Conquer Club

Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Total votes : 0

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 pm

After watching several Quentin Tarantino films, I get the feeling that he's racist.

Is he racist? Or is he just kittens?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Go on..
Corporal 2dimes

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby KoolBak on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Huh....well Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are 2 of my faves....don't have any issues spring to mind with either one AND 2 of the coolest characters in PF were black....

Think yer crazy :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Alls I know about Tarantino is that he generally makes interesting/enjoyable movies and that he has a foot fetish.

Any information besides that just seems excessive, so I'm going with agnostic on this one.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, I dunno. I think he likes to push buttons, and, as an artist, will use means many feel are questionable to achieve whatever end for which he is aiming.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:49 pm

I think you're racist BBS.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=186050
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

I've always thought he just really likes black and asian culture and stuff that Neoteny said, basically. In Pulp Fiction, you'll notice that Bonnie (Q.T.'s character's wife) is black.

I remember an interview where he's questioned (indirectly by Spike Lee, I think) about using "nigger" in pretty much every film, and his obsession with it. He says something along the lines that as a writer he should be able to write the characters how they are, and not be limited because he's white, and that limiting him because he's white is the heart of racism.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm

I think he's fascinated with people who are "different" from himself and while he's doesn't nescessarily paint his broad caricatures in a bad light, this mindset goes hand in hand with racism imho. So in one word I would say: probably.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

That's a good point. Tarantino increasingly tries to compensate for lack of talent with controversial subjects/themes. All his stuff is so cheap and obvious but it caters to the masses and therefore popular and sells.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:That's a good point. Tarantino increasingly tries to compensate for lack of talent with controversial subjects/themes. All his stuff is so cheap and obvious but it caters to the masses and therefore popular and sells.

You really think Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown etc are cheaper and more predictable than all the cookie-cutter, fairy-tale ending, virtually indistinguishable blockbusters hollywood wheels out every year?
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:That's a good point. Tarantino increasingly tries to compensate for lack of talent with controversial subjects/themes. All his stuff is so cheap and obvious but it caters to the masses and therefore popular and sells.

You really think Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown etc are cheaper and more predictable than all the cookie-cutter, fairy-tale ending, virtually indistinguishable blockbusters hollywood wheels out every year?

No, they are obviously a higher quality of movie making than the stuff you are referencing, mostly I believe due to Tarantino's dedication to his craft. He is good visually but so are many of those indistinguishable blockbusters. But in depth yeah, I think his movies more or less average. I mean, do you gauge someone's level of genius by what they choose to work with or by the skill with which they work it?
If Tarantino would focus on his stronger points like cinematography for art's sake(I think he excels at this) and stop trying so hard to be thought-provoking(hes too blatantly obvious to be a success at this) then I would probably like his movies a lot more.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:

No, they are obviously a higher quality of movie making than the stuff you are referencing, mostly I believe due to Tarantino's dedication to his craft. He is good visually but so are many of those indistinguishable blockbusters. But in depth yeah, I think his movies more or less average. I mean, do you gauge someone's level of genius by what they choose to work with or by the skill with which they work it?
If Tarantino would focus on his stronger points like cinematography for art's sake(I think he excels at this) and stop trying so hard to be thought-provoking(hes too blatantly obvious to be a success at this) then I would probably like his movies a lot more.

His movies are but a vehicle for his charicters and NO ONE has better charicters!

Mr Blonde, Vincent Vega, The boxer guy and his nemsis, Bill, Julien, Alto Raine, Hans Lander... Come on funky, you really can't dispute that?
The only one that's come close is George Lucas and he's trying to make family movies so it's different.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Agreed - R - Dogs....P - Fiction....classic, awesome films. We all have opinions....too bad Funky-Tee's is wrong :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby nietzsche on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

WUT????
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

nietzsche wrote:

Get out.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I've always thought he just really likes black and asian culture and stuff that Neoteny said, basically. In Pulp Fiction, you'll notice that Bonnie (Q.T.'s character's wife) is black.

I remember an interview where he's questioned (indirectly by Spike Lee, I think) about using "nigger" in pretty much every film, and his obsession with it. He says something along the lines that as a writer he should be able to write the characters how they are, and not be limited because he's white, and that limiting him because he's white is the heart of racism.

-TG

(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)

Cop out.
I used to watch a f***load of movies and my standard may be higher than the average person but if it looks like cheese and it smells like cheese...

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)

Cop out.
I used to watch a f***load of movies and my standard may be higher than the average person but if it looks like cheese and it smells like cheese...

And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?

Remind me not to come over your house for popcorn& a movie BBS.

Imho most of the better films were made before I was born and the better directors are either washed up or dead. I'm a pretty big Roman Polanski fan but even he has started to lose his touch. Tarantino may look ok when compared to his current peers but his stuff just isn't very enriching or enjoyable imho. To me I suppose his try-hardness overrides anything quality he might try to produce.
I'm sorry but I'm just not capable of altering my taste buds simply because there's nothing but leftovers and pre-packaged shit to choose from.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:And Die Hard 4 was teh best, amirite?

Remind me not to come over your house for popcorn& a movie BBS.

Imho most of the better films were made before I was born and the better directors are either washed up or dead. I'm a pretty big Roman Polanski fan but even he has started to lose his touch. Tarantino may look ok when compared to his current peers but he's just not very interesting imho.
I'm sorry but I'm just not capable of altering my taste buds simply because there's nothing but leftovers and pre-packaged shit to choose from.

If you don't like your leftovers, I suggest starting with a cook book. You'll learn how to improvise with experience.

Perhaps some may be turned off by Tarantino because he tends to "rip-off" (or rather "sample") from older films, which in my opinion, is great--but not everyone likes scratching, turntabling, and all that.

<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby kentington on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.

I could be wrong but I don't think Tarantino shows a single nipple.

Also I'm sort of disappointed he didn't make a rumored movie about the Vega brothers (Vincent from Pulp and Vick from Resevoir). That would've rocked my socks.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby kentington on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 am

Army of GOD wrote:
kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.

I could be wrong but I don't think Tarantino shows a single nipple.

Also I'm sort of disappointed he didn't make a rumored movie about the Vega brothers (Vincent from Pulp and Vick from Resevoir). That would've rocked my socks.

That would be cool. Then I could probably get some jokes and references I have been missing out on.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,