Conquer Club

New "Power Ranking" ???

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New "Power Ranking" ???

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Greetings fellow CC clan members,

Just wondering if there is any interest in a new Power Ranking? (similar to the one Chuuuck used to do)

To be honest Im just bored and I enjoy pouring through numbers and making lists.
I know FD's ranking system has basically become the official ranking used by most clans, but I am interested to see the difference between mathematical rank and perceived rank.

Two questions...

1.Is this being done by anyone else? (I wouldnt want to step on anyones toes)
2.Is there even enough/any interest is this idea to revive it?

If there is enough interest I would be happy to take it on, (maybe make it a semi-annual ranking) send out the PMs to the clan leaders and compile the data.
If not than thats fine too, just bored.....

-jig
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Re: New "Power Ranking" ???

Postby IcePack on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

The CD's were going to do a power ranking top 25, but recently confirmed that they've shelved the project. I think it'd be interesting

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 pm

IcePack wrote:The CD's were going to do a power ranking top 25, but recently confirmed that they've shelved the project. I think it'd be interesting

I would plan on doing ALL clans (what like 60 of them now) with a standard deviation as Chuck did
Thanks for the info tho, I will discuss with them before I (if I) go ahead with this project

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 pm

jigger1986 wrote:
IcePack wrote:The CD's were going to do a power ranking top 25, but recently confirmed that they've shelved the project. I think it'd be interesting

I would plan on doing ALL clans (what like 60 of them now) with a standard deviation as Chuck did
Thanks for the info tho, I will discuss with them before I (if I) go ahead with this project

You should get people who are active in watching the wars to actively rank people every month/week. It could be like NCAA rankings for various sports.

Don't have me do it, because I don't pay enough attention to that, but I think it would be great. :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby BGtheBrain on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby Qwert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:10 am

well i use CL4 ranking for Cl5,and its turn quite good.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Swifte on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 am

I think the heart of the issue has been addressed here.. who really has an unbiased view and enough knowledge to fairly rank every clan?
Colonel Swifte

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby deantursx on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 pm

I think its worth doing! Get each clan leader to do it or something. It'd just be fun to look at.

Highest Score: 3047 - 2/11/13
Major deantursx

Postby nicestash on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Swifte wrote:I think the heart of the issue has been addressed here.. who really has an unbiased view and enough knowledge to fairly rank every clan?

What about every clan has a leader do this? Then, even if everyone is biased, it doesn't matter because everyone will get the same boost from it.
Major nicestash

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 am

nicestash wrote:
Swifte wrote:I think the heart of the issue has been addressed here.. who really has an unbiased view and enough knowledge to fairly rank every clan?

What about every clan has a leader do this? Then, even if everyone is biased, it doesn't matter because everyone will get the same boost from it.

I think it would be better to have 10-15 people. Each clan would have no more than 1 representative, but having every clan isn't really the best, IMO. The reason is because everyone is not informed.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Foxglove on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am

Meh. What's the point of having a system that everyone can acknowledge will be biased? So that whichever clans are more popular can have a higher ranking in a power ranking than a ranking system based on numbers and results? Even if only 10-15 people contribute their biased opinions those opinions are still exactly that - based on gut feelings and truthiness.
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

chapcrap wrote:
nicestash wrote:

I think it would be better to have 10-15 people. Each clan would have no more than 1 representative, but having every clan isn't really the best, IMO. The reason is because everyone is not informed.

Well, when i did the 1 vs 1 challenge and people did a mini power ranking for seedings, i would say a little under half couldn't properly answer / rate the clans. so either reducing it to the top 25 clans rating, or trying to get 50% answers from educated / informed people would probably be more accurate than getting an answer from everybody. as someone else pointed out, a lot of people said "use F400 for our rankings" because they weren't able to do their own.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 am

Foxglove wrote:Meh. What's the point of having a system that everyone can acknowledge will be biased? So that whichever clans are more popular can have a higher ranking in a power ranking than a ranking system based on numbers and results? Even if only 10-15 people contribute their biased opinions those opinions are still exactly that - based on gut feelings and truthiness.

Fox does have a point here, but also we must also agree that numbers cannot tell you all. While the F 400 is good this could be added in as a supplement and a BCS style ranking be done. 75% F 400 and 25% Coaches poll. Stay tuned. The CD's have not totally killed this idea yet.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Qwert on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 am

the big problem with these ranking its how can some clan rank other clan if they never play in clan chalenges? You have clans who dont play with half clans here,and what parameters they need to use in ranking? Guess that some clan are good are not any valid argument for ranking at all.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:37 am

qwert wrote:the big problem with these ranking its how can some clan rank other clan if they never play in clan chalenges? You have clans who dont play with half clans here,and what parameters they need to use in ranking? Guess that some clan are good are not any valid argument for ranking at all.

Simple you can look at who they played and how they played if you have not played them. If you have then you also know.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am

Bruceswar wrote:
Foxglove wrote:Meh. What's the point of having a system that everyone can acknowledge will be biased? So that whichever clans are more popular can have a higher ranking in a power ranking than a ranking system based on numbers and results? Even if only 10-15 people contribute their biased opinions those opinions are still exactly that - based on gut feelings and truthiness.

Fox does have a point here, but also we must also agree that numbers cannot tell you all. While the F 400 is good this could be added in as a supplement and a BCS style ranking be done. 75% F 400 and 25% Coaches poll. Stay tuned. The CD's have not totally killed this idea yet.

Interesting concept

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jigger1986 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am

When I was in the CLA there was talk of a ranking system like Bruce mentioned, I would like to see something like that happen.
As for now it seems there is not enough interest to go ahead with the project, that combined with the complication people brought up I dont think I will be moving ahead of this at this moment.

In the future if this becomes more in demand I will happily do it.

-jig

Postby niMic on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:24 am

I think it would be very interesting to see, while simultaneously admitting that I would be useless in ranking clans myself. I would probably put us first, TOFU second, and then... I don't know. I just have a general, vague idea of which clans I consider the absolute best, which I consider to be "very good", and then the rest.

It would still be interesting to see, mind. Perhaps if clans put some effort into it, delegating the voting responsibility to whoever they think has the best idea about what goes on in the Clan world.
Highest score: 3747
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Will someone get a group together and get this done already?! I nominate jigger1986 to head up the group.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I would help if you need jigger

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jigger1986 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm

I have no problem running this, however the major concern (ie. so many clans, not enough support) it would be very hard.
BG has a good idea with the Coaches Poll, and I would maybe consider merging the two streams and pushing all effort into that idea.

However, if for some reason BG's idea falls through I will bring this back. It really isnt that hard, I would make it as simple as possible, but commitment from at least like 40 clans would be needed. The problem with that is that ranking 1-5 is easy, 6-15 is harder, 16-30 is even harder and 31-60 most people wouldnt attempt.

Return to Clan Archives