Conquer Club

is it that hard ?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

is it that hard ?

Postby ben79 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Is it that hard to put 2 different colours for bonuses next to each other? A pale one next to a dark one ? Black and white alike ?

I'm colorblind and i just played one of the worst map out there ( for the colours of regions i mean )

Kingdom of Denmark : Syd Jylland and Sonder Jylland are the same to my eyes.
Magyarország : all the regions look alike on that map.
Midkemdil : the 2 blue regions, and the 2 green regions look alike.
same thing with Labyrinth map.
Philadelphia map colours are aweful ( one of the worst artistic design out there ).

My question is : when the site is about to release a map out of beta, can the makers ask a few colourblind people what they think of the look, and if the regions colours are too much the same ?

Not complaining on the gameplay, just the colours, sometimes cost the game !

Hopefully in the future it'll change, ben79
Lieutenant ben79

Re: is it that hard ?

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm

We care about colorblind people. I was used to ask to colorblind friends when i was a graphics CA. Right now i don't know anyone on CC who is colorblind to help us. If you are willing to help I would be happy to send you a pm when the graphics stamp is going to be given. Right now we use only tools, but nothing is better than a real human eye. ;)
Said that, there are so various forms of color deficiency that it's hard to please everyone.

In any case i will double check those maps you listed because I'm damned sure we tested them...
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 pm

ben79 wrote:Is it that hard to put 2 different colours for bonuses next to each other? A pale one next to a dark one ? Black and white alike ?

I'm colorblind and i just played one of the worst map out there ( for the colours of regions i mean )

Kingdom of Denmark : Syd Jylland and Sonder Jylland are the same to my eyes.
Magyarország : all the regions look alike on that map.
Midkemdil : the 2 blue regions, and the 2 green regions look alike.
same thing with Labyrinth map.
Philadelphia map colours are aweful ( one of the worst artistic design out there ).

My question is : when the site is about to release a map out of beta, can the makers ask a few colourblind people what they think of the look, and if the regions colours are too much the same ?

Not complaining on the gameplay, just the colours, sometimes cost the game !

Hopefully in the future it'll change, ben79

The only map there is Midkemdil and that would not of gone though the same things as later maps. All the other maps, before they even get into beta have to go through visicheck and show for all three different types of CB.
  • Deuteranope
  • Protanope
  • Tritanope

Kingdom of Denmark and Magyarország went through this check, a colour blind player even posted in the thread of Magyarország saying he was happy with it. Our recently departed CA nolefan is colour blind as well.
So for the first three, their is nothing anyone can do. They have all been played on, commented on and passed the foundry tests.

Philadelphia is going through colour changes now to get the best possible look. As the maker of Labs, what is it you are having trouble with. Go to the thread and tell me. Like Mags, if I do not know or any map maker for that manner, how can we know you are struggling?

In fact, and here is a great thing for you, now that you have found us, stick with us. Go and look at the maps with this symbol. Image It will let you know that graphics are being discussed and input over colour blind issues must be taken into account.

Here is the CB images from Labs. Considering the whole map is green apart from the yellow dead warriors and the blue for the sirens, what part do you find hard to see?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ben79 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

all the maps i've listed need to be fixed, believe me i can't see the difference and i'm a not a big colorblind ( don't know wich kind i am actually ) but what i've listed i can't see a difference
Lieutenant ben79

Postby Oneyed on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm

koontz1973 wrote:a colour blind player even posted in the thread of Magyarország saying he was happy with it. Our recently departed CA nolefan is colour blind as well.

who exactly are these colourblind peolpe? except nolefan?
koontz1973 wrote:So for the first three, their is nothing anyone can do. They have all been played on, commented on and passed the foundry tests.

btw, there is no one colourblind map posted in Magyarorsag topic...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

For maps which are really tough for me, I use Continents Overview, which is a script within BOB, I believe. Do you use BOB?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby benga on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I am not colorblind and Magy is just terrible, but koontz seems to still be in communism with his coloring of maps.
Sergeant benga

Postby Oneyed on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 am

here is Vischeck color blind test. the map is smaller (due Vischeck) but everybody can see how map looks. I am stunned how this could go through Foundry.

koontz there is only one post in Magyarorszag map topic about color blind test. and it is from thenobodies, but no more (let alone that you told that color blind peolpe post in this topic and they are fine with colours)...

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 pm

By the way, I know it's not a solution (it's the responsibility of the map developers to solve this kind of problem), but installing BoB should help with identifying bonuses.

viewtopic.php?f=527&t=161049&start=0#p2104087
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 am

benga wrote:I am not colorblind and Magy is just terrible.

+1

The same with Philadelphia and Labyrinth as far as graphics and colors go. I've already mentioned things about them before, but the graphics quality really just isn't up to par with many new maps.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Gilligan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Labyrinth?? Really? I think that map is extremely aesthetically pleasing.
Captain Gilligan

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Gilligan wrote:Labyrinth?? Really? I think that map is extremely aesthetically pleasing.

For me, I was speaking more about the colors... I'm not sure, there's just something that makes me not quite enjoy it. I do like that it looks a lot like an actual board game though.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Gilligan wrote:Labyrinth?? Really? I think that map is extremely aesthetically pleasing.

For me, I was speaking more about the colors... I'm not sure, there's just something that makes me not quite enjoy it. I do like that it looks a lot like an actual board game though.

Each to their own. You will never please everyone but you can try to please those that take part in the process.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am

koontz1973 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Each to their own. You will never please everyone but you can try to please those that take part in the process.

I take part when I can and have commented in multiple places in the past about graphic and color quality.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby IcePack on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

chapcrap wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

I take part when I can and have commented in multiple places in the past about graphic and color quality.

I'm a big fan of Lab, I don't have many issues w it graphically. The others I don't play often enough to commet

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Foundry Discussions