Conquer Club

Role Wishlist

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Role Wishlist

Postby / on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 am

Anyone here ever think up a role that you wish could be included in a game, but for whatever reason had too many bugs to be properly implemented?
Post your roles here, so that they might be improved on, rebalanced, or adopted.

Today I was thinking of one while reading an article about crime scene investigation.

Name: Forensic Profiler (maybe?)

Concept: In a game with multiple kills, the profiler would choose one that occurred. On the following days the profiler would choose whichever one they thought was made by the same killer, or "no kill" if they think their target didn't kill that day. If they choose the same target three times in a row the killer's identity (or a random involved killer in the mafia's case) would be revealed to them.

It would probably be a day action to avoid problems with roleblocker streak interference.

Known Problems: I like to be pretty obviously descriptive in my games on who did what; that sort of ruins the guessing part.

Other notes: In a town VS mafia only variation, perhaps the profiler could guess the specific identity of a particular member of the mafia day to day.

Day One: Goon makes kill, profiler says "yes"
Day Two:Godfather makes kill, profiler says "yes" (chain reset to Godfather)
Day Three: Roleblocker makes kill, profiler says "no"
Day Four: Goon makes kill, profiler says "no"
With three consecutive guesses correct, Godfather's player is revealed.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Re: Role Wishlist

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 am

Puck (from Midsummer Nights Dream).

Chooses two players. Those players are now lovers.

Fairie faction wins if all players all lovers?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby MoB Deadly on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 am

Ive always loved the Disguiser, a very, very powerful Mafia role.

http://wiki.sc2mafia.com/en/index.php/Disguiser

Player A is a Cop
Player B is the Disguiser

Player B targets Player A. In the scene Player B is killed but his role is unknown (it is a standard phrase so the smart players will know that a disguiser just used his role)
Now Player A is really dead but he is still alive in the game. It is Player B who now has control over Player A

Problems: It can't really work on forums because I can't log in and post as someone else. Seems like a fundamental problem right there, but I will leave it up to you wizards to see if anyone could make an alteration to this role.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby rishaed on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Hmm, the two roles that really didn't get much attention from my last game,
The Explosives Expert.
He can plant a bomb on any player in the night (N1 per say) and then as soon as it was the next day/night phase he could explode. The limitation was that only one bomb could be in play at a time.
and The Wandering Drunkard.
I don't think that it got played to its full potential in the game I modded, as such I am uncertain if it is a "Broken" role or just needs fleshed out more in a larger game.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby aage on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:Ive always loved the Disguiser, a very, very powerful Mafia role.

Player A is a Cop

Player B targets Player A. In the scene Player B is killed but his role is unknown (it is a standard phrase so the smart players will know that a disguiser just used his role)
Now Player A is really dead but he is still alive in the game. It is Player B who now has control over Player A

Problems: It can't really work on forums because I can't log in and post as someone else. Seems like a fundamental problem right there, but I will leave it up to you wizards to see if anyone could make an alteration to this role.

I had a different concept for this kind of role, which I think is pretty interesting but a rather bastard role to receive.

You are the Virus. Your body is being altered by a genetic disease that has rendered you bulletproof for the previous night.

During the next night, target one of the other players. That player will now become the Virus. You will however die of the symptoms of your disease, and your role is shown as whatever the person you targeted was.
If you don't use your action, you will die anyway.

Let the trackers and watchers figure that out :)
(If you wonder, the virus would be stopped immediately by a succesful doc or just by lynching it.)

The interesting bit is that it's not a player who is the town's enemy but rather some kind of ghost you can't chase.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby BGtheBrain on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby rishaed on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:06 pm

aage wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:Ive always loved the Disguiser, a very, very powerful Mafia role.

Player A is a Cop

I had a different concept for this kind of role, which I think is pretty interesting but a rather bastard role to receive.

You are the Virus. Your body is being altered by a genetic disease that has rendered you bulletproof for the previous night.

During the next night, target one of the other players. That player will now become the Virus. You will however die of the symptoms of your disease, and your role is shown as whatever the person you targeted was.

(If you wonder, the virus would be stopped immediately by a succesful doc or just by lynching it.)

The interesting bit is that it's not a player who is the town's enemy but rather some kind of ghost you can't chase.

The only problem I see as whoever becomes the Virus is that you can't win, and since you are going to die anyway's why pass it on? It would make for a very short game seeing as I think the role is slightly "broken" Instead, it might be better to tweak it as sort of a Typhoid Mary kind of role.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby aage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:42 am

rishaed wrote:
aage wrote:

Player A is a Cop

The only problem I see as whoever becomes the Virus is that you can't win, and since you are going to die anyway's why pass it on? It would make for a very short game seeing as I think the role is slightly "broken" Instead, it might be better to tweak it as sort of a Typhoid Mary kind of role.

That's why it's a bastard role to receive. The line "if you don't you die anyway" I added for exactly this reason. In the end it wouldn't be a player who wins, but a role. And Town would simply lose...
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby blakebowling on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 am

aage wrote:
rishaed wrote:
aage wrote:

Player A is a Cop

That's why it's a bastard role to receive. The line "if you don't you die anyway" I added for exactly this reason. In the end it wouldn't be a player who wins, but a role. And Town would simply lose...

IMO, it may be better to have it so that they die only if they don't successfully pass on the virus. If they do, they inherit the role of the player targeted and play on. However that may not work either.
Private blakebowling

Postby spiesr on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

blakebowling wrote:IMO, it may be better to have it so that they die only if they don't successfully pass on the virus. If they do, they inherit the role of the player targeted and play on. However that may not work either.
Can't do that. If a scum member becomes the virus and then inherits a town role then the game is broken. The way I see it, the Virus would only work if it was the main antagonist that the game is built around, rather than being thrown into a town vs scum battle.
Captain spiesr

Postby new guy1 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm

spiesr wrote:
blakebowling wrote:IMO, it may be better to have it so that they die only if they don't successfully pass on the virus. If they do, they inherit the role of the player targeted and play on. However that may not work either.
Can't do that. If a scum member becomes the virus and then inherits a town role then the game is broken. The way I see it, the Virus would only work if it was the main antagonist that the game is built around, rather than being thrown into a town vs scum battle.

The only problem I see here is that the virus would have to keep on passing on, so all involved would have to win if the virus won, giving alot of winners and thats kind of not the point of the game. As long as you dont die by endgame or by lynch, you will win.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby aage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 pm

I thought this thread was about roles that were broken. Believe me when I say I have covered almost every scenario. Giving all "new" viruses the option to win with the role will just create a situation where people want to be infected for an easy win. People won't stick with win conditions they have because they know that they may change and will act upon that. I experienced the same in the only Cult game I ever played.

There is a mechanism similar to The Virus in real life Werewolf games, it's called The Black Death. Essentially, there are no scum and the mod just kills someone off every night. Town wins when they figure this out. Since this mechanism is kind of bastard as well, I wanted to try to involve the players in it. There are two options. Either go with a variant of The Virus, or doom one townie to die and let him decide the next kill, then let that victim decide the next kill, etc. which is basically the same as The Black Death, but creates complications with replacement (just like The Virus does).

Moreover, the setup will be broken if people know about it in advance, so we will never be able to run it on this forum now anyway.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby aage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 pm

spiesr wrote:

Hence why previous Viruses have to die. A game where nobody dies is equally broken.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby rishaed on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 pm

True, you might have to wait awhile to use it in a game. I didn't see the part about it being completely broken in the OP

Postby aage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm

rishaed wrote:True, you might have to wait awhile to use it in a game. I didn't see the part about it being completely broken in the OP

Ah, fair enough, you're right.

The main issue is just that all "interesting" game setups involve a great deal of lying to the players, which is usually not appreciated.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby rishaed on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

As a mod I don't lie to the players, I find that if they can't trust the mod who's supposed to answer their questions then who can they trust? That being said things like results being skewed or something like that is quite important.

Postby aage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm

rishaed wrote:As a mod I don't lie to the players, I find that if they can't trust the mod who's supposed to answer their questions then who can they trust? That being said things like results being skewed or something like that is quite important.

If night actions by other players cause certain investigative roles to be misinformed, so be it. That's the game. When I made the first Matrix mafia game I considered withholding information from players about their role (eg. Neo would have semi-crappy powers at first until he would get shot, Smith would turn into a third party bulletproof SK after this happened, stuff like that) and I wouldn't mind that happening to me if it didn't screw me over. In the Virus-setup, it does, though. You turn players into pawns and give them no real choice, except to just play out their purpose.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 am

One-shot lynchproof SK.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Return to Mafia Discussions