Conquer Club

Map Names

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Names

Postby chapcrap on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 am

While working with tournaments this morning, I happened across a WWII tournament, using all WWII maps. It made me think, I wonder why Stalingrad isn't called WWII Stalingrad. That's what it was called when making it. That's still what the title of the thread is. So, why isn't it grouped with all other WWII maps?

There are other maps like this, that do not have the name that it was being called originally.
    Baseball: King of Diamonds
    Battle for Australia
    Battle of Waterloo
    Charleston, SC
    Dark Continent - Colonial Africa
    Dungeon of Draknor
    Eight Thoughts
    Good Morning Woodboro
    Holy Roman Empire 1648
    Madness - Our House
    Napoleonic Europe 1812
    New York City
    Senate
    SFR Yugoslavia
    The Fight for Alexander's Empire
    The Hive
    The King's Court
    Trench Warfare 1917
    War of the Triple Alliance
    WWII Ardennes Offensive
    WWII Operation Iwo Jima
    WWII Pearl Harbor

So, while I don't care much about most of the map names, I think that the mapmakers should get to choose what their map is called most of the time. I'm not sure have "The" in front of a map name is important. Anyway, I was wondering how the name was actually chosen.
Last edited by chapcrap on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Map Names

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 pm

As far as I know, that was a lackattack decision - what to put the map in the dbase as.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Confirmed the above...it was lackattack decision.

Said that I think that now we can change them if there's desire.
But have "the" in front of the map name is not a smart idea imo. It would be just harder to find some maps.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:20 am

I agree mostly about 'The'

I wonder why he chose to use some names properly, from the mapmakers, and others however he chose. The thig that is most odd about it is the inconsistency with naming procedure.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 am

Another for your list of names changed, but I am happy with the database name.
Battle at Rorke's Drift is just Rorke's Drift.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 am

chapcrap wrote:I wonder why he chose to use some names properly, from the mapmakers, and others however he chose. The thig that is most odd about it is the inconsistency with naming procedure.

I think that when the name was too long or if it was easier to find out the map in the list in a different way, then he changed the title. A good example could be Baseball, i think.
Said that for some names I can't find a real reason for the change... :-k

What I would like to understand is if we change the names now, this could create more problems? I mean, some are old maps and people get used with the names (or better the position in the list); I don't want someone may think...."where is that map?"

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ender516 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

If we had a better map index/browser, one could search with approximate names and find what one wants. The official names could be long, like "Dark Continent - Colonial Africa", but you should be able to type just about any single word and get what you were looking for.
Perhaps a map could appear with more than one name, if there were a way to mark nicknames and official names.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I wonder why he chose to use some names properly, from the mapmakers, and others however he chose. The thig that is most odd about it is the inconsistency with naming procedure.

I think that when the name was too long or if it was easier to find out the map in the list in a different way, then he changed the title. A good example could be Baseball, i think.
Said that for some names I can't find a real reason for the change... :-k

What I would like to understand is if we change the names now, this could create more problems? I mean, some are old maps and people get used with the names (or better the position in the list); I don't want someone may think...."where is that map?"

Nobodies

Yes, I agree that caution should be used when changing a map name. Although, it was already done with Far East, so it is not unprecedented.
ender516 wrote:If we had a better map index/browser, one could search with approximate names and find what one wants. The official names could be long, like "Dark Continent - Colonial Africa", but you should be able to type just about any single word and get what you were looking for.
Perhaps a map could appear with more than one name, if there were a way to mark nicknames and official names.

I don't mind that, but I wouldn't want to do away with a list of maps...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Foundry Discussions