Conquer Club

When to make the small (or second) map.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

When to make the small (or second) map.

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Just wondering what the thoughts are on when people make their small map, or large map depending on how you like to start.

Part of why I ask is that for Three Kingdoms I have been pushing back starting the small map until I'm basically at the point of a graphics stamp, to avoid double work. This being my third map I guess I learned from the first two. I am going to try to rework the mountains, but would have really been apprehensive about taking them on again if I had to do it twice, etc.

I guess the problem is changes can always be requested, and a map maker can never really feel safe about a map, but could there be a Graphics Stamp prior to the small map? or even a large map stamp, and a small map stamp (not actually this, but you get the idea).

Just wondering.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: When to make the small (or second) map.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am

After RD got remade so often, I have stopped doing the small till I am pretty sure no more major changes will come. Even then changes can come and it is pointless to resist. Make the map when you are happy to make it. Most changes now on a map at your late stage will be minor ones only.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I generally do the small when I have the majority of the major stuff done. If I need to do a major tweak, I do it on the large and then shrink it down. I end up having to move all the non-sizable stuff like army circles, my stars for capitals etc, but that is ok. Now that I am using the pen tool more I am doing the small first since everything is a vector graphic so it up-sizes nicely Miami is one example of where I am doing the small first.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 am

isaiah40 wrote:Now that I am using the pen tool more I am doing the small first since everything is a vector graphic so it up-sizes nicely Miami is one example of where I am doing the small first.

Is that how you did the bayside marketplace?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Foundry Discussions