Conquer Club

Philadelphia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Philadelphia: BETA

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Congrats!
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm

YAY! Thanks!!

Take note to you BOB users: the collections bonus shows up as you always having the +4 1 region bonus. Please pay attention to CC's log and stats for your proper bonus.

I'll also likely have a small XML update to make to the title of the underdog bonus, it comes up weird in the log the way it is currently written.

2013-02-18 18:05:46 - RedBaron0 received 4 troops for holding for being an underdog

I'll post that up after a bit of time has passed with any other possible, necessary changes.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby dakky21 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

though my thinking is not important, i REALLY hate that bricks texture background, i always think when i look at a map - that every brick is a territory for itself!
Captain dakky21

Postby gannable on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

[Game]12383571 [/Game]

won the first official game on his map.

I'm from the area. originally lived in levittown, then northeast philly on somerton territory, then my parents moved to s jersey while i was in college. then after college i moved to roxbourough then back to s jersey for a couple years after i got fired from a job. now i live in bryn mawr near villanova. now id like to move somewhere and find a nice southern or midwest girl with some good values.

like the map but i wish you could have found a way to implement the entire delaware valley. The suburbs mean as much as the city... at least to me anyway. I'm not big into going into the city

And I could do without the Rocky figure. I find the entire Rocky thing embarrassing.
Lieutenant gannable

Postby Dibbler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 am

just started a trips game on the map and pink is very hard to see on the map and I'm not colour blind. I find all the troops hard to distinguish I have to really concentrate hard just to see where everyone is.

I did also think the underdog bonus was broken, but I see RB already posted that it is BOB that is wrong not the game. Interesting idea though, as you get down you get more troops.
Highest Score: Brigadier- 3229 points
Highest Placing: 49 - December 6, 2011
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Dibbler

Postby Pirlo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am

I like this map, but only problem is with colors... they look too strong and darkish IMO... I think it would be a lot better if colors could be lighten a bit!
Captain Pirlo

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

nice map. original idea to make it as graffiti.
just one notice, could you also explain Underdog bonus in small map? just something like:
Underdog bonus (hold only)
3 Regions 1
2 Regions 2
1 Region 4

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby sundance123 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Nice map, but I have to echo some of the comments about the colour and having to really concentrate o=to distinguidh the numebr, regions etc. Maybe soften the brick colours a bit and make the black teritory outline a bit stronger?
Captain sundance123

Postby cooldeals on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 am

I like this map. Played it a few times yesterday. The only problem. You can't see it. I had to use Bob to dim the background and brighten the region circles to make it playable. I think the brick background is cool, but it needs to be more background than as the only thing on top of it that is really clear enough is the name "Philadelphia".
Colonel cooldeals

Postby perchorin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Agree with all above, can't read this map at all because of the colors.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I would highly recommend increasing the opacity of the colors so that the brick pattern isn't as prominent. I believe this would help most of the vision problems that people are having.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Dibbler on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm

My initial feel is I like the gameplay, I'm not concerned there but the colors are an issue and I think rds may be on to something.
Highest Score: Brigadier- 3229 points
Highest Placing: 49 - December 6, 2011
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Dibbler

Postby macbone on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am

I have to echo what the others are saying. I like the layout and the different bonus areas, but the colors seem like the need adjusting. I didn't even realize that gray had taken the purple bonus region: Game 12387301.

I would have gone with a more historical feel, but the graffiti is nice. It's a cool-looking map!
Colonel macbone

Postby JaneAusten on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 am

hey baron babe.. you know I love you work and this map is lovely looking with cohesive theme.. but I'm playing a 1v1 on it for the first time and it is v hard to see troop numbers on the map, even highlighted w/ bob..
Corporal 1st Class JaneAusten

Postby TheTrueNorth on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 am

played a couple of times & as the rest are saying it's hard to read
Corporal 1st Class TheTrueNorth

Postby ben79 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

The colours are horrible ! Hard to read the map !
Lieutenant ben79

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am

I hear ya all, I will work out these issues. Been out in the trenches playing games and have heard the same thing in more than a few game chats.
ImageImage

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Map name: Philadelphia
Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=121613
Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... ce237f.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 33f058.png
Link to an image with neutrals and starting positions: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 9680b3.jpg
XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/12/28 ... lyxml4.xml

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.

XML change is just for the title of the Underdog Bonus in the log.

Image changes reduces the opacity of the brick texture by 25% and removing of certain aspects of color enhancements that should clear up any and all clarity issues.
ImageImage

Re: Philadelphia: BETA - image/xml updates

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 pm

The green, orange and pink are still very hard to read if you ask me.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby TheTrueNorth on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm sitting 6' away on a 32' screen with perfect eye sight & I can't read a thing
Corporal 1st Class TheTrueNorth

Postby cooldeals on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm

So funny story, my teammate failed to take a guy out on the last region 5v1. The guy drops 7 the next turn. Way to escalate some bad luck. I think the underdog bonus is unique and fun, but in the end I may steer away from this map because it adds quite a luck factor that I think some experienced players may not like. However, doodle earth is mostly luck and people love it so you still have a market for the map.

Also the bridges have never ever come into play and neither has the Liberty Bell. I think no one desperate enough to go through neutrals to reach across the map can ever afford to go through 2,3,2 to get anywhere and taking 3 or 4 2's for a +2 or +3 bonus just doesn't seem viable either when people can go for all the other +2 or +3 bonuses in the map.

Just some gameplay thoughts.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby wyld chyld on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 pm

two things

1st, i like and encourage the idea of including the surrounding counties. philly is called the 5 counties, of philly, mont co, bucks co, chester co and deleware co, not to mention suburbs in de and nj. i was thinking you could break the counties into 2 or three, for example mont. co could have willow grove in the east, norristown in the center and k.o.p. in the west. maybe do something similar in the other counties, and maybe have each of those terr only attack a certain part of philly, or they have to go through their centers (county seat).

as to historical, yes philly has so many firsts it would be hard to decide how many you want to include, but you could do a map based on chronological geography. start with original philly, center city, and include the other early developments like germantown as increasing bonus, for players to gain they have to grow out, eventually into northeast philly and somerton, the last additions chronologically to my knowledge. maybe toy with doing a middle ages or 1st colonies type thing where you have to keep your early bonus. something like that would be possible, but the number of territories would have to expand.

but this map is great for a first try. i would lose the liberty bell though, that just seems a waste
Sergeant 1st Class wyld chyld

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Yeah I'm thinking of dropping down the value of the coded neutrals out there, or even the killer nature of the Liberty Bell.

That aspect of a "Greater Philadelphia" map was toyed with early on. At one point early on areas of South Jersey were included as territories, but was scraped for just the City of Philadelphia. (read - Philadelphia County/the incorporated communities therein) Believe me I'd enjoy the additional size to include SE Pennsylvania, as I grew up in Delco myself. However the appeal of such regions as a map didn't really seem to be there. :/
ImageImage

Postby davephlegmball on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:50 pm

I would love to play a battle for Philly, but this map is just plain way too hard to read, doesn't capture the spirit of Philly, or (esp) each region, and just plain not attractive (even in an underdog sense). The bricks should only be in (sections of) Germantown, Center City, and the like.

Be really cool if the ECW Arena incorporated. ;-)
Lieutenant davephlegmball

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

RB, the large version has numbers on it. Can you give me the right link so i can send the new files?
Thanks
Nobodies

Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas