Conquer Club

the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 am

Mastercard and Visa as well.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 am

So I found the Stork plant where I came from. Explains why I am messed up. As you can see, Globalization made most of the workers leave:
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Quirk on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Image Image

"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
Major Quirk

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 am

So, I wish it was snowing or raining. But it looks pretty uneventful outside today. **Munches on a banana**

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't want to clog the Video Game topic, so I'm going to use this topic for updates to a Grand Strategy PC game I picked up recently:

show: Update 1

show: Update 2

Pretty sure my next plans are, since everything is out in the open about the assassination plot, is to both try to assassinate the king fast with a somewhat haphazard-low chance attempt, and then commit to civil war since my armies are pretty strong, my prestige is up, my coffers are full, and I've been slowly improving relations with the Danes across the sea, in hopes they'll support my effort.

**Munches on a banana while carefully weighing his options.**

--Andy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Maybe an all-out blitz on the King in his stronghold if your close enough? Attack fast, hard, and with ferocity, because you do not want to chance him building up his forces and allies and meeting you on even ground.

But it sounds a lot like Medieval 2 Total War, but with more emphasis on individual characters and politics rather than just war and peace.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Maybe an all-out blitz on the King in his stronghold if your close enough? Attack fast, hard, and with ferocity, because you do not want to chance him building up his forces and allies and meeting you on even ground.

But it sounds a lot like Medieval 2 Total War, but with more emphasis on individual characters and politics rather than just war and peace.

I'll probably try something like this, at least with overwhelming force and speed. He moved his capital from the old capital area (since our original capital is part of the Duchy I rule), to far in the North, so he'll see me coming. But like I mentioned, my coffers are full and I am going to likely hire some Bretons and Irish mercenaries to supplement my Scottish levies.

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I absolutely love Crusader Kings!
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I absolutely love Crusader Kings!

The first or the second? I never played the first, but I've been playing he CK2 and it is pretty rocking.

**Munches on a banana**

Whenever my Scottish game ends, I want to play as a Spanish King, and try to unite the Iberian peninsula under my crown...and fight off the Islamic hordes taking root in the southern peninsula. Or maybe I'll be the Islamic hordes, and try to unite the Iberian peninsula under that crown!

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

The first or the second? I never played the first, but I've been playing he CK2 and it is pretty rocking.

**Munches on a banana**

Whenever my Scottish game ends, I want to play as a Spanish King, and try to unite the Iberian peninsula under my crown...and fight off the Islamic hordes taking root in the southern peninsula. Or maybe I'll be the Islamic hordes, and try to unite the Iberian peninsula under that crown!

--Andy

Take it easy now, you can't do it all :D. Where does the map end? Can you seize land in India for example? Or central Africa?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

The first. Although, the basic concept hasn't changed much since they released CKII.

I played it enough that I've conquered the world as pretty much everyone, although my favourite starting points were Duchy of Poitou, Duchy of Bohemia, and Duchy of Novgorod. I always preferred to start as a Duke rather than taking a Kingdom at the beginning. It lets you get your advisors and your marriages sorted out while you're at a manageable size, before you make a play for overthrowing the king. Starting as the king you pretty much inherit the big mess that your king had historically, and you have to rush into battle with a disloyal Marshal and a dummy as Chancellor and whatnot.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Take it easy now, you can't do it all :D. Where does the map end? Can you seize land in India for example? Or central Africa?

Here is the extent of map. You can zoom down to the county level.

show

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm

You're making me want to play this game badly Andy. I was able to run Skyrim on on highest quality graphics so I know my graphic card will be able to run this game.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Watch for the Banana boat.

Corporal 2dimes

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:You're making me want to play this game badly Andy. I was able to run Skyrim on on highest quality graphics so I know my graphic card will be able to run this game.

Yeah, I run Skyrim on my laptop and this game gives me no issues. Really, watching some Australian dude play it on youtube, and talk about his actions and strategy (or lackthereof), was what sold me. But the sort of roleplaying aspect you can get into is pretty fun and I think that makes more a more in depth game I'll stick to longer. I thought the game might be more like say a Real Time Strategy in terms of roleplaying (I.e. Age of Empires / Star Craft ) ...where I don't get into it, and just play. But it is kind of fun to embody the character you get to be.

Like I mentioned, one of my Kings gave birth to a stuttering, weak, malformed, and ugly (those are all actual "character traits" that affect various attribute in the game essentially) heir, and it was fun turn him into a brilliant strategist who became stronger (and more ruthless) in order to "earn respect" he couldn't otherwise achieved maybe. And it is fun to see an "Ugly" trait passed down the hereditary line. Ha. There is a pretty big sandbox storyline, which is cool.

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Watched a couple vids of it, and thought the RP and political intrigue of this game, combined with the Total War series battle gameplat would be an awesome combo.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Watched a couple vids of it, and thought the RP and political intrigue of this game, combined with the Total War series battle gameplat would be an awesome combo.

░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Quirk on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

BPotW

Image Image

"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
Major Quirk

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I don't want to clog the Video Game topic, so I'm going to use this topic for updates to a Grand Strategy PC game I picked up recently:

show: Update 1

show: Update 2

Pretty sure my next plans are, since everything is out in the open about the assassination plot, is to both try to assassinate the king fast with a somewhat haphazard-low chance attempt, and then commit to civil war since my armies are pretty strong, my prestige is up, my coffers are full, and I've been slowly improving relations with the Danes across the sea, in hopes they'll support my effort.

**Munches on a banana while carefully weighing his options.**

The succession crisis has ended. Macbeth was overthrown by my duke, the ugly and strong Gerlach. He could not withstand my personal levies, in addition to a nice band of Saxon mercenaries I hired as well. Shortly thereafter, my king led an expedition deeper into Ireland. My father claimed Ulster under his crown previously, and I was able to claim 3 additional counties in Ireland, with some gracious help from the Danes who I've been fostering good relations with...so now our kingdom extends to 1/3 or so the island.

Now back on the throne, my wife has been pumping out the children (I think I have 7 children now), and my eldest son is becoming a terrific warrior and steward, so he'll end up being a good king. I gave him some of the newly conquered lands in Ireland. My wife also gave birth to a daughter with a "dwarf" trait, but I've been personally educating her and I am turning her into a brilliant diplomat. I'm not quite up on the strategy for preventing further succession crises, so I married matrilineally off my other sons to go live with another kingdom's court (which isn't a great thing, since they leave my court, and essentially give up their heritage). But at least it will work.

I'm continuing to foster relations with the Frankish and Danish kings, since eventually I'd like to take over the entire British Isles, but England will be the toughest, so hopefully I'll be able to rope in my allies into the eventual battle. I'm also hoping to go on a few crusades soon.

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Couldn't help it. I got the game now too! Haven't played much but I've learned one or two things already.
#1:
Don't proclaim a holy war against pagan tribes unless you want to fight them for years!! I made that misstake and it turned out to be my demise.
I started as Sweden (although by all rights there shouldn't even be a country like that at 1066.) In the beginning I had to fend off my brother in law who proclaimed me a pretender and started a civil war. No doubt he felt encouraged by me catching a mortal disease (can't remember which). Anyway I captured the pagan believing infidel and executed him, all his bannermen layed down their weapons because they were now sworn to my wife who was his sister. She didn't seem to mind me killing him at all actually. So that went well but unfortunately I had early on made the misstake of starting a holy war aginst livonia, or the islands outside of livonia that is. I took the islands swiftly but had to defend them for years from endless attacks. Meanwhile my mortally dangerous disease finally lingered off. Shortly after getting well I cheated on my queen wife with a norwegian princess I had married to my heir son. She later gave birth to a son who would be my sons first born if he had fathered him that is. Luckily the stunted fool thought the son was his and didn't suspect me at all. I also managed to make my Queen wife at the high age of 37 pregnant, with a daughter, which gives me 5 children in total,or 6 if you count the baby I made with the norwegian princess.
The pointless holy war I started had cost me more than I could afford, I raised the taxes but the peasants rebelled in city after city, and I had to recall the few troops I had. That was when I thought, -oh shit and saved and quit the game. Do I need to say it was fun? :D
I'm sort of thinking I should've attacked Iceland instead, If I marry my heir son to a norwegian princess Norway won't stand up for Iceland and the Icelanders can't put up with much of a fight themselves (I hope).
I really don't want to attack either Denmark or Norway because I don't have the numbers, but I need more land, and Iceland is a great outpost to launch attacks on Ireland from. I can't attack the pagans although that's what i would like to do. There's so many regions in finland, balticum and northern modern sweden I would like to take but if I proclaim a holy war on them they join forces. They are very weak by themselves but when they all stand together, they have much more numbers than I do.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:Gili's long post about loving the game.

I'm glad I convinced you, ha. I think Iceland seems to be a natural expansion point for Norway. In my game, it was a Norwegian outpost for quite a while, before it became and independent duchy of Iceland I think.

For the holy wars, I haven't went on any yet, but I have four pieces of information I can pass on:

show

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 am

I've learned more about the game now and it seems I have zero percent chance of taking Iceland unless I hold Norway first. I can attack Norway because I have de jure claims on bohuslän, and norway can attack iceland because they have de jure claim on Iceland. But I'm not planning on attack Norway anytime soon. I'm married to a norwegian princess, who happens to be the oldest child of her father, so there's a small chance I might even inherit Norway through marriage. That would be one hell of a bonus lol. Makes me want to send an assassin into norway and kill her brothers. I just found out I had de jure claims on most of modern sweden. So I can go beserk on those areas. If I want to attack Finland however, I need to proclaim a holy war on finland, that is not something I'm looking forward to.
Denmark have been successful in their holy wars against lithuania, they have more land there than in their homeland. Not sure what I should attack now, the only de jure claims I have is on Norway and I don't really like holy wars. But if I get some holy soldiers who require no pay, I just might :). I've played 12 years now. How many years have you played?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 am

I've been playing for about 100 game years I think. Gerlach, my King who became a Duke and then became a King again, lived until he was about 70, which made his heir pretty angry I think, ha. He reigned for nearly 50 years I think. Unfortunately, the vassals don't quite like his heir, my new king, and they are revolting. But internal revolts are more annoying, since I can usually put them down.

But...Norway took the opportunity to attack me during internal struggles, since they own all of the England, except a piece of land one my Duke's usurped on his own, and they'd like that back. Norway has the third largest army, so I'm getting crushed pretty handedly, even with 2 bands of mercenaries. So I'm probably going to have to surrender the claim and take the prestige hit. This will the first war I've had to surrender in.

On the Bright side, I own half of Ireland.

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 am

My wars have gone well!! The republic of Gotland has expanded my kingdom into Lithuania and I can make de jure claim down there now. Meanwhile one of my dukes usurped a neighboring part of Norway without conflict. The King of Norway hates me of course now but he has too many rebellions to deal with to pose any threat to me, if I attack them I might unifie them and I don't want to do that. Denmark has been claimed by a French prince, this lead to a civil war in Denmark and somehow the King of France is now I jail resulting in a civil war in France for the crown. I have been successfull in two holy wars, the holy war against Karelia and the holy war against Finland. I now own a large chunk of modern finland as well as most of karelia.

The glorious Kingdom of Sweden is expanding rapidly!! I have more than doubled it's initial size.
I think Sweden is one of the easiest places to start from. You know how there's a difficulty meter in the beginning of the game, when you choose where you want to start from. well Sweden was the easiest place I could find, and also the place I most wanted to start from :). Suited me well for a first game.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

Gillipig wrote:The glorious Kingdom of Sweden is expanding rapidly!! I have more than doubled it's initial size.
I think Sweden is one of the easiest places to start from. You know how there's a difficulty meter in the beginning of the game, when you choose where you want to start from. well Sweden was the easiest place I could find, and also the place I most wanted to start from :). Suited me well for a first game.

Haha, mhmm. Scotland was on the easier side of the halfway mark as well.

On a bright note, I baked a chocolate cake for VDay, yesterday. **Munches on a banana**

-Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,