Research & Conquer [24 Oct 2013] V37 pg 103

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Research & Conquer [22 Feb 2013] v25 Pg 86

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 pm

No problem at all for the comments, I'm just happy that someone's still working on the map. I likely would have taken it over myself and worked on it bit by bit if I had the ability, but I'm just not anywhere near skilled enough with Photoshop to make a map. Thanks for all your work on the map, I for one really appreciate it and I hope this map gets the serious gameplay it deserves once it gets to Beta.

Here are some thoughts that pop out right away. If I can dig up some more time over the next week I'll give it another look over and see what else I can find, unless you've already got the next version out by then.

- The knobs look a lot better, great work! :)

- "Only the Most Advanced Shall Triumph" is touching, or really really close to touching, the screw on the right. It looks like maybe the right screw is a couple pixels further in than the left from the border, so moving it over to match may fix the problem.

- For the colours of the techs, I think what you have there looks good then if there's colour blind test issues. It's also admittedly a lot easier to tell the difference at a glance even without colour blindness.

- I like how the bridges look now, they have always looked a bit big for how the rest of the map texture looks. Good work :)

- It's nice to see the 888's are fitting well. If you've kept the same size of map, then they'll fit perfectly well there as well... they get a bit cramped, but they're all clear from what I recall of previous versions of the map.

- Mining's bonus explanation seems to be have changed to +3 instead of +2 per mine

- The sigs looks nicer and you can read them now, which is great. Thanks!

I think that covers it for now. Keep up the good work Isaiah :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey Isaiah, just wondering how the progress on this is going? I noticed it's been almost a month since the last update and just wanted to provide some glimmer of interest in the map for encouragement :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby ender516 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Echoing the glimmer...
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm

I am still working on this. I should have an update by Friday! :D
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 am

Yay! Good to hear :)

Do we have anyone who's willing to work on the XML once the graphics are done? I don't know if anyone has access to the old XML that Oliver did. I tried PMing him a couple weeks back for it but haven't heard back from him. I know he doesn't visit CC very much anymore, so it may be quite a while before he returns the PM.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 am

I might be persuaded to look at the XML, especially if the old stuff is available. Even if it isn't, we might be able to find it via the Wayback Machine.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:56 pm

That's good to hear, ender :)

I tried looking back through the thread, but the account Oliver was using to host the XML was closed, so it's no longer available through the link that was posted in the thread. I thought I had a copy of the XML myself, but when I went looking for it, I found never downloaded a copy for myself and only ever looked at it through the link Oliver posted. If there's some other way to get a copy of the old XML, that would be great. Most of it was completed already, with a few modifications being needed. I had noted a few of the required modifications a few times in the thread and can easily find the list again if needed. Some recent changes to code have also made some other changes necessary and will greatly help reduce the bulk of the code.

Anyway, it's good to hear that someone may be willing to take a look into it. I may be able to help a bit with it myself if a worst case scenario ends up happening, but my time is very limited these days and for me to even do a portion of the code would end up taking months at best. I'm also limited in my understanding of the coding system.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Well, sadly, the XML didn't get picked up by the Wayback Machine. So unless someone else downloaded it and still has it, I guess we are starting over.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 pm

If either one of you ender and Tanarri want to do the XML that will be great!!

On another note, I'm a little behind this week, so an update will be forthcoming this weekend, not tomorrow like I was wanting. :(
ImageImage
Lieutenant isaiah40

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am

Well, I took a look into my own little "Wayback Machine" on the really off chance that I would have thought to save some contact info for Oliver when I left CC and it turns out I did. Hopefully the contact info is good and he still has the XML :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:31 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Well, I took a look into my own little "Wayback Machine" on the really off chance that I would have thought to save some contact info for Oliver when I left CC and it turns out I did. Hopefully the contact info is good and he still has the XML :)

=D> [-o<
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm still working on the update! I had to go in a slightly different direction for the region borders as it was looking rather cramped with the symbols - and I only had the mine symbol on - 888's and region names. I should be able to post something here shortly. [-o<
ImageImage
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm

How about just a post. Anything really would be nice just to see what direction you are taking this in.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm

koontz1973 wrote:How about just a post. Anything really would be nice just to see what direction you are taking this in.

Yeah, something today would be great just to see how things are progressing.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Here is the update. I am trying hexagons for the regions as to keep the map clear and easy to read. This means that there will be a reduction of regions, but for gameplay and graphical clarity I believe this is somewhat the direction I need to go in. As you can see the mining symbols (which I have changed) are easy to see with the region name and 888. I have included the small map for now.

I may have to make the small 80% of the large to make sure the 888's fit in the gauges. The 888's on the selector knobs on the small can be placed around the outside of the plates, so I'm not too concerned about those. So what do you think??

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Small
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry