

I generally don't attack first round to consolidate forces (it's in the SoC Guide), but there's nothing wrong with it. There's just better things to do the first round, when troops are more important than cards.
Colonel macbone

Postby Gilligan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

I understand where you guys are coming from, but is it really such a big deal to lose 3 armies on the first round?

In the first turn, I had Lagos, Nairobi, and Cape Town - and decided that having Johannesburg would be a nice addition for a nice 4-territory area. Not that I was trying to hold Africa, but it helped maintain a healthy territory count while still being a bit spread out.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Bones2484 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Report him yet for bigotry?
Major Bones2484

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm

I like to have one card more than the other players (ie. being the only one to attack in round 1) in escalating games.

But it totally depends on the circumstances.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby kentington on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Bones2484 wrote:Report him yet for bigotry?

Reported. No worries.

I had the same feeling as Gilligan. Attack first round. I thought we always wanted that card. But in a recent tournament I am finding it may have been more than detrimental to have attacked.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Meh, I've suicided for less.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Gilligan is not GeneralRisk. :lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gilligan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:

Gilligan is not GeneralRisk. :lol:

True story
Captain Gilligan

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

It's generally a bad idea to attack a 3-stack in multiplayer escalating, and generally a bad idea to attack anything first round, but like any generalizations it has it's limitations, and there are certainly exceptions. For someone to lose his cool over it is a gross over-reaction.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TeeGee on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 am

For years, I always attacked from the start,,, but have lately adopted the build round 1 strategy and my score is slowly going back up.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Koganosi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:56 am

Depends, gilligan named an option that I would do it. Take the full SA bonus if I hold 3 of the 4 terro's, lets be a bonus monkey then. But generally I dont atack a 3 in teh first round of a 6+ escalating player game. Just caus it can lose you alot and I rather go for position on the map and w8 untill I can atack a 1.

Urs

Koganosi

ps: Its also a guideline thingie in the SOC rule, atleast what they teach students.
Major Koganosi

Postby wreckead on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

I for one like to have a card in the bank especially on flat rate, esc not so important. Yes if you get took first round with only a few territories it hurts especially if for no tactical reason, and i have been guilty of raging at peeps for this when there was no reason, but i feel sometimes there is reason. Sometimes it plays against you sometimes it works in your favor its a lottery. I love it when someone tries to attack me and fails leaving me with some easy meat, so why cry if it goes against you.

Come on guys it is when all said and done a war, and eventually all but one will die anyway.
Colonel wreckead

Return to Conquer Club Discussion