Conquer Club

10 Simple Objectives/Concepts For Playing Team Games

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

10 Simple Objectives/Concepts For Playing Team Games

Postby random21 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 am

Read at your leisure, the below is a summary of my views on playing successful team games. Written in context of beginning of game/drop/first turn. Or just whenever you look at a board throughout your game... what should your goals be? No idea what to do on your turn, consider the following... They are numbered in a way I believe is most important (1) to least important (10) but realistically, they should be considered in commune. As they are my top ten tips, I feel they should all be given their due consideration. I will keep the points brief.

For context, I am considering a triples games, with no specific settings. But to offer my general game settings: Flat Rate, Chained, No Special settings

1) Maintain Map Presence/Control/Access

Look at the drop for you and your teammates. Look at which players have access to which parts of the board. Is there a part of the board where red has 2 territories, green 1, and blue none? This is a particularly weak part of the board for your team. Consider bolstering these territories to maintain presence, for if you are kicked out of the region, it could be a major burden for future turns trying to fight your way back. Don't lose presence early on in a part of the map. Even more so if these are likely targets. Did you notice that blue can not access the upper right corner, easy job to kick out 1 green, then ONLY red can do an attack up their effectively. And for red, that might be forced every turn and prevent them from playing elsewhere on the map as a result. Perhaps gaining that bonus can wait until next turn. Don't let yourself or your team get kicked out of a given region of the map altogether.

2) Break Opponents Bonus

Self Explanatory. Do not let your opponents get ahead without a fight. If it is your turn, and you are not close enough to do an effective job, split your deployment and help the closest teammate who can do the job effectively. Don't lead a desperate attack trying to break in if the odds already favour another team member who is immediately adjacent. Make his job easier, and give him 1 or 2 troops. If you can do it yourself, do it. Don't think to yourself, I'll let one of the other two do it on their turns, ... do it now. Don't bog down your teammates into a forced move... unless indeed that is the correct choice (i.e. above, they will do it much more easily than you)

3) Gain A Bonus

Find a way to give your team an edge and increase your troop income with a bonus. Or particular territories that offer automatic deployments of +1, +2 etc... Make your opponents sweat it out. Self Explanatory. Gives your team advantage. Target the bonuses that are most easily takable. Do you have 4 / 9 territories in a large bonus, and 1 / 3. It is quicker to take 2 territories, than the amount of turns it may take to get those 5 - oh, and keep them. Does your teammate have 2/4, and you have one of the other 2? Fort to him, let him take your territory and the other one that is your opponents. Giving up a territory in this way in the beginning is easy when everything is comparably even early on. Gaining a bonus is more effective sometimes then just increasing your territory count in general, it gives your team a stronger map presence, and forces your opponents turn, limiting their options. Gaining territories like sweeping one's or taking a bonus is a generally a decision leaning towards the bonus. Elimination of opponent with 1's etc can be important matters, but definitely look to gain bonuses.

4) Lower Opponents Territory count/Troop Income/Overall troops (often opponent who is next to play)

A very straightforward way to maintain a lead or create one. The next opponent to play, is there a way to weaken him by reducing his troop income? 16 territories, take two, lower him from 5 to 4 troops? Or just in general, reduce territory count, and overall troops.

5) Wondering which opponent to target?

If teams are on par or a bit behind, target strongest player and keep any opponent from gaining an advantage. If ahead, target weakest opponent, ultimately for elimination if an option or just to make his turn as meaningless as possible. I.e. take him to three troops due. Then cycle to next opponent, make him due three troops. Once they have all been neutralized, go for elimination. Have you got them all down to 3 troops? Are they just waiting for their next trade in to be helpful? Nicely done sir.

6) Control the Corners

Watch your back, and reduce the number of fronts you are working with. If you control a corner then you can explode outwards in attacks. If your opponents can only attack you from one direction, you can double your efforts and be more effective. If you control corners, you march inwards and take out everything in your path. If you start in the centre, you have a much harder time of attacking outward in all directions, with potential attacks coming from all over.

7) Attack single large stacks, Multiple One's

Once these start to become noticeable, do not let large stacks of 7 - 10 + linger for potential future assaults by your opponents. Also, if an opponent has many one's that can suitably be attacked and taken go for it.

8) Coordinate with teammates / Support them

Do not be silent in team games. (you wanted to play with others.. but not talk to them, ever?) Perhaps your teammates and you are all seasoned pros and don't need to because you all know what to do. Wrong. Keep communication open. Did you reinforce them in territory X for an assault on territory Y, remind them at the end of your turn. Are you wanting a particular reinforcement yourself for help on your next turn? Ask for it. Don't assume every team member has the same perfect ideas. Discuss. If you have two differing views, talk it out. Which is best? Along with communication is the support. Forting and deploying to your teammates on your turn.

9) Do These All Together

Can you gain a bonus, knock them out of a corner, reduce opponents presence in that corner, drop their territory count and troop income, while also being able to provide troops to your teammates at the end? Sounds like a perfect turn to me. Once you begin to look for these things in a turn, they will become the things you automatically notice. Train yourself to think about them - all of them!. Don't mindlessly go for a goal of "I can take that territory and lower his troop income" without considering other objectives as well.

10) Finally, we are back to a generalist point: What are the game Settings again? What is nature of the map?

How do the game settings influence the importance of these objectives? Are there cards waiting for you after you take a territory, or is it no spoils? Is this flat rate or escalating - maybe that mixed set isn't really worth 10, only 4 for first trade in! Are there a lot of neutrals, or just a few? Should you attack them instead of your opponent? Is it worth it? Is there something specific about the map you should be aware of? Is their a winning goal that can end the game, not simple elimination? Learn the map.

If there are two bonuses equally available, one in the corner and one in the centre, in general... which would you take?

Perhaps this was to vague. Perhaps it was somewhat helpful. Again, context is huge. Which goal is most applicable can change. But good to keep these in mind I think. I can expand on any one with a specific question about it. Many of them are probably ubiquitous.

Did I miss a big one in your opinion? Please keep in mind, these were general views about where to focus a particular turn, or series of turns. Some tactics such as how to deploy, use your trade ins etc were not being considered.

Hopefully your leisure time wasn't too much wasted. Do you have a different set of guidelines? Share them! We can all stand to learn something new!
Field Marshal random21

Re: 10 Simple Objectives/Concepts For Playing Team Games

Postby Trephining on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I value eliminating an opponent above knocking down their territory count or breaking their bonus. That is because once they are eliminated, they can't come back. That is 3 troops per turn they will never see again. Plus any spoils they would earn will never be earned.
Sergeant 1st Class Trephining

Postby random21 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:49 pm

i can understand this. going for elimination can never really be a bad thing.

i guess it just depends. if the other opponents are sufficiently weak but not at 3 troops even.

if opponent 1 is the one you are going to eliminate, i guess, how long will it take? if he has say 11 territories, but it will still take a few turns to wrap things up, where opponent 2 and 3 have bonuses, or are gaining ground by you ignoring them.. i dunno

i imagine this works in theory if you are successful, i.e. eliminate opponent 1 and allow 2 and 3 to keep bonus because you will come back with the extra turn quickly. ... but i just don't like the tension of how long it might take to eliminate ... if there is a chance you might just get held off at his last territory, and then player 2 and 3 decide to use both theirs turns to deploy massive deployment on his one surviving territory giving him a 10-15 stack then he explodes outwards.

i suppose this view is highly contextual. if you know you can get the elimination for sure... but i would rather never let my opponents keep a bonus, maybe let them keep high territories though. thats probably not a big deal.

are you going for elimination at expense of gaining your own bonuses? if he's really that weak, i would just say get some bonuses and finish it once you have healthy troops. but yes. this is likely an open issue.
Field Marshal random21

Postby Jippd on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 am

It also depends what is of more value. If killing an opponent reduces their team deploy by 3 great. If you have two choices and they are killing an opponent for -3 to their team deploy or breaking an opponents bonus that is worth 7 troops I would go for the break because it offsets the difference from team deploys more.
Major Jippd

Postby Koganosi on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 am

I value point 8 pretty much the highest. Communcation is the most important during teamgames.

Imo rest seems fine I might value lowering someone's troop count higher then getting a bonus myself. If they get a higher troopcount in the same turn they have a higher chance of breaking it. While you might be able to take the bonus next turn and lower their troopcount now.

Point 10. Is pretty low tbh. I generally look at the settings and map first caus thats always the most important. For Trench Games something else may apply, then for standard games. Just always keep in mind wich settings you play on which map.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby random21 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 am

Hmm, personally I think getting the bonus is pretty high, but point taken. I have also used that method, and agree that it works quite well. Especially with first turn.

The main reason for 10 being so low in my view and this thread, was that it was specifically for team games. So in all games, the map settings are very important. But I was trying to look at team aspects a little more closely. It seemed to be more general. It always changes, and that is important to know what settings are on. But something like targeting the next opponent to weaken his next turn, or forting to your teammate seems like a universal theme. Taking a territory might be important when there is a card waiting, but not in no spoils (even though for other reasons in no spoils, taking can lower troops count etc so still be worth doing).

Anyways, again all 10 are points to be considered.
Field Marshal random21

Postby Koganosi on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:36 pm

random21 wrote:Anyways, again all 10 are points to be considered.

Thats what I tried to discuss with you. Its always nice to have different point of views on subjects. Brings up nice idea's and tactics!

But jeah I agree with you teamgames, settings are not the most important.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Return to Conquer Club Discussion