Conquer Club

Opinion on racism.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you think it's racist to suggest Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuality?

Total votes : 0

Opinion on racism.

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm curious about this.

Sorry there's no spectator options. Even though that pains me, you must chose of you want to vote.

I have left it so you can change your opinion later if you wish.
Corporal 2dimes

Re: Opinion on racism.

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I would say its mostly a fact that they consider being a homosexual a crime. What are you getting at? I wouldn't say they're any more violent towards the gays than secular Christians
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:25 pm

I on the other hand think cutting off a person's head is more violent than whatever you think the "secular Christians" have dome.

I could be wrong though.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 pm

2dimes wrote:I on the other hand think cutting off a person's head is more violent than whatever you think the "secular Christians" have dome.

I could be wrong though.

I'd say that's a different issue. In a culture where a lot of things we would consider minor offenses are punishable by chopping off your head.
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

That's a different issue from what?

I'm not trying to suggest a person will participate just because they want to be identified by the label Muslim.

There is ample quantity of those that do though. I will fully admit I can't know the numbers but it most certainly appears to be more than half.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I'll concede there's people possibly worse that proudly identify as Christian but they are fortunately for everyone besides themselves few and far between.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby patches70 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

There are five nations of the world that can carry the death penalty for homosexual acts. All five of those countries are muslim. In Afghanistan, under the Taliban, and in Iraq, under Hussein's 2001 decree, the death penalty was allowed for homosexual acts. The situation in both those nations has just recently changed due to the invasions.

Is what I just wrote, even though it is a fact, am I racist for writing it?

It was not always the case in Islamic countries. Such punishments were rarely doled out in the days of old.
Iran is the worst offender of executing homosexuals. Some 4,000 executed since the Islamic Revolution.
Saudi Arabia will execute homosexuals if they are married, or are trying to create a movement and challenge State authority. Otherwise homosexuals just get a fine, prison and/or lashes.

Interesting to note, Syria, under Assad, doesn't do anything at all to homosexuals. It's not illegal nor are homosexuals jailed, executed nor beaten under State decree. I'm sure there is some gay bashing going on, but such is not State approved. Good thing we are actively trying to root that evil dictator out, eh?
Private patches70

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

xeno wrote:What are you getting at?

I don't know.

I am baffled that people pointing out factual things that might be stretched into generalizations by some unable to isolate anything is called "racist".
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 pm

2dimes wrote:
xeno wrote:What are you getting at?

I don't know.

I am baffled that people pointing out factual things that might be stretched into generalizations by some unable to isolate anything is called "racist".

I think I missed whatever thread you're poking fun at?
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby TeeGee on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:53 pm

I am no expert on any religion, I prefer the Big Bang theory. I have never read the christian bible, but doesn't that say all things about homosexuality are bad and should be punished? Why single out Muslims?
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm

^^^my original point
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby greenoaks on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Muslim is not a race, so the answer is No
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby notyou2 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:44 pm

greenoaks wrote:Muslim is not a race, so the answer is No

I agree, "racist" is not the correct word.
Captain notyou2

Postby greenoaks on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:05 pm

notyou2 wrote:

it was a trick question :-$
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm not making fun of anything here. Though I might start at any moment.

I don't want to say what started this thread but basically someone said, "That's racist." In response to someone... Yada yada.

The "Muslim is not a race." Thing has been pointed out and I agree but wanted to pose the question in an anonymous poll so anyone who thought that could click yes. I am basically wondering how many people did or even better still do.

I would like to see another poll to see how many think it's some form of bad thing to talk about Governments doing nasty things and justifying it via Islam.

Discussion on being wrong and blaming any religion is welcome in this thread. Carry on.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Racism is today a label used when it suits, nothing more.

I've been called a racist here for expressing my intense dislike for the Chinese... again, not a race, a nationality, but folks found it racist at that time.

Like Rush Limbaugh's mocking the Chinese Premiere, mimicking his Chinese accent. It was a childish thing to do, but liberals across the nations were screaming it was racism.

Like any dissatisfaction expressed about the President - racist.

Like I said, when it suits.

On topic, I don't think it's racist, the death penalty for homosexual acts. Third World barbaric and demonstrative of a Dark Ages mentality, yes. Racist? No.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby GeneralRisk on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Last edited by GeneralRisk on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major GeneralRisk

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm

I think everyone knew what you meant with the title.
So the question is whether or not its stereotyping to suggest that Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuality then. I'd say it's a generalization at the very least since it can't possibly apply to all Muslims. I suppose it would depend on the Muslim and whether or not if he/she were put in a position to decide whether or not violence should be used against a homosexual/homosexual acts. Tbh I'm not even knowledgeable enough about the religion to know if it's belief system dictates one way or another.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 pm

It is also possible to be racist without being too specific - e.g. against anyone who isn't white. To conflate the fact that Leicester is a city where whites are in a minority with the fact that it has specific problems couldbe seen as racism of the "wogs begin at Calais" type.
But I agree there do seem to be many muslims who are homophobic. And indeed mysogynistic too.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Ray Rider on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 pm

notyou2 wrote:

+1
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 am

Nobunaga wrote:Racism is today a label used when it suits, nothing more.

I've been called a racist here for expressing my intense dislike for the Chinese... again, not a race, a nationality, but folks found it racist at that time.

Like Rush Limbaugh's mocking the Chinese Premiere, mimicking his Chinese accent. It was a childish thing to do, but liberals across the nations were screaming it was racism.

Like any dissatisfaction expressed about the President - racist.

Like I said, when it suits.

On topic, I don't think it's racist, the death penalty for homosexual acts. Third World barbaric and demonstrative of a Dark Ages mentality, yes. Racist? No.

I do know the Japanese and Chinese don't get along very well. Not that I don't see why considering their history, but still.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby CreepersWiener on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I think everyone knew what you meant with the title.
So the question is whether or not its stereotyping to suggest that Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuality then. I'd say it's a generalization at the very least since it can't possibly apply to all Muslims. I suppose it would depend on the Muslim and whether or not if he/she were put in a position to decide whether or not violence should be used against a homosexual/homosexual acts. Tbh I'm not even knowledgeable enough about the religion to know if it's belief system dictates one way or another.

I certainly agree with your post here. To say that all Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuals is ludicrous. To make any statement that would suggest an entire group of people would want to oppose homosexuals with violence is not being fair. Certainly individuals would not all agree with the question being asked; however, I can say that Islam is not the only religion that professes the "evils" of homosexuality. The Old Testament gave the commandment:
Leviticus 20:13 wrote:If a man lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Putting homosexuals to death was apparently commanded by God, and not only Muslims practiced executing homosexuals. My question would be: "Does GOD violently oppose homosexuals?" Because the obvious answer is: "Yes!"
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Postby clangfield on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 am

CreepersWiener wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I think everyone knew what you meant with the title.

I certainly agree with your post here. To say that all Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuals is ludicrous. To make any statement that would suggest an entire group of people would want to oppose homosexuals with violence is not being fair. Certainly individuals would not all agree with the question being asked; however, I can say that Islam is not the only religion that professes the "evils" of homosexuality. The Old Testament gave the commandment:
Leviticus 20:13 wrote:If a man lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Putting homosexuals to death was apparently commanded by God, and not only Muslims practiced executing homosexuals. My question would be: "Does GOD violently oppose homosexuals?" Because the obvious answer is: "Yes!"

From Frankie Boyle: "A man who lies with another man should be stoned. It helps, that's all I'm saying :)"

They might get a black Pope. I wonder when they'll get a lesbian one?
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm

CreepersWiener wrote: To say that all Muslims are violently opposed to homosexuals is ludicrous. To make any statement that would suggest an entire group of people would want to oppose homosexuals with violence is not being fair.

I don't disagree with this but I don't know if I'd get as defensive as to bother saying it's not fair.

I'm fairly sure as long as it's not being used to promote anything negative beyond making the statement. Most Muslims I've known would be ok with being labeled as against homosexuality.
However I'm certain they would only oppose it via a legal system or something much like anyone else would oppose something they consider a crime.

Basically like, I oppose littering but I probably would pick up something someone tossed on the ground and not even bother saying anything because I know they don't care.

CreepersWiener wrote: I can say that Islam is not the only religion that professes the "evils" of homosexuality. The Old Testament gave the commandment:

God most certainly violently opposed his chosen people practicing homosexuality. They were not allowed to have regular reproductive style sex with certain people either.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby AAFitz on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Not the phrase itself, but certainly the person doing it may or may not be.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,