Conquer Club

Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Total votes : 0

Re: Is Quentin Tarantino racist?

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

Watch all of his movies (that he directed) but Death Proof and Four Rooms. Everyone should watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction at least once.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby nietzsche on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 am

kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.
Are any of them clean? By that I mean no nudity?
Language doesn't bother, although I love the way French sounds.

Pulp Fiction is a classic. I cannot believe you haven't seen it.

I ask for kentington to be removed of his moderator duties until he has watched it.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?

My level of appreciation for Roman Polanski's films is not merely based on their subtlety and moving nature but in his ability to create, in my opinion, a flawless movie. This requires such a level of artistic vision, chiseling of the film-making process, depth of subject, and a sense of balance, in all areas, that only a truly gifted master of one's craft can obtain it. To make films of this caliber requires an incredible amount of energy combined with natural genius. This is all coming from someone who is extremely critical of cinema, among other things. *wink*
You're causing me to make the difficult choice of only three movies so I will choose on the basis of my own pure enjoyment and their qualification for "flawlessness", in my not-so-humble opinion.

Rosemary's Baby
Chinatown
The 9th Gate (I'm aware this is not a traditional choice, as is not Rosemary's baby, but I feel they are both underrated due to their incorrectly perceived genres. These movies are flawless)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am

Army of GOD wrote:Watch all of his movies (that he directed) but Death Proof and Four Rooms. Everyone should watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction at least once.

I liked Four Rooms...

BBS wrote:(Between you and me, TG, does FunkyT know how to watch movies?)

No, I don't believe he does.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
<dons a fancy hat, holds a glass of red wine> What would you say are Roman Polanski's three best films?

My level of appreciation for Roman Polanski's films is not merely based on their subtlety and moving nature but in his ability to create, in my opinion, a flawless movie. This requires such a level of artistic vision, chiseling of the film-making process, depth of subject, and a sense of balance, in all areas, that only a truly gifted master of one's craft can obtain it. To make films of this caliber requires an incredible amount of energy combined with natural genius. This is all coming from someone who is extremely critical of cinema, among other things. *wink*

Oh, you're talking about this kind of caliber, right?

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 am

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 am

I'm sad to hear of either the death or status of "Washed up" applied to Harold Ramus and Burt Ward.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 am

kentington wrote:I don't think I have seen any of the movies mentioned. I may need to exit my bubble for a bit.

Honestly dude, if you're pondering watching a Tarantino film, you shouldn't have a problem with nudity. There isn't any nudity to my knowledge in any of his movies, but your values might be skewed if you'd rather watch gratuitous violence and black humor than a female nipple.

That being said, Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs are best, in that order imo but opinions differ. Jackie Brown is good but a little slower.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 and Inglorious Basterds are good for one watch imo.

-TG

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Honestly dude, if you're pondering watching a Tarantino film, you shouldn't have a problem with nudity. There isn't any nudity to my knowledge in any of his movies, but your values might be skewed if you'd rather watch gratuitous violence and black humor than a female nipple.

Aren't you jumping the gun though? Present company tends to have an affect on what one watches. Just because he's pondering watching black humor over nudity doesn't necessarily mean his value system is skewed.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:57 am

Violence is much worse than any nudity. Don't care who you are. If you have reservations about portrayals of acts or ideas in movies, then shooting people or ass-raping them (Zed and Maynard) is a hell of a lot worse than a titty or external genitalia shot.

Why I have a problem with American t.v. I find it ridiculously absurd that FCC censors skin (mind you, only areas that make up about 3% of total skin area) or even sexual acts but some guy getting blasted in the face with a gun? Cool.

-TG

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

Agrred TG, and it started a long time ago now.

I wonder if bewbs would be as big a deal if they were not suppressed though?

I remember seeing Pulp Fiction in the theater on opening night. Quinten had not become mainstream yet. When Vincent's gun accidently went off I laughed with some of the other people watching, then paused and thought about how jaded we were.

A guy just got splattered and we were laughing.

