Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP] - XML SUBMITTED - 9/18

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Gilligan wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:If I'm reading the previous messages correctly, I believe there were some changes made the the crew locations which shouldn't have been made? It's been such a long time since I've paid much attention to the design of this map, so perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what it sounds like if you go to the top of the previous page.

I believe that was regarding XML and not change in game play.

The comment I was talking about sounded like nolefan was confused on how a gameplay aspect was supposed to work and had suggested a change to the XML which ended up not being needed. My concern is to make sure you didn't change the XML as nolefan suggested for that one part, since the XML sounded like it was supposed to be the way it was originally in that regard and nolefan just didn't understand the gameplay aspect when he made the suggestion.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 pm

BTW Gilligan, thanks for taking the initiative here to fix the last bit of XML that needed to be updated. It'll be great to see this map finally in play :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:BTW Gilligan, thanks for taking the initiative here to fix the last bit of XML that needed to be updated. It'll be great to see this map finally in play :)

I agree, I have had so little time and have had to put any map development on hold due to real life. I am glad Gilligan stepped up and finished this for us all.

Oddly I just quit my job and I am currently looking so I have a bit of time to poke around with maps for a few weeks while I look... timing is a wonderful thing isn't it ... If anyone knows of any front end web development jobs in the Seattle area please message me.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML] - XML SUBMITTED

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Any chance I can update the graphics and add Gilligan for the XML work?

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/5716/c500100sm.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/4578/c500100lg.png

Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML] - Waiting For Beta

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Turn on your engines!
It's time to race! :D

Beta - Quenching

---The development period has concluded for the Conquer 500 Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Admins or Foundry Foreman vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. It is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.
    3. Write a "creative" map description and send it to the Foundry Foreman via PM. You're encouraged to post it into the first post of the thread as well; the description will be used to populate the maps database.

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML] - Waiting For Beta

Postby Gilligan on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 pm

huzzah!
Captain Gilligan

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML Beta]

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Wow ... nice ... I'll get on those bullet points ... see you guys all on the track

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:20 am

Oh wow ... it's been so long I thought this day would never come. Congrats and thanks Dolomite for hanging in there and delivering! :) EDIT ... yes, thanks Gilligan for helping make it happen and doing such a great job on the XML
Last edited by thehippo8 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:35 am

thehippo8 wrote:Oh wow ... it's been so long I thought this day would never come. Congrats and thanks Dolomite for hanging in there and delivering! :)

And big thanks to Gilligan for finishing up that XML.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:20 am

no problem!

but there is a little issue...

dolomite, you seemed to have changed the size when doing an update?!

this one is 800x782 (which is what I did for the xml) but the one live and most recent update is 808v790, and the coordinates on the large map aren't center.
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't have a single version saved to my machine that is 800x782 it must have been something imageshack did to the image. I never had this issue when using flickr.

Lets try this one that I re-sized.

Corrected Image

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1535 ... 800782.png

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:40 pm

The file has been sent.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby betiko on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:31 pm

i ve been playing it today, and to tell the truth it looks like 100% of the games have ended with the player starting first in 1v1, people complained about it in chats as well. i think it's possible to get way too much bonus on turn 1, player 2 has to go through 3 neutrals of 2 to break the bonuses taken by player 1. otherwise I like the concept (didn't catch too well how the track jumping goes, not clear why certain segments can attack each other and also it looks like you can only attack in front but you can also attack behind, i would ve thought o a circus maximus logic)

anyway just a little feedback, and thanks for the map.
Major betiko

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 am

betiko wrote:i ve been playing it today, and to tell the truth it looks like 100% of the games have ended with the player starting first in 1v1, people complained about it in chats as well. i think it's possible to get way too much bonus on turn 1, player 2 has to go through 3 neutrals of 2 to break the bonuses taken by player 1. otherwise I like the concept (didn't catch too well how the track jumping goes, not clear why certain segments can attack each other and also it looks like you can only attack in front but you can also attack behind, i would ve thought o a circus maximus logic)

anyway just a little feedback, and thanks for the map.

Interesting about 1v1 ... I am going to play a few and see if that's indeed true. If so there may need to be some balancing done somewhere.

The attacks around the track were done that way to simulate overtaking as well as track positioning and drafting etc... racing strategy ...

In this example

X Y Z >> A B C >> D E F >> G H I

A can attack B,C,D,E,F but not G,H,I,X,Y,Z
B can attack A,C,D,E,F but not G,H,I,X,Y,Z
C can attack A,B,D,E,F but not G,H,I,X,Y,Z
D can attack E,F,G,H,I but not A,B,C or X,Y,Z

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 am

Game 12533060 I took Pit Equipment A and it is giving me +3 for that one spot. According to the legend it is +3 if you hold 1 of each Fuel, Tires and Engine. Or am I reading it wrong??
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 am

isaiah40 wrote:Game 12533060 I took Pit Equipment A and it is giving me +3 for that one spot. According to the legend it is +3 if you hold 1 of each Fuel, Tires and Engine. Or am I reading it wrong??

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. Continents overview describes it as "A Pit Tool, a Pit Jack, and a Pit Engine".

I think I see the problem in the code:

Code: Select all
<continent>
<name>A Pit Tool and A Pit Jack and A Pit Engine</name>
<bonus>3</bonus>
<components>
<continent>A Pit Fuel</continent>
<continent>A Pit Tires</continent>
<continent>A Pit Engine</continent>
</components>
<required>1</required>
<overrides>
<override>A Pit Fuel</override>
<override>A Pit Tires</override>
<override>A Pit Engine</override>
</overrides>
</continent>

I think the <required> tag is throwing it all off.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby ender516 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Right. The <required> tag gives the minimum number of components required to earn the bonus. That tag would be appropriate in the component continents, but not in this one summing them up.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 pm

You are correct... It shouldn't give +3 for holding only one of the 3 red icons ... it should for holding only 1 of each fuel,tires, engine.
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:50 pm

In A 2 player game it does seem like player 1 can get off to a bonus big enough to clear out the track and get that 40 bonus too quickly. I think I won in three or four turns.

Not sure what can be done about that. Perhapse the fuel, tires, engine spots need to be bumped to 3 neutral and their overall bonus decreased to +2 for holding one of each because they are the conduit to bombard the cars. Or perhaps they could have conditional borders added and you would need to hold one of each to bombard the cars. I am just thinking out loud now.

I am also seeing people ignore the track ... maybe the red circles on the track could have an autodeploy of 2 added or a +1 bonus added for them to make them attractive and make people concentrate more on the track as well.

Thoughts?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:34 pm

dolomite13 wrote:In A 2 player game it does seem like player 1 can get off to a bonus big enough to clear out the track and get that 40 bonus too quickly. I think I won in three or four turns.

Not sure what can be done about that. Perhapse the fuel, tires, engine spots need to be bumped to 3 neutral and their overall bonus decreased to +2 for holding one of each because they are the conduit to bombard the cars. Or perhaps they could have conditional borders added and you would need to hold one of each to bombard the cars. I am just thinking out loud now.

I am also seeing people ignore the track ... maybe the red circles on the track could have an autodeploy of 2 added or a +1 bonus added for them to make them attractive and make people concentrate more on the track as well.

Thoughts?

=D=

That would be really fun in trench! :D

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Gilligan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am

Yeah, the map is very broken in 1v1. Either add max starting positions, or lower the bonus of the fuel/engine/tires.
Captain Gilligan

Postby b00060 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Neutrals need to be 3 or higher.. Player going first gets almost 20 men after one round and can easily bombard second player to deploy less than 3. Going second equals definite loss.
Major b00060

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I think that a few things would be needed to make the map balanced on 1v1 and would slow down or refocus the map on games with more players or teams.

The intent has always been to make the bonus from the track and holding track position important and allow you to eventually "pit" and fix your car conditions so that you could then move on to taking pit equipment which in turn would let you decrease your opponents bonuses and allow you to take more of the track.

- Changing the fuel, engine, and tires pit equipment and car conditions to 3 neutral each. I like the tools and jack at 2 neutrals as the bonus there of +2 for one of each and the lower start value could be attractive early game.

- Limiting each player to a single pit crew. This would slow down expansion in the pit equipment and car condition area.

- Fixing XML for fuel, tires, engine pit equipment to no bonus unless you hold one of each.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby murphy16 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:59 pm

most likely a map I wont be playing again, just had someone drop 23 or so in the second round and a 1 min round game, not impressed
Sergeant 1st Class murphy16

Postby Gilligan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

murphy16 wrote:most likely a map I wont be playing again, just had someone drop 23 or so in the second round and a 1 min round game, not impressed

:roll: :roll: :roll:

There's someone that doesn't understand the point of Beta phase.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas