Conquer Club

Are there less players these days?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Are there less players these days?

Postby stoicbird on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

There are almost 40% less players now than there was when I joined.

I used to enjoy reading the forums here but now its like a young liberal party forum. I blame Andy Dufresne for turning this forum into a bland inane place where all views are not allowed. Employing him was CC's biggest mistake.

I doubt the new owners can find a way to reverse or even halt the dwindling numbers created by Andy's sterling work.

The maps should be split up into two sections also. Complex maps and normal play maps which should also create two sections of joining/creating games into join a complex game/join normal play game.

All new recruits should neither win or lose points for their first ten games.

These are the easy steps to making this site a success once again. However, the culture created in the forum by Andy's leadership I doubt can ever be mended.
Last edited by stoicbird on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain stoicbird

Location: bedlam or sitting in the pub staring creepily at ladies

Postby Izual_Rebirth on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 pm

What's the biggest issue exactly?

Not getting enough new comers to visit the site?
Not getting enough new comers to stay once they do visit?
Or is it regulars that have decided to leave?
Cook Izual_Rebirth

Postby jsnyder748 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 am

They have a problem with getting new member to join and stay.

If you look at the clan world it has been around for a very long time with dedicated players. most people who have been good for a long time are still around. (like me I can't seem to let go lol)

you could also argue cc and strategy games are pretty outdated for young people. most would rather play call of duty (guilty!) or smoke pot.

Not much you could do to bring in masses unless they changed the website into what it isn't. Personally I have always liked using my brain more than staring blankly at a screen.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 am

stoicbird wrote:There are almost 40% less players now than there was when I joined.

I used to enjoy reading the forums here but now its like a young liberal party forum. I blame Andy Dufresne for turning this forum into a bland inane place where all views are not allowed. Employing him was CC's biggest mistake.

Would you frequent OT more if we added a few more dictators?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 am

Hello,I know what it's like defending a lost cause(I uphold the Honor of The Old SOUTH).I agree what Mr.Changsha had to say.Right when I joined I was helping people(game 4043055)and defending Honor(game 4189424).I joined freestyle by not looking.I read how to play it as the game was going on.I won one and lost one in my first three games.That shouldn't be that big of a deal.But I have seen a lot of regulars leave.I don't play in clans or partner up,I like going solo.Some people worry only in winning on this site,or Idiotic things like Usernames,and other knitpicking stuff.Instead of just playing for fun.I don't try for medals,they come if you play long enough.The one lesson(in life)to learn is no matter how good you are,there is always some one better than you.As for strategy games outdated.Chess has been around for centuries(there is a reason it lasts).I remember PONG,Atari,Sega..etc.etc..Those never last,there is always something to take it's place.But a Classic is a Classic.Maybe C.C. should be reaching out to the Chess sites,GO(Chineese),Stratego etc.etc...to increase the strategic players pool.ALSO It's the declining of sportsmanship in people today...YOU HAVE TO BE A SPORT TO PLAY ONE...ConfederateSS..out!!!!!!!
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby stoicbird on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
stoicbird wrote:There are almost 40% less players now than there was when I joined.

This is a typical inane post!!! If you're not a liberal you're a dictactor.

He's obviously trying to be humouress but seriously how much can you bother replying to such drivel?
Captain stoicbird

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Now I'm not agreeing with stoicbird's assement necessarily but from how I understood it he's saying that Andy was dictating which views were allowed and which weren't. Those allowed being the liberal ones.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby xeno on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 am

When I first had premium it was five bucks cheaper and speed games had just come out and there were definitely a lot more active players. Those days were probably the peak of this websites existence
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 am

xeno wrote:When I first had premium it was five bucks cheaper and speed games had just come out and there were definitely a lot more active players. Those days were probably the peak of this websites existence

there were also less than a quarter of the maps and no FoW.

games filled fast because of that restriction in choice.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby stoicbird on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 am

greenoaks wrote:
xeno wrote:When I first had premium it was five bucks cheaper and speed games had just come out and there were definitely a lot more active players. Those days were probably the peak of this websites existence

So f.o.w and four times more maps are to blame for a huge reduction in active players? I might agree if you had added the most pointless game option 'trench', which genius thought of such a ridiculous option?

Lets get real people Andy Dufresne strangled the life and soul out of this site!!! How the f*ck can somebody that pretends to be a monkey control a thriving forum?

Maybe the new people should email all the people banned under monkey boy offering them the chance to be unbanned and a clean slate. I'd say membership would increase be 10% within one month.
Captain stoicbird

Postby xeno on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 am

stoicbird wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

So f.o.w and four times more maps are to blame for a huge reduction in active players? I might agree if you had added the most pointless game option 'trench', which genius thought of such a ridiculous option?

Lets get real people Andy Dufresne strangled the life and soul out of this site!!! How the f*ck can somebody that pretends to be a monkey control a thriving forum?

Maybe the new people should email all the people banned under monkey boy offering them the chance to be unbanned and a clean slate. I'd say membership would increase be 10% within one month.
shh he's watching he'll ban you too! Dissent against the great lord is forbidden here
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby macbone on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:47 am

Izuul, try some different maps on different settings. Most of the people joining your 4-player Classic games seem to be New Recruits.
Colonel macbone

Postby premio53 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 am

I doubt the new owners can find a way to reverse or even halt the dwindling numbers created by Andy's sterling work.

The maps should be split up into two sections also. Complex maps and normal play maps which should also create two sections of joining/creating games into join a complex game/join normal play game.

All new recruits should neither win or lose points for their first ten games.

These are the easy steps to making this site a success once again. However, the culture created in the forum by Andy's leadership I doubt can ever be mended.

I believe there were approximately 20,000 players four or five years ago. How many are there currently?
Lieutenant premio53

Postby macbone on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 am

The scoreboard shows 15145 right now.

This thread has been following the numbers on the scoreboard: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=152877&p=4031912&hilit=declining#p4031912 The first post records 17315 active users a year and a half ago.
Colonel macbone

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 am

stoicbird wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

i'm sorry if english is not your native language. let me explain.

i started by saying 'there were also'. that means i offered some additional reasons.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby stoicbird on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

greenoaks wrote:
stoicbird wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

i'm sorry if english is not your native language. let me explain.

i started by saying 'there were also'. that means i offered some additional reasons.

Sorry about that, I forgot about the original post and had moved on to reasons why there are less active players and ways to encourage new arrivals to stay. My bad but yes English is my native language.
Captain stoicbird

Postby KoolBak on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Not sure if its been mentioned, but perhaps you should join a group or a clan - in my 6 years here, I play 99% with my group mates and we always have plenty of games ;o) You also avoid the pain of meeting the multitude of dumbasses in the public pool :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm

I would join a clan or partner up, but I don't want to leave someone to fight alone.Should something happen,as (game chat :game 10210804)(I almost stopped playing).I like being in charge of my troops,I don't want to cost someone else a Victory...As for the public pool.That's where the new people will be,in the public pool.The very thing C.C.Land needs---new people to join.That's how you meet people and make them feel welcome.Not isolated in a clan or just with old friends.....ConfederateSS...out!!!!!!!
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby xeno on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:The very thing C.C.Land needs---new people to join.That's how you meet people and make them feel welcome.Not isolated in a clan or just with old friends.....ConfederateSS...out!!!!!!!

The same could be said about what killed Xbox live. Party chat and clans
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby jsnyder748 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 pm

xeno wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:The very thing C.C.Land needs---new people to join.That's how you meet people and make them feel welcome.Not isolated in a clan or just with old friends.....ConfederateSS...out!!!!!!!

The same could be said about what killed Xbox live. Party chat and clans

When did xbox live die? last time i checked there were millions who play xbox lol
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 am

stoicbird wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

He's obviously trying to be humouress but seriously how much can you bother replying to such drivel?

But you did reply... I'm simply too much dictator for one forum.

So, what's this about AndyDufresne, the CC Forum Butcher and Destroyer of Lost Children?

You and I have been here since 2008, but we've reached different conclusions on what affects the livelihood of the forum. Based on my observations, AndyD has been a mild moderator, but I'm not sure how much he bothered to micromanage his moderators.

Stringent enforcement seems to have been the biggest problem, but that's been relaxed--at least in the OT--thanks to local, non-mod efforts.

In my opinion, people come and go, like waves. You see it at bars, grocery stores, retailers, and so on. Perhaps, some of them have run out of things to say, or maybe they've got more valuable things to do--whatever that may be. The alleged decrease in activity is likely to be beyond CC's control.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby stoicbird on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
stoicbird wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

So, what's this about AndyDufresne, the CC Forum Butcher and Destroyer of Lost Children?

You and I have been here since 2008, but we've reached different conclusions on what affects the livelihood of the forum. Based on my observations, AndyD has been a mild moderator, but I'm not sure how much he bothered to micromanage his moderators.

Stringent enforcement seems to have been the biggest problem, but that's been relaxed--at least in the OT--thanks to local, non-mod efforts.

In my opinion, people come and go, like waves. You see it at bars, grocery stores, retailers, and so on. Perhaps, some of them have run out of things to say, or maybe they've got more valuable things to do--whatever that may be. The alleged decrease in activity is likely to be beyond CC's control.

The different conclusions we've reached are due to our different views we have on the politics. Andy dufresne has turned a world domination based game site into a Walt Disney forum. Cute for kids absolutely bland for adults.
Captain stoicbird

Postby AslanTheKing on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 pm

hey xenon, glad to see u have a premium account now, did u stop smoking pot?

no seriously, thumbs up for your investment, now next step is to have a new goal,

do you have a car?
I used to roll the daizz
Feel the fear in my enemy´s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

Long live the Army Of Kings !

AOK

show: AOK Rocks
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

stoicbird wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
stoicbird wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

The different conclusions we've reached are due to our different views we have on the politics. Andy dufresne has turned a world domination based game site into a Walt Disney forum. Cute for kids absolutely bland for adults.

Ah, I remember you:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=180364&p=3944420#p3944420

You constantly perceive that people are attacking (welfare) liberalism--even though they aren't. It's not a useful approach because it leads you into misunderstanding what the very topic is. Hopefully, you can stop narrowing so many topics into attacks against being 'liberal'.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby greenoaks on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 am

stoicbird wrote:The different conclusions we've reached are due to our different views we have on the politics. Andy dufresne has turned a world domination based game site into a Walt Disney forum. Cute for kids absolutely bland for adults.

it is not just the forums. there are to many people running to C&A to report people for calling them a bad name, or reporting people for comments made in games they aren't in.

we use to say 'suck it up cupcake, this is a wargame'. then it was 'FAMO'. now the 'offender' gets banned.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion