Conquer Club

On The Subject of Bigotry

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

On The Subject of Bigotry

Postby pimpdave on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Is saying anything negative about anyone "bigotry"? And if so, how is Night Strike not a bigot against anyone who doesn't share his bizarre, narrow world view?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Re: On The Subject of Bigotry

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 pm

The Community Guidelines state, quite clearly,

Bigotry includes racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia/sexual orientation bashing, religion bashing, lack of religion bashing, or wishing violence on any group of people, etc.

The line on this forum seems to be that it's acceptable to say things about religion in general (e.g. religion is stupid, atheism is 1337) but not any specific religion (Catholics are evil rapists).
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby pimpdave on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:18 pm

I am not bashing the religion of Christianity. I made that quite clear. And if there is not an epidemic of rape, why is it coming out so much? Why are you denying the facts?

Do you also say that al-Qaeda does not sponsor evil murder upon civilians?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...

Postby pimpdave on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:19 pm

And please defend Cardinal O'Brien's bigotry against the LGBT community, what with him being so goddamn holy and above reproach.

It's clearly time for the Catholic church to be disbanded, the same as al-Qaeda should be disbanded, and ideally something more peaceful and less criminal started in their place. I can only hope the Christians on this forum actually believe what Jesus taught and stand up against a corrupt organization that perverts His message of peace and love. Same as Muslims should be putting an end to the wickedness of the radical sect al-Qaeda.

Postby nagerous on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Cardinal O'Brien is a hypocrite of the highest order.
Captain nagerous

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm

pimpdave wrote:I am not bashing the religion of Christianity. I made that quite clear. And if there is not an epidemic of rape, why is it coming out so much? Why are you denying the facts?

The issue here is that you are impugning the motives of all Catholics but only indicting its officials. It is analogous to calling everyone who lived in 1930s Germany a Jew hater. Perhaps some of those people did legitimately hold anti-Semitic views, but roundly criticizing an entire group for the undesired actions of a select minority is bigotry.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby CreepersWiener on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
pimpdave wrote:I am not bashing the religion of Christianity. I made that quite clear. And if there is not an epidemic of rape, why is it coming out so much? Why are you denying the facts?

The issue here is that you are impugning the motives of all Catholics but only indicting its officials. It is analogous to calling everyone who lived in 1930s Germany a Jew hater. Perhaps some of those people did legitimately hold anti-Semitic views, but roundly criticizing an entire group for the undesired actions of a select minority is bigotry.

You seem to be a bigot by hating pimpdave.
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Postby john9blue on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 pm

CreepersWiener wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

You seem to be a bigot by hating pimpdave.

stop being bigoted against metsfan.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Lootifer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

I think I might start upping mky game a bit more and become an uber-bigot [like I suspect John is].

I.E. I hate everyone and everything equally!
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby john9blue on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Lootifer wrote:I think I might start upping mky game a bit more and become an uber-bigot [like I suspect John is].

I.E. I hate everyone and everything equally!

that's the spirit my man!

if you hate everything, then nobody can call you unfair.
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm

One of my posts was flagged as bigotry a few days back. It was a gif that had something to do with jews posted in the thread that was partially denying the death of 6 million jews.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 am

First, I appreciate pimpdave's inquiry into bigotry. I maintain that we need to differentiate between "good bigotry" and "bad bigotry," and then can we make more informed decisions about punishment and approbation. The argument has been laid out by Lootifer, me, and allegedly AoG:

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Lootifer wrote:Bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Intolerance: lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

Pretty open and shut case to be honest. By opposing gay marriage you are being a bigot; sure its only a minor offence as far as the wider area of bigotry is concerned (I for one am glad you arent going out every night and beating the shit out of suspected fags NS), but it is bigotry nonetheless.

Yes this definition pretty makes everyone on CC OT forums a bigot (except for me, Im pretty much an angel) but it is what it is.

Let's run with this. As you've implied, according to those definitions then anyone opposed to fascism or Nazism is also a bigot. They'd be a bigot for good reasons in my opinion, but they'd be a bigot nonetheless.

So, then we'd have argue about who is a "good bigot" and who is a "bad bigot."

Henceforth, all accusations of bigotry should include "good" or "bad" before the word "bigotry/bigot."

Excellent work, Lootifer.

hey look, you guys are restating things that IVE ALREADY MENTIONED IN OFF-TROPICS

anyway, I still find it hilarious that people still take Sunday off for religious reasons. I mean, I like taking sundays off so I can golf or watch football, but it'll be a hilarious coincidence when one of these people get injured but can't go to the ER because no one's allowed to work on Sundays.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=175364&hilit=bad+bigotry&start=30#p3832900
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Night Strike on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 am

pimpdave wrote:Is saying anything negative about anyone "bigotry"? And if so, how is Night Strike not a bigot against anyone who doesn't share his bizarre, narrow world view?

I wasn't involved at all in the locking of your thread in reference, so I don't know why my name was brought up. FYI.
Major Night Strike

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:The Community Guidelines state, quite clearly,

Bigotry includes racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia/sexual orientation bashing, religion bashing, lack of religion bashing, or wishing violence on any group of people, etc.

The line on this forum seems to be that it's acceptable to say things about religion in general (e.g. religion is stupid, atheism is 1337) but not any specific religion (Catholics are evil rapists).

So, would this be bigoted?
"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
-Revelation 21:8

At least all Darwinist will enjoy each others company. ;)
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby john9blue on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 am

jonesthecurl wrote:So, would this be bigoted?
"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
-Revelation 21:8

At least all Darwinist will enjoy each others company. ;)

as a sorcerer, that quote offended me and i want retribution.
Captain john9blue

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 am

oh, I hit way more than one of those categories.
But it ought to include all those who "fear" God, too. So Vice will be right there with us whoremongers.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:43 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:oh, I hit way more than one of those categories.
But it ought to include all those who "fear" God, too. So Vice will be right there with us whoremongers.

I had a teacher in high school who threw the Book of Job at my head and called me a "filthy whore-mongering alcoholic."
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby stahrgazer on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 am

Dukasaur wrote:

I had a teacher in high school who threw the Book of Job at my head and called me a "filthy whore-mongering alcoholic."

Was he drunk? :lol:
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 am

stahrgazer wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Lol.

I'm still mystified about why we were studying the Book of Job in English class, since the original wasn't written in English. I think the official excuse was something about how it encapsulates the elements common to all great literature, but I still suspect it was a covert attempt to sneak religious instruction into a public school curriculum.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Maybe the subject was actually "great insults of our time". You should have said, "Nice one, teach. But you're a syphilitic dung-muncher."
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Lol.

I'm still mystified about why we were studying the Book of Job in English class, since the original wasn't written in English. I think the official excuse was something about how it encapsulates the elements common to all great literature, but I still suspect it was a covert attempt to sneak religious instruction into a public school curriculum.

I think you are correct about the sneaking religion in bit, but the King James version is considered something of a masterpiece of English language.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby notyou2 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

All you bigots need to shut the feck up.

I HATE YOU ALL!!!
Captain notyou2

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am

notyou2 wrote:All you bigots need to shut the feck up.

I HATE YOU ALL!!!

Archie Bunker said it best

"I'm not prejudiced, I hate everyone!"
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 am

The man is as critic without credentials.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:The Community Guidelines state, quite clearly,

Bullshit. The thread on the Mormon religion (which I complained about personally to several moderators) shows that it only applies to religions that the moderators like. As is typical in this place, the rules only apply if the moderators feel like it. Hypocricy and inconsistencies abound.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,