I suspect if it came out today the theater would be full and nearly everyone would laugh.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

lmao....and here I thot Canooks were invariably polite / nice :lol:

I also went on opening night; I remember that was the one scene I've ever seen in a theater that literally made me jump out of my seat - surprised the HELL outta me....I recall gasping at the audacity and laughing at the actors' responses to the incident.....that was a shocker.....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Don't worry FunkyT. The unwashed masses worship Tarantino because he is the new Opium. Us Ivory Tower folk can go on living in peace.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm

KoolBak wrote:lmao....and here I thot Canooks were invariably polite / nice :lol:

We/they used to be. It's too bad really to see it go away. Maybe it's because our city is too big but I think it's media. Everyone wants to be gangsters and bronies or what ever.

I watched Braveheart once with two guys I was working with. One of them cringed and turned away closing his eyes when the guy rode a horse in and hit someone with a mace. It was nice to see someone that was not desensitized to violent images.

Just think if no one could stomach being a jerk. "No, no, I insist, after you." "Why thank you, kind sir. Have a terrific day." Now days it catches me off guard when people are polite / nice.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm

2dimes wrote:Just think if no one could stomach being a jerk. "No, no, I insist, after you." "Why thank you, kind sir. Have a terrific day." Now days it catches me off guard when people are polite / nice.

They should start a theme park where it's just ordinary things (stores, restaurants, professionals, etc..) but everyone is really polite and considerate. I might make a weekly tradition out of it if it existed.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

We have been to a few places where I noticed people saying excuse me in stores and that sort of thing. Made me miss when our city was like that.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Violence is much worse than any nudity. Don't care who you are. If you have reservations about portrayals of acts or ideas in movies, then shooting people or ass-raping them (Zed and Maynard) is a hell of a lot worse than a titty or external genitalia shot.

Why I have a problem with American t.v. I find it ridiculously absurd that FCC censors skin (mind you, only areas that make up about 3% of total skin area) or even sexual acts but some guy getting blasted in the face with a gun? Cool.

-TG

The worst is when they censor someone flipping off the camera. Everyone knows what the f*ck the person is doing, why bother censoring it?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby kentington on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

Honestly dude, if you're pondering watching a Tarantino film, you shouldn't have a problem with nudity. There isn't any nudity to my knowledge in any of his movies, but your values might be skewed if you'd rather watch gratuitous violence and black humor than a female nipple.

That being said, Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs are best, in that order imo but opinions differ. Jackie Brown is good but a little slower.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 and Inglorious Basterds are good for one watch imo.

-TG

Honestly, I don't enjoy overly violent movies. Some violence is okay. Fights and whatnot, some gunning but not like slicing necks and blowing someones face off or anything.
The reason I didn't think to ask about violence is because usually when people recommend a movie they tell you to watch out for the violence if it has a lot. One thing people don't warn about in my experience is sexuality.
But sexual violence is the worst. Even if it doesn't show any nudity. I can't stand anybody getting raped or anything.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 am

kent wrote:I can't stand anybody getting raped or anything.

Don't watch Pulp Fiction.

Resevoir Dogs might be okay, but there is one scene in particular that you might not enjoy. However, it is the best scene in the movie.

-TG

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

Resevoir Dogs might be okay, but there is one scene in particular that you might not enjoy. However, it is the best scene in the movie.

-TG

Yeah a lot of his stuff is gratuitously "shocking" and oh so very "90's". I honestly think he read too many comic books growing up(and beyond) and its permanently affected his mind to the point where he can't seem to outgrow these tendencies.
I know it sounds like I'm being really hard on Tarantino but I do think he has good qualities, he just keeps trying to overextend his reach.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re:

Postby KoolBak on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am

2dimes wrote:We have been to a few places where I noticed people saying excuse me in stores and that sort of thing. Made me miss when our city was like that.

Wow....my town is more canadian than yours! :lol:

Back to movie shit.......Canadian Bacon is one of my all time fun movies...LOVE the way they portray you hosers :lol: 10 minute clip, but funny as hell

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 am

I could never get through it. Maybe I'll give it another run. Steve Wright is pretty awesome.

I would explain the aboot thing but you probably wouldn't believe me.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby nagerous on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:05 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

Captain nagerous

Postby nietzsche on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't think Violence is the theme on Tarantino's movies, I think it's Great Dialogue.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 pm

nietzsche wrote:I don't think Violence is the theme on Tarantino's movies, I think it's Great Dialogue.

Do you mean that as in: "the great conversation about the great ideas" that is the Western canon?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,