Conquer Club

Fundamental flaws in the Republican Party

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fundamental flaws in the Republican Party

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

tzor wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:If you believe that, then you have no idea what real liberals even say, never mind what liberal bias sounds like. The media is pretty right of the center, with the exception of homosexuality and a couple other narrow issues.

The media is "right of center" if you consider the center, on a scale of 1 to 10 to be, say a 2. I'm sorry but 3 is still left of 5.

No, its "right of center" if you use any accepted pre-1981 definition of "center".
Like I said, most people today have never really heard a truly liberal position, except on homosexuality and a few other very narrow topics.

And in the case of homosexuality, the current moderate position would have been an extreme left position back then.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am

Gillipig wrote:I thought I already closed this topic. There are fundamental flaws in both parties because the system which the parties live by is flawed.

That is absolutely true. However since destroying both parties and creating an entirely new system is not an option for Americans today... we have to work with what we can do. That means debating each party, while working within and outside to accomplish real goals.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Gillipig on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I thought I already closed this topic. There are fundamental flaws in both parties because the system which the parties live by is flawed.

That is absolutely true. However since destroying both parties and creating an entirely new system is not an option for Americans today... we have to work with what we can do. That means debating each party, while working within and outside to accomplish real goals.

Then how will a new system come about? Any form of government is only strong as long as the people support it. If people stopped voting for the best of two bad alternatives and just withheld their vote we would soon see a change in the political climate.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Gillipig wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

Then how will a new system come about? Any form of government is only strong as long as the people support it. If people stopped voting for the best of two bad alternatives and just withheld their vote we would soon see a change in the political climate.

By voting for the best of the options, by starting locally to bring in and elect real alternatives, by working on referendums and education, by fighting for what is right and true, on all fronts.

I am not all that familiar with Sweden's system, but I know that in DK, they have many parties that each get some power, allocated based on the votes. Our system is just entirely different. The parties were never intended to represent any kind of ideal view, despite the rhetoric. In fact, I can remember my political science professor chuckling with some well known elected officials over that very thing... how the R vs D thing was really fiction, just a convenient way to ensure we don't have an appointment type system.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby tzor on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:And in the case of homosexuality, the current moderate position would have been an extreme left position back then.

"Left" and "right" have no real meaning on social issues. Or rather they wrap around significantly. Many fiscal conservatives are social "libertarians" which is basically the same as social liberals but without government overreach. The late William F. Buckley Jr. was known for what many social conservatives would have considered "leftist" views towards minor drugs like pot and I suspect he would be strongly for the legalization of same gender marriage as well, were he living today.

And the definition of "center" was in fact influenced by a strongly left biased media. Only before the 1980's they had the ability to hide this by their semi-monopoly status as well as the tact not to make it exceptionally obvious. Back when there was only three major television news outlets, this was easy. It was ironic that the first "shot across the bow" was made by PBS, but at the time, their support of conservatives, like William F. Buckley Jr. was the only real place for an alternative viewpoint to the network news slanted reporting.
Cadet tzor

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

By voting for the best of the options, by starting locally to bring in and elect real alternatives, by working on referendums and education, by fighting for what is right and true, on all fronts.

I am not all that familiar with Sweden's system, but I know that in DK, they have many parties that each get some power, allocated based on the votes. Our system is just entirely different. The parties were never intended to represent any kind of ideal view, despite the rhetoric. In fact, I can remember my political science professor chuckling with some well known elected officials over that very thing... how the R vs D thing was really fiction, just a convenient way to ensure we don't have an appointment type system.

And what happens if no party suggests what needs to be suggested? What happens if they agree among themselves to not touch a subject? That's what's happening in Sweden. You can't vote for any of them because they all like the status quo. We actually have a pseudo democrazy over here. Plenty of alternatives, but all alternatives agree on many subjects. How are you going to lower politicians wages for example, when it takes a politician to suggest it and a majority of his colleagues to approve it? They have to agree that they earn too much lol. They'll never do that, so their wages will continue to go up and up and up. How are you going to stop them from lowering taxes when even the right alternative sneaks in taxes like congestion pricing? They all want to raise the taxes, only difference is that some wants to raise it straight up, officially, while others want to sneak in niche taxes so that the official number isn't getting bigger but they still get more taxes. Welcome to swedish politics.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 am

This sounds like the conclusion of a solid "b" first year undergraduate essay.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 am

Gillipig wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

And what happens if no party suggests what needs to be suggested? What happens if they agree among themselves to not touch a subject? That's what's happening in Sweden. You can't vote for any of them because they all like the status quo. We actually have a pseudo democrazy over here. Plenty of alternatives, but all alternatives agree on many subjects. How are you going to lower politicians wages for example, when it takes a politician to suggest it and a majority of his colleagues to approve it? They have to agree that they earn too much lol. They'll never do that, so their wages will continue to go up and up and up. How are you going to stop them from lowering taxes when even the right alternative sneaks in taxes like congestion pricing? They all want to raise the taxes, only difference is that some wants to raise it straight up, officially, while others want to sneak in niche taxes so that the official number isn't getting bigger but they still get more taxes. Welcome to swedish politics.

Sounds like Sweden is not all that different than the US (except, of course you do have a monarchy – lol)
The first thing is to make sure that truth prevails. The internet has opened up a forum where people can basically say whatever they want, without any real check. “Truth” is more and more determined by who can create a slick website… and attract like-minded individuals who often don’t even know there IS a real opposition, never mind what it constitutes
(aka Tzor’s claim that I am a flaming liberal)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Symmetry wrote:

It's easy to understand but hard to truly grasp, much like chess.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I think a B is a good grade. I would have given you a C+ at best.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Lootifer on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I think a B is a good grade. I would have given you a C+ at best.

I like how its such a simple and obvious conclusion (thus C+ tops) yet its still how we do things? Goooooooooooooood times
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Lootifer wrote:I like how its such a simple and obvious conclusion (thus C+ tops) yet its still how we do things? Goooooooooooooood times

Stuff like this, or join in:

The Campaign Legal Center
http://www.campaignlegalcenter.org/inde ... &Itemid=64

center for responsive politics
http://www.opensecrets.org/

The problem is dealing with those 100+ million uninformed voters...

So, then someone says, "we need education. Lots of education."

Government-provided education?

"Yes."

<groans>

Even private education can be lacking on this. The US is undergoing an ideological problem which slightly began in the 1890s but picked up steam in the 1930s and for awhile has shifted us into a more aggressive, expansionist state---with applause by the citizens all around. Since the ideology is older than most generations today, then many take the current state of affairs for granted, so change for the better and from this situation becomes neglected. Currently, there's five kinds of voters:

(1) don't care and don't understand--but "at least I got mine."
(2) care enthusiastically but don't understand,
(3) care somewhat but don't understand,
(4) care enthusiastically but do understand
(5) don't care but do understand.

There's too much #1, #2, and #3. #2 and #3 do the most damage. There's not enough and hardly any #4, and I have my doubts about #5.
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am

www.opensecrets.org

That's a good place to start too.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby stahrgazer on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:38 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
tzor wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:If you believe that, then you have no idea what real liberals even say, never mind what liberal bias sounds like. The media is pretty right of the center, with the exception of homosexuality and a couple other narrow issues.

The media is "right of center" if you consider the center, on a scale of 1 to 10 to be, say a 2. I'm sorry but 3 is still left of 5.

No, its "right of center" if you use any accepted pre-1981 definition of "center".
Like I said, most people today have never really heard a truly liberal position, except on homosexuality and a few other very narrow topics.

And in the case of homosexuality, the current moderate position would have been an extreme left position back then.

True. Reagan made strides in bringing conservatism more acceptable, which shifted the center-past to the center-then; "conservatism" that was formally to the right, in many issues, became a "center" position.

Similarly, a combination of Bush-hatred and Obama-love shifted the center again, so that more and more liberal positions are considered "center".

But this isn't just because of politics or the media. "The young," tend to be more liberal while "the old" tend to be more conservative.

For example, with gay marriage, a majority of young adults favor it while a majority of older adults either do not favor it at all or favor it only if called "social union" leaving the religious aspect of "marriage" intact.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,