Conquer Club

How much effort is worth it?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How much effort is worth it?

Postby Vid_FISO on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 am

Approaching 6 hours since I first looked at a current escalating quads position, I'm down to one terit but have a set to play. I've printed out a blank map and filled in where I know most of the oppo terits are with reference to BoB snaps over the past few rounds.

The one I'd most like to take out for another set to cash is too far spread, the next to play may or may not have a set, but all terits are just about accessible and would need poor dice for me not to make the kill. Unfortunately that doesn't give me a set to cash this round, but will for the next round, if I/ we don't get wiped out before then which comes down to whether my ideal target has a set or not. I could conceivably take out one of my own team along with the next to play that would give me at least one set, possibly two, but it's pushing it even with good dice and would require splitting my stack at some point, game winner if it comes off though. Well, that's assuming that I can work out what to do next in the remaining time available.

Irrespective of the game position, is one game worth 6+ hours thought? Especially as the first couple of attacks might make all the thought that's gone in totally irrelevant with bad dice.
Major Vid_FISO

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby frankiebee on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 am

6 hours is crazy. Do you have nothing better to do :P ?

My maxium thinking time would be 10 minutes tops (but usually less than one minute). I mean, what kind of new options did you come up with after the first hour of thinking?
Colonel frankiebee

Postby Koganosi on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:56 am

frankiebee wrote:6 hours is crazy. Do you have nothing better to do :P ?

My maxium thinking time would be 10 minutes tops (but usually less than one minute). I mean, what kind of new options did you come up with after the first hour of thinking?

If the map is Hive, it might not be ;). But jeah what frank said, I dont generally take that long about turns. Longest I think is 45 min with 4 other dudes in an quad freestyle. But still most plans are awesome when you make them and when you do them they fail miserably or are still awesome! All about the dice after all.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby Vid_FISO on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

frankiebee wrote:6 hours is crazy. Do you have nothing better to do :P ?

The missus wrote out a list of things for me to do today, so no, nothing better to do :D

I've come up with 7 or 8 ideas, so far .............. :D
Major Vid_FISO

Postby Vid_FISO on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 am

No surprise I guess, took a gamble, took a wrong turn and came up rather short.
Major Vid_FISO

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I think any constructive thought is good thought so no, 6 hours isn't too much time to think about a game. It's better use of your brain than watching television, which a lot of people do on a very regular basis.
I don't generally take this much time but I blame my attention span. I feel that thinking and scheming about a game you are in is probably a pretty fun pastime anyway. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby schmoozeinc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 pm

i think thats why they named it RISK
We're doing crazy shit with food.
Sergeant schmoozeinc

Postby xiangwang on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47 pm

6 hours is a bit much, but you will eventually spend less and less time as you get more experienced.
Brigadier xiangwang

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

my average turn is 20 seconds....even when I am in a complicated freestyle/team games. After a while you can analyze any given situation without so much thought.

I remember a while ago when I was new to freestyle games how much I would have to think about all the possibilites. Standard is easy because it is only 1 turn at a time. There are only so many options that can happen after you go. In freestyle there are 7 people who can possibly go and so each of their turns must be thought of as happening in any given order. I used to lose games because I would only focus on what I could do and not look at the potential of other people. Maybe they have a 3 set or a hidden bonus. When I was able to quickly assess the ability of all others in a game as well as my own options that is when I started winning games. That AND the amount of time I spent learning stuff.

I have never spent 6 hours on a turn, but spending that much time shows tht you are on the right track to becoming a good strategist. =D> =D>
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Vid_FISO on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Age plays a big part too, just can't hold things in my head the way I used to, need to write things down before I forget them, then still go wrong :D
Major Vid_FISO

Postby 40kguy on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:my average turn is 20 seconds....even when I am in a complicated freestyle/team games. After a while you can analyze any given situation without so much thought.

I remember a while ago when I was new to freestyle games how much I would have to think about all the possibilites. Standard is easy because it is only 1 turn at a time. There are only so many options that can happen after you go. In freestyle there are 7 people who can possibly go and so each of their turns must be thought of as happening in any given order. I used to lose games because I would only focus on what I could do and not look at the potential of other people. Maybe they have a 3 set or a hidden bonus. When I was able to quickly assess the ability of all others in a game as well as my own options that is when I started winning games. That AND the amount of time I spent learning stuff.

I have never spent 6 hours on a turn, but spending that much time shows tht you are on the right track to becoming a good strategist. =D> =D>

it doesnt help that whenever you come up with an idea i have to point out all the problems or vis versa ;)
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:49 pm

40kguy wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:my average turn is 20 seconds....even when I am in a complicated freestyle/team games. After a while you can analyze any given situation without so much thought.

it doesnt help that whenever you come up with an idea i have to point out all the problems or vis versa ;)

whenever I play games with you I make sure to take my turns drunk or high. It helps to numb the emotional pain.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby 40kguy on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:07 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:
40kguy wrote:

whenever I play games with you I make sure to take my turns drunk or high. It helps to numb the emotional pain.

sh*t you play high to? dude how do we win games?
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

40kguy wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:
40kguy wrote:

sh*t you play high to? dude how do we win games?

a new study shows that mary jane actually protects brain cells. thats how.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm

I did take almost three rounds to plan an escalating sweep once, and it worked and it was a great high.

But then I had a couple of bad experiences where I planned just as long and hard, and the dice robbed me, and that cured me of the habit. Now the most I'll spend on a turn is 20 minutes planning and 20 minutes execution, and even those moments are rare.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mr Changsha on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Vid_FISO wrote:Approaching 6 hours since I first looked at a current escalating quads position, I'm down to one terit but have a set to play. I've printed out a blank map and filled in where I know most of the oppo terits are with reference to BoB snaps over the past few rounds.

The one I'd most like to take out for another set to cash is too far spread, the next to play may or may not have a set, but all terits are just about accessible and would need poor dice for me not to make the kill. Unfortunately that doesn't give me a set to cash this round, but will for the next round, if I/ we don't get wiped out before then which comes down to whether my ideal target has a set or not. I could conceivably take out one of my own team along with the next to play that would give me at least one set, possibly two, but it's pushing it even with good dice and would require splitting my stack at some point, game winner if it comes off though. Well, that's assuming that I can work out what to do next in the remaining time available.

Irrespective of the game position, is one game worth 6+ hours thought? Especially as the first couple of attacks might make all the thought that's gone in totally irrelevant with bad dice.

I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

I tell you what I look for in a teammate.

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby jsnyder748 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.

count me in this group. must be why I lose so many games.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Mr Changsha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:50 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote:I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

Well interestingly, I was writing of sequential, trips, no cards, sunny, chained...which is both a game of gentleman and the game I currently play.

Now your 51% win rate at this game is not exactly brainless (I will give you that) but it has hardly contributed to that rank of yours.

So if you are indeed the kind of player who plays sequentially very, very quickly and you are a firm advocate of the 'hit the next man fort to the next man' strategy then your results would be just about where I would expect them to be.

Now no doubt you are very good at another form of the game, but I must just say that you certainly aren't all that good at the game I play which, if I may remind you, certainly requires a lot of thought.
Last edited by Mr Changsha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby 40kguy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:

Well interestingly, I was writing of sequential, trips, no cards, sunny, chained...which is both a game of gentleman and the game I currently play.

Now your 51% win rate at this game is not exactly brainless (I will give you that) but it has hardly contributed that to that rank of yours.

So if you are indeed the kind of player who plays sequentially very, very quickly and you are a firm advocate of the 'hit the next man fort to the next man' strategy then your results would be just about where I would expect them to be.

Now no doubt you are very good at another form of the game, but I must just say that you certainly aren't all that good at the game I play which, if I may remind you, certainly requires a lot of thought.

thinking hurts my brain though...
Cook 40kguy

Postby Trevor33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:26 pm

No longer than an hour but those occasions are very rare now, mainly on esc 8 player games and because hate auto-attack.
Major Trevor33

Return to Conquer Club Discussion