Conquer Club

[Official] Very Modern Pentathlon [COMPLETE] - BDI Wins!!

Tournaments completed in 2013

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: [Official] Pentathlon [Day 5] RESERVES URGENTLY NEEDED!!

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Me and nicestash recognized we could hold people hostage to gain more points on the first round of those games, but we chose not to, so your point is no true for everyone Betiko. there are some people that knew for the tournament you could gain points but that it was against the site rules so we did not comit the rule breaking.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby benga on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:
benga wrote:What is against rules in CC doesn't have to apply here.

Not true - ESPECIALLY since this is an official tournament.
benga wrote:The way you score is wrong, not the actions of players who wanted to score more.

Fixed - I have no interest in any particular team(s) winning this tourney or any event therein.
I will admit that I did not realize this would be a problem when designing this tournament, and that was my fault.
That said, it is one thing to know a loophole to exist, but it is another thing to take advantage of it.
The fact is that hostage holding is against CC rules and will not be tolerated.

Night Strike wrote:Disputes over tournament rules/scoring should be discussed in the Tournament Thread and with the Tournament Directors if there are any issues/challenges. If the organizer set up the scoring system to reward those players who finish their games in the same round, then that tournament is open to have some games artificially prolonged. We can discuss whether that should be allowed in the tournament, but these players shouldn't be punished or even noted for working to maximize their points within the tournament.
Sergeant benga

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 am

Night Strike wrote:Disputes over tournament rules/scoring should be discussed in the Tournament Thread and with the Tournament Directors if there are any issues/challenges. If the organizer set up the scoring system to reward those players who finish their games in the same round, then that tournament is open to have some games artificially prolonged. We can discuss whether that should be allowed in the tournament, but these players shouldn't be punished or even noted for working to maximize their points within the tournament.

This may be true, but players should and will be punished for violating CC rules - one of which is "no hostage holding."
This is an official tournament, and just like every other tournament on the site, it is fully subject to CC rules.

Also:
in the first post, I wrote:Any issues will be solved by the tournament organizer and his word is final.

If you disagree with my decision, I can't do anything about that, but my decision has been made and it will not be changed.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby nicestash on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40 am

Haha, very funny sempai!
I can remember mentioning that taking players hostage would help us in this event, and I got seriously reprimanded from swimmerdude :D
Major nicestash

Postby betiko on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm

to tell the truth, I don't really see the point to reward with extra points for synchronizing games if you are not allowed to influence on the variable (you can be gambling on your victory if you are not careful). Having to play a couple of extra rounds for the losing team is not a big deal in this case as it has a purpose.
In my understanding, the holding hostage rule was mostly implemented because some people toy around with others and make them "suffer" letting them half dead and not finishing them with no other reason than revenge or playing evil. I've seen some pretty nasty things reported in the C&A with priceless gamechat.. this obviously harms the community, but I don't think it does for people making a game last 1 round or 2 to maximize their points and win a tournament. I think that the people that noticed this loophole should've asked sempai if it was ok just to make sure of his intention.
Major betiko

Postby nicestash on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 am

betiko wrote:to tell the truth, I don't really see the point to reward with extra points for synchronizing games if you are not allowed to influence on the variable (you can be gambling on your victory if you are not careful). Having to play a couple of extra rounds for the losing team is not a big deal in this case as it has a purpose.
In my understanding, the holding hostage rule was mostly implemented because some people toy around with others and make them "suffer" letting them half dead and not finishing them with no other reason than revenge or playing evil. I've seen some pretty nasty things reported in the C&A with priceless gamechat.. this obviously harms the community, but I don't think it does for people making a game last 1 round or 2 to maximize their points and win a tournament. I think that the people that noticed this loophole should've asked sempai if it was ok just to make sure of his intention.

The point is to see how close the 2 team's natural play styles match up. Some players are aggressive and so their games end a lot earlier than more passive teams who take less risks.
Getting more points because you hold a player hostage is stupid; anyone can hold another player hostage and get the exact same # of rounds, but that's like saying all synchronized swimmers only have to finish the race at the same time- they can be anywhere in the pool until then.

The people who noticed the loophole, and took advantage of it, aren't being penalized at all= sempai is just going to count up what their score should actually have been instead.
Major nicestash

Postby IcePack on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:18 am

I will admit - I never noticed the loophole lol I didn't read how any of it was scored, just played to win and figured the points would come accordingly lol

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:20 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Since finding reserves for this tourney has become much more of a pain than I am willing to deal with, I have developed a new method for dealing with empty spots created by players who withdraw or are removed.

FROM NOW ON:
If a player is removed or withdraws from the tournament, one of his teammates will replace him. Which teammate this replacement is will be decided among the remaining teammates.

sempai

Postby betiko on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:14 am

ok, here's an update regarding the 3 teams that are looking better for a win. sempai, I think serbia is missing a game in synchrized swimming, you might want to resend them an invite. I had taken the game number there when you did the invites, it doesn't exist anymore and 2 players from serbia have only played 2. I reckon Serbia will take the lead after a great day 5. If we lose our last country relay game it's over for us.

update on day 5/7

Nepal (314 after day 4, 1st)
fencing:
1-2 eliminated
show jumping:
2-1
synchronized swimming:
1-5
cross country relay:
2-1
Game 12499192

Burundi (306 after day 4, 2nd)
fencing:
1-2 eliminated
show jumping:
2-1
sychronized swimming:
3-3
cross country relay:
3-3
Game 12494538 decisive!!!

Serbia (296 after day 4, 3rd)
fencing:
2-1 advanced
show jumping:
1-2
synchronized swimming:
5-0
Game 12364865
cross country relay:
eliminated on the previous round
Major betiko

Postby nicestash on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for that betiko!
It'll also be interesting to see how sempai's recount of synchronized swimming will affect the rankings- I don't think it'll help Nepal, but it could help Burundi and/or Serbia.
You guys should also be able to win the cross country relay.
Major nicestash

Postby betiko on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 am

nicestash wrote:Thanks for that betiko!
It'll also be interesting to see how sempai's recount of synchronized swimming will affect the rankings- I don't think it'll help Nepal, but it could help Burundi and/or Serbia.
You guys should also be able to win the cross country relay.

it was looking terrible! one of our players lost 3 straight and we were going 1-3 at some point lol! If we were eliminated from the cross country relay this would've been basically over for us! looks like you guys are up for a 3-1 so you should probably make it. guess who you would be facing next round?? ;)

boy that will be intense!

also too bad we lost in fencing vs serbia, we've put them back alive there, when it seemed it was going to be between nepal and burundi for overal victory. And it really looks like all results happened in a way to make all 3 teams as tight as possible till the end!

oh and yeah, no idea about synchronized swimming and scoring, we'll see, but serbia was really impressive there (don't know if they're going to be sent their 6th game though)
Major betiko

Postby IcePack on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm

We should get our 6th if its required, I know we haven't had any issues accepting invites this whole thing.?

Anyway, looking interesting for sure :)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 pm

My apologies for not posting earlier. The game in question (POR v SRB - SJ) was dropped because one of the Portuguese show jumpers was removed from the tourney. A replacement has been found and the game has been remade and is currently in Round 2.

sempai

Postby betiko on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:My apologies for not posting earlier. The game in question (POR v SRB - SJ) was dropped because one of the Portuguese show jumpers was removed from the tourney. A replacement has been found and the game has been remade and is currently in Round 2.

sempai

are you sure you don't mean synchrinzed swimming? serbia played all their show jumping, but has one lesser SS!
Major betiko

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 am

betiko wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:My apologies for not posting earlier. The game in question (POR v SRB - SJ) was dropped because one of the Portuguese show jumpers was removed from the tourney. A replacement has been found and the game has been remade and is currently in Round 2.

sempai

are you sure you don't mean synchrinzed swimming? serbia played all their show jumping, but has one lesser SS!

The synchronized swimming game in question is being played by the two countries' show jumping doubles teams. That's what I wanted to make clear.

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 pm

All games that had been dropped have now been remade and invites have been sent out for them.
Hopefully these invites will be accepted quickly, and we can get on to day 6.

sempai

Postby IcePack on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Any updates? Or final game #'s that are ongoing so we can watch

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby betiko on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 pm

IcePack wrote:Any updates? Or final game #'s that are ongoing so we can watch

I just checked, and nepal won 4-1 in cross country, so they advance.. and face us next round! so the last big question is to know if you guys won that last game or not!
Major betiko

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 am

Day 5 action in fencing, shooting, and the cross-country relay is finished.
There are still 4 active show jumping games and 10 active synchronized swimming games.
There is also one synchronized swimming game that is still waiting for a player, but that game should be filled and underway soon.

sempai

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:

There are still 4 active show jumping games and 10 active synchronized swimming games.
There is also one synchronized swimming game that is still waiting for a player, but that game should be filled and underway soon.

sempai

any point forecast for the 3 on top? should be extremely close after what happened, but serbia probably has the lead.
Major betiko

Postby IcePack on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm

betiko wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:

sempai

any point forecast for the 3 on top? should be extremely close after what happened, but serbia probably has the lead.

Yeah I would really like to see a forecast, even if its only completed games and doesn't include the final ones finishing up.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby nicestash on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Just four games left!
Major nicestash

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:28 am

A synchronized swimming forecast will not be coming for Day 5, unless I get the time to do it before the two games still going are won and lost, which is unlikely.

HOWEVER, show jumping is finished, and we have a little bit of a shakeup to report!
Overall second-place Burundi moved up three places in the show jumping standings, earning themselves three additional standings points, while Nepal only gained one, allowing Burundi to trim the gulf between the two teams to 6 points - Nepal currently leads Burundi 313-307.
Meanwhile, Serbia suffered a pretty significant setback in today's Show Jumping competition, losing 2 of their 3 Day 5 matches, falling 10 places in the event standings, and losing 10 Standings Points to fall 21 points behind Burundi and 27 behind Nepal. They now sit at 286 Standings Points, tied for third overall with formerly fourth-placed Pakistan.

Will Day 5's synchronized swimming results help Serbia pull themselves back into the race, or will Pakistan take advantage of their tumble down the table?
Can Burundi continue to close in on Nepal, or will the leaders pull away?

We shall see!

NOTE: I have changed the procedure by which ties are broken in the doubles events. From now on, instead of ties being broken by number of doubles games won and number of rounds those games were won in, they will be determined by the number of Event Points scored or lost on each tournament day, starting with the most recent.
This change has already been put into effect for Show Jumping, and it will be put into effect for Synchronized Swimming when I tally up that event's Day 5 results.

sempai

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 pm

OK, one game still ongoing, but it won't have any impact on the top teams' places in the standings, and I've managed to find a little time.

Of the top 4 teams, Serbia was the only team to move up in the synchronized swimming standings on Day 5, but their 4-point gain still leaves them 15 points back of first place.

Burundi fell 2 points in the swimming standings, leaving them with 305 total Standings Points, but Nepal fell 9 points in the swimming standings, leaving them with 304 total Standings Points!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A NEW OVERALL LEADER!!

Now it gets interesting, though, because Burundi leads by only 1 Standings Point.
And now that Day 6 is about to start, we're getting down to the wire here! Can Burundi hold on? Will Nepal retake what was theirs for so long? Or will another team emerge victorious?

In the immortal words of Hoagie Gilligan, "Hang on to your underwear!"
sempai

Re: [Official] Very Modern Pentathlon [Day 6]

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Day 6 games have been created in Fencing, Shooting, and Show Jumping, and invites have been sent out for Fencing and Shooting.
I will make the Synchronized Swimming and Cross Country Relay games and send out the invites for Show Jumping, Synchronized Swimming, and Cross Country Relay when I get the chance.

sempai

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2013