Conquer Club

ATTN newbies: It's not personal

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

ATTN newbies: It's not personal

Postby pancakemix on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Mafia is a game that can be downright dirty. That's because it's based around arguing, and arguing is about the nastiest thing two people can do to each other's faces. My point is made by Shopenhauer's 38 Strategems, specifically technique number 38:

A last trick is to become personal, insulting and rude as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand. In becoming personal you leave the subject altogether, and turn your attack on the person by remarks of an offensive and spiteful character. This is a very popular trick, because everyone is able to carry it into effect.

But the thing is, there are at least 37 options before that one and it's certainly not worth making enemies over a game to do so. That's why we try to keep our cool and not go down that path.

But here's what you can expect: your words are going to be torn apart and taken out of context. You are going to be called a liar.

You need to expect these things because that's what the bad guys do. It's what the good guys are looking for and going to accuse you of doing. It's on you to argue that your words are being twisted. It's on you to prove you are telling the truth.

On behalf of all members of this forum, I beseech you: Don't get discouraged and think we're insulting you. Because it isn't personal.

Regards,
pancakemix
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: ATTN newbies: It's not personal

Postby jak111 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm

The best thing I could probably add to pancake's post is, it's a game. A mind game at that. People will tear your mind apart to find all your flaws in your posting and thought process. It happens to all of us and this is probably the most heated forum in all of Conquer Club when it comes down to getting in someone's face.

Do not view votes as people disliking you, but rather that either they do not think you're truthful or they find you are a threat (if they are scum). If scum is pressuring you, take it as a compliment because obviously they see you as an opponent they want out early on in the game.

No one here is perfect unless you're dealing with me 8-) So if you're eliminated from a game, just join another and learn.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:59 pm

It takes a mind like Spock.

I like to think I can be cool and collected and most times I am but I have had my moments. My very first mafia game I was completely off the rails as i had no idea what I was doing, It felt I was the only Town in a sea of bad guys. I knew I was Town why didnt everyone else and why where they accusing me of being mafia? It was a Sully game and it wasn't until many games later I realized Sully makes crazy games to begin with. :lol:
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:19 am

Perfectly said by 3 of the best. dont take it personal,if you do your going to miss out on some fun.
Private jgordon1111

Postby aage on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 am

aage wrote:
edocsil wrote:"It's never personal."

Might not be true, but if you always go in assuming that, a lot of crap can be avoided.

Meh. It's always personal. All meta arguments are based on personality and technically all non-cop-claim cases are meta (or wifom, which would be the same).

I stand by this. Calling someone scummy is usually because of an error they made, which usually comes down to "you suck" or "your playstyle sucks". By that I don't mean to say I'm an asshole. It just means that I love people making mistakes calling them out for it almost as much as I hate making mistakes myself.

I'll gladly admit that there's a difference between losing the game and purposefully flaming, though.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 am

I will say that if you're clearly caught as scum and no amount of argument will save you, sometimes it's better to just accept the lynch and give the GG rather than trying to derail the wagon with some personal attacks. Keeps the integrity of the game and whatnot.
Captain safariguy5

Postby aage on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am

safariguy5 wrote:I will say that if you're clearly caught as scum and no amount of argument will save you, sometimes it's better to just accept the lynch and give the GG rather than trying to derail the wagon with some personal attacks. Keeps the integrity of the game and whatnot.

I believe one of the guidelines for playing Mafia is to never, never, never quit. I agree though that flaming people because you're a poor sport... well, for one thing it means that you're a poor sport.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby Iron Butterfly on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm

aage wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:I will say that if you're clearly caught as scum and no amount of argument will save you, sometimes it's better to just accept the lynch and give the GG rather than trying to derail the wagon with some personal attacks. Keeps the integrity of the game and whatnot.

I believe one of the guidelines for playing Mafia is to never, never, never quit. I agree though that flaming people because you're a poor sport... well, for one thing it means that you're a poor sport.

Ya gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

The key to Safs statement "If you are clearly caught".
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 am

Iron Butterfly wrote:
aage wrote:

Indeed. I mean, I could see someone resorting to some pretty personal nasty attacks as a way to potentially discredit the accuser/stall a deadline lynch, but I'd like to think that keeping things civil and taking the high road is generally the best policy. And I mean clearly caught. Like cop investigated you as guilty, someone counterclaimed you, and everything. Certainly, if you can plant reasonable doubt, then by all means. But if town has you as mafia or SKer dead to rights, I think it's best not to try and drag things into the muck.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:32 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
Iron Butterfly wrote:
aage wrote:

Indeed. I mean, I could see someone resorting to some pretty personal nasty attacks as a way to potentially discredit the accuser/stall a deadline lynch, but I'd like to think that keeping things civil and taking the high road is generally the best policy. And I mean clearly caught. Like cop investigated you as guilty, someone counterclaimed you, and everything. Certainly, if you can plant reasonable doubt, then by all means. But if town has you as mafia or SKer dead to rights, I think it's best not to try and drag things into the muck.

unless its a RT! :lol: But yeah, it can also be a useful meta to have if you are in a serious bind and need a bit of trust.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Agreed. It's just a game and it's not worth risking personal relationships over a game win.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby aage on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Well, that's a shameless bump if I ever saw one.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby rishaed on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Now if only he would sign up for some games 8)
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 am

Hello to you too,aage!

rishaed wrote:Now if only he would sign up for some games 8)

Hello rishaed! I give you my welcome to the Mafia Forums, albeit belated. Welcome!

Sign up for a game? I'd love to, but at this current time there'd be no guarantee that I'd be able to finish a game. I'm just too busy with school and stuff. However, RTs are always an option :D

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby aage on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:43 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:Hello to you too,aage!

Hi to you too ;)
Still, five months? What? :P
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 pm

aage wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:Hello to you too,aage!

Hi to you too ;)
Still, five months? What? :P

I know.... it's been way too long. How's the forum been?

-SG7 ( :) )

Postby rishaed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh its been up and down. A few new ppl came in, but quite a few of the regulars have been busy so it pretty much evened out. However games are starting to stagnate so not all that good.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

I see.
I also see you're modding a game. Is this your first one?

Postby rishaed on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

2nd right now the first one just finished.

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Cool! So I can't tell from the OP (it needs completely updated with roles and stuff IMO), but did you make up any new roles in that game?

Postby rishaed on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Follow the Scenes link, it'll take you right to where the roles are.

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 pm

rishaed wrote:Follow the Scenes link, it'll take you right to where the roles are.

not obvious :/ not instant upon looking at OP :/

but I followed the link, and I see you made up some roles. Cool! I like the explosive expert role, it seems to be an extension of an arsonist.
The magician's role makes sense, but it seems a bit overpowered, being able to avoid NKs and what not.
I don't really get the Airhead role and how it relates to randomly blocking day/ night actions.
Interesting creativity.

Postby Shape on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 am

No offense (will be) taken ;)

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 am

Shape wrote:No offense (will be) taken ;)

-Shape

Welcome to the Mafia Forums, Shape!

Are you looking to play a mafia game or two? Have you finished any Conquer Club games yet?

Postby chapcrap on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 am

I quit playing because everyone hated me. :(

Just kidding, I don't have any time.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions