Conquer Club

American Psycho 2000

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Did the youtube scene--at any moment--make you laugh?

Total votes : 0

American Psycho 2000

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 am

IMDB labels it as "Crime, Drama," but I found it really funny because it's so ridiculous.

E.g.

Leading up to 1:28. Just ridiculous!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: American Psycho 2000

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 am

Dark comedy, definitely.

Also, http://tbc.ytmnd.com/
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 am

I liked that movie but I found the comedy aspect you're talking about to be a little cheezy. Again, I don't like to be hit over the head with humor, dark or otherwise.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I liked that movie but I found the comedy aspect you're talking about to be a little cheezy. Again, I don't like to be hit over the head with humor, dark or otherwise.

I'd say the same of Furious Psychos, or whatever it's called... Natural Born Killers.

What NBK lacked and what AP provided were very still and serious moments followed by jolts (e.g. youtube video above). NBK was non-stop, *bang bang bang bang*... not amusing. But, American Psycho pulled it off.

What's fun about the scene in that youtube video is that he's absolutely serious while providing some interesting commentary about a silly-sounding song. And you see the furniture wrapped up, the drunk guy, the newspaper rolled out. Christian Bale really pulled it off well--that dance was perfect. His tone of voice was great.

Perhaps you're not a fan of dark comedy in general?
RE: your dialogue with Haggis, that seems to be the case...
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
What's fun about the scene in that youtube video is that he's absolutely serious while providing some interesting commentary about a silly-sounding song. And you see the furniture wrapped up, the drunk guy, the newspaper rolled out. Christian Bale really pulled it off well--that dance was perfect. His tone of voice was great.

It's a well done movie, no doubt, so I'm not going to trash it. I found NBKs decent as well.
It's interesting though, when I watch these scenes that are apparently considered "black humor" by others, a part of my mind is triggered that has nothing to do with humor and more introspective in nature. When I watch scenes such as this in the company of others I have noticed certain people getting rather excited and laughing etc and it somewhat interrupts my immersion in the scene. I suppose this is due to my opinion that it's based more on satire than comedy and therefore digested differently by my mind.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

It's a well done movie, no doubt, so I'm not going to trash it. I found NBKs decent as well.
It's interesting though, when I watch these scenes that are apparently considered "black humor" by others, a part of my mind is triggered that has nothing to do with humor and more introspective in nature. When I watch scenes such as this in the company of others I have noticed certain people getting rather excited and laughing etc and it somewhat interrupts my immersion in the scene. I suppose this is due to my opinion that it's based more on satire than comedy and therefore digested differently by my mind.

Satire's funny for me, but so it goes.

What's your top 5 for black comedies (PC AUTODELETE!!) dark humor films?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby patches70 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:What's your top 5 for black comedies (PC AUTODELETE!!) dark humor films?

Dr Strangelove
Shaun of the Dead
Trainspotting
True Romance
Very Bad Things

There are probably others that I am forgetting.

Dr Strangelove is arguably the all time best dark comedy.
Private patches70

Postby 2dimes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 am

I can't remember for certain from the first time it was posted here and it was more of a surprise when I watched it. I think I laughed when he asked, "Is that a rain coat?" then replied, "Why yes, yes it is."

This time no, but I maybe over thinking it because of all the recent discussion.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

patches wrote:Trainspotting

One of the few movies where I've been uncomfortable watching it. That dead baby scene was... ugh... made me cringe.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby betiko on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm

my favorite from that movie is the business card scene!

my favorite dark humour movie is "c'est arrivé près de chez vous", "man bites dog" in english. It's supposed to be a documentary about a serial killer, might not be funny for non french. The actor is awesome, he's from Belgium and talks funny for us.

Major betiko

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

NBK had many serious moments. The interview with Woody Harrelson was probably the best.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby patches70 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
patches wrote:Trainspotting

One of the few movies where I've been uncomfortable watching it. That dead baby scene was... ugh... made me cringe.

-TG

yeah, the movie got real dark at that point, didn't it?
Private patches70

Postby nietzsche on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 am

patches70 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:What's your top 5 for black comedies (PC AUTODELETE!!) dark humor films?

