Conquer Club

[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of medals [Rejected]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Cheaters should be stripped of their medals Updated

Postby Arama86n on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 pm

SirSebstar wrote:edited arama,
no insult intended

Edited away my response as well, glad we sorted that out. Happy Holidays SirSebstar :)
Major Arama86n

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 am

Quick questions:

(1) if the positions in here were succinctly summarized in one post, would that hasten the process of implementing this suggestion?

(2) is this thread the same as this thread?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Quick questions:

(1) if the positions in here were succinctly summarized in one post, would that hasten the process of implementing this suggestion?

I think the issue with this being implemented is the change in policy. I suppose that summarizing the positions can not hurt, but I think the issue is really whether or not the admin and owners want this to happen.

One small coding issue is that the bronze, silver, gold, and soon to come diamond medals are all issued automatically based on statistical information. So, as an example, if you strip a players team medals, currently they will all come back once he wins another game. So, it's actually not enough to strip a player of medals. You also have to strip him of victories or create a mechanism that causes the count to reset.
BigBallinStalin wrote:(2) is this thread the same as this thread?

I don't really know if they are the same. They are similar. We have the ability to strip medals.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Got'cha. Thanks.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby agentcom on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 am

chapcrap wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Quick questions:

I think the issue with this being implemented is the change in policy. I suppose that summarizing the positions can not hurt, but I think the issue is really whether or not the admin and owners want this to happen.

One small coding issue is that the bronze, silver, gold, and soon to come diamond medals are all issued automatically based on statistical information. So, as an example, if you strip a players team medals, currently they will all come back once he wins another game. So, it's actually not enough to strip a player of medals. You also have to strip him of victories or create a mechanism that causes the count to reset.
BigBallinStalin wrote:(2) is this thread the same as this thread?

I don't really know if they are the same. They are similar. We have the ability to strip medals.

The red part is actually what I think might have been part of Doom's suggestion in the other thread. Tbh, I'm not entirely sure what either of you were saying in that other thread.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:20 pm

stripping victories seems like a separate suggestion. If TPTb already have the power to strip medals, it should be employed.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby chapcrap on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Symmetry wrote:stripping victories seems like a separate suggestion. If TPTb already have the power to strip medals, it should be employed.

Well, I'm not sure the admin agree.

In any case, it can't be employed separately. If you read what I wrote earlier, you would understand that if you wanted the bronze, silver, gold, and diamond medals stripped, something else must also be done in order for them to remain stripped. Otherwise, they will re-appear. Now, if you wanted other medals (GA, GC, TA, etc.) stripped, that is different. But those medals are (mostly) not really the medals achieved through cheating.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Symmetry wrote:stripping victories seems like a separate suggestion. If TPTb already have the power to strip medals, it should be employed.

In any case, it can't be employed separately. If you read what I wrote earlier, you would understand that if you wanted the bronze, silver, gold, and diamond medals stripped, something else must also be done in order for them to remain stripped. Otherwise, they will re-appear. Now, if you wanted other medals (GA, GC, TA, etc.) stripped, that is different. But those medals are (mostly) not really the medals achieved through cheating.

Fair enough. Would it be fair to say that this is tied to a point reset then?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Symmetry wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Medals are derived from victories. You can't strip medals and not touch victory counts. Point reset is different subject.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:54 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Medals are derived from victories. You can't strip medals and not touch victory counts. Point reset is different subject.

Not all of them, obviously, but fair point. What do you suggest?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patrickaa317 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Symmetry wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Not all of them, obviously, but fair point. What do you suggest?

I suggest a giant asterisk next to their name or some other form of scarlet letter that will flag them out to everyone. Make it bigger with each offense.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby nicestash on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm

But have it go away after a period of time.

Sometimes cheating happens because of a misunderstanding of the rules.
Major nicestash

Postby Symmetry on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am

nicestash wrote:But have it go away after a period of time.

The mods are generally sympathetic to appeals. A time limit seems to me a poor idea. Ifs the medals are unearned fairly, why return them?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 am

Symmetry wrote:

The mods are generally sympathetic to appeals. A time limit seems to me a poor idea. Ifs the medals are unearned fairly, why return them?

He was referring to my scarlet letter suggestion, not yours.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby nicestash on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Yep, I'm not sure why the 2 topics were merged...
Major nicestash

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:59 pm

nicestash wrote:Yep, I'm not sure why the 2 topics were merged...

They weren't. I had the idea here, then started a new thread.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Symmetry on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

He was referring to my scarlet letter suggestion, not yours.

Apologies.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Armandolas on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I agree...a cheater does not deserve medals
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
nicestash wrote:Yep, I'm not sure why the 2 topics were merged...

They weren't. I had the idea here, then started a new thread.

Thanks for clearing that up. The issues were getting muddled. Hope you check back in here, even if you disagree with me :)
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 am

Armandolas wrote:I agree...a cheater does not deserve medals

Pretty much.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:53 pm

chapcrap wrote:

It seems fair that a "victory" that was gained through cheating should not count as a victory at all.

After a reasonable amount of time for the "appeals" process or while an appeal is pending, obviously, the stripping shouldn't occur. But once an appeal has been rejected or whatever term is used if the mods feel that they really did prove the case of cheating, then at least the "victories" gained in the proven games should be undone.

If that's too hard to figure out (how many specific games were probably won through cheating), then some set, predetermined, "global" percentage of games could be backed away. I'd suggest 25%. While a cheater may not have cheated on 25% of their games, stripping 25% of their victories is likely to lose them some of those medals and maybe the "excessive" nature of a 25% "victories reset" would be an additional discouragement from cheating.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Cheater penalties

Postby Fuzzylogic99 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 pm

[

Concise description:
  • Add stripping cheaters of their points]

Specifics/Details:
    • The obvious reason cheaters cheat is to get ahead.If a player is above 1200 points and is caught cheating they the mods have the option of stripping them of their points and making start back at 1200.This is only used if the player has been caught cheating two times or more ]

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
      • help reduce cheating and unfair play]
        [*gives the mods another tool to help deal with cheater[/list]
Private 1st Class Fuzzylogic99

Re: Cheater penalties

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 pm

As of now, only Admin's have this ability. And this is only going to hurt other users, because of instead of playing against someone ranked a Colonel/Brig, they are playing a Corporal. They end up losing a lot more points then normal.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Re: Cheater penalties

Postby BoganGod on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Good point TFO, have never thought about this issue from that perspective. A point strip could even benefit teammates of a point adjusted player.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

It seems fair that a "victory" that was gained through cheating should not count as a victory at all.

After a reasonable amount of time for the "appeals" process or while an appeal is pending, obviously, the stripping shouldn't occur. But once an appeal has been rejected or whatever term is used if the mods feel that they really did prove the case of cheating, then at least the "victories" gained in the proven games should be undone.

If that's too hard to figure out (how many specific games were probably won through cheating), then some set, predetermined, "global" percentage of games could be backed away. I'd suggest 25%. While a cheater may not have cheated on 25% of their games, stripping 25% of their victories is likely to lose them some of those medals and maybe the "excessive" nature of a 25% "victories reset" would be an additional discouragement from cheating.

This does seem like a fair set of principles to move forward on. This thread has been in limbo for a while, so I'd like to hear if any objections have gone unadressed.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions