Conquer Club

History Channel: "The Bible"

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: History Channel: "The Bible"

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 am

Ray Rider wrote:lol jk, seriously though, it's a pretty funny coincidence.

You seriously think this is "just a cooincidence"?
Apparently you have not visited many conservative Christian or right wing sites lately. According to many, Obama IS Satan.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Apparently you have not visited many conservative Christian or right wing sites lately. According to many, Obama IS Satan.

The creators of the show put out a statement using the term "ludicrous," I believe, in reference to people like Player and Juan who think the actor was chosen based upon his resemblance to the president. I also don't think the accomplished actor would appreciate the racist undertones of the accusation.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 am

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

The creators of the show put out a statement using the term "ludicrous," I believe, in reference to people like Player and Juan who think the actor was chosen based upon his resemblance to the president. I also don't think the accomplished actor would appreciate the racist undertones of the accusation.

Yeah, and of course people never, ever lie to themselves about such things... and not sure I mentioned race. So, rather a jump on your part.. there.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am

The shows head producers are actually conservative Christians who made a show about the Bible's version of history on a supposedly educational channel about real history.
Makes you think... "are these the most trustworthy of people?"

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Yeah, and of course people never, ever lie to themselves about such things... and not sure I mentioned race. So, rather a jump on your part.. there.

Not sure I did anything wrong except post a picture.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

chang50 wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:I think the reference is to Stamford Bridge, not Hastings.

Except he specifically mentions Hastings,where the Anglo Saxon king Harold Godwin was defeated who succeeded Edward the Confessor another Anglo Saxon who succeeded the last Viking king Hardicanute 24 years before 1066.

Oh good point. On re-reading you are correct. The Normans were more viking than the Saxons, true.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby warmonger1981 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 pm

From what I've heard the guy has played satan in numerous other projects. Dont know if it is true or not.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Maugena on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Yes, his resemblance to Obama is... just about non-existent, sorry.
It's just how he's portrayed in the show that makes him vaguely appear like Obama.
Perhaps it was intentional, perhaps it wasn't, but based on his history in the film industry and how he looks normally, I'd call this a coincidence.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653405/
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Ray Rider on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Jesus finds that hilarious:
Although History raised eyebrows for the controversial casting of a President Obama-esque Satan in The Bible mini-series, the actor who plays Jesus calls the situation "hilarious."
our editor recommends

"I don't think that's controversial at all, I think that's so funny," Diogo Morgado told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's just funny."

Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, who plays the devil, "did a nice job and it was awesome and never -- not even for one second -- were we even thinking about that, so I think it's hilarious," said Morgado. "At the same time, I think it's just a sign of how successful the show is" because people are paying attention to "silly things."

lol sorry, I couldn't resist.

Juan_Bottom wrote:The shows head producers are actually conservative Christians who made a show about the Bible's version of history on a supposedly educational channel about real history.
Makes you think... "are these the most trustworthy of people?"

Meh, I don't see any problem with a history channel producing a series dramatizing one of the most influential books in history. Besides, 2.2 billion people around the globe either consider it to be a historical book or at least contain sections of historical narrative (and that's not including the Jews who believe the Old Testament and the Muslims who also believe parts of it). I'm curious to see if this series will become as popular as the old Jesus film from the early 80s. Last I heard, that one had been translated into over 1000 languages and counting.

I was reading a bit about the series and I guess on opening night it garnered the largest cable-television audience of 2013 so far, even beating American Idol. I bought the first two episodes on iTunes to check it out for myself, and of course it's easy to criticize parts--for example the CGI effects could've been better, costumes more realistic (not brand new clothing), and more culturally realistic characters (darker skinned, more like the Arabs of today)--however I would say the series is pretty good, especially when compared to a lot of the cheesy movies that conservative/Christian organizations produce. I'll definitely buy the whole series when it's released on DVD.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:58 am

Vikings is much better.

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

warmonger1981 wrote:From what I've heard the guy has played satan in numerous other projects. Dont know if it is true or not.

Satan always gets good, continuous work I hear.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MegaProphet on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Symmetry wrote:Vikings is much better.

Agreed
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 am

I agree with Symmetry on this point: "Vikings is much better."

I have enjoyed watching the Vikings on the History Channel. Yes, it is violent, but that is the type of warriors they were. And yes, much of the show is based on Legends, AND NOT JUS on the facts. As the writers have stated, it is difficult to separate fact from legend. The character Ragnar Lothbrok is a likely a combination of several actual Viking Leaders; their accomplishments were merged into one many as the story was told in Oral History and entertaining stories, BEFORE anything was written down many years AFTER the actual events. Stories of King Arthur are along the same line.

Mike JP4Fun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Lodbrok

Symmetry wrote:Vikings is much better.

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby xtratabasco on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am

Dukasaur wrote:I'd rather see them do a show about something interesting than another show about garbage collectors.

I mean seriously, how many shows about redneck retards haggling over garbage can there be?

might be more interesting than you think. were I live (where recycling is all the rage but not really done, they just throw it in with the rest of the garbage after the city government signed the 30 conctract) the garbage companies are ran by the garbage mafia. and the starting wages are around 22 an hour.
Corporal xtratabasco

Postby hotfire on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:37 pm

ITT: Scandinavian history is brutally misrepresented. Read a book people.
Colonel hotfire

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:36 am

hotfire wrote:ITT: Scandinavian history is brutally misrepresented. Read a book people.

Which brutally misrepresented book should we read?
Captain notyou2

Postby hotfire on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51 am

notyou2 wrote:
hotfire wrote:ITT: Scandinavian history is brutally misrepresented. Read a book people.

Any book should suffice to raise the standard from this.
Colonel hotfire

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 am

hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

This one?
https://books.google.ca/books?id=eDh5z2_K_S0C&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=scandinavian+brutality+in+history&source=bl&ots=5vddWSAfkY&sig=rH9jvXlEViXLtyAyzpm-bjHZfuw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO9J7ZqLDRAhUmqlQKHTmmBLsQ6AEISjAJ#v=onepage&q=scandinavian%20brutality%20in%20history&f=false
Captain notyou2

Postby hotfire on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:14 am

Dukasaur wrote:
patches70 wrote:And this is kinds of LOL, though I mean no disrespect-
Duke wrote:and climate change destroyed the fishing they depended on

Burning a lot of fossil fuels were they? Is that man made climate change?
I think it's safer to say that the northmen simply outgrew the resources they had available. That is there were too many of them to be fed with the current state of their fisheries. But you may be right, I'm just a bit skeptical with that particular conclusion of yours. As you say, their soil wasn't the most fertile for farming.
I've never heard anyone of any note tying viking expansion to climate change.
The theories are that they outgrew their resources, looking for revenge, looking for wives, seeking new trade routes and that it was just easier for them to go raiding than it was to try and clear land to provide greater resources for farming in a natural climate that was not conducive to farming in the first place. But never climate change per say. But, who knows, maybe.

The Medieval Warm period caused the North Sea herring to move further north towards the Barents Sea. I know I've read about that, but I don't have the book any more and I really suck at Internet searching. :lol: I googled "effects of the Medieval Warm Period on Norse expansion" and various variations thereof, and all I got was articles about the positive effects, such as the decline of the ice packs allowing the Norsemen to colonise Iceland and Greenland. Anyway, as you say, it wasn't the only cause, so we can just leave it at that.

Climate change is more than just the cooling, warming and changing of temperatures. A change in local precipitation resulting from local deforestation which affects local agriculture, flora, fauna, ground and surface waters are able to be studied and documented back thousands of years. And yes this type of climate change is very much man made.
Colonel hotfire

Postby hotfire on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:16 am

notyou2 wrote:
hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

This one?
https://books.google.ca/books?id=eDh5z2_K_S0C&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=scandinavian+brutality+in+history&source=bl&ots=5vddWSAfkY&sig=rH9jvXlEViXLtyAyzpm-bjHZfuw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO9J7ZqLDRAhUmqlQKHTmmBLsQ6AEISjAJ#v=onepage&q=scandinavian%20brutality%20in%20history&f=false

No not that one.
Colonel hotfire

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

OK...read some of the book at the LINK provided and did not see any such discussion of Brutality or lack thereof. Does someone want to cite a page # or set of pages, or is this REALLY NOT the book that discusses ANY of this topic?.......

Much of what I read was simply "history" (compilation of events) but not much mention of BRUTALITY. I did read where the owner of a slave was not responsible for the death of a slave, whether overworked or....."misused"...cannot recall the exact QUOTE.....

Mike JP4Fun

hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

This one?

No not that one.
Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby hotfire on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:50 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:OK...read some of the book at the LINK provided and did not see any such discussion of Brutality or lack thereof. Does someone want to cite a page # or set of pages, or is this REALLY NOT the book that discusses ANY of this topic?.......

Much of what I read was simply "history" (compilation of events) but not much mention of BRUTALITY. I did read where the owner of a slave was not responsible for the death of a slave, whether overworked or....."misused"...cannot recall the exact QUOTE.....

Mike JP4Fun

hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
hotfire wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

This one?

No not that one.

I now see that brutally was the wrong adverb to use. Grossly would have been a better choice.
Colonel hotfire

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 am

I've read some Norse Sagas. They're way way more brutal than anything on TV.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby hotfire on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I've read some Norse Sagas. They're way way more brutal than anything on TV.

Yes, but they also farmed during most of the year. Which of course makes for a boring story.
Colonel hotfire

Postby riskllama on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 pm

farming can be brutal.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby BoganGod on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:53 pm

riskllama wrote:farming can be brutal.

Sods law and all that.

RGJ
Corporal BoganGod

PreviousNext