Dr Strangelove
Shaun of the Dead
Trainspotting
True Romance
Very Bad Things

I hadn't in my mind that True Romance was dark humor. It's a movie that Tarantino doesn't get credit often. I really enjoyed the movie and only later realized it was written by Tarantino.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:43 am

I actually avoided American Psycho for a long time based on many of my friends not liking it. When I finally watched it it was probably one of the most pleasant surprises I've had watching a movie.

The violence is sometimes too over the top (chainsaw anyone?) but I thought it was not only amusing and entertaining, but also was trying to convey a message.

Spoilers ahoy:
show

Or it's all in his mind, but that would just be boring.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I actually avoided American Psycho for a long time based on many of my friends not liking it. When I finally watched it it was probably one of the most pleasant surprises I've had watching a movie.

The violence is sometimes too over the top (chainsaw anyone?) but I thought it was not only amusing and entertaining, but also was trying to convey a message.

Spoilers ahoy:
show

Or it's all in his mind, but that would just be boring.

Is the simple truth not as exciting for you?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Is the simple truth not as exciting for you?

Got any proof that it's all in his mind?

It seems most likely to me that some of it is in his mind (i.e. we see it from his point of view as an unreliable narrator and some things are exaggerated, maybe the girls look hotter than they really are, etc) but the bulk of it happens. Except for the part where he loses it at the end of course. It's pretty hard to tell how much of that part happened.
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Doesn't Dumbledore die at the end of American Psycho?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Is the simple truth not as exciting for you?

Got any proof that it's all in his mind?

It seems most likely to me that some of it is in his mind (i.e. we see it from his point of view as an unreliable narrator and some things are exaggerated, maybe the girls look hotter than they really are, etc) but the bulk of it happens. Except for the part where he loses it at the end of course. It's pretty hard to tell how much of that part happened.

Really?
show
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Really?
show

Yeah, you can interpret it like that. Like you say at the end there's no real way to know how far he went if we've established the narrative as unreliable. The fact that he scribbled that stuff doesn't really say anything. I mean you could argue that he did the murders but the methods are exaggerated and you can get any combination of real and fake you want.
About the police and realism, this movie world is clearly an exaggeration of our world.
Mistaken identity on a ridiculous/hilarious level seems to be commonplace, so I don't think the realism accusation sinks the theory that he really killed people.

The book is much more ambiguous and the producers of the movie have pretty much stated outright that they intended the movie to be equally ambiguous.

See imdb FAQ
One thing I think is a failure on my part is people keep coming out of the film thinking that its all a dream, and I never intended that. All I wanted was to be ambiguous in the way that the book was. I think it's a failure of mine in the final scene because I just got the emphasis wrong. I should have left it more open ended. It makes it look like it was all in his head, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not (the complete interview can be found here).

Basically there is no absolute truth to be had in this case. So seeing that, the benefit of my interpretation (and indeed the argument between the two interpretations) is that it gives you something to talk about with the people after you just saw the movie.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Really?
show

Yeah, you can interpret it like that. Like you say at the end there's no real way to know how far he went if we've established the narrative as unreliable. The fact that he scribbled that stuff doesn't really say anything. I mean you could argue that he did the murders but the methods are exaggerated and you can get any combination of real and fake you want.
About the police and realism, this movie world is clearly an exaggeration of our world.
Mistaken identity on a ridiculous/hilarious level seems to be commonplace, so I don't think the realism accusation sinks the theory that he really killed people.

The book is much more ambiguous and the producers of the movie have pretty much stated outright that they intended the movie to be equally ambiguous.

See imdb FAQ
One thing I think is a failure on my part is people keep coming out of the film thinking that its all a dream, and I never intended that. All I wanted was to be ambiguous in the way that the book was. I think it's a failure of mine in the final scene because I just got the emphasis wrong. I should have left it more open ended. It makes it look like it was all in his head, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not (the complete interview can be found here).

Basically there is no absolute truth to be had in this case. So seeing that, the benefit of my interpretation (and indeed the argument between the two interpretations) is that it gives you something to talk about with the people after you just saw the movie.

NEVER! I'll get angry instead and loudly proclaim, "I AM RIGHT; YOU ARE WRONG!"

(re: underlined, which makes for an enjoyable film).
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby nagerous on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

patches70 wrote:

Dr Strangelove
Shaun of the Dead
Trainspotting
True Romance
Very Bad Things

Fargo deserves a mention

Shaun of the Dead is more of a standard comedy but with added zombies..

And on the other side I didn't find trainspotting particularly funny
Captain nagerous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,