Allow Users to Choose Nicknames

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Allow Users to Choose Nicknames

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am

Concise description:
  • The part below a username is what I call a "nickname" e.g. Admin

Specifics/Details:
  • A nice Premium Perk would be for us to be allowed to choose our own nicknames
  • Mafiascum has a public nomination for other players nicknames, a system like that could work here

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • People won't have to worry as much about their terrible usernames.
  • Tournaments could offer a new perk: nickname
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: Allow Users to Choose Nicknames

Postby silversun6 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Concise description:

Specifics/Details:
  • Mafiascum has a public nomination for other players nicknames, a system like that could work here

+1
Colonel silversun6

Postby Swifte on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am

Would you restrict users from picking a nickname like "Site Administrator?"
Colonel Swifte

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

Sure.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby kentington on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 pm

To be clear things that would not be appropriate for Usernames would still be considered inappropro right?
Sounds pretty cool. A good incentive to purchase premium as well.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby The Voice on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm

I like it. I'll take "The Voice sucks" just so no one else can use it. That'll show 'em. Muhahah!
Major The Voice

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Specifics/Details:

Just a question, at the end you say Tournies can offer a new perk:nickname... How does tournaments offer the nickname? Did you mean to say Premium?

I would like to have nicknames that'd be cool :)
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am

iamkoolerthanu wrote:

Specifics/Details:

Just a question, at the end you say Tournies can offer a new perk:nickname... How does tournaments offer the nickname? Did you mean to say Premium?

I would like to have nicknames that'd be cool :)

Well, the way mafiascum does nicknames is that a certain team of volunteers assigns them, based on requests by the community. If that was the case, rather than just the willy-nilly free-for-all of everyone pick your own nickname, they could also be assigned by tourney victory.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby kentington on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Or even clans could have their clan name in there. That type of stuff. Special awards or Yoshi Nominations.
Sergeant kentington

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

I see

I like this idea, I can't decide whether I like just anyone being able to have a nickname, or just winners of certain tournies, or any tourny winner... Not sure but I am sure that I'd like to see some form of this
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby jsnyder748 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

The Voice wrote:I like it. I'll take "The Voice sucks" just so no one else can use it. That'll show 'em. Muhahah!

Ill take "The Voice Sucks" just so i can use it mwahahaha
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

Ok, so I guess submitted? This is a really cheap way to make users have more fun, I know it is already encoded in the php, we just need to activate the feature somehow. I volunteer to be one of the volunteers if we go that route.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Ok, so I guess submitted? This is a really cheap way to make users have more fun, I know it is already encoded in the php, we just need to activate the feature somehow. I volunteer to be one of the volunteers if we go that route.

While I think this would be fun, I think a few more parameters probably need set before it's submitted. What's allowed? What is not allowed?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 pm

chapcrap wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Ok, so I guess submitted? This is a really cheap way to make users have more fun, I know it is already encoded in the php, we just need to activate the feature somehow. I volunteer to be one of the volunteers if we go that route.

While I think this would be fun, I think a few more parameters probably need set before it's submitted. What's allowed? What is not allowed?

Anything that's not allowed as a username, and anything that contains any false iteration of "moderator, administrator, etc.". I like the idea of a volunteer who takes requests and bestows them, that will keep C+A involvement to an absolute minimum.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 am

I look forward to the day when I can proudly bear the title, "Official Dickhead."
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I look forward to the day when I can proudly bear the title, "Official Dickhead."

I thought you would choose "Defender of the People" ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=184580&start=30#p4047230

DoomYoshi wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Anything that's not allowed as a username, and anything that contains any false iteration of "moderator, administrator, etc.". I like the idea of a volunteer who takes requests and bestows them, that will keep C+A involvement to an absolute minimum.

What about using other's usernames in your nickname? That can get some flaming/baiting issues going.

Also, I don't see them creating a dedicated volunteer for this either. There are a lot of people on the site and everyone already has a username. Creating an additional title/nickname is something I think would be fun, but I haven't seen a feasible way to implement it yet.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby kentington on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 am

chapcrap wrote:What about using other's usernames in your nickname? That can get some flaming/baiting issues going.

Easy. Don't allow it. Even if they are dating or have some weird connection and both are okay with it. Abstain.

chapcrap wrote:Also, I don't see them creating a dedicated volunteer for this either. There are a lot of people on the site and everyone already has a username. Creating an additional title/nickname is something I think would be fun, but I haven't seen a feasible way to implement it yet.

I think the only way, would be to implement a report form or an e-ticket that would allow a global or a specific mod group to either clear or reject said nickname. Going through a nickname e-ticket would make sure that they only got to change their nickname once a year, unless a tourney win or something. This would keep the mod from having to continually clear people who want to change their name daily.
Sergeant kentington

Postby agentcom on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:34 pm

I really don't see the benefit of this. It wouldn't replace your username in forum posts and games, right? This definitely won't replace your username in the forum or in games. CC doesn't allow username changes because it doesn't want people to be able to do unpopular things and then hope people don't associate them with a new username.

So, everyone who gets one would get a little "title" like the moderators have ... Why? I wouldn't want these nicknames next to the player names in games cluttering up the screen, so it would just be in the forum and profile that this would appear (just like moderator positions). In that case ... again, Why? You already have lots of options to customize what your posts and profile look like with avatars and signatures. If you really want a new nickname, couldn't you just plaster "Call me Defender of the People" all over your avi and sig?

Or is it just that it looks more "official" when it's there below your name like the mod positions are? That seems like quite a small benefit for a suggestion. Granted, I'm not sure that it would be very hard at all to make this happen--it already is in place for moderators. But someone has to issue the nicknames and every once in a while C&A will have to step in and change them. And we'll have to have an additional list of banned nicknames that are misleading (like "admin"). I'm not saying that's a lot of work, but to me, this suggestion isn't really worth much work at all.

But maybe that's because I already have a "nickname" there :)
Colonel agentcom

Postby greenoaks on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 pm

i was going to say what agentcom said. he said it far better than i could but i'll give it a shot anyway.

we have a nickname, mine is greenoaks. g'day.

the field you are referring to is a title. they are bestowed by admin. choosing your own title will devalue the ones already given and only confuses us as to who are the real volunteers.

i vote NO to this suggestion.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 am

chapcrap wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I look forward to the day when I can proudly bear the title, "Official Dickhead."

I thought you would choose "Defender of the People" ... https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p4047230

Haha, that title is reserved for grandstanding, but "Official Dickhead"--that will serve me well.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be "a feasible way to implement it yet."

kentington wrote:
I think the only way, would be to implement a report form or an e-ticket that would allow a global or a specific mod group to either clear or reject said nickname. Going through a nickname e-ticket would make sure that they only got to change their nickname once a year, unless a tourney win or something. This would keep the mod from having to continually clear people who want to change their name daily.

Although I like the suggestion, this method of implementation would seem cumbersome. If trustworthy and competent volunteers could be supplied, then this could hasten the process... but why go through all of this?

(1) Shall custom titles only remain special?
The tournament name change plan sounds good, but if anyone can simply change their title, then the customizable title wouldn't seem as special. Nevertheless, I have a possible solution:

A customizable title would have more significance if the right to a title change was restricted--e.g. through tournaments only, or perhaps a kind of ceremony (For example, if one becomes a conqueror, then one has the right to the title, "Former Conqueror"). If there is no such ceremony/tournament, then title-changing seems... kinda silly.

I like "shaking out the sillies," but at what cost? What would be the future price/value of customizable titles, and would the price justify the costs of implementation and enforcement?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 am

chapcrap wrote:

I thought you would choose "Defender of the People" ... https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p4047230

DoomYoshi wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

What about using other's usernames in your nickname? That can get some flaming/baiting issues going.

Also, I don't see them creating a dedicated volunteer for this either. There are a lot of people on the site and everyone already has a username. Creating an additional title/nickname is something I think would be fun, but I haven't seen a feasible way to implement it yet.

What do you mean feasible? phpBB has it as part of the options, some admin just has to allow the feature. It is already implemented because you already have the nickname "Tournament Director"
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

All I know is that mafiascum has been doing this for years, and it creates a vibrant part of the community there. You can check out their naming forum to see how it works. They have a single volunteer who bestows nicknames, except there is a subforum in which you can nominate other players for a nickname. Once a nickname is nominated and seconded by a few other players, the nickname fairy comes along once a month and bestows the queue. As an additional feature, we could have them awarded for tournament or contests. I can imagine special ones, like the first person to win 2 conquer Cup gets the title "1 guy 2 cups".

By the way, my username is not my nickname. DoomYoshi is an independent person. It is an entire webpersona who lives, breathes and thinks. I wanted to sue Google for attempted manslaughter because they offered to change my YouTube username from DoomYoshi to my real name. Why do they want to kill DoomYoshi? Isn't he a valuable addition to the internet? [/aside]
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

I thought you would choose "Defender of the People" ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=184580&start=30#p4047230

DoomYoshi wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

What do you mean feasible? phpBB has it as part of the options, some admin just has to allow the feature. It is already implemented because you already have the nickname "Tournament Director"

What I mean by feasible is a way to do it without creating a great burden on a volunteer or volunteer group. So, having the approved by someone is out, IMO.

However, I really can't argue against letting someone edit their own title (that's what it is really, not a nickname). I can't argue against it, because it's really no different than editing an avatar or signature. So, if that could be implemented, I wouldn't really have a problem with that.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 pm

If you guys can figure out how to make this work without too much abuse/confusion I'm all for it.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby nicestash on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Alright, I see 2 problems and 2 solutions

1) P1: Lack of volunteers/time of volunteers
S1: DoomYoshi has volunteered to go through and approve the nicknames

2) P2: Creates confusion
S2: Put all nicknames in brackets ex:"Official Dickhead"

As for the interaction between tournament wins and nicknames, simply allow a player to change their nickname to that tourny's name: ex: "Winner of Rev's 27th Random Singles Trench". As for legitimacy, if we already have volunteers going through and checking names, they could screen players and only let them take tournament names if they've actually won that tournament.
Major nicestash

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions