Conquer Club

Lisbon Metro [08/3] V4 pg3/3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Lisbon Metro [14/2] V3 pg2/2

Postby Armandolas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 am

Here are the promised changes
Thiner public transportation lines and numbers(888) added

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Armandolas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Armandolas

Re: Lisbon Metro [18/2] V3 pg2/2

Postby sannemanrobinson on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 am

Okay thanks for showing them. THe public transport lines are not so prominent anymore. I wonder what other people have to say about it.

The 888's are mostly to show if there is enough distance between army circles. Especially on the small map at Perque and Piceas it could become too crowded. If you can show that there is enough space for them, then there is no need to move the circles.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 am

Armandolas, here is my problem, and my only problem is this: the map has no flair to it. No panache, style or substance. I look at it and think of ugly sister, when I so want to look at it and say pretty girlfriend.

You have tantalised me with a map that has zones, but what do I get for each zone? Gimme a prize.
Cobbles texture on the outside of the map, bring this into the map itself but make it complement it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 am

Thats why we are here to change,give suggestions, and make something out of this, to get better.

What do you mean with "No panache, style or substance"
I dont think think every map that comes forward must be a superduper hellokitty fantasy style.
Are you saying that u dont like the design or just saying that its just another "classic" map
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 am

Not that, as for the game play, that is normal and I can easily live with that. But it is just the overall look of the map. Don't get me wrong, it has all the starts for a great looking map and it may take a long time to finally nail down a look that you are happy with.

Here is an early version of the Paris metro map, this is where I see yours now. A nice map, good gameplay but something is missing.
Click image to enlarge.

And this is what it was just before binning.
Click image to enlarge.

As you can see, the overall look is not that much different. But the latest version had some small details that made the map stand out.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:08 am

Well....i must agree with you, isnt that the part where it gets the Graphics stamp?
I allways thought of it, get the graphics stamp only when graphics look amazing :)

About the Paris map, i like the bottom of it, with the monuments and and a nice legend , the rest i just find it a mess :)
The big change is a google map underneath the stations
But i believe in the improvement of things and more than one people giving opinions to make stuff better
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 am

Graphics, game play stamps all come when they come. But you work on it all, all the time.

I used Paris as a comparison as it is a metro map as well and it has a lot of similarities. But you get the meaning now, basic map needs to go for a makeover. Use the guidance given and take on any suggestions, but remember, this is your map and you need to let us know which way you want to go.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 am

The cobbles(calçada Portuguesa) will stay outside, but the inside will have something too, is this what u meant before?
A few graphic stuff will get rearrangements in the future, as i wanted to organize a bit of gameplay first.

About the zones i gave a suggestion in a previous post, about x number of territs in a zone=x numer or bonus
But as soon i will get the zones designed set i will probably pop up a few more ideas

Cheers
Colonel Armandolas

Re: Lisbon Metro [20/2] V4 pg2/2

Postby Armandolas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 am

Hello
Made a few more upgrades in the design,Hope you like it :)
To do: get names for public transportation station
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 am

Why the different styles for the background? Like the water though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 am

You mean drawing styles from the bottom onnes to the upper one?

Still doing some research to check what works best
I prefer the bottom style, but i like the pic from the castle, so i need to find out what works best
Last edited by Armandolas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:06 am

Correct, the two bottom ones are nice but the top one seems a bit heavy for this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am

Made some adjustments on the top backgroundm just forgot to hide a bit of it, but thats not a prob to get the feel of it ;)

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby sannemanrobinson on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

The background is a great idea. Instead a different background in every zone I would compose one background that blends into each other.

The castle can use some cleaning. I presume you filtered it with detect edges but the buildings have some strange double lines.

The 4 zones are not really working for me. There are also enough other options to get a bonus.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 am

Congrats! It's looking good :)

Are all regions distributable? Will the bus and ferry stations start neutral? ..
Major Kabanellas

Postby Armandolas on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 am

Kabanellas wrote:Congrats! It's looking good :)

Are all regions distributable? Will the bus and ferry stations start neutral? ..

Bus, Ferry and connection stations will start neuts

sannemanrobinson wrote:The background is a great idea. Instead a different background in every zone I would compose one background that blends into each other.

The castle can use some cleaning. I presume you filtered it with detect edges but the buildings have some strange double lines.

The 4 zones are not really working for me. There are also enough other options to get a bonus.

I will wotk on that castle background, and yes i used detect edges to do it
Colonel Armandolas

Re: Lisbon Metro [08/3] V4 pg3/3

Postby Armandolas on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Updated:
Few background changes
Public transportation names added

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 am

Armandolas, 4 zones but the legend only states 3. Cross hatched tower top of legend still has the white behind it.

Red, yellow and blue lines in zone 1 are all very close to each other. You have the room so it might be nice to use it and spread your map out a tad.

Armandolas, here is my only problem at the moment with this map. Everything looks fine, game play is coming along nicely, graphics are moving forward also, but this still does not say Lisbon to me (what it says is a city that is drab and dull - sorry O:) ). This is your part of the world. What is their about Lisbon that a non native would know. What is their that would make me want to come to Lisbon. Try to find something that says here is my home town, come and visit us, here is why. Have a think on that, try to come up with something and then see if you can incorporate it into the map.

Keep up the great work.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 am

koontz1973 wrote:Armandolas, 4 zones but the legend only states 3. Cross hatched tower top of legend still has the white behind it.

Red, yellow and blue lines in zone 1 are all very close to each other. You have the room so it might be nice to use it and spread your map out a tad.

Armandolas, here is my only problem at the moment with this map. Everything looks fine, game play is coming along nicely, graphics are moving forward also, but this still does not say Lisbon to me (what it says is a city that is drab and dull - sorry O:) ). This is your part of the world. What is their about Lisbon that a non native would know. What is their that would make me want to come to Lisbon. Try to find something that says here is my home town, come and visit us, here is why. Have a think on that, try to come up with something and then see if you can incorporate it into the map.

Keep up the great work.

I will fix the legend, it is clearly a type mistake
Also have to clear that white in the bridge, thanks.
About the lines being too close, i didnt wanted to change the original format of the line, but maybe its worth a try.
And about being dull or drab, sry but i dont have the talent to create a masterpiece that pleases you ;)
Or maybe we just have completely distinct taste on graphics. I just cant do much better than this.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 am

It is not so much dull and drab, that is fine, I like the greys and blacks (loved the Paris metro one as well). This is me not explaining myself clearly. What I mean and have failed to convey is this, I like the style but if I look at this map without the title of Lisbon Metro on it, what is their to say this is Lisbon. I could put Edinburgh Metro and have a winner. That statue at the top of the legend also looks like another famous statue in Rio, so again, put Rio in place of Lisbon, we have a map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:39 am

i understand your point, but there is nothing in lisbon as famous as liberty statue or eiffel tower that u could recognize it. There is not a big icon, but loads of them but they are not world wide famous.
Imagine Budapest(assuming that u are from there or know it better)...what would u give us to easily identify that is Budapest?
Well, i imagine that even if u could play Strauss only few people would find out what it was :)
But still i understand your point but this is a small country so its no iconic like London , NYC , Paris or Rio
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:55 am

For my Magyar map, to show Budapest of, I used the crown. But if I made a Budapest map, I would bring out the local things like the history. Budapest is a city that is full of history, has been conquered many times so that is an easy thing to do.
You could use something similar along that line.
Imageor the flag
ImageLook at that boat in the flag, with the old buildings in the background, that would look pretty good as the ferry symbol maybe? Just look at those colours as well. A striking black and white background with the sharp gold and the hint of green in the water. Can you translate the text for me on the seal and flag please.
If nothing comes from Lisbon, try the wider area. What is it known for.
What is the difference between Lison and Lisboa? Is one the English version? Which one do you use?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

Lisbon is the name in english and Lisboa is the original name in Portuguese.
The translation for that old portuguese text is : Very noble and allways loyal city of Lisbon
In the pic backgrounds ive put some of the nicer and important areas in lisbon, like the castle or the old parts of the city in the hills
Also, the crows in the boat are the symbol of Lisbon and the cobbles are called calçada Portuguesa, typically portuguese and u can find it in most of the city. Both are represented in the map
I dont think it makes sense to put an old boat as the ferry symbol because it is a modern map

About Budapest is surely full of history and is probably the city in Europe that i most enjoyed visiting. But what i meant is that there is not realy an icon that u can easily identify as Budapest.The city is beatifull for it self and not because of a building or two :)

Still, i will try a different aproach on it to see what it comes out of it.
Thanks for input
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:12 am

Armandolas wrote:Still, i will try a different aproach on it to see what it comes out of it.
Thanks for input

That is all I ask for, as I have stated, I like the map graphically, but it is that missing element. If Lisboa is the native name for the city, why not use that? Also, that text, again might add reference.

Budapest like all cities have something. For this one, I would play up the Danu. Strauss wrote a piece of music after it, it borders both parts of the city (Buda and Pest). I would bring in the trams as it only has a limited underground. Going another way, you have the whole vampire lore based around Budapest, so another Halloween map could be made for it. But this is a different topic.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am

Armandolas, just looked in the first post for the first time in a while and noticed that the small map you have is a direct scaled version of the large map. Just to be clear, when you do come to make the small map, the army circles will need to stay the same size as the numbers stay the same. Text can be shrunk but better not to scale it as that never works well. So when you do move things around, consider the small map as well so you do not hit snags later.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas