Conquer Club

Too many maps?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Too many maps?

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am

Armandolas wrote:About graphics i think Kabannelas (or someone as good as him) should be named graphic supervisor.

I already tried in past to have him on my team, simply he doesn't have the time to do that.
Said that you don't need to be Leonardo to judge graphics, it's the knowledge that's required, not the skill.
For example to be a good art critic you don't need to be a great painter, there're several art crtics in the world that have never painted in their life but they know what sucks or not.
Said that, graphics are the last problem we have....imo the issue with maps is the way they are shown on the site.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Armandolas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am

Then get a good art critic :)
Graphics are a very important part of the gameplay experience, in my opinion off course.What make people play Das schloss or kings courtII?For me apart of having a challenging gameplay it also have nice graphics.
And eurasia mini or doodle? it has simply but nicely done graphics with stupid simple gameplay :)
Just compare eurasia mini and jakarta....what makes any one choose jakarta instead of eurasia mini?
Absolutely nothing.One is a clear , simple and accurate design, another one is an outline of a city with a background and bunch of lines dividing areas of the city.
Please dont get me wrong. I know the person who created it had a lot of work and hours spent, but It looks like that was made to only increase number of maps. Actually it resembles me those people who make more tournaments just to reach the 30 medals.

So my ideia is that graphics must have someone who can clearly stands out to say: "this cannot have the Graphics stamp, it does not meet CC quality standard. Make it better"(no matter who the creator is)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I like Eurasia Mini. The stupid gameplay is the type I usually like to play. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Armandolas on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I like Eurasia Mini. The stupid gameplay is the type I usually like to play. :)

--Andy

Maybe u got me wrong, what i tried to say using the term stupid simple,is that is very nice...it was a complement :)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 am

Armandolas wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I like Eurasia Mini. The stupid gameplay is the type I usually like to play. :)

--Andy

Maybe u got me wrong, what i tried to say using the term stupid simple,is that is very nice...it was a complement :)

Andy got what you meant.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm

TheMissionary is a huge fan of Crossword and Chinese Checkers. I don't think he needs counselling, but you could ask him.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby gimil on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 pm

While talking about tagging/ranking maps based on complexity why not do the same for popularly?

Let people rate a map between 1-5 and rank maps based on how highly people review in and how many games are played on it monthly. From this you take say, your top 50 maps and present then on the game finder screen with thumbnails (anyone old enough to remember the old CC game finder that showed thumbnails for each map?). All other maps could be available through a drop down list.

By giving the top 50 a premium view on the game finder you encourage map makers to be a little more competitive in trying to make better maps. In order to enter the top 50 you have to make a map that is both played regularly and has a high rating.

EDIT: This should go some way to minimse the to many maps concern. You still have over 200 maps. But only the very best are shown off on the game finder. The rest are stored away in a boring list for someone to find and play on.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby nicestash on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Why don't we get a list of some of the maps we are considering deleting and vote on which ones to keep and toss?
Major nicestash

Postby gimil on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:10 pm

nicestash wrote:Why don't we get a list of some of the maps we are considering deleting and vote on which ones to keep and toss?

Because such a system would be based on the arbitrary opinion of a small number of foundry goers. Which doesn't really fairly represent the 15k active players on the scoreboard.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm

gimil wrote:While talking about tagging/ranking maps based on complexity why not do the same for popularly?

Let people rate a map between 1-5 and rank maps based on how highly people review in and how many games are played on it monthly. From this you take say, your top 50 maps and present then on the game finder screen with thumbnails (anyone old enough to remember the old CC game finder that showed thumbnails for each map?). All other maps could be available through a drop down list.

By giving the top 50 a premium view on the game finder you encourage map makers to be a little more competitive in trying to make better maps. In order to enter the top 50 you have to make a map that is both played regularly and has a high rating.

EDIT: This should go some way to minimse the to many maps concern. You still have over 200 maps. But only the very best are shown off on the game finder. The rest are stored away in a boring list for someone to find and play on.
This is a great idea!! It would certainly incentivize map makers to make the best possible maps, which we should be doing already, and eliminate the need to discuss too many maps, as gimil pointed out.

gimil wrote:
nicestash wrote:Why don't we get a list of some of the maps we are considering deleting and vote on which ones to keep and toss?
Because if the proper system is put in place there is no need to remove any maps. And the more I think about it, the more I think removing a map is extremely disrespectful to the map maker, whether still here or not. No matter what the time frame was, somebody worked extremely hard on that map, and as pointed out even what most would consider terrible maps have their fans.

So fix what's broken, the system for displaying and ranking maps, instead of pointing fingers at the foundry system and the map makers.

Because such a system would be based on the arbitrary opinion of a small number of foundry goers. Which doesn't really fairly represent the 15k active players on the scoreboard.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

A related discussion is also going on here: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=180569&view=unread#p4096026 .
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 am

With what Armandolas was saying about graphics and gameplay and things like that...

Maybe it's a good idea to try a new way to make maps. There should be a gameplay team that works on the gameplay aspects of maps, people like cairns and Kab can work very well there. A graphics sections where only a few people get to be located, so that we can be saved from some of the atrociousness of some maps... I think we need to remember that it's ok to tell people no if they don't have the skill to make a map look good.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby 40kguy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 pm

i hate all the maps that are average size and have no special gameplay, if were cutting maps start there.

I like drug war and has different game play than other maps making it more fun!
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm

chapcrap wrote:With what Armandolas was saying about graphics and gameplay and things like that...

Maybe it's a good idea to try a new way to make maps. There should be a gameplay team that works on the gameplay aspects of maps, people like cairns and Kab can work very well there. A graphics sections where only a few people get to be located, so that we can be saved from some of the atrociousness of some maps... I think we need to remember that it's ok to tell people no if they don't have the skill to make a map look good.

This is an interesting idea, but I fear that it may become an artificial process if done that way.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:With what Armandolas was saying about graphics and gameplay and things like that...

This is an interesting idea, but I fear that it may become an artificial process if done that way.

BMO

that's the way Suggestions work and the site only gets the best.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

greenoaks wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

BMO

While this is true, a Suggestion doesn't take as much long term work on the user's end. Many suggestions can be created and abandoned by a user and still do well, whereas a map takes full effort through the entire process.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby greenoaks on Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

BMO

While this is true, a Suggestion doesn't take as much long term work on the user's end. Many suggestions can be created and abandoned by a user and still do well, whereas a map takes full effort through the entire process.

BMO

if effort from the user is what it takes i would be the cairnswk of suggs :cry:
Sergeant greenoaks

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions