Conquer Club

Waiting Games Modified

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Waiting Games Modified

Postby patrickaa317 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 am

How long has it been that when you have a filter on waiting games, all games with full invites are hidden? This is an awesome update and would make running tourneys a little bit easier.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Re: Waiting Games Modified

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 am

This was just launched on the site over the last couple of days, and will be officially announced shortly. I'm glad you enjoy it :)
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

I've seen this feature for the longest time. :-s
Captain Gilligan

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

Gilligan wrote:I've seen this feature for the longest time. :-s

Clairvoyant? :mrgreen:
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:18 am

Except the games disappear after you invite two players--makes it confusing when trying to invite same players to multiple games because you can't see how many invites you have sent out until the game starts
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Gilligan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 am

iamkoolerthanu wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I've seen this feature for the longest time. :-s

Clairvoyant? :mrgreen:

"Game xxxxxx is fully reserved"
Captain Gilligan

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Metsfanmax wrote:This was just launched on the site over the last couple of days, and will be officially announced shortly. I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Sort of surprised it has not been announced. Why launch something and not announce it. Any sort of news like this must be welcome news for a lot of us. Some of us will bitch though. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:Except the games disappear after you invite two players--makes it confusing when trying to invite same players to multiple games because you can't see how many invites you have sent out until the game starts

Yeah there is that. I guess that's where game labels come into play; or inviting 'player 1' to all games first, then going back through and matching up 'player 2' as need be.

I still think the pros outweigh the cons for this one.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby greenoaks on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 am

patrickaa317 wrote:How long has it been that when you have a filter on waiting games, all games with full invites are hidden? This is an awesome update and would make running tourneys a little bit easier.

it is a stupid update.

now i can't tell who i've invited to Best At Beta tournaments
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:41 pm

greenoaks wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:How long has it been that when you have a filter on waiting games, all games with full invites are hidden? This is an awesome update and would make running tourneys a little bit easier.

it is a stupid update.

How do you initially decide who to invite to what games? I always have an external list i reference when creating tourneys. You've definitely got me beat on running tourneys but do you rely solely on the waiting games screen for organizational purposes?
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

it is a stupid update.

How do you initially decide who to invite to what games? I always have an external list i reference when creating tourneys. You've definitely got me beat on running tourneys but do you rely solely on the waiting games screen for organizational purposes?

No, but you need it to verify.

I have a situation right now, in a tournament I updated earlier today. A guy swears he didn't get an invite. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Since I can't see the game, I can't go check. Maybe I typed his name wrong and accidentally invited a user with a similar name. Usually when that happens, the user-with-a-similar-name has long since left the site and the invite will expire, but I remember at least one occasion when that happened and the user-with-a-similar-name accepted the invites, and it was a big scramble to clean up.

But the horrible thing is that all I can do is sit here and wonder. Being unable to see those games, I can't check and see what (if anything) I did wrong.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

it is a stupid update.

i have a spreadsheet that i copy/paste from. but as i am creating 64 games at a time i dont always get through all the invites in one sitting. also it is a reference thing, being able to see where i am at. or to be able to see that i have the right settings - i sometimes slip up with wrong map or not nukes etc.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby therev1957 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:52 am

when I set up a game in the tournament I post who is playing who with the game numbers and I also put them on follow so I can check the games I also use the game tag so I can just click on it and go to the game...never had a problem in my 54 tournaments
Lieutenant therev1957
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 am

therev1957 wrote:when I set up a game in the tournament I post who is playing who with the game numbers and I also put them on follow so I can check the games I also use the game tag so I can just click on it and go to the game...never had a problem in my 54 tournaments

Yeah, I do all that too. But the game tag still goes through Game Finder so under the new system it still won't show you a game that has invites sent which haven't been accepted. Try it.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby cookie0117 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:26 am

Use the watch this game script (if you use FF), you can add games to it when you make them and it will be in there sshowing who has and who has yet to except their invite
Private cookie0117

Postby greenoaks on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am

cookie0117 wrote:Use the watch this game script (if you use FF), you can add games to it when you make them and it will be in there sshowing who has and who has yet to except their invite

i let my employer know you recommend downloading firefox to replace their IE (and all the functions they have running off it) so i can download an addon to see games i was able to see 1 week ago.

revolution my ass.

same old same old.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 am

cookie0117 wrote:Use the watch this game script (if you use FF), you can add games to it when you make them and it will be in there sshowing who has and who has yet to except their invite

Yeah, this has been suggested.

First off, just in principle, you shouldn't have to use an add-on to fix something that's been broken by the site.

Second, I'm on the road, using my laptop. I don't keep WTG on my laptop because it really slows things down. Don't know if it sucks too much bandwidth or too much memory or what -- I'm not a techie -- but there is a noticeable delay when running WTG, so I do keep it on my home computer but not on my laptop. I drive for a living, so I'm often away from home four or five days at a time, and although the bulk of my tourney updating is done at home, I try to do as much as possible on the road as well. I need to be able to access these games on the road.

Third, I have currently 20 active tournaments. I probably create something like 50 or 60 new games a week, plus of course many that remain active for long periods. It's hard to give an exact number, but there's easily 250 active games right now between my various tournaments. That's a lot of time updating WTG. What's worse, WTG doesn't automatically drop games that finish, so you have to manually go through and drop them afterward or the list will soon become unmanageable. More time lost.

So yeah, your suggestion will probably work for someone who has 3 or 4 tourneys on the go, but for someone with 20 it's just not practical. They need to fix Game Finder. Period.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:11 am

greenoaks wrote:

i let my employer know you recommend downloading firefox to replace their IE (and all the functions they have running off it) so i can download an addon to see games i was able to see 1 week ago.

revolution my ass.

same old same old.

Why does firefox have to replace IE? Can the two not run side by side?
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby therev1957 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
therev1957 wrote:when I set up a game in the tournament I post who is playing who with the game numbers and I also put them on follow so I can check the games I also use the game tag so I can just click on it and go to the game...never had a problem in my 54 tournaments

Yeah, I do all that too. But the game tag still goes through Game Finder so under the new system it still won't show you a game that has invites sent which haven't been accepted. Try it.

But if you have them in watched games they do show up when click Watched
Lieutenant therev1957
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm

therev1957 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

But if you have them in watched games they do show up when click Watched

I answered that question when cookie brought it up:
Dukasaur wrote:Second, I'm on the road, using my laptop. I don't keep WTG on my laptop because it really slows things down. Don't know if it sucks too much bandwidth or too much memory or what -- I'm not a techie -- but there is a noticeable delay when running WTG, so I do keep it on my home computer but not on my laptop. I drive for a living, so I'm often away from home four or five days at a time, and although the bulk of my tourney updating is done at home, I try to do as much as possible on the road as well. I need to be able to access these games on the road.

Anyway, I don't understand why you people are arguing about this so much. Why are you so quick to insist that someone should have to install an add-on to fix something the site broke, instead of insisting that it be fixed. If your pipes are broken, would you call a plumber to fix them, or would you want me to arrive on the scene with a superior tone and say, "you can always grab a pail and walk down to the river to get some water!"?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm

the old Game Finder worked fine.

a check box could have been added to that page for those who don't want to see fully reserved games.

it was not a hard update to make yet completely botched. well done CC =D>
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:30 pm

This is a total mess if you ask me. Just a bad idea. It bothered nobody to see a game fully reserved. Ugh?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Bruceswar wrote:This is a total mess if you ask me. Just a bad idea. It bothered nobody to see a game fully reserved. Ugh?

it bothered a suggestions moderator, blakebowling. so he forced this bullshit on everyone else.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Anatolia on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I know this is an attempt to improve the site, which is always welcome, but I have to say it continues to be a frustration, especially for us trying to run tournaments. Is there a chance we can go back to the way things were until a fully functional new plan can be worked out?
Major Anatolia

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:This is a total mess if you ask me. Just a bad idea. It bothered nobody to see a game fully reserved. Ugh?

it bothered a suggestions moderator, blakebowling. so he forced this bullshit on everyone else.

In all fairness, I see this as being more good than bad. The fact that these games disappear when you have a long list of invites to send will save a lot of scrolling, which will be a big time saver. I also really like the fact that the cursor now starts inside the invite window, instead of having to click in it. Between the not-scrolling and the starting-in-window, it's actually now possible to send invites from start to finish using only your keyboard, and not having to waste time moving over to the mouse at all. That is a big, big, plus. Overall, I think there's a lot more plus than minus in this update.

The one huge problem is that there's no way to go back and check your work, and as HA said in the other thread, it's simply a matter of adding another checkbox for "Invited" in the Game Status "Waiting for Players" "Active" "Finished " row.